Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Maybe Calder’s related to the red dragon of reddragonsville that Horace Greenhilt killed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

This will be resolved through some sort of pun, something like Calder's Bait

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
He got a name? Better watch out!
Googling said name, though, and first result was Alexander Calder. Made my wonder what being named after that artist could imply (where's the art history majors when you need them?)

SKULL.GIF posted:

I was right! Wrong on the color, it wasn't a gold dragon, it was a red dragon! But the dragon in that drawing has a broken horn and purple wings just like Calder does here.

drat. Good call!

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Calder sounds very fire-related, but apparently means "stream" or something like that.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I'm assuming it's Calder as in "caldera", the volcanic feature, derived from the word cauldron for obvious reasons.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I just assumed it was short for Caldera

Anyway he looks big, old, intelligent, and powerful. So he's likely to be a big problem.

Like even assuming he's a stage or two younger than the Ancient Black that V fought, he would still be more powerful than it. If he's older than them like he looks than he is way way more powerful.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 8, 2024

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Dungeon ✅
Dragon ✅

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

my daughter just lost her mind at that strip, extremely exciting to get initiativey after a long time. plus oots dragons are always a good time, one way or another.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm pretty sure this is an ancient wyrm given the beard.

also the way it talks, that's badass style speakin

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
You can hear the bold font when that dragon talks. Incredible. And yet again, we’re seeing Rich’s skills as an artist improve.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Title of the comic is The Thaw, so very very likely that Calder has been in stasis for a long time.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

sebmojo posted:

also the way it talks, that's badass style speakin

Unquestionably polite. Urbane, direct, and dismissive. Utterly dangerous.

Victor von Doom is often written the same way.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

I almost kind of want them to talk him down. It probably won't happen, given Calder's wholly-justified resentment, though.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

What's all this about Kaldur?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I almost kind of want them to talk him down. It probably won't happen, given Calder's wholly-justified resentment, though.

is this a major challenge for a rested party at this level? my instinct says no, but i guess they're spell casters so that can change things up.

an ancient red dragon is quite considerable though, wow

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

sebmojo posted:

is this a major challenge for a rested party at this level? my instinct says no, but i guess they're spell casters so that can change things up.

That link isn't what the 3.5e Monster Manual would have but I think is just random homebrew that's using the SRD/OGL to create a powerful Red Dragon.

You wanna look here: https://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/dragonTrue.htm

I think vanilla MM ARD doesn't have as many spells as listed in your link, but it's still pretty powerful.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

sebmojo posted:

It's probably a challenge on the level of fighting Team Evil so it's not going to require some crazy luck for the Order to win but victory is going to cost them.

My guess is they break Sunny out of it and she stops negating the magic circle that Calder has been trapped in which lets the Order move on bruised but not completely wiped out.

Which will leave the dragon there for the other party to come across and making the final battle that much worse.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

I'm hoping Calder decides to turn the party's magic off, and then we get a splash page of a Tyrannosaurus Rex fighting an Ancient Wyrm.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Raenir Salazar posted:

That link isn't what the 3.5e Monster Manual would have but I think is just random homebrew that's using the SRD/OGL to create a powerful Red Dragon.

I think vanilla MM ARD doesn't have as many spells as listed in your link, but it's still pretty powerful.

It's not a random homebrew, but it is for the wrong system—it's the Pathfinder 1e stats, not the 3.5 stats.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

oobey posted:

I'm hoping Calder decides to turn the party's magic off, and then we get a splash page of a Tyrannosaurus Rex fighting an Ancient Wyrm.

Same.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I think "resentment" isn't the only issue, considering he thinks that Roy was "insufficiently servile". He's clearly not interested in a conversation as equals, he's just willing to consider pleas for their lives.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

We can likely assume Calder was beaten by Serini & Kraagor at some point, and given the combined might/subterfuge theme of this dungeon thus far, the Order is probably uniquely suited to defeating Calder as well.

I don't know if the Serini/Kraagor pair, even if they were 20th-level or epic, are stronger than the Order plus the paladins plus old-Serini and Mimi.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SKULL.GIF posted:

We can likely assume Calder was beaten by Serini & Kraagor at some point, and given the combined might/subterfuge theme of this dungeon thus far, the Order is probably uniquely suited to defeating Calder as well.

I don't know if the Serini/Kraagor pair, even if they were 20th-level or epic, are stronger than the Order plus the paladins plus old-Serini and Mimi.

Apparently the Order of the Scribble as a whole defeated him, as there was an image of them fighting a Dragon and cutting off one of it's horns.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Assuming he's Ancient he has 4 CR on the Black, but he could also be a Wyrm or Great Wyrm who are even stronger. He's a massive threat.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

MonsterEnvy posted:

Apparently the Order of the Scribble as a whole defeated him, as there was an image of them fighting a Dragon and cutting off one of it's horns.

Which image is this?

Prodigal Trouble
Dec 6, 2023

SKULL.GIF posted:

Which image is this?

