Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

I didn’t know about the multiplier either and thought those missions were impossible.

I got a city relationship up to level 2 imagining I would finally see the 10-15 value trade routes and was baffled. I finally just beat the map doing other stuff.

Gotta go track down that multiplier option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

twistedmentat posted:

I assume somewhere in the tech tree is a unlock that starts you with the upgraded camps.

Nope. There's a cornerstone that unlocks all three advanced camps though, with a drawback (half gathering speed until you consume 300 resource node charges).

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

The trade multipliers are something that I had NO idea until I started reading the thread. I'm not sure how one would tutorialize it.

The small warehouse (and multiple hearths) are stuff I would eventually figure out eventually, but the trade I doubt I would ever.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

nrook posted:

Forbidden knowledge that I’ve stopped myself from thinking too hard about in fear of making the game slightly dumber is that it’s faster in many cases to build a camp near your warehouse and then move it to its intended location once it’s done.

You can do this with a farm too. Pre-build a farm as you open the first glade containing soil and instantly move it there.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
It costs 1 Plank to move a farm.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

nrook posted:

Forbidden knowledge that I’ve stopped myself from thinking too hard about in fear of making the game slightly dumber is that it’s faster in many cases to build a camp near your warehouse and then move it to its intended location once it’s done.

That makes sense since camps are basically just wagons.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Xom posted:

It costs 1 Plank to move a farm.

Worth it to get a farm up in year 1. If time is of the essence it's also a better idea to build large shacks first instead of shelters because after the metapgrogression unlock your builder can immediately build the large shack by carrying 6 planks instead of going 3 trips for a shelter.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Omobono posted:

Nope. There's a cornerstone that unlocks all three advanced camps though, with a drawback (half gathering speed until you consume 300 resource node charges).

That's not too bad. Not as bad as the one that increases wood production but slows down planting.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Fister Roboto posted:

And don't forget you can favor one of your species for +5 resolve.

Oh poo poo, I didn't know this existed. Thanks a bundle. To others as well for the tips. Will try again.

Trying to run wood planks off the crude workshop is very painful though :(

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

That's not too bad. Not as bad as the one that increases wood production but slows down planting.

that one's really good if you have no farms :mrgw:

MikeC posted:

Trying to run wood planks off the crude workshop is very painful though :(

rainpunk it and hope for double production

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Does everyone get the same 2 “big” camps or is it randomized? I got stone and harvesting aka the only two that can’t get food which is pretty rough early-mid game but the stone one is nice for mid-endgame. I also have an embarkation bonus of getting the herbalist but forget that for 6 points most of the time.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Stone and harvesting are the always big camps. Trapper, Herbalist, and Forager camps have embarkation bonuses for the big version but like you said, good luck affording them. I'll always try to buy one on the marshlands, though.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

loving wow. Been bashing my head against the wall on the Paradise/Higher Needs for a long time - finally had a crack at the Adamantine Seal and it was like every glade/blueprint roll was in my favour in terms of services and I got enough cornerstones and a temple to keep hostility manageable and deaths low.

As always, gently caress the plague of darkness (drat near threw in the towel) but I soldiered on and jagged a win.

Think I'm done.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
there's always queens han haha no

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Google Jeb Bush posted:

there's always queens han haha no

Yeah I still need fox paradise but I really can't be arsed at this point. My last run was just one big grind bereft of joy.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Rougey posted:

Yeah I still need fox paradise but I really can't be arsed at this point. My last run was just one big grind bereft of joy.

I haven't played in a while but this was how I felt beyond P9. I need to update the game and just enjoy it more, but I will probably dial it back down to P8 and enjoy myself instead of having to think about how to win the game besides trading.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Nephzinho posted:

I haven't played in a while but this was how I felt beyond P9. I need to update the game and just enjoy it more, but I will probably dial it back down to P8 and enjoy myself instead of having to think about how to win the game besides trading.

I've stopped increasing my prestige levels and am just chilling in the P3-P8 range, exactly where depending on my mood. I'm not sure I want to optimize more to get higher up in the prestige range and am still enjoying things so...it's all good.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

That's me still down in the second lowest difficulty. Enough engagement around trying to keep people happy and produce enough to sustain them without the stress of imminent death of all villagers at all times.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
I think five is the sweet spot for me, enough that things can go tits very quickly if resolve dips but not the painstaking grind that has more or less killed my zeal for this game.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Thanks to everyone who chimed in with the tips on Viceroy. Some of the stuff like rainpunk I knew but didn't know how important it was to bolstering weakness in builds due to blueprint RNG. Favoring was also a godsend. Went from not being able to complete 6 of 7 maps to 2 straight with little effort.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

space uncle posted:

I didn’t know about the multiplier either and thought those missions were impossible.

