Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I've gotten replacement filters off Amazon. As for when to replace it? I just waited until it starts looking covered (not completely gunked up, but well-used) then start using smoke from an extinguished match or candle to see is it's still pulling air through.

I mostly just use my airbrush for priming and usually only like 6 minis at a time so it doesn't get much use though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I just breath in all the acrylic paint in the air from airbrushing and let my nose hairs do all the filtering.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

I'm painting Nagash from AoS for a flgs winter competiton, and I've been painting him for about two weeks already, and he's looking good. Im very ahppy with the 16 layers of glaze it took to blend light blue to dark blue. But I just wrote down all of the steps to finish him, and there are exactly 50 more steps before he's done, not counting basing.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I'm officially done with this guy, or maybe this is more of a surrender? I feel like the white going weirdly just threw me off..

E: It's a shame because I think the colour scheme worked otherwise!

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

OgreNoah posted:

I'm painting Nagash from AoS for a flgs winter competiton, and I've been painting him for about two weeks already, and he's looking good. Im very ahppy with the 16 layers of glaze it took to blend light blue to dark blue. But I just wrote down all of the steps to finish him, and there are exactly 50 more steps before he's done, not counting basing.

That cape looks awesomely smooth, be proud of it. I haven't kept up with it since WHFB died, I'm not trying to take the piss here, but... is that skeleton wearing a corset?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I picked up one of those Fengda airbrushes and after a quick test I'm happy with it, big upgrade on my generic one which didn't really seem to do a variable output, just blowing air, a set amount of paint, or off. I just did some priming although coverage wasn't great but that's probably down to the cold. Plus I don't have frame of reference for the primer yet, hopefully things will get a little warmer shortly and I can try it out with the Vallejo gloss and metal I'm used to.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Southern Heel posted:

I realise I never actually took any photos of my 10mm English Civil War armies when they're substantially complete, so here they are:

Edmund: Yes, erm, I’m not so sure we’re needed, you know, Baldrick… I mean, everything seems to be going very well, doesn’t it? Everyone’s fighting — clearly having the time of their lives. Wait a moment; some of them over there aren’t fighting! They’re… they’re just lying down!

Baldrick: They’re dead, My Lord.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Slyphic posted:

That cape looks awesomely smooth, be proud of it. I haven't kept up with it since WHFB died, I'm not trying to take the piss here, but... is that skeleton wearing a corset?

It's his skin, and since he's mummified, all his organs are gone, so it's naturally thin there, I guess.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Getting back into the pits of Zharr Nagrund with this Chaos Dwarf overlord

edit-- More! Chorfs!

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 8, 2024

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Indolent Bastard posted:

Edmund: Yes, erm, I’m not so sure we’re needed, you know, Baldrick… I mean, everything seems to be going very well, doesn’t it? Everyone’s fighting — clearly having the time of their lives. Wait a moment; some of them over there aren’t fighting! They’re… they’re just lying down!

Baldrick: They’re dead, My Lord.

A hearty chortle - cheers!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

rantmo posted:

Speaking of that airbrush hood, how often ought one change the filter on that and, also, where does one acquire more filters?

You can pick up cheap rolls of aquarium filter material online, and they work perfectly in a spray booth. Just cut to size.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

You can pick up cheap rolls of aquarium filter material online, and they work perfectly in a spray booth. Just cut to size.

Oh excellent, thanks!

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

This is still a WIP, I need to do a tiny amount of tidying then add the weathering, but it's almost a shame to dirty it up.

The freehand chain was a proof of concept, going to expand on it on the next one.

owns, but I think the photography is washing out the white "skin", it looks unshaded but I'm pretty sure it isn't

yeah it is, I could go more heavily into it. Part of the problem is I suck loving rear end at mini photography though

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So playing Darktide has prompted me to consider getting back into mini-painting again. I decided to take inventory of all the minis I had in my backlog to document here. However, I thought to look through my old posts and I realized I had already done that back in May 2022, where I also stated I hadn't done any painting in about a year's time. Good news is that there were only two small additions to that list: the Horus Heresy Ahzek Ahriman, and the Goff Rocker.

