Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

illectro posted:

I've often said the iPhone AirDrop feature is great.

:frogout: you clever bastard

Tangent: the titanium iPhones are no joke, my wife dropped one on our stone floor, corner impact. It chipped the stone and took not even a scuff.

Back to business at hand: https://theaircurrent.com/feed/dispatches/united-finds-loose-bolts-on-plug-doors-during-737-max-9-inspections/

The Air Current posted:

United Airlines has found loose bolts and other parts on 737 Max 9 plug doors as it inspects its fleet of Boeing jets following the Friday rapid depressurization aboard an Alaska Airlines jet of the same make, according to three people familiar with the findings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
never trust spirit, the airline or the aviation manufacturing company

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

illectro posted:

I've often said the iPhone AirDrop feature is great.

Thread title?

Wombot posted:

:frogout: you clever bastard

Tangent: the titanium iPhones are no joke, my wife dropped one on our stone floor, corner impact. It chipped the stone and took not even a scuff.

Back to business at hand: https://theaircurrent.com/feed/dispatches/united-finds-loose-bolts-on-plug-doors-during-737-max-9-inspections/

If it’s Boeing it ain’t going.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

jfc

https://twitter.com/byerussell/status/1744460136855294106?s=46

Is it time for 737 MAX groundings 2: electric boogaloo

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Holy gently caress

they need to all be grounded this is insane

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maLBGFYl9_o&t=246s

Should be timestamped to start of discussion on how the door is hung, otherwise skip to 4 minutes in.

Takeaway is that the door, despite being called a "plug", is not actually physically a plug to the fuselage - the plug can hinge outward and is solely retained against cabin pressure via bolts and roller pins that engage a track at the top of the door.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

hobbesmaster posted:

jfc

https://twitter.com/byerussell/status/1744460136855294106?s=46

Is it time for 737 MAX groundings 2: electric boogaloo

Who installs the plug, airline maintenance or Boeing?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

hobbesmaster posted:

Thread title?

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

This is all hearsay from People On The Internet so I'm open to being proved wrong, but supposedly the responsibility for testing and checking those doors is part of the Final Assembly Line tasks - ie, Boeing's Renton plant.

edit:

hobbesmaster posted:

Thread title?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Potato Salad posted:

No one, it turns out.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Platystemon posted:

No one, it turns out.

lol

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Platystemon posted:

No one, it turns out.

:guillotine:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Now imagine how many other bolts are in those planes and how many of them might be loose

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Gonna laugh when the insane documentation that shows who touches every single part of an airplane is blank so they can't figure out who didn't torque the bolts properly.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Potato Salad posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirit_AeroSystems

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

fknlo posted:

Gonna laugh when the insane documentation that shows who touches every single part of an airplane is blank so they can't figure out who didn't torque the bolts properly.

it's absolutely not blank

however, did the person who signed off the operation to do that particular bit of work actually do it? or was it their lead or coworker? who knows!?

CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

Platystemon posted:

No one, it turns out.

:five:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

FuturePastNow posted:

Now imagine how many other bolts are in those planes and how many of them might be loose

And I'm sure that doesn't even include the "special prizes" that get left in the fuselages, like a ladder in the fuel tank of a KC-46! :v:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Potato Salad posted:

But apparently Boeing may have to uninstall and reinstall it in Renton? Regardless, technically all of those things are supposed to be checked in Renton.

https://twitter.com/jonostrower/status/1744474360956780614?s=46

That’s actually a much more alarming timeframe than I was initially expecting! Wikipedia says there were 343 deliveries in 2023 and 374 in 2022. According to twitter United accepted 39 deliveries during that time frame and found 5 with loose fasteners. In one subsystem.

Ah well, that’s the legendary aviation (does some math) 0.97 9s of reliability for you!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

How do regulators even respond to something like this (besides the glib "let Boeing do what they want")?

Do you haul in all planes that were built in the timeframe that this particular issue was found and do a complete post assembly inspection? I mean, if this was an assembly issue that's not due to some flawed process for this specific thing and instead was just negligence in general work, then any number of other things could be suspect.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

i almost bought the first aid kit from whaletail but $100 for a neat novelty bag is steep even for my dumb rear end

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

bull3964 posted:

Do you haul in all planes that were built in the timeframe that this particular issue was found and do a complete post assembly inspection?

