Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Elviscat posted:

I've been limited to 24A for years, and I can count on one hand the number of times I've wanted more.

Yeah, but you are A Huge EV Nerd. We need more "man on the street" anecdotes.

(Also I didn't realize you only had a 24A install, but I'm not going to admit on an Internet Forum that I didn't know something)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

cruft posted:

Yeah, but you are A Huge EV Nerd. We need more "man on the street" anecdotes.

(Also I didn't realize you only had a 24A install, but I'm not going to admit on an Internet Forum that I didn't know something)

Good point, I definitely do weird nerd poo poo that's not representative for normal people. I use my fiancé as a litmus test for that a lot, since she has no interest in cars beyond "it gets me A->B".

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin
To be totally honest we probably could have continued getting by with just L1 - neither of us commute regularly so we use the car almost entirely for our around-town driving. But it is nice to have the added security of being able to offset a longer drive. Plus, I read that L2 charging is more efficient.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
My wife’s next car she wants:

* taller seat height like crossover
* remote start/climate
* power tailgate
* leather/not cloth seats

Other than that she could not give a gently caress about anything else lol

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Cadillac Lyriq

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

pocket pool posted:

Plus, I read that L2 charging is more efficient.

It is. There's about a constant 200W draw while the car's awake so shortening your overall charge time will save some juice.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
ID.4 if she tolerates fake leather.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

priznat posted:

My wife’s next car she wants:

* taller seat height like crossover
* remote start/climate
* power tailgate
* leather/not cloth seats

Other than that she could not give a gently caress about anything else lol

Remove the remote start and you could even make the jeep Avenger fit.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

ID.4 if she tolerates fake leather.

Totally fine she just wants something to be able to clean easily (drat kids). Most of the so called leather is fake these days anyway it seems.

EV9 is still the main contender but no rush to upgrade these days, my main constraint for it is a 3 row or something with a lot of rear cargo space for fitting decent size dog carriers. Also got 3 kids so the 3 row option is nice.

Best option would be a good BEV Minivan but I doubt that will happen outside of that china only Volvo one.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

priznat posted:

Totally fine she just wants something to be able to clean easily (drat kids). Most of the so called leather is fake these days anyway it seems.

EV9 is still the main contender but no rush to upgrade these days, my main constraint for it is a 3 row or something with a lot of rear cargo space for fitting decent size dog carriers. Also got 3 kids so the 3 row option is nice.

Best option would be a good BEV Minivan but I doubt that will happen outside of that china only Volvo one.

I'm waiting for a ev van too. The R1S is three row, and pretty sizeable.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Bone Crimes posted:

I'm waiting for a ev van too. The R1S is three row, and pretty sizeable.

Oh yeah forgot about R1S, those are nice but $$. Ditto the upcoming Volvo EX90. Options under $100k CAD are limited!

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

priznat posted:

Perforated 'leather' is worse to clean than fabric IMO and it's in many cars these days

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah my sorento has that and I don’t like it.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Wayne Knight posted:

Cadillac Lyriq

Have we seen Lyriq pics yet?

Wayne, post the Lyriq.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Someone at my office has a lyriq in the parkade occasionally. Pretty striking design! I haven’t really decided if I like it or not. I was a big fan of the CTS though

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Elviscat posted:

As far as I can tell, Washington has never cared about front plate enforcement, I got pulled over for speeding multiple times as a dirtbag teenager, and SPD and WSP didn't even bother to add the missing front plate to the tickets.

They need to stop doing that temp paper yeah bullshit though, half the time they're completely illegible behind the rear window's tint, other states have figured out how to issue plates same day.

i've been ticketed for it twice, once while parked in tacoma and another time when i caught a speeding ticket.

they've updated the paper temp plate law (as of mid 2023) so you now have to get a temp plate that goes in your normal spot but guess what? cops still dont enforce anything so scumbags are still driving around without plates doing who loving knows what

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

dissss posted:

Perforated 'leather' is worse to clean than fabric IMO and it's in many cars these days

This is why I don't quite like ventilated seats. I'll take the clean-ability over cooled seats any day.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

My sorento has the seat cooling and it doesn’t seem to do much if anything, maybe I don’t go on long enough drives for the cooling to make its way through or something.

The Volvo only has heaters and I’m fine with that.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I have a tendency to overthink and over plan things, but only 2 days after getting the Bolt I ordered an Emporia charger, and I'm out getting supplies to wire it in myself.

Since now I'm thinking about it, while I've been out I've seen 5 Teslas, and 4 of them have front plates. One of them (which was very much not a Cyber Truck) had the custom plate CYBERTRK.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

priznat posted:

There is an iX parked at my work that has a front license plate sticker on the front side bumper and no way that is legal in this jurisdiction (BC), lol

It looks just like the regular license plate just in giant sticker form.

I did not put a front plate on our iX, its ugly enough without the front plate making it worse. So far no tickets. Around here in NY you really only run into issue with towns/villages that have aggressive parking enforcement giving out front plate tickets. Just don't park in public in those plates and you are ok.

If we do start getting tickets for it, I will just get a tow hook plate mount.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

kill me now posted:

I did not put a front plate on our iX, its ugly enough without the front plate making it worse. So far no tickets. Around here in NY you really only run into issue with towns/villages that have aggressive parking enforcement giving out front plate tickets. Just don't park in public in those plates and you are ok.

If we do start getting tickets for it, I will just get a tow hook plate mount.

It’s a shame because bmw like most euro brands used to integrate the plate on the front well because it was a requirement in most if not all European jurisdictions. Now with the new grille it definitely does not lend itself to a front plate, NA or euro style!

The new phev 5 series/m5 looks amazing though

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Failson posted:

Have we seen Lyriq pics yet?