I managed to pry myself away from Warhammer between then and now, so I wasn't checking the website to see if there were any more exclusive models and adding to the pile. Then on Christmas Day, they showed a preview for the Deathwing Assault box, and just recently, they finally started dropping The Old World stuff, notably Bretonnia (I'm more interested in the former than the latter, though).

However, in addition to my mini inventory, I thought to write down all the problems that were making me reluctant to get back into painting.

• Since I last did any mini painting, I've changed jobs and my hours are now very early in the morning (4am-12:30pm). However, my commute is shorter, so I think I've got more hours than I did previously (1pm-6pm). Obviously, there's the weekend, but i was thinking in terms of trying to get painting in after work.
  • Currently, the winter weather makes doing some tasks uncomfortable and/or impossible. I use Tamiya Plastic Cement for putting minis together, but I can't open up the windows in the house to ventilate, so that means I'd have to go out to the shed. It also makes priming models difficult if I'm doing it by rattlecan, but I bought an airbrush so I'd be able to prime models without having to wait on the weather.
  • However, I've done nothing with the airbrush I've bought outside of the two times I used it back in 2021 (?). The reason is because the shed doesn't really have a proper workspace for sitting down to paint (there's a workbench, but it's meant more for woodworking, so it's something you stand at, not sit. However, I had the idea to get something like a card table so that I could fold it up and put it away when done. The issue I have with it is that I don't know if it'd be wise to keep the paints and everything out in the shed. I remember reading that cold temperatures can affect paint, so I'd be worried about it getting ruined. While I've kept the airbrush itself inside, some of the supplies I bought for have been out there for a while (flow improver, primer, etc), so I don't know if those have been compromised.
  • There's also some additional supplies that I need to purchase: one thing that I think I need is corks or something to attach models to, since most of the minis I've build I purposefully did not attach to a base (either because I got custom bases for them, or I thought it would make painting certain parts difficult). The other is a gloss black primer, since it's needed for one of the color-shift paints I bought.
  • Probably the most important thing is some new brushes. I have to check again, but I think the ones I have now have lost their point. I think they were synthetic, so I thought maybe I should invest in some higher-quality ones.
  • Related to actually painting models, there are some models that I've sort of lost interest in painting. I can always push those to the back of the list (or maybe just sell them to make some money back), but with some models, what I think discourages me is that they have parts that are either really tiny, or just hard to reach because of other parts that intersect. I was looking at the Sororitas Exorcist (which is a model I have primed, but not painted), and I realized that it'd be a challenge to try and paint the areas at the base behind where the driver sits.

Any ideas as to additional steps I could take, or something that might make things easier?

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jan 9, 2024

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
you can use plastic cement inside

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Max Wilco posted:

So playing Darktide has prompted me to consider getting back into mini-painting again. I decided to take inventory of all the minis I had in my backlog to document here. However, I thought to look through my old posts and I realized I had already done that back in May 2022, where I also stated I hadn't done any painting in about a year's time. Good news is that there were only two small additions to that list: the Horus Heresy Ahzek Ahriman, and the Goff Rocker.

I managed to pry myself away from Warhammer between then and now, so I wasn't checking the website to see if there were any more exclusive models and adding to the pile. Then on Christmas Day, they showed a preview for the Deathwing Assault box, and just recently, they finally started dropping The Old World stuff, notably Bretonnia (I'm more interested in the former than the latter, though).

However, in addition to my mini inventory, I thought to write down all the problems that were making me reluctant to get back into painting.