Preferably you’d leave them where they are but yes.

The USAF had to do this with their KC-46s

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

hobbesmaster posted:

But apparently Boeing may have to uninstall and reinstall it in Renton? Regardless, technically all of those things are supposed to be checked in Renton.

i will absolutely disclaim any special knowledge, that's just simple publicly available info and things are often more complex

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

`Nemesis posted:

i will absolutely disclaim any special knowledge, that's just simple publicly available info and things are often more complex

quote:

As part of the production process, Spirit builds fuselages for 737s and sends them by train with the special door assembly “semi-rigged,” one of the people said.

“They are fitted but not completed," the person said.

At its Renton, Washington, plant, Boeing typically removes the pop-out, or non-functioning, door and uses the gap to load interiors. Then, the part is put back and the installation in completed. Finally, the hull is pressurized to 150% to make sure everything is working correctly, the person said.

From this article. The photo embed from up-thread shows loose bolts on the frame that holds the lower spring-assist mechanism in place, but the spring safety pin seems to be properly installed and safety wired. It's possible Spirit installs the frame and hinges but doesn't fully secure the door and did a bad job torqueing those bolts or whatever, and those bolts also happen to not be part of the reinstallation work that Boeing does. So it was good enough to pass the 150% pressurization test as part of final assembly, but not enough to keep the bolts from rattling loose once they went into service.

Or Boeing completely hosed up the reinstallation portion of it's final assembly tasks for the door.

Or a wizard did it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Cactus Ghost posted:

i almost bought the first aid kit from whaletail but $100 for a neat novelty bag is steep even for my dumb rear end

Yeah but, 747 1st class pod!

My wife said no.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

fknlo posted:

Comedy option would be that there is a section in the assembly process sheet for putting in the bolt finger tight and then a later section for safety wiring it and a section for independent visual inspection of the work but the section for torquing it down just never made it in.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

How do regulators even respond to something like this (besides the glib "let Boeing do what they want")?

Do you haul in all planes that were built in the timeframe that this particular issue was found and do a complete post assembly inspection? I mean, if this was an assembly issue that's not due to some flawed process for this specific thing and instead was just negligence in general work, then any number of other things could be suspect.

Alaska reported that they've found several with loose bolts too. I think they have to ground them and figure out what the gently caress is going on.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
With how badly the FAA and other regulatory agencies hosed up in letting the manufacturers certify themselves, I wonder if the Max 8 and 739 are going to get an AD for a random but statistically significant portion of the global fleet to get a C check and see if other patterns emerge.

It would thoroughly hose commercial aviation for a while.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
This will be the catalyst for governments around the world to recognize the value of properly staffing and funding regulatory agencies relating to aviation, inshallah.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The repeated MAX fuckups may also mean that other nations don't blindly accept FAA certifications anymore, which would be absolutely hilarious.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

PT6A posted:

This will be the catalyst for governments around the world to recognize the value of properly staffing and funding regulatory agencies relating to aviation, inshallah.

Now that's downright unAmerican.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

PT6A posted:

Inshallah.

fknlo posted:

Alaska reported that they've found several with loose bolts too. I think they have to ground them and figure out what the gently caress is going on.

I thought this was another uncited source like with United, but no, they straight up put out a press release saying, "poo poo's loose."

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

PT6A posted:

buddy, they won't even let ME fund the agencies

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

PT6A posted:

I think you mean the failure of big government bureaucrats not doing their jobs. Privatizing regulation will let the market deliver an effective regulatory framework as competition to provide an optimal level of regulation that both consumers and providers negotiate will ensure an efficient level of safety.

jk lol

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

`Nemesis posted:

never trust spirit, the airline or the aviation manufacturing company

The cigarettes aren't that great, either

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

I think Boeing would be making slightly better products today if McDonald’s had merged with them instead.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

Gotta love waking into an airplane with an old burger smell.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

cigaw posted:

Gotta love waking into an airplane with an old burger smell.

One of the worst flights I ever took started with a dude bringing on a huge bag of In & Out burgers and storing them in the overhead compartment.

It was a transcon flight. -_-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

MY man