Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Biplane posted:

Barefoot is illegal

Congrats on missing the actual joke, but I guess I shouldn't assume people know who Diogenes was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

AARD VARKMAN posted:

dear god no more shoe politics poo poo. no more anything about the politics behind companies, im sure there's a CSPAM thread for this

no im sure theres more good posts to be had on the subject. i can feel them brewing up right now

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

let's talk about something that's gotten really loving lovely: sports jerseys

when i was a kid i wore a lot of sports jerseys cause i was a huge football and basketball nerd and loved guys like randy moss, ladanian tomlinson, allen iverson, etc. all this poo poo was nicely made, like stitched numbers and stuff.

i don't really wear them anymore but i've kept track of how fanatics has acquired the license to be the official apparel company for all the major sports leagues and is putting out absolute dogshit. they are so bad that it's regularly hilarious how insanely they've hosed up apparel. they do weird poo poo like putting illinois on michigan hoodies or inexplicably shrinking the names on jerseys to microscopic sizes.

it's standard advice now to go to a chinese wholesaler, dhgate, to buy a jersey, because their poo poo is better quality than the official stuff for like 30 bucks.

michael rubin, fanatics's dogshit ceo, was on a podcast recently saying they have like 36 credible complaints about the quality of their product or something. lmfao

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

If you want to cosplay you're supposed to make the costume yourself :colbert:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Southern Cassowary posted:

when i was a kid i wore a lot of sports jerseys cause i was a huge football and basketball nerd and loved guys like randy moss, ladanian tomlinson, allen iverson, etc. all this poo poo was nicely made, like stitched numbers and stuff.

i don't really wear them anymore but i've kept track of how fanatics has acquired the license to be the official apparel company for all the major sports leagues and is putting out absolute dogshit. they are so bad that it's regularly hilarious how insanely they've hosed up apparel. they do weird poo poo like putting illinois on michigan hoodies or inexplicably shrinking the names on jerseys to microscopic sizes.

it's standard advice now to go to a chinese wholesaler, dhgate, to buy a jersey, because their poo poo is better quality than the official stuff for like 30 bucks.

michael rubin, fanatics's dogshit ceo, was on a podcast recently saying they have like 36 credible complaints about the quality of their product or something. lmfao

lol that official merch has the same problems as Chinese fakes, but the knockoffs actually do it right.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
It's like how aliexpress now basically sells the exact same stuff as Amazon for a fraction of the price if you don't mind waiting three weeks for it. it's not so much that aliexpress has gotten better and more that Amazon's turned to complete garbage

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I have a knockoff Leafs jersey and it does everything I need it to: be a jersey that soaks up beer and gets me into conversations I don’t want to be in

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Jelly posted:

I like it when it lets me drop it off at Staples but it doesn't always let me do that, but fortunately my UPS store is less than ten minutes away. If you expect this to be a regular thing for you you can order your own shipping label printer for like under $100.

Buy a label printer, use it to print the return labels, and then return it.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I have a lot of old ccm hockey jerseys and they’re solid as hell compared to the fanatics garbage

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Nettle Soup posted:

This idea is poetry.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Edit: Just re-read what I was replying to and realized I totally misunderstood what they said!

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jan 9, 2024

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Jelly posted:

I like it when it lets me drop it off at Staples but it doesn't always let me do that, but fortunately my UPS store is less than ten minutes away. If you expect this to be a regular thing for you you can order your own shipping label printer for like under $100.

I wish sizing was more standardized. Ordering anything you wear from Amazon can be an arduous experience.

I've got two skateboarding helmets by my door while I wait for the third to arrive to see if that one fits, then I'll return everything at once. Hopefully all to Staples.

Unless you're a business with a reputation of professionalism to uphold, why not print the label with a regular printer, cut it out, and tape it down?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i like nike (woke, supported colin kaepernick)

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Southern Cassowary posted:

Fnatics is to be avoided like the plague. Everything they do is such utter dogshit from their awful website, to their awful products, to their awful service. There was a time when getting Official™ Merchandise was expensive but pretty high quality, and Fnatics is just cashing in on residual good will.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
the nba jersey designs themselves have gone down the toilet too, especially the alts/city editions. no good design is ever brought back because collectors market false scarcity bs and most of the new designs are corny poo poo aimed at kids.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

Nettle Soup posted:

they won’t even give me the labels to print!

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

oh wait wrong thread

Toxic Mental fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jan 9, 2024

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

deep dish peat moss posted:

New balance is great for ppl with flat feet they're basically the only shoe that has no arch support at all

I have hardcore flat feet because of Ehlers-Danlos, and the're also really narrow.
I like Hokas for factory work that doesn't require a toecap and general daily use. My last pair were size 11.5 Gaviotas with a pricey insole with a hard, high arch. I got turned on to Hokas at the recommendation of a couple nurses who swear by them.
Toecaps are whatever vouchers afford and then probably some expensive insoles. Last ones I bought were some Reeboks that were actually pretty comfortable lounging shoes with a composite cap. Keen Atlanta Cools were also a go-to for the breathing they allowed in a full bunny suit, but they're also heavy as poo poo.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jan 9, 2024

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Woolie Wool posted:

Congrats on missing the actual joke, but I guess I shouldn't assume people know who Diogenes was

What was the joke

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

I have a lot of old ccm hockey jerseys and they’re solid as hell compared to the fanatics garbage

CCM was great, Adidas did great, even the reebok jerseys were actually fine compared to the Fanatics dumpster pile. Fanatics has bought exclusive rights to as much as they can at this point, and as mentioned they gently caress up almost everything possible. there is a twitter account that was documenting all of the poo poo people posted from christmas fuckups, things like putting the NFL logo on an MLB tshirt, getting the wrong state and team name or colors. I have no idea how they can gently caress these things up except either intentionally not doing any QC or just smashing poo poo together as fast as they can make their people work.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

So what's the end game with the enshitification of all the streaming services? They start to merge? Is that already happening with Prime? I see how they can act like a portal to other subscription services.