I got a city relationship up to level 2 imagining I would finally see the 10-15 value trade routes and was baffled. I finally just beat the map doing other stuff.

Gotta go track down that multiplier option.

To be fair I didn't know that either til 100+ hours in. Still even with a 1x multiplier at like level 5 you'll be getting some pretty beefy trades. I'll also point out that donating amber for upgraded offer numbers can be worthwhile.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

And don't forget you can favor one of your species for +5 resolve.

:catstare:

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Yeah the thing that has clicked for me with resolve after watching some streamers and videos: Your people are either leaving (negative), generating rep (above threshold) or anywhere in between. It doesn't matter at all if their rep is 1 or 29 if they're just sitting there. So favoring can easily save you sacrificing if one species is low, for example, since the others probably aren't generating rep during a storm anyway. Also why you don't want to produce and consume needs products until you're actually making a run on a species to get them above the threshold. If they use some coats or whatever but don't generate any reputation, it's entirely wasted.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Any rep above one but below the threshold is wasted. If that rep is generated through the consumption of resources and/or the expenditure of labour, those resources and that labour are also wasted.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Orange Devil posted:

Any rep above one but below the threshold is wasted. If that rep is generated through the consumption of resources and/or the expenditure of labour, those resources and that labour are also wasted.

I saw one streamer who was obsessed at keeping his people at 1 resolve all the time because "anything above 1 is wasted if you cant get it to blue". Thats too much micro for me.

yorkinshire
Apr 28, 2009

In space no one can hear your dope beats.
Turning off consumption of goods unless you need it for reputation or to keep pops above 0 was the biggest improvement in my game. Plus it's pretty fun doing the reputation rush on your last year by just turning on all the spigots and getting a resolve point a minute then Turning in 4-5 orders all at once. You also will have more goods available for potential trade routes.

Just be careful of the rationing and unfair rationing resolve debuffs.

Another tip that I only learned from reading this thread is that if a pop favors more than one complex food that you have available for them to eat they will eat each one every time they need to eat thus doubling/tripling how much food they are consuming so you really only want to make all their desires available for the two resolve thresholds as necessary.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009
I always forget to turn on complex food in time so I'm the rear end in a top hat viceroy shaking some jerky at my departing harpy builder.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
Last night my settlement was one rep away from finishing, all my nodes were gone, and no races were giving resolve. I was trying to figure out how to finish ASAP without opening more glades and remembered favor, my harpies were almost in the blue so I turned them on and finished. From now on I'm def going to utilize favor more because so far Ive only done it when someone's dipping under zero but not using it at all the other times is probably wasting a lot of resolve.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

RoboCicero posted:

I always forget to turn on complex food in time so I'm the rear end in a top hat viceroy shaking some jerky at my departing harpy builder.

I had the opposite problem where I finished a map with 100 Amber in the bank.

Whoops I know you all want coats and food and houses but what if the trader has a Trappers Camp? Can’t spend it.

I really need to remember to turn off food when we’re not ready to use it.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
The talk of food etc reminds me that I really need to pay closer attention to ratios. I still haven't bothered to figure out if fancy foods are more or less efficient than basic foods and whether that is true across the board or dependent on stars.

I figured out I can multiply trade routes but this is also the first I've heard about favouring a species. Another thing to look into.

yorkinshire
Apr 28, 2009

In space no one can hear your dope beats.
Favoring is incredibly important. Not only can you use it for getting a species above the resolve thresholds for reputation, you can also toggle it(once since it's on a cooldown) during storms to run out the leave timer on one species then before a pop leaves toggle it to bring them above 0 and let a different species dip below 0 timer start and hopefully buy you enough time to get through the storm.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I only found out about favour because my first settlement was next to that temple which stops you from doing it

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

Redundant posted:

The talk of food etc reminds me that I really need to pay closer attention to ratios. I still haven't bothered to figure out if fancy foods are more or less efficient than basic foods and whether that is true across the board or dependent on stars.

