Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

kalel posted:

if that's true and we're assuming they're working with finite resources, I probably would have made the same decision in their shoes. I'm not sacrificing my third yacht to fund a zombie soap opera, and anyway one mad men is worth ten thousand zombie soap operas

Oh yeah if that's true then they made the right call. Could've kept Darabont and made a shorter season for the same money I guess but hey, Forget it Me, it's Zombie SLop Town

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
I might be due for a rewatch on A.I.

I thought it stank and then I watched it three more times

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Cubone posted:

I'm da jokoy baby

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

kalel posted:

really quick: is spielberg's AI worth seeing in a theatre or not. unsure if the lukewarm rating on letterboxd is a "controversial" 3 or a "boring" 3

It's an interesting watch as this weird hybrid between Kubrick madness and Spielberg schmaltz. The ending sucks but watching it turn on a dime from whimsical to creepy is something.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Cubone posted:

I'm da jokoy baby

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Arc Hammer posted:

It's an interesting watch as this weird hybrid between Kubrick madness and Spielberg schmaltz. The ending sucks but watching it turn on a dime from whimsical to creepy is something.

I never thought a sex robot would be in a Spielberg movie tbh

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

watched Asteroid City and man what a bore that was

(I generally like the guy's movies)

I had the worst audience with Asteroid City, a giant group came in and one guy would guffaw at literally every Wes Anderson-ism in the movie, so the entire movie. Sat next to a lovely talking couple at Poor Things this weekend (I remember the woman loudly saying "this movie better not suck or else I'm back to pirating" so I'm guessing they don't leave the basement much) but luckily they walked out after 20 minutes.

Also had a couple sit right next to me at Boy and the Heron despite there being many available buffer seats in the row, what the gently caress people?

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

The Ebert review of AI is one of the first of his I'd ever read and I came upon it shortly after my first watch. This has always stuck with me

quote:

A thinking machine cannot think. All it can do is run programs that may be sophisticated enough for it to fool us by seeming to think. A computer that passes the Turing Test is not thinking. All it is doing is passing the Turing Test.

I see movies like the Creator and I go, "That's just an advanced toaster." I would kick that kid like a Boston Dynamics robot, and really how can anyone claim the two are all that different?

It's also why I like Ex Machina quite a lot. That movie gets AI - how the average rube will get their lives changed (ruined) by it, but also how it's still just code with code bugs.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

priznat posted:

I remember seeing some shots and it was some pretty decent looking yet inexpensive FX shots using matte paintings etc. but that was ages ago and it might have aged like milk.

I mean, well done matte paintings hold up a lot better than cgi, imo. Recently I was watching The Coneheads, of all things, and was really impressed by some of the matte backgrounds and miniature work. CGI on some new big budget movies don't look as good as fuckin’ Remulak did in a 31 year old SNL movie.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

kalel posted:

really quick: is spielberg's AI worth seeing in a theatre or not. unsure if the lukewarm rating on letterboxd is a "controversial" 3 or a "boring" 3

AI is incredible in a "what the gently caress, how did it get there" way

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

mysterious frankie posted:

I mean, well done matte paintings hold up a lot better than cgi, imo. Recently I was watching The Coneheads, of all things, and was really impressed by some of the matte backgrounds and miniature work. CGI on some new big budget movies don't look as good as fuckin’ Remulak did in a 31 year old SNL movie.

I think it was matte but there could have been some (early, very early) CG when I try to remember the ads for it. Agreed though, well done matte paintings still look fantastic. See original Star Wars trilogy!