• Since I last did any mini painting, I've changed jobs and my hours are now very early in the morning (4am-12:30pm). However, my commute is shorter, so I think I've got more hours than I did previously (1pm-6pm). Obviously, there's the weekend, but i was thinking in terms of trying to get painting in after work.
  • Currently, the winter weather makes doing some tasks uncomfortable and/or impossible. I use Tamiya Plastic Cement for putting minis together, but I can't open up the windows in the house to ventilate, so that means I'd have to go out to the shed. It also makes priming models difficult if I'm doing it by rattlecan, but I bought an airbrush so I'd be able to prime models without having to wait on the weather.
  • However, I've done nothing with the airbrush I've bought outside of the two times I used it back in 2021 (?). The reason is because the shed doesn't really have a proper workspace for sitting down to paint (there's a workbench, but it's meant more for woodworking, so it's something you stand at, not sit. However, I had the idea to get something like a card table so that I could fold it up and put it away when done. The issue I have with it is that I don't know if it'd be wise to keep the paints and everything out in the shed. I remember reading that cold temperatures can affect paint, so I'd be worried about it getting ruined. While I've kept the airbrush itself inside, some of the supplies I bought for have been out there for a while (flow improver, primer, etc), so I don't know if those have been compromised.
  • There's also some additional supplies that I need to purchase: one thing that I think I need is corks or something to attach models to, since most of the minis I've build I purposefully did not attach to a base (either because I got custom bases for them, or I thought it would make painting certain parts difficult). The other is a gloss black primer, since it's needed for one of the color-shift paints I bought.
  • Probably the most important thing is some new brushes. I have to check again, but I think the ones I have now have lost their point. I think they were synthetic, so I thought maybe I should invest in some higher-quality ones.
  • Related to actually painting models, there are some models that I've sort of lost interest in painting. I can always push those to the back of the list (or maybe just sell them to make some money back), but with some models, what I think discourages me is that they have parts that are either really tiny, or just hard to reach because of other parts that intersect. I was looking at the Sororitas Exorcist (which is a model I have primed, but not painted), and I realized that it'd be a challenge to try and paint the areas at the base behind where the driver sits.

Any ideas as to additional steps I could take, or something that might make things easier?

You spent a lot of time writing that post about how you've convinced yourself not to paint that you could have used to paint.

poop chute
Nov 16, 2023

by Athanatos

Max Wilco posted:

Use the Tamiya inside. Don’t stick your nose directly in the bottle and take a big whiff, but if using it in the house killed you most people here would be dead.

Just sit down and build some guys and paint them. If you’ve got some built already, paint those. I’ve done more in the last week with zero thought about how to prep than I did in six months before that.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

grassy gnoll posted:

You spent a lot of time writing that post about how you've convinced yourself not to paint that you could have used to paint.

:hmmyes:

The supplies can be thrown into a milk crate or something and taken to the shed. Nothing says you can't stand at a table and paint. It's probably better for you to stand for an hour or so. Or sit anyway and work at chest instead of waist level?

The paint work can be split in and out. Go outside to prime and do airbrush stuff, take the one figure back inside for detail and brush work.

And if painting small fiddly bit is something that a problem...

Paint a bust?

There's a million reasons not to paint. No one actually has to do it though. I like watching people do wood work and craft projects, I'm never gonna do any of that, but that's ok?

Watching YouTubers make cool poo poo is the modern day version of my dad watching Bob Vila restore a dumbwaiter on a Victorian house built before man invneted the power drill. He will never make one but it's still cool to watch. So you can accept that you like seeing it but don't actually like doing it. That's ok.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

AndyElusive posted:

I just breath in all the acrylic paint in the air from airbrushing and let my nose hairs do all the filtering.

please do not find new goony ways to give yourself emphysema

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Max Wilco posted:

Currently, the winter weather makes doing some tasks uncomfortable and/or impossible. I use Tamiya Plastic Cement for putting minis together, but I can't open up the windows in the house to ventilate, so that means I'd have to go out to the shed.

you don't need heavy duty ventilation for just plastic cement but if you're really worried or just hate the smell, switch to limonene. tamiya and mr. hobby both have limonene versions of their regular and extra thin cement, and it's also what's in non-toxic testors cement.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

grassy gnoll posted:

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Am I happy? No, but I am happy to be done.

