Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Crab Dad posted:

Charging the market rate for food? What is this a free democratic state? I loving hate government subsidies because the same people who get them in the states are first to whine about welfare.

How about we change the name to welfare from subsidies and then listen to all the blubbering on why it’s different.

germany isnt an american state. also keeping the costs down for the consumer is the goal, corporations dont want to lose their cut, so if farmers start charging more for the food, they are going to raise prices. food is expensive enough right now, we dont need to do anything to increase prices.

subsidies arent the best answer but its a decent stop-gap when you need prevent prices from raising and youre too scared to actually punish corporations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

My Spirit Otter posted:

germany isnt an american state.

Oh my bad I thought we fought a war over this.

Anyways large farmers are the biggest mooches and are template for modern corporate welfare.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Crab Dad posted:

Anyways large farmers are the biggest mooches and are template for modern corporate welfare.

The average German farm is 150 acres, which is less than .25 square miles. We aren't talking about massive operations here.

psydude fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 8, 2024

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

There are people at Walmart putting together bicycles with more care and competence than these Boeing clowns.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
ALAN WAKE II DLC (2024): THE SEARCH FOR MR. DOOR

https://twitter.com/NTSB_Newsroom/status/1744442166116831560

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Zamujasa posted:

Doing anything that inconviniences people is arguably the most effective form. They were out there, they were in the news, they caused a real, physical impact with their protests.

Given that the US already seems to be wholly full-throated support of Israel, I don't think any outrage over a traffic delay is going to push the needle any further in that direction.

It's arguably a great way to get people to polarize against your position. Can you name any examples where stopping interstate traffic has been used successfully to shift public opinion?

Arrath posted:

Sure it might not be the most effective means of protest but what is up with the general public turning into pure beacons of rage slavering for the crunch of protesters under their tires in this specific case?

Traffic being so dogshit in general yet a concept without an easy single target for ire? Suddenly someone in the road with a sign become that target?

I think the issue is that people are already generally frustrated by traffic congestion on a day-to-day basis, just through actual use. Accidents happen, and those headaches genuinely effect commuters and impact their time with loved ones / making meetings on time / making life events etc. The idea that people are stopping traffic to "raise awareness" about a topic that has been non-stop in the news for months gets my bloodpressure up, and I don't even commute.

If this was 2017 or some other time where Gaza and Israel hadn't been in the news constantly, I could see the value of raising awareness about what conditions in Gaza were like and the need to address these issues. Doing it now is just stupid. It's going to piss people off and form negative associations with the cause that's being argued for. What's more is that it isn't increasing awareness - The news story about lane closures is going to appear on the same front page that has been recording updates on Gaza on at least a weekly basis. It's basically just more obnoxious noise that carries and incredibly high price to produce.

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 8, 2024

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Crab Dad posted:

loving lmao

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Crab Dad posted:

wow so monopolies = bad??

obviously this affects corporate farms but not all farms are corporate farms and not all farmers are land barons. and who do you think would be most affected by losing subsidies, the big corporations or whomever the german version of cleetus just tryin to feed his 37 kids is?

im not sure how it works in germany, but in canada, the only way a farmer is making bank is if they sell their land to a developer, which leaves fewer independent farms and allows the space for giant agri-corps to form and have even more control over your food supply

My Spirit Otter fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 8, 2024

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

"The nerve- the absolute NERVE- of these protestors!" I wail, feeling a fragment of tooth lacerate my cheek as I grind my teeth in searing, white-hot anger. "My commute! My blissful, stress-free commute to my wonderful email job! Ruined by these assholes- these IDIOTS!- daring to raise awareness about dead Palestinians blown to pieces by blocking the FREEWAY! My tax dollars PAID for this freeway, and those bombs!"

I reach for my phone. I can barely work the touchscreen with my fingers, dripping with sweat tinged with the bitter yet intoxicating musk of high-octane rage.

