Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2024/01/apple-vision-pro-available-in-the-us-on-february-2/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Not been any word on outside of us release dates yet has there? I was seeing Apple is apparently gonna be encouraging people to pick them up at the stores in person so people don’t inadvertently gently caress the setup up when they try to do it alone.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
lies of p is neat in vr but im realizing im going to have to wire my controller and maybe headset because the input lag is absolutely killing me for bosses

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

ok ive started to really warm up to asgard's wrath 2. i honestly didnt get very far in the first one because i disliked the rote "wait for the enemy to use their special attack then parry it to remove their armor, otherwise they cant be damaged" stuff. the combat in aw2 feels a hell of a lot more dynamic, plus you can damage the blue armor, the enemy just doesnt flinch until their armor is broken. its a much more enjoyable system.

the "open world" nature of the game is more like dark souls 2 or one of the bazillion oot knockoffs that they made after ocarina. it feels like a bit of a throwback, in a good way.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

GMG just dropped a VR sale, some steep discounts here:

https://www.greenmangaming.com/vr-titles/sale/

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Al! posted:

ok ive started to really warm up to asgard's wrath 2. i honestly didnt get very far in the first one because i disliked the rote "wait for the enemy to use their special attack then parry it to remove their armor, otherwise they cant be damaged" stuff. the combat in aw2 feels a hell of a lot more dynamic, plus you can damage the blue armor, the enemy just doesnt flinch until their armor is broken. its a much more enjoyable system.

This honestly killed the last 3rd of the game for me for AW1. I was fine with the system for a bit but it just got so tedious and such a pace killer as I got further and further. I think once I started fighting bigger bosses it really wore on me and I ended up turning it off for the last two Sagas and just choppin through everything.

Very happy to see that thats one of the bigger changes between 1 and 2.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
You lasted longer than I did. I knocked the difficulty down to easy halfway through Ingrid's saga and just waggled through like it was a Wii game.

The combat in AW2 is leagues better. Not only is the blue armor less obnoxious, parrying is way more consistent, and enemies have a bigger variety of weak spot types and attack patterns. The game in general feels like an awesome VR version of Skyward Sword to me.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

AccountSupervisor posted:

This honestly killed the last 3rd of the game for me for AW1. I was fine with the system for a bit but it just got so tedious and such a pace killer as I got further and further. I think once I started fighting bigger bosses it really wore on me and I ended up turning it off for the last two Sagas and just choppin through everything.

Very happy to see that thats one of the bigger changes between 1 and 2.

i only got as far as the fortress lol. i found that i wasnt swordfighting but cheesing. in aw2 they feel like actual fights with zelda rear end lizardmen

one of the funny things is weapons now no longer clip through each other and i tend to fight two weapon style so frequently i end up hooking my sword with my axe, but still blocking

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

NoneMoreNegative posted:

GMG just dropped a VR sale, some steep discounts here:

https://www.greenmangaming.com/vr-titles/sale/

Did Fallout VR ever get fixed? I remember it was ultra bad at release, I’m curious if it’s worth :tenbux:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

It's the year 2024.

Somehow, Meta still publishes 180º monoscopic videos for their concerts.

Why, Meta, why.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

ephori posted:

Did Fallout VR ever get fixed? I remember it was ultra bad at release, I’m curious if it’s worth :tenbux:

i bought it a year ago and it was completely unstable. player it agian recently and it just feels like playing fo4 to me

so ymmv

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Without engaging with modding Fallout 4 VR isn't very good and may not even work to a standard that's even playable. Heavily modded it's better but it's just not as vibrant as say, Skyrim VR in the modding space.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

KakerMix posted:

Without engaging with modding Fallout 4 VR isn't very good and may not even work to a standard that's even playable. Heavily modded it's better but it's just not as vibrant as say, Skyrim VR in the modding space.

This can't be repeated enough. If you wanna just boot poo poo up and play its garbage. If you're into modding, it can be quite a great experience. Same poo poo with Skyrim.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Turin Turambar posted:

Interesting, there is already a Quest 3-only VR game, it's just not one people would think of it
https://www.uploadvr.com/townsmen-vr-quest-3-exclusive/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld_9RMleXAE

Whats the difference between that one and https://store.steampowered.com/app/749960/Townsmen_VR/ ?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

None I guess? "exclusive" in the sense that is the first Quest 3 game that isn't playable in Quest 1 or Quest 2, not in the 'only can be played in this platform!' sense.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I'm on the Quest 3, is there some kind of app that analyzes the hand tracking functionality of the controllers?