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

sure okay posted:

It's also why I like Ex Machina quite a lot. That movie gets AI - how the average rube will get their lives changed (ruined) by it, but also how it's still just code with code bugs.

you certainly had a different interpretation of that film than a lot of people. most people, even

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

My takeaway from Ex Machina was “don’t make the robots too sexy”. A rule I live by.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

DaysBefore posted:

Oh yeah if that's true then they made the right call. Could've kept Darabont and made a shorter season for the same money I guess but hey, Forget it Me, it's Zombie SLop Town

I wanted to look it all up since my memory is hazy. All this was about 12 years ago. So basically, there was a big bump for Matt Weiner who did mad men at the beginning of 2011. Jon Hamm got a big raise too.
https://deadline.com/2011/03/matt-weiner-these-are-the-last-three-seasons-of-mad-men-119255/

TWD had its 1st season run at the end of 2010 with the 2nd season being produced in 2011 for an October premiere. The AMC president says the deal isn't effecting the other series before the 2nd season starts.
https://deadline.com/2011/08/amc-president-on-breaking-bad-order-walking-dead-budget-mad-men-deal-153423/

quote:

Deadline: Matt Weiner’s deal was very lucrative, estimated at $25 million-$30 million. How does that impact your investments in other programming?

Collier: The Mad Men deal is one that we are incredibly proud of. We had 2 goals going into the negotiations: first, to bring back Matt Weiner and secondly, to assure that the show not only starts on AMC, but that when Matt is ready, it will also conclude on our air. But to answer your question, the Mad Men negotiation had nothing to do with our other programming. Going into Mad Men we knew that right behind it would be negotiations on Breaking Bad, The Killing and others. The negotiations for Mad Men were factored into our plans. Some have reported that the Mad Men deal has affected our assessment of other programming and nothing could be further from the truth.

Kurt Sutter who made Sons of Anarchy blamed the deal for budget cuts. Again, before the premiere.
https://ew.com/article/2011/08/12/kurt-sutter-twitter-amc-frank-darabont/

quote:

Sutter took to Twitter in a series of messages that directly attacked AMC and Mad Men showrunner Matthew Weiner for their role in Darabont’s departure. He began: “why darabont got fired — weiner. he held AMC hostage, broke their bank, budgets were slashed, s— rolled down hill onto [Breaking Bad showrunner Vince] Gilligan and Frank.” Then the claws really came out: “no one else wants to f—ing say it, but the greed of Mad Men is killing the other two best shows on tv — breaking bad and walking dead.”

Sutter concludes, rather starkly: “Darabont reacted strongly to slashed budgets. he made mistakes, he was fired. no creative in town will trust AMC to back up their artists…i don’t know MW, got no beef with him. just hate that Darabont is being demonized. no one has the balls to tell the truth. MM gutted AMC.” (Responding to the allegations, a spokeswoman for AMC told EW: “Nothing could be further from the truth. We respect Kurt as a writer, but not as our CFO.”)

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

priznat posted:

My takeaway from Ex Machina was “don’t make the robots too sexy”. A rule I live by.

:hmmyes:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Kurt Sutter comes across as a loudmouth dingus. Game recognize game.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

I thought the moral of deudesex machina was to always install a killswitch in your real doll

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

I thought the moral of deudesex machina was to always install a killswitch in your real doll

A sexy enough robot would convince you to disable the killswitch, so keep the robot a solid 6 at best.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It's really funny how matt weiner went from king poo poo to banished to the shadow realm .0001 seconds after the romanoffs came out. What can you say except showbiz does be like that, I suppose

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

priznat posted:

Kurt Sutter comes across as a loudmouth dingus. Game recognize game.

I'm not ruling out the possibility of it being true though. In general you're better off siding with people on the ground rather than the exec suite

to be fair to twd, darabont isnt some shithead, he's capable of making Art. if amc had been willing to keep darabont on and let mad men go to hbo (this is pre-zaslav hbo, mind, so mad men would have been just fine), I think twd truly would have risen above its sad fate and might have turned out more like the last of us. but as a purely financial decision, working with what they knew (or rather, what we know they knew) at the time, I think the execs made the right decision

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You were all warned:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDFzOjw0pFU

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

kalel posted:

thanks y'all. love me a controversial 3

Wait till you see my tinder profile

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

There was a killswitch, but Kyoko and Ava passed code to each other to bypass it. Kyoko was neglected, left running on their current version for too long as made too many observations, while Ava was fresh on a newly coded narrative about escaping that Oscar Isaac wanted to push on Domhnall Gleeson. A bug, essentially, and one borne of hubris. Isaac thought he could keep all the complexity in his head and do it all himself, but in his last push to make Gleeson fall in love and do something reckless, he himself got reckless and they both paid for it.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

priznat posted:

I never thought a sex robot would be in a Spielberg movie tbh

As if half the cast and crew didn't gently caress that triceratops animatronic

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Kingo Ligma posted:

As if half the cast and crew didn't gently caress that triceratops animatronic

Hell that’s why the shark didn’t work in Jaws!!