My own dumb fault anyway. So much gold paint is too garish. I should have been a lot more conservative and used shade washing and maybe edge highlights on anything lower than the torso.

If I ever do another sisters of silence squad, I'm doing it differently.

rain dogs
Apr 19, 2020

Max Wilco posted:

You're coming up on three years without having painted anything. I think it's time to stop beating yourself up about it and admit you don't like painting. I read this post and the one you linked and it almost made me not want to paint, and I like painting. Bite the bullet, sell your stuff and buy some video games or something.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

rain dogs posted:

You're coming up on three years without having painted anything. I think it's time to stop beating yourself up about it and admit you don't like painting. I read this post and the one you linked and it almost made me not want to paint, and I like painting. Bite the bullet, sell your stuff and buy some video games or something.

alternate plan: pick one thing to paint. just one. paint it til it's done. don't think about the others, just paint that one thing.

if, at the end, you hated the experience, do the above.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
That's a good recommendation.

Mine is "don't wait to paint the models that interest you." If something interests you or you feel like you do want to paint it, don't "save it for later as a treat." Don't "wait until your skills are good enough to do it justice." Paint it now. If you paint a mini you like, it can help excite you enough to paint the ones you feel 'meh' about. Worst-case scenario, paints are easy enough to strip with a little isopropyl alcohol so if your skills do improve enough that you can do it much better, you can always strip it and start over.

Or buy a second one so you can compare the two.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I have come to realise that I have Very Specific Brain Things around miniatures, and one of them is "having too many of them to paint at any given time". So I try to walk a line where I only have a couple to do. Any time I've tried to push this limit, I end up in a situation where I have like, 8 half painted weirdos lying around that I could probably finish in a couple of sessions but simply can't muster the will.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I have come to realise that I have Very Specific Brain Things around miniatures, and one of them is "having too many of them to paint at any given time". So I try to walk a line where I only have a couple to do. Any time I've tried to push this limit, I end up in a situation where I have like, 8 half painted weirdos lying around that I could probably finish in a couple of sessions but simply can't muster the will.

I bought three little wooden 3-drawer units (each about 6x6x6") and labelled each drawer with a thing: WW2, ECW, SYW, Bases, Scatter Terrain, etc. - this really helped me get over the massive anxiety of having lots of unfinished projects: "How many Warmaster figures do I have unpainted? Well... about 8 bases? That's not so bad..." I don't think the language we all use """"ironically""" like 'pile of shame' is all that helpful really, either.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
I've found I don't really like painting, but I paint because I really like 3D printing and I have a dream, perhaps in vain but I cling to it, of getting to use my stuff on the tabletop some day and play some games :unsmith:

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

This is not a joke post or making light of you at all: you should try seeing a therapist. Your posts sound very much like something my brain does, and over the last ~6 years of seeing a good therapist, it has helped me tremendously, and the quality of my life has improved greatly. Whenever I am about to start painting anything, whenever I'm about to call something "done" I get the dumb part of my brain telling me all sorts of stupid things, and thankfully I now have the skills to recognize that and handle it in a positive way.

Speaking of starting things and calling them done, here's some Kroot which were the last models of 2023, some Hearthkin Salvagers who straddled the line, and my new D&D character all finished, who is the first of 2024.

My New Year Hobby Goal is to learn to take pictures that are actually in focus. :cry:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Lumpy posted:

Whenever I am about to start painting anything, whenever I'm about to call something "done" I get the dumb part of my brain telling me all sorts of stupid things, and thankfully I now have the skills to recognize that and handle it in a positive way.

It's not even negative self talk, it's just a shutdown switch, and it's purely linked to number of miniatures. I could totally finish them! They'd look a lot better!