This has been something I've noticed a bit in a few games where it seems like trying to hit things to my side or in my peripheral vision seem much less accurate -- it's something I've noticed in a couple of rhythm games when they say "We're gonna be more precise in this level" and then I start dropping a lot of notes that are in the corners, or in Eleven Table Tennis when I stretch out for a ball and from my perspective it looks like the ball just phases through the paddle out of the corner of my eye...

It seems anecdotal right now but it's happened enough that if there's some way to check it that would be cool... I have dropped the controllers and the headset at least once lol. Want to see if there's some issue with that... or maybe my brain....

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I'm on the Quest 3, is there some kind of app that analyzes the hand tracking functionality of the controllers?

This has been something I've noticed a bit in a few games where it seems like trying to hit things to my side or in my peripheral vision seem much less accurate -- it's something I've noticed in a couple of rhythm games when they say "We're gonna be more precise in this level" and then I start dropping a lot of notes that are in the corners, or in Eleven Table Tennis when I stretch out for a ball and from my perspective it looks like the ball just phases through the paddle out of the corner of my eye...

It seems anecdotal right now but it's happened enough that if there's some way to check it that would be cool... I have dropped the controllers and the headset at least once lol. Want to see if there's some issue with that... or maybe my brain....

Rumor has it the quest 3 controllers have a more limited range based on the dance dash discord.

Like, People have no issues on the quest 2 with them strapped to your feet. But quest 3, people are having to do knees instead of feet.

Its like the range is smaller but inside the range tracking is stupid good.

Its almost like those tracking rings did something!

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

EbolaIvory posted:

Rumor has it the quest 3 controllers have a more limited range based on the dance dash discord.

Like, People have no issues on the quest 2 with them strapped to your feet. But quest 3, people are having to do knees instead of feet.

Its like the range is smaller but inside the range tracking is stupid good.

Its almost like those tracking rings did something!

from what I understand part of the way they were able to get rid of the tracking rings was by using the camera to track your arms and hands and augmenting the controller data with that, so it makes sense that attaching the controllers to your legs would cause issues

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
That seems right because i’ve noticed it happens a lot more often if i don’t have all the lights on in my room. it’s wild to just see one of the controllers float away for a second mid swing in beat saber.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I have absolutely noticed that in walkabout mini golf the putter tracking isn't spot on and is occasionally jittery when I'm holding the putter straight down and looking straight down. The controller is mostly obfuscated by my arms and hands from that perspective.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Well poo poo that absolutely explains so much about the weird tracking errors I get whenever I set my controllers down to watch a movie.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Quest 3 purchased, pretty impressed. Hate Meta but it's a good headset, the pass through is terrific, I had zero issues setting up Link via a cable and was fairly easy to get the titles I want running (ACC, AC, Elite, MSFS). I know it's primarily sold as a stand-alone, but they could really make PCVR life easier if the debug tool was rolled into some sort of advanced options in the main app and could store profiles. But overall very pleased. Elite Dangerous is my surprise 'oh wow' moment - never played it in VR and it really suits it. (Racing games all look awesome as well with tweaking but I expected that kinda from my PSVR2/GT7 experience). Haven't looked at the standalone stuff much - have Asgards Wrath 2 for free and hear it's good so I'll have to make some time for that, and I have a keyboard that supports midi so might pick up the piano app I've seen - piano hero with a real piano seems pretty cool.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Elite Dangerous in VR is amazing. It would be really cool if someone made a game around it.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Collateral Damage posted:

Elite Dangerous in VR is amazing. It would be really cool if someone made a game around it.

Yeah it’s my chill podcast space trucker thing, I don’t ask much of it game play wise.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.uploadvr.com/sony-xr2-gen-2/
Sony will do a mixed reality headset too. But mainly for business.

Wifi7 will be especially good for VR
https://www.roadtovr.com/wifi-7-certified-launch-latency-wireless-vr/

New feature for Quest 3, Augments
https://mixed-news.com/en/meta-quest-3-augments-videos/

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Turin Turambar posted:

None I guess? "exclusive" in the sense that is the first Quest 3 game that isn't playable in Quest 1 or Quest 2, not in the 'only can be played in this platform!' sense.

Oh that makes more sense, I thought maybe they were getting their own version or something sorry about that

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqTIB_q40bo

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

"This device may not be sold until authorization is obtained from the FCC" plus the combo of 'Comments are turned off.' hits weird.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!