It's from the calendars, specifically February 2015. That's, uh, quite a while ago!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Looking again at the comic I notice Calder is Trogdor-shaped.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Assuming he's Ancient he has 4 CR on the Black, but he could also be a Wyrm or Great Wyrm who are even stronger. He's a massive threat.

As a side note, Dragons are pretty infamous in 3.5 for being CR'd a few points lower than what they should be because "A fight with a dragon is supposed to be hard."

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

1e dragons were comically weak, they've been making up for that ever since

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

Looking again at the comic I notice Calder is Trogdor-shaped.

The S is for sucks.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Pseudoscorpion posted:

The S is for sucks.

Something something consummate V

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Something something consummate V

V's marriage has basically ended, consummation is out of the question.

At least their family didn't live in a thatch-roofed cottage.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

ultrafilter posted:

That seems pretty likely. This appears to be a fairly young red dragon, and not something that would be a major challenge to the party in a fight, so there has to be some other reason to introduce it now.

Yeah i'm sure this wrinkly dragon with a beard is a baby that'll go down in a single strip

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I kinda forgot Serini was a halfling, and not just of species: gramma, so I wondered what kind of beef that dragon had with Belkar.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

goblin week posted:

Yeah i'm sure this wrinkly dragon with a beard is a baby that'll go down in a single strip

Villains that get a splash panel and a badass intro monologue tend to die as a throw away gag in the following strip, yeah

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Pseudoscorpion posted:

The S is for sucks.

On my planet, it means "hope"

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

ZearothK posted:

Villains that get a splash panel and a badass intro monologue tend to die as a throw away gag in the following strip, yeah

A flumph is going to fall on Calder's head, instantly killing him.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Man, thinking about it, I don't know if there's a realistic outcome where Serini isn't killed or taken out of the game in the course of this fight. A lot of narrative threads are coming together here:
  • Serini's routine and constant disrespect towards the younger adventurers
  • Serini having "bad deeds" in her past (forcibly conscripting monsters) despite her trying to do better on that front nowadays
  • The Order starting to come to grips with the idea that fighting/killing evil monsters just because they're evil isn't a good solution
  • V's Familicide history and IFCC debt meaning it's likely she gets prevented from acting at a critical moment

Calder is uniquely suited to take down Serini. The fire-breathing disables her trollish regeneration, and only a few pages ago she just got her own team to waste spells because of the trick acid pool. Everyone else in the Order of the Scribble answered for their past deeds in one way or another, and Serini's coming due. She was so concerned about Xykon but had none for any internal threats lurking in her dungeon.

The real reason I think this is what's going to happen is because if Serini is taken out of the picture, the Order of the Stick is suddenly in an extremely lethal dungeon without the dungeon's designer guiding them past all the deadly traps and encounter designs. They might still have Sunny and Mimi, but odds are pretty good neither have the full breadth and depth of understanding of the dungeon that Serini does. This ratchets up the stakes considerably for the Order racing through the remainder of the dungeon to get to the Gate, while Team Evil gets to deal with all the traps and encounters we saw Serini help the Order bypass in earlier pages. No chance all that cool stuff gets mentioned and explained without actually getting to see it in action, and also IMO no chance we don't get to see the Order flex their full dungeon-solving abilities in the final dungeon of the story. This would also fully square Serini's disrespect of the youngins: they'd be able to "prove themselves" by solving her dungeon.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Not sure if I missed something or if we're not supposed to know at this point, but how was Calder able to charm Sunny in the previous strip? At first I thought the lens had fallen off by accident (it's roughly in front of the position where Sunny was last strip), but then we have Calder specifically ask him to antimagic-eye the circle in this strip, and then the dragon gets to move.

So, from the last time we saw Sunny up until the middle of this strip, Calder was able to use telepathy and cast spells but still physically immobilized by the stasis circle. But we know he wasn't mentally awake all this time (which would frankly make his revenge extremely sympathetic, locked-in syndrome is nightmare torture stuff even when surrounded by caretakers and loved ones), because he mentions that he is unaware of the amount of time that has passed. So I'm confused about how those circles work, and I donīt know if I'm supposed to be.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

NihilCredo posted:

Not sure if I missed something or if we're not supposed to know at this point, but how was Calder able to charm Sunny in the previous strip? At first I thought the lens had fallen off by accident (it's roughly in front of the position where Sunny was last strip), but then we have Calder specifically ask him to antimagic-eye the circle in this strip, and then the dragon gets to move.

So, from the last time we saw Sunny up until the middle of this strip, Calder was able to use telepathy and cast spells but still physically immobilized by the stasis circle. But we know he wasn't mentally awake all this time (which would frankly make his revenge extremely sympathetic, locked-in syndrome is nightmare torture stuff even when surrounded by caretakers and loved ones), because he mentions that he is unaware of the amount of time that has passed. So I'm confused about how those circles work, and I don´t know if I'm supposed to be.

It feels like the kind of thing Serini will explain at the beginning of the next page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Elan helpfully reminded people that sunny shoots anti magic out of her eye in this strip