Wayne, post the Lyriq.

I do not own a lyriq. Will update if this changes.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Wayne Knight posted:

Dang it. I apologize.

Coulda sworn someone in this thread had a Lyriq inbound.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

My wifes uncle, the one who wanted to sell us his Mach E last week, has his ordered lyric being delivered anytime now. If I see it I'll take some photos.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Mine has been produced but no clues on how long it will take to get to me.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
I see Lyriqs regularly, honestly I think it is gorgeous.

I've owned by Mach-E for a little over a year now and have less than 6,000 miles on it, I couldn't possibly justify spending more money on a car (Honestly, I spent too much already in the sense is they in any way a justifiable expense) but if I had a long commute or needed to present a certain image career-wise, in a heartbeat.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jan 9, 2024

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Wayne Knight posted:

Proposed new thread rule: you must post if your Lyriq ownership status changes.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

How about I post whenever I don’t own a Lyriq and you’ll know I have one when it stops

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Took Baxter to Menards to get supplies for the Emporia install.

We named him Baxter for... reasons.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I took a bolt to me nards!!

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Wayne Knight posted:

I took a bolt to me nards!!

new thread title imo

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Glowing nards!

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I'm definitely going to be eyeing up the EV9 GT when it comes out next year. I want something that tows and V2L, and the EV9 looks to be perfect at that. Why did Kia come up with a name structure for their trim such as GT-Line and GT? It makes searching for them very annoying.

I am driving a new EV9 GT-Line, just got it a few days ago. What's expected to be different on the GT vs. the GT-Line?

If you have questions about the EV9, fire away. I am enjoying the car very much.

Some questions for the thread:

Keeping the battery warm
Do most BEVs automatically keep the battery warm if it's plugged in over night? Even if plugged in but not charging (ie, it hit my target % already)? Or, if I park my vehicle somewhere cold (say, in a garage while on a ski trip), should I expect to need to toggle a setting somewhere to make sure the battery is warmed over night?

Similarly, what about if the vehicle is NOT plugged in? Say I park at the ski slopes all day. Do most vehicles have a setting to spend charge to keep the battery warm while parked? Would I even want to do this, or is it preferable not to waste the energy and just have a cold battery when I'm done skiing?

Efficiency loss from roof boxes
I'm a skier and I plan to drive my new EV9 to the slopes. Skis are big, so I will purchase a roof box to hold skis and other cargo so my family doesn't have to Tetris themselves into the vehicle. Anyone here have experience or wisdom re. loss of battery efficiency due to the additional wind resistance from a large cargo box on the roof? I anticipate a significant mileage hit, but I want to hear from other people's real world experience. Should I expect -15%? -30%? -50%? Hopefully nothing that awful, but here's an article by Car And Driver claiming a 12% loss on an ICE vehicle from the roof rack crossbars alone with no box at all, so I'm worried it might be pretty bad.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I am driving a new EV9 GT-Line, just got it a few days ago.

I'd love to see a million pictures of this.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I am driving a new EV9 GT-Line, just got it a few days ago. What's expected to be different on the GT vs. the GT-Line?

I want it for the speed because having a 700 hp minivan is important obviously. Also getting the top end of a model just seems nice.

quote:

Do most BEVs automatically keep the battery warm if it's plugged in over night? Even if plugged in but not charging (ie, it hit my target % already)? Or, if I park my vehicle somewhere cold (say, in a garage while on a ski trip), should I expect to need to toggle a setting somewhere to make sure the battery is warmed over night?

Similarly, what about if the vehicle is NOT plugged in? Say I park at the ski slopes all day. Do most vehicles have a setting to spend charge to keep the battery warm while parked? Would I even want to do this, or is it preferable not to waste the energy and just have a cold battery when I'm done skiing?
They'll drop down below 0C depending on the ambient temperature but they're insulated enough that they'll never drop down to -30c or whatever. They don't warm their own traction battery until they're woken up, plugged in or not. You'll witness a significant power reduction if it's under 0c.

quote:

Efficiency loss from roof boxes
I'm a skier and I plan to drive my new EV9 to the slopes. Skis are big, so I will purchase a roof box to hold skis and other cargo so my family doesn't have to Tetris themselves into the vehicle. Anyone here have experience or wisdom re. loss of battery efficiency due to the additional wind resistance from a large cargo box on the roof? I anticipate a significant mileage hit, but I want to hear from other people's real world experience. Should I expect -15%? -30%? -50%? Hopefully nothing that awful, but here's an article by Car And Driver claiming a 12% loss on an ICE vehicle from the roof rack crossbars alone with no box at all, so I'm worried it might be pretty bad.

Since the EV9 isn't very aerodynamic you won't notice a major hit but it's still best to buy an aerodynamic roof case that will completely enclose your skis.

Nfcknblvbl fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jan 9, 2024

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Fall Dog posted:

I'd love to see a million pictures of this.

It's dark right now so I can't get good pictures, but I'll post some maybe tomorrow if I have time for a photoshoot.

Anything in particular you want to see?

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Keeping the battery warm

It'll keep it warmed correctly if you set a departure time, otherwise not, and it only works when plugged in. Other than that don't worry about it unless a significant new update comes out.

GT should be 95% the same, just horrifyingly fast.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

priznat posted:

VW ID.Buzz should be out in NA this year. I hope it really takes off.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

Took Baxter to Menards to get supplies for the Emporia install.

We named him Baxter for... reasons.

Looks great! Congrats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Civil posted:

VW ID.Buzz should be out in NA this year. I hope it really takes off.

It’s good but looks small, like Mazda 5 size. Which is great for a lot of people but I would rather have something odyssey/sienna/carnival sized.