Is this much better than the Q3 spec wise? Curious if I should save up for a Apple Pro rather than upgrade from Q2 to 3, though that price point is offputting without something significantly improved over the Q3 that's a third of the cost.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

it's fundamentally not competing with the quest, the vision pro only supports hand tracking so its usefulness for proper VR gaming will be very limited (outside of extremely janky streaming PCVR setups paired with lighthouse controllers)

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Desdinova posted:

Is this much better than the Q3 spec wise? Curious if I should save up for a Apple Pro rather than upgrade from Q2 to 3, though that price point is offputting without something significantly improved over the Q3 that's a third of the cost.

Third of the cost? It's $3500 lol, not $1500.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

repiv posted:

it's fundamentally not competing with the quest, the vision pro only supports hand tracking so its usefulness for proper VR gaming will be very limited (outside of extremely janky streaming PCVR setups paired with lighthouse controllers)

The dev docs say it supports controllers. I haven’t yet plopped 2 grand on a Unity pro license to figure out whether that’s just game pads (very likely) but I wouldn’t utterly rule it out.
I wouldn’t be surprised if we see games over time, especially if it takes off. For that matter there’s plenty you can do with hand tracking, as long as you design from a different paradigm from 2d games.

That said yeah it’s not competing with Quest

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!

repiv posted:

Ah ok, didnt't know about the tracking.

Turin Turambar posted:

Third of the cost? It's $3500 lol, not $1500.

I meant the Q3 being a third of the price of the Apple Pro, $3500 is a lot for a headset. I also thought the Q3 was more than $500, forget the third that's a huge price difference.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Other than the lol price, what are our predictions for the Apple Vision Pro?

Complete flop, or does it bring some much needed attention and content to the consumer VR space?

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
I'm very curious to see if it crosses a threshold in display / tracking quality. I haven't used a headset yet with acceptable hand tracking or a good enough density to be a monitor replacement. Maybe with their custom text rendering it'll be a preview of what we could have cheaply in a few years.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Not the consumer space, not at that price, but there are plenty of business applications for mixed reality including showrooms etc where I can see it being simple enough to use that it sees some success.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Koramei posted:

The dev docs say it supports controllers. I haven’t yet plopped 2 grand on a Unity pro license to figure out whether that’s just game pads (very likely) but I wouldn’t utterly rule it out.

in the initial reveal they showed ipad games running on it with a connected controller (a playstation one IIRC) so that's probably what they mean

there's been zero indication that they plan to support anything like the quest controllers so far

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Desdinova posted:

I meant the Q3 being a third of the price of the Apple Pro, $3500 is a lot for a headset.

STOP RIGHT THERE CRIMINAL SCUM 😡✋ YOU ARE IN VIOLATION OF THE APPLE VISION PRO BRAND GUIDELINES

CEASE AND DESIST IMMEDIATELY

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

Other than the lol price, what are our predictions for the Apple Vision Pro?

Complete flop, or does it bring some much needed attention and content to the consumer VR space?

I think the influencer marketing engine will do a good job of making this desirable. I also think we'll see a lot of these on the second-hand market in 6 months as the initial VR wow factor subsides into the this-is-heavy-and-awkward friction that everyone in this thread is familiar with, but which is easier to swallow when you've only spent £200-£300 on your headset and not made the biggest non-car purchase of your life.

I don't think it'll flop in the same way that the Quest Pro has just because of the Appleness of it. I wouldn't be surprised if they make this in short supply at first and demand exceeds it.

It'll bring a huge amount of attention, but no content at first. They are clearly banking on this being an early adopter proof of concept device to help normalise the idea of VR goggles (sorry, 'spacial computing') in the wild, and to buy them some time until some developer comes up with the killer use case that makes everyone feel like they need one.
I think they've learnt from the Apple Watch (and maybe even the iPhone) that if they're introducing a new category, having it all cooking away in secret makes it harder for the world to figure out what they want to actually do with it. So I think even though it feels half-baked, I think they're expecting to take a hit on this gen, in exchange for getting a better idea of what they want to do with it, and for the manufacturing side of things to establish better/cheaper supply lines for all the wild new tech in there.

It'll be a good couple of years at least before the 'what do people want to do with this thing' question is answered, and I think there's still a good chance that answer will turn out to be 'use a computer, phone or TV instead'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Tbh even with it being Apple I see this thing still being a huge flop. Or at least commercially a flop. I'm sure there'll be techbros who buy one because it's Apple and expensive but this thing is not a VR headset and won't play your games and presumably only works with apps specifically designed for it. I guess we said the same about, like, the ipod but at the price this feels like it's in another stratosphere of "who is this for".