"Hello, yes, Israeli Embassy?" I shriek, my voice a caricature of itself as my vengeance-crazed lizard brain takes over. "I'm calling to tell you that I've been stuck in traffic for the past 15 minutes because of PROTESTORS and I've made up my mind- BOMB GAZA HARDER! Leave nothing that casts a shadow standing in Gaza! Make their children orphans, then make their future children orphans! Salt the ground upon which they stand, then set it ablaze! Choke the Mediterranean with their dead! Then do it to Beirut, Damascus and Tehran!"

"That'll show them!" I scream into my air conditioning vent, smashing my phone's screen as I pound my fists into the steering wheel. "That'll show all of them!"

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

My Spirit Otter posted:

wow so monopolies = bad??

obviously this affects corporate farms but not all farms are corporate farms and not all farmers are land barons. and who do you think would be most affected by losing subsidies, the big corporations or whomever the german version of cleetus just tryin to feed his 37 kids is?

im not sure how it works in germany, but in canada, the only way a farmer is making bank is if they sell their land to a developer, which leaves fewer independent farms and allows the space for giant agri-corps to form and have even more control over your food supply

People need food to survive. We can’t stop buying food. If subsidies existing are the only way farmers can survive then I suspect your economy is on shaky ground. You may have to increase import taxes to make their produce competitive.

I’d much rather the people get direct assistance as opposed to the farmers.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/MikeSington/status/1744442271389667731?t=P0tXBQpyIdmROaZGBJv9xQ&s=19

"THAT'S GARLAND GREEN, MAN!"

E- there's owned, and then there's:
https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1744478659992228093?t=RQa8mmbGF5jBQ5P3BH9iLw&s=19

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jan 8, 2024

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Crab Dad posted:

People need food to survive. We can’t stop buying food. If subsidies existing are the only way farmers can survive then I suspect your economy is on shaky ground. You may have to increase import taxes to make their produce competitive.

we loving know our economy is bad, this isnt a secret!!! and increasing tariffs is just plain stupid as essentially all we grow in n.a. is corn syrup, wheat, potato, and canola. the whole goal is to make food cheaper, how the gently caress will increasing taxes on the product do anything but increase the price, as nobody in this world is willing to make less money.

but again, the only way to get real change is to legislate and that aint fuckin happening because corpos have more weight to throw around, so complain about subsidies all you want, but they are currently the best way to keep commercial food affordable and prevent the corpos from owning all arable land.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Gee, it nosedives into the ground twice killing everyone and now it's doors can fall off fleet wide.

Hmmm. Might not trust these 737 MAX planes.

Its deicing system also makes engine parts fall off for potential loss of control of the aircraft

Boeing applied for a safety waiver for that one a couple months ago

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Grip it and rip it posted:

Stopping interstate traffic seems like a really bad way to try and shift public opinion on a topic. I can't think of a single time it was ever helpful in the US.

i can't tell if this post is serious or not

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

pmchem posted:

i can't tell if this post is serious or not

Serious or not it's sadly accurate.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
3M are such dirtbags... intentionally shipped out known-faulty earplugs that I have service-connected tinnitus from (10%), and hearing loss (though rated at 0%), and the most they're offering is $10k minus 40% lawyer fees and 9% court admin fees.

So $5100 in pocket for a lifetime of screeching and half-deafness I guess. To get any more compensation, their criteria is you have to have been constantly complaining to the VA and seeking treatment for tinnitus (what the hell would the treatment even be?!) in the first 2 years of leaving the service. So just about no one at all would qualify.

There's an option to opt-out of the settlement and sue 3M directly, but my firm sounds super-not-into-it and said I could feel free to switch to a lawyer that's more interested. They think in all likelihood I'd get less than the $5100 if I spent years building a case and getting expert witnesses. Maybe, or maybe they just want their cut fast and easy.