I figured out I can multiply trade routes but this is also the first I've heard about favouring a species. Another thing to look into.

They’re almost always more efficient unless you’re using a field kitchen, in which case I think you break even. 3 star recipes are really efficient.

Jerky Example:
0 stars takes 8 meat and 1 coal to make 10 jerky
3 stars takes 4 meat and 1 coal to make 10 jerky

Then you can make jerky into Skewers with a 2 jerky + 3 veg/root/egg = 10. So you’ve started with 4 meat, 1 coal, and 15 vegetables and you’ve ended up with 50 skewers.

Biscuits example:
0 stars takes 10 flour and 4 herbs/roots/berries to make 10 biscuits
2 stars takes 8 flour and 3 herbs/roots/berries to make 10 biscuits

Lets look at flour production
1 star takes 8 grain/root/shroom to make 10 flour
2 star takes 5 and gives 10 flour.

So if you start with 12 roots and use a 0 star and a 1 star, you will end up with 10 biscuits. Not great, but doable if you have a lot of raw material and just want resolve.

But grain grows in bigger quantities than roots/berries so ideally you’re using that. And you can’t eat it anyway

Steam Engines give a huge chance of doubling production so even on the abysmal 12 root -> 10 biscuit supply chain if you steam engine your Flour and your Biscuit then you will definitely come out way ahead anyway.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Yeah, there's a pretty complex interplay between "complex food is more meals per base resource" and "your greedy little shits will eat more meals if they're available" that makes the math less straightforward than just never feeding your people complex food until the last rush.

I've found that if you get a good supply chain for a complex food, lean into it as a food source, but try to avoid producing multiple varieties.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
Also I just found out that you can destroy the resource nodes so no more of those tiny shits getting in the way of my beautiful buildings.

Mumblyfish
Jul 22, 2007
Senselessly gorgeous.

TheMopeSquad posted:

Also I just found out that you can destroy the resource nodes so no more of those tiny shits getting in the way of my beautiful buildings.
There's a map modifier that causes depleted resource nodes to spawn a few patches of fertile soil, if the nodes were depleted in the drizzle season.

Sounds pretty worthless, and honestly most drizzle modifiers are, but this one also kicks in if you just delete the resource during drizzle. Every pointless resource node becomes a huge patch of fertile soil, we're eatin' good tonight!

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Mumblyfish posted:

There's a map modifier that causes depleted resource nodes to spawn a few patches of fertile soil, if the nodes were depleted in the drizzle season.

Sounds pretty worthless, and honestly most drizzle modifiers are, but this one also kicks in if you just delete the resource during drizzle. Every pointless resource node becomes a huge patch of fertile soil, we're eatin' good tonight!
:monocle:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Is there any corner stones you should always take?

I try to get at least one farm, one plank producer and one fabric producer.

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k
The tips in this thread are great. I won my first veteran game last night. Ended up with >50 pop and despite a a very slow start I eventually got a few production chains online and ended up with two species with such high resolve that the last three pips on the victory bar went up so fast in real time that I could just sit back and watch the progress bar grow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

Is there any corner stones you should always take?

I try to get at least one farm, one plank producer and one fabric producer.

Honestly they are nearly all situational i.e. the one that kills all your fuel but gives a +1 to wood production (which is amazing), but if you've built up a good stockpile of other fuels it's a nasty cost to pay. Another great one that gives +5 to resolve but increases food consumption can quickly spiral from starvation but if you've got the food production going it's amazing, and while the one that gives 10 tools for each glade opened during the storm is incredible there is a Forrest Mystery debuff that can make it incredibly risky to pursue

That being said I'll always take the ones that give +1 to resolve/-15 to hostility for opening crates (and they stack!), I'll even avoid crates early on unless they have something I desperately need in the hope that one of these will show up. My prestige 20 run involved getting two of the hostility reductions early on, then finding/rolling three of the resolve ones as time went on. Close behind them is the bonus to woodcutting speed - you can always cut wood faster.

There is (was?) one that lowers impatience during the storm by opening glades (really good on the Seal maps to buy time if you've got a way to offset hostility) - though come to think of it I haven't seen this in a while and I think it may have been removed before release.

Blueprint wise; Always take the Kiln - Coal is king, bricks are relatively cheap and the jerky is just great.