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

kalel posted:

Nope

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

No Mods No Masters posted:

It's really funny how matt weiner went from king poo poo to banished to the shadow realm .0001 seconds after the romanoffs came out. What can you say except showbiz does be like that, I suppose

This is the true king move though. Bust your rear end making one really good show, one that gives you an insane reputation that breaks the execs brains. Cut a deal where you get paid the GDP of Tonga for your next show regardless of its success, than absolutely loving tank the first season so it's cancelled, you still get paid in full, and never talk to a failsons loser again.

Perfect.

billymumphrey
Mar 2, 2022
Maybe they awarded Gervais best stand up to ingratiate themselves to him to get him back on hosting duties?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

billymumphrey posted:

Maybe they awarded Gervais best stand up to ingratiate themselves to him to get him back on hosting duties?

Did they loving really? Jesus.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

sure okay posted:

The Ebert review of AI is one of the first of his I'd ever read and I came upon it shortly after my first watch. This has always stuck with me

I see movies like the Creator and I go, "That's just an advanced toaster." I would kick that kid like a Boston Dynamics robot, and really how can anyone claim the two are all that different?

You shouldn't let anyone tell you you're wrong about art. Personal context transforms the work itself in ways that are unpredictable to the even the artists themselves, and that's a beautiful thing.

But also you're super wrong about Ex Machina jesus christ way off not even close dude

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Kingo Ligma posted:

This is the true king move though. Bust your rear end making one really good show, one that gives you an insane reputation that breaks the execs brains. Cut a deal where you get paid the GDP of Tonga for your next show regardless of its success, than absolutely loving tank the first season so it's cancelled, you still get paid in full, and never talk to a failsons loser again.

Perfect.

I guess that's true as long as you're actually at peace with being done working. I'm not sure that was really the weiner plan. He's a lot younger than I thought he was actually, especially compared to some of the dinosaurs he made his bones with like david chase

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Put Rebel Moon on today because I don't value my time.

Is Sofia Boutella any good in anything? I haven't seen enough other stuff with her to know but she's just awful in this.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

kdrudy posted:

Is Sofia Boutella any good in anything? I haven't seen enough other stuff with her to know but she's just awful in this.

Atomic Blonde

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

kalel posted:

The robot-murder-carnival is worth seeing on the big screen. The rest... Ehhhhh, there are some nice shots.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

billymumphrey posted:

They gave him a fake award to ingratiate themselves to him so he can do the one job they should never under any circumstance allow him to do?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Gutcruncher posted:

They gave him a fake award to ingratiate themselves to him so he can do the one job they should never under any circumstance allow him to do?

Ricky Gervais calling all the Hollywood people Epstein-loving sickos at the Golden Globes was the only funny thing he's ever done besides The Office

billymumphrey
Mar 2, 2022

priznat posted:

Did they loving really? Jesus.

Not having seen his show I assume it goes something like this.

Gervais says something offensive.

Gervais: Oooh! Have I offended you, yeah? Are you triggered??

Rinse and repeat

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

billymumphrey posted:

Not having seen his show I assume it goes something like this.

Gervais says something offensive.

Gervais: Oooh! Have I offended you, yeah? Are you triggered??

Rinse and repeat

The funny thing is that he’s now getting trounced in the offensive rear end in a top hat comedian category by Chappelle, who is actually an extremely talented standup when he’s not being a complete prick to marginalized groups.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

priznat posted:

The funny thing is that he’s now getting trounced in the offensive rear end in a top hat comedian category by Chappelle, who is actually an extremely talented standup when he’s not being a complete prick to marginalized groups.

This post made me slap a microphone against my knee for several seconds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Endless Trash posted:

This post made me slap a microphone against my knee for several seconds

Hey that’s IP theft!