Is anyone else gonna tell 3M where they can stick it? It's such an insulting amount that I'd rather risk it for a small chance at them getting an actual comeuppance. Is there any firm that's less sheepish about taking 3M on directly? Even my firm said all their other vet clients are pissed. But there's nowhere to strategize or anything, just the... less coherent vets on Reddit.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Serious or not it's sadly accurate.

i mean, there's this example that was critical to the success of MLK's civil rights movement?

https://www.history.com/topics/black-history/selma-montgomery-march
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selma_to_Montgomery_marches

granted they did get court permits

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

pmchem posted:

i mean, there's this example that was critical to the success of MLK's civil rights movement?

And they did have a foe they were marching against who was actively trying to stop them. It's not similar at all, except for both involving a lot of people on a public road.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Lol "treatment". I pursued VA treatment for tinnitus. Hearing test, consultation, the whole shebang. The treatment was a piece of paper telling me about fans or white noise generators at night to fall asleep.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Crab Dad posted:

I don't think you can really compare North American farming with European farming, both in scale and in mentality. Farming is a big industry in Germany and the local farmers have to compete with much cheaper crops from countries in Eastern and Southern Europe. The higher density of German cities also means that agricultural land is found much closer to major city centers (I lived at the end of an U-Bahn line and two buildings down from me was a literal barn that housed a tractor) and so there isn't as much of an urban/rural divide as you'd find in the US and Canada. So follows that Germans (at least the ones I knew) are very supportive of the farming industry: where I lived, most of the stores tended to source as much of their produce as possible from domestic farmers to the point where even bigger chains like Rewe and Edeke effectively only carried seasonal produce, with a few exceptions.

e: Which is to say I'm not surprised that farm subsidies have more popular support in Germany than in the US.

psydude fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jan 9, 2024

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

psydude posted:

So follows that Germans (at least the ones I knew) are very supportive of the farming industry:

But not that supportive if the elected officials are cutting their welfare feedbag.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Can Germany grow enough calories to feed it's populace without imports? That is to say, do they have enough farm capacity to meet the daily caloric needs of the population e without importing food. This doesn't take into account crop variety or meat vs produce balance, just whether or not they can avoid starvation solely on domestic production. I recall this was an issue towards the end of WWI, but I don't have any inkling of what the current situation is.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Crab Dad posted:

But not that supportive if the elected officials are cutting their welfare feedbag.

:negative:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Crab Dad posted:

I suspect this stems from the current budget crisis, but I might be wrong. The government tried to reallocate unused COVID funds to plug a budget deficit only to have this swatted down by the supreme court. The German constitution effectively prohibits the government from running a deficit (Germans are allergic to debt, along with noise and modern technology) and so they're having to slash and burn a lot of spending.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

psydude posted:

I suspect this stems from the current budget crisis, but I might be wrong. The government tried to reallocate unused COVID funds to plug a budget deficit only to have this swatted down by the supreme court. The German constitution effectively prohibits the government from running a deficit (Germans are allergic to debt, along with noise and modern technology) and so they're having to slash and burn a lot of spending.

All this talk of Germans slash and burning and needing more land is making me nervous.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Crab Dad posted:

All this talk of Germans slash and burning and needing more land is making me nervous.

I learned today that one of my German colleagues just bought a house in Poland and had to stop myself from making a Lebensraum joke.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

psydude posted:

I learned today that one of my German colleagues just bought a house in Poland and had to stop myself from making a Lebensraum joke.
Pretend I made a sparkling noun joke about lebensraum here.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

pantslesswithwolves posted:

"The nerve- the absolute NERVE- of these protestors!" I wail, feeling a fragment of tooth lacerate my cheek as I grind my teeth in searing, white-hot anger. "My commute! My blissful, stress-free commute to my wonderful email job! Ruined by these assholes- these IDIOTS!- daring to raise awareness about dead Palestinians blown to pieces by blocking the FREEWAY! My tax dollars PAID for this freeway, and those bombs!"

I reach for my phone. I can barely work the touchscreen with my fingers, dripping with sweat tinged with the bitter yet intoxicating musk of high-octane rage.