On the flip side I can sit down and paint an Epic scale Kratos until it's done, AND know when to put the brush down and walk away instead of endlessly tinkering.

idk maybe I'll hide half of the unfinished 8 so my brain thinks "four guys? not a problem"

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Just noticed I hadn't posted the most recent picture of my painting progress.

They will not win any awards but they're acceptable for the tabletop and that's all I'm going for.

(The incredibly dirty looking one in the middle is the one that I washed with Agrax Earthshade instead of Seraphim Sepia, I glopped some textured-paint mud on the front and ran with it :v: )

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Kylaer posted:

Just noticed I hadn't posted the most recent picture of my painting progress.

They will not win any awards but they're acceptable for the tabletop and that's all I'm going for.

these look great, I know you're not going for super high detail but imo they'd look even better with some black accents - some Black Templar contrast on selected panels would be super easy to do.

also I like the dirty Pred :black101:

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jan 9, 2024

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Southern Heel posted:

I don't think the language we all use """"ironically""" like 'pile of shame' is all that helpful really, either.

Pile of potential.

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

Kylaer posted:

I've found I don't really like painting, but I paint because I really like 3D printing and I have a dream, perhaps in vain but I cling to it, of getting to use my stuff on the tabletop some day and play some games :unsmith:

ive found i really like painting about 2 of a model type that goes in a unit and then im like "hmm no thanks" on the other 10 and usually feel a struggle on those last 2-3 lol. working to find the balance between just printing loads of unpainted stuff i never do anything with and jumping between painting necessary game pieces to things that are fun looking.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

I've settled on display painting as my fun hobby time, which sort of implies that I enjoy the basic process of painting. However, now that I know that, I can make informed decisions about what I need to buy - instead of an army box that will stress me out, I can buy a bust or art book. And when I get bored/stressed by the intensity of display painting, I've got a pile of Cursed City minis that I use as low-effort palate cleansers.

It's all about figuring out which aspect of the hobby you enjoy the most instead of what you "should" like. There are so many resources that cater to such a wide variety of tastes that this is the best time ever to have fun however you want to.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I took a couple of fun whatever family photos of my Watch Fortress this past weekend after I added a shelf to my Detolf. I plan to add a Blackstar and the rest of Leviathan to the collection so I needed to make room.

That's what about 3 years of working at my output speed resulted in. A combination of life and work means I'm an extremely slow painter to the point where I usually paint two a month at most. The upside is that I love the hobby and painting so much more than when I'd try and batch paint as many as possible. It helps that the Space Marine faction I currently collect lends itself well to the way I do things and it's a lot of fun to just make each Deathwatch model unique.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jan 9, 2024

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

AndyElusive posted:

I took a couple of fun whatever family photos of my Watch Fortress this past weekend after I added a shelf to my Detolf. I plan to add a Blackstar and the rest of Leviathan to the collection so I needed to make room.

That's what about 3 years of working at my output speed resulted in. A combination of life and work means I'm an extremely slow painter to the point where I usually paint two a month at most. The upside is that I love the hobby and painting so much more than when I'd try and batch paint as many as possible. It helps that the Space Marine faction I currently collect lends itself well to the way I do things and it's a lot of fun to just make each Deathwatch model unique.

Geez, your deathwatch is so bad, but in the way the powerglove is bad (insanely good)

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Lostconfused posted:

Am I happy? No, but I am happy to be done.

My own dumb fault anyway. So much gold paint is too garish. I should have been a lot more conservative and used shade washing and maybe edge highlights on anything lower than the torso.

If I ever do another sisters of silence squad, I'm doing it differently.

Let me warn you now: once you begin down this road, the going is very harsh and the rewards are scant.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

AndyElusive posted:

I love that you included one 2nd edition dude on a Goblin Green flocked base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I agree with everyone else that you probably just need to scale down what you're trying to paint. If rattle can priming, airbrushing and all that is just too logistically challenging buy some brush on primer and prime and paint one guy with any old synthetic brush. Just any guy. Your favourite guy, who cares. See if you want to paint another guy after that and then work your way from there.