"Hello, yes, Israeli Embassy?" I shriek, my voice a caricature of itself as my vengeance-crazed lizard brain takes over. "I'm calling to tell you that I've been stuck in traffic for the past 15 minutes because of PROTESTORS and I've made up my mind- BOMB GAZA HARDER! Leave nothing that casts a shadow standing in Gaza! Make their children orphans, then make their future children orphans! Salt the ground upon which they stand, then set it ablaze! Choke the Mediterranean with their dead! Then do it to Beirut, Damascus and Tehran!"

"That'll show them!" I scream into my air conditioning vent, smashing my phone's screen as I pound my fists into the steering wheel. "That'll show all of them!"

I mean, yes? This is how people respond to those kind of situations. That's exactly the issue I'm trying to highlight.

pmchem posted:

If you think these situations are comparable I feel like there is a major context gap that we are going to have to bridge. If someone wanted to set up a massive march for Palestine/Gaza to demonstrate the level of solidarity that exists in their community, that sounds like a good idea. Running out onto the highway to shut down traffic to "raise awareness" is not. Essentially the issue is the efficacy of communicating the popularity of the topic you are advocating for. Large, organized marches that are coordinated through grass-roots organizations are 100% a good idea. Going out and shutting down interstate traffic with 1-100 of your friends just makes people upset. It doesn't communicate to policy makers the significance of what you're demonstrating for or how widely your position has been adopted within your community. It literally just disrupts people's commutes.

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jan 9, 2024

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

It's arguably a great way to get people to polarize against your position. Can you name any examples where stopping interstate traffic has been used successfully to shift public opinion?

I think the issue is that people are already generally frustrated by traffic congestion on a day-to-day basis, just through actual use. Accidents happen, and those headaches genuinely effect commuters and impact their time with loved ones / making meetings on time / making life events etc. The idea that people are stopping traffic to "raise awareness" about a topic that has been non-stop in the news for months gets my bloodpressure up, and I don't even commute.

If this was 2017 or some other time where Gaza and Israel hadn't been in the news constantly, I could see the value of raising awareness about what conditions in Gaza were like and the need to address these issues. Doing it now is just stupid. It's going to piss people off and form negative associations with the cause that's being argued for. What's more is that it isn't increasing awareness - The news story about lane closures is going to appear on the same front page that has been recording updates on Gaza on at least a weekly basis. It's basically just more obnoxious noise that carries and incredibly high price to produce.

A protest isn't supposed to be nice and courteous, that's why it's a protest. It's supposed to piss people off. The fact that the news isn't going to report on it fairly is whatever. They never would anyway. Going out and disrupting poo poo is how you make noise and draw attention to your cause. Nobody is going to care if 100 people walk around City Hall or whatever, but stopping traffic like that actually has an impact that people can't just ignore.

It's the same with a strike; you're intentionally disrupting people. And just like in that case, people are going to get mad at the people striking because their Amazon package was delayed by five hours and they paid for that prime shipping, damnit.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Zamujasa posted:

A protest isn't supposed to be nice and courteous, that's why it's a protest. It's supposed to piss people off. The fact that the news isn't going to report on it fairly is whatever. They never would anyway. Going out and disrupting poo poo is how you make noise and draw attention to your cause. Nobody is going to care if 100 people walk around City Hall or whatever, but stopping traffic like that actually has an impact that people can't just ignore.

It's the same with a strike; you're intentionally disrupting people. And just like in that case, people are going to get mad at the people striking because their Amazon package was delayed by five hours and they paid for that prime shipping, damnit.

Yeah they can't ignore it and they resent the people and the message. I don't think it's effective advocacy.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

protests: famous for never changing anything for the better, ever

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

psydude posted:

I think COP28 also included an agreement to phase out petroleum subsidies which includes making diesel cheaper for farmers, not sure if this whole thing is related but likely to continue elsewhere since a *lot* of countries subsidize cheap fuel for farmers.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

It can work if your movement has enough people and motivation to shut the highway down every single drat day until you get you want and is worse than useless otherwise.

Hostage taking is effective, raising awareness is not.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Protests need to be just one portion of a comprehensive political action agenda. Just showing up and shouting on its own is meaningless, because these days your opposition has better press than you.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

If you think these situations are comparable I feel like there is a major context gap that we are going to have to bridge. If someone wanted to set up a massive march for Palestine/Gaza to demonstrate the level of solidarity that exists in their community, that sounds like a good idea. Running out onto the highway to shut down traffic to "raise awareness" is not. Essentially the issue is the efficacy of communicating the popularity of the topic you are advocating for. Large, organized marches that are coordinated through grass-roots organizations are 100% a good idea. Going out and shutting down interstate traffic with 1-100 of your friends just makes people upset. It doesn't communicate to policy makers the significance of what you're demonstrating for or how widely your position has been adopted within your community. It literally just disrupts people's commutes.

I'm intentionally not comparing contexts. I think rushing out onto a busy interstate with no warning, planning, permission, etc., is dangerous and counterproductive. frankly I don't even know what all examples this thread is arguing about anyway. I was just responding to a specific phrase in your post, where you said: "I can't think of a single time it was ever helpful in the US."

certainly, in MLK's case, it WAS helpful. it's such a famous example, it's the direct original example causing many other groups in the past 5 years to go out and cause chaos on highways. I don't see how anyone can have a discussion of protests shutting down highways without thinking of Selma. I think it's important to be aware of the good, well-orchestrated, positive original example of a type of protest (the history!) if you're not happy with how that tactic is being implemented today.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

A.o.D. posted:

Protests need to be just one portion of a comprehensive political action agenda. Just showing up and shouting on its own is meaningless, because these days your opposition has better press than you.
This. Folks too often mistake "pissing people off" for, in itself, "advancing the cause" and then get angry when asked to reason out how precisely the action would produce the desired effect. Pissing some people off can be an effective part of a broader strategy, but rejecting questions and concerns from even people sympathetic with the cause does the cause an injustice.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Cugel the Clever posted:

This. Folks too often mistake "pissing people off" for, in itself, "advancing the cause" and then get angry when asked to reason out how precisely the action would produce the desired effect. Pissing some people off can be an effective part of a broader strategy, but rejecting questions and concerns from even people sympathetic with the cause does the cause an injustice.

yes. to continue the MLK discussion, see an early discussion of his steps for nonviolent campaigns:
https://www.africa.upenn.edu/Articles_Gen/Letter_Birmingham.html

quote:

In any nonviolent campaign there are four basic steps: collection of the facts to determine whether injustices exist; negotiation; self purification; and direct action.

(later)

Nonviolent direct action seeks to create such a crisis and foster such a tension that a community which has constantly refused to negotiate is forced to confront the issue. It seeks so to dramatize the issue that it can no longer be ignored.

but, key to his process was education and negotiation before action

guess it's timely that MLK day is coming up

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Zamujasa posted:

This is why I like the story that goes around every year or two about the Japanese bus drivers striking by still driving their routes, but refusing to accept payments.

Even if it's not true, it's a great concept because it highlights making the company/city the bad guy.

If the drivers just refuse to drive, people would just be all "well how TF am I supposed to get to work??!" and the drivers are the bad guys.

But this way, the company is the one getting hit and losing money every day. And if they lock out the drivers or whatever to stop it, then they're now the ones keeping people from getting to work. So either they lose money, or they directly piss off the average commuter, until the strike ends. That's the ideal IMO. Get that public anger directed where it belongs, instead of at you.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1744520768317174048?t=l_PkRFs1iWfpu4CQSvi62w&s=19

I feel like this isn't the first time we've heard that he wants everyone to lose their money so he can get his way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

The Eyes Have It posted:

If the drivers just refuse to drive, people would just be all "well how TF am I supposed to get to work??!" and the drivers are the bad guys.

We just had a multiple-months long teacher strike, and people support the teachers because people understand that the teachers aren’t the problem, the problem is the provincial government treating them like poo poo.

Y’all got a cultural problem if people can’t understand that.