The fact NBC is choosing to stream an NFL playoff game instead of airing it on NBC as usual galls me. And even though its only 6$ a month for Peacock, I sure as heck ain't signing up.

Wonder what the NFL thinks of this. NFL games last year were something crazy like 97 of the top 100 most watched programming. And I can guarantee viewership for that Peacock only playoff game will be a faaaaar cry from tv ratings.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I thought they got smacked by the FCC last time they tried that since the large networks are all government subsidized to be available to everyone.

Anyway, end result is everyone streaming everything from Russia for free.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Philthy posted:

I thought they got smacked by the FCC last time they tried that since the large networks are all government subsidized to be available to everyone.

I hadn't heard that. But I doubt it's accurate because Thursday night NFL games have been on Amazon Prime for a season or 2. That said, you can watch for free via Twitch if you are so inclined. There's no other option this Saturday besides Peacock.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

redshirt posted:

So what's the end game with the enshitification of all the streaming services? They start to merge? Is that already happening with Prime? I see how they can act like a portal to other subscription services.

Hulu's history based on shareholders

Only registered members can see post attachments!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If you have comcast I think peacock is “free”

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Plex seems to have a thing going where it can tell you where something is avaliable, and you can tie your netflix and poo poo into it. I haven't tried any of that, because I use Plex, and that means I am a dirty pirate, but it might be good?

I also installed the Plex app on my phone and had to instantly turn off notifcations because it kept spamming me about shows which had been added. None of which I give a poo poo about, I think they must be on plex free somewhere. If I cared about those things, I'd find them myself!

Also my step-counter app, which I use entirely to put a counter on my main phone screen and to alert me when I've hit a good amount of steps has also started spamming a message every day about how "walking 10k steps is good for you!" "why don't you go for a walk!"

Seems like something they added on the new year, and it's a lovely christmas gift, so I had to turn off ones for that too.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
it's cool how some apps now beg you to turn their notifications back on so they can go back to sending you ads. Snapchat is the worst about this, literally every time you open it PLEASE TURN ON NOTIFICATIONS!!!! YES/NO

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Comcast had a data breach and lost all my personal information. They then took my contact information, name, address, email at least, and gave it to a 3rd party company so that the 3rd party could notify me about it.

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.

Nettle Soup posted:

Plex seems to have a thing going where it can tell you where something is avaliable, and you can tie your netflix and poo poo into it. I haven't tried any of that, because I use Plex, and that means I am a dirty pirate, but it might be good?

AFAIK you don't even have to tie your accounts together. The discover tab just shows what movies and tv are new on the services you tell it you have. It's pretty handy.

I tell it I have every account, and then add any trailer that looks good to my Plex watchlist which Radarr and Sonarr will automatically add from.

Its one thing that hasn't gotten shittier. Yet.

Salt Fish posted:

Comcast had a data breach and lost all my personal information. They then took my contact information, name, address, email at least, and gave it to a 3rd party company so that the 3rd party could notify me about it.

Same but Mortgage provider.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

euphronius posted:

If you have comcast I think peacock is “free”

Kind of. There's shows that are exclusive to peacock plus, those aren't included.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Salt Fish posted:

Two jobs back I worked for a place that gave all our personal data to a gym in exchange for discount on memberships. The gym then went on and resold our personal information, I don't know that anyone took them up on the membership, and thus concluded the best business deal of all time. For the gym.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Woolie Wool posted:

Do you think this sort of behavior is attractive?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
State farm stopped sending me insurance cards, now they send a physical letter saying to log into your app and optionally print the insurance card. I guess this is to save paper except lol, they MAILED ME A NOTICE SAYING TO PRINT IT!!!

Just kidding I know its to make you install the app so they can track you better.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Salt Fish posted:

State farm stopped sending me insurance cards, now they send a physical letter saying to log into your app and optionally print the insurance card. I guess this is to save paper except lol, they MAILED ME A NOTICE SAYING TO PRINT IT!!!

Just kidding I know its to make you install the app so they can track you better.

Huh, I just got my cards from them.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Salt Fish posted:

shazbot posted:

Same but Mortgage provider.

Same on the mortgage provider. I didn't even choose them. They bought my mortgage from my original provider and then lost all my personal info to a data breach.

:hfive:

They've offered me two years of credit monitoring but it seems the credit monitoring service is melting down under the wave of new "customers".

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I don’t want to hand a cop my unlocked phone to view the insurance card

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

MrQwerty posted:

Hulu's history based on shareholders

So, Disney buys everything?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

lol handing a cop my phone when he asks for my papers and he starts scrolling and poo poo. tapping the screen in various places. scrolling some more. doing the pinch gesture thing like he's zooming in/. "hmmm" he says

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

wash bucket posted:

Same on the mortgage provider. I didn't even choose them. They bought my mortgage from my original provider and then lost all my personal info to a data breach.

:hfive:

They've offered me two years of credit monitoring but it seems the credit monitoring service is melting down under the wave of new "customers".

Lol, even worse for me, I worked for a mortgage lender and did my loan through them and they still sold it off to Mr Cooper while I was working there!!! I can personally confirm the mortgage industry is mostly a bunch of people who failed in other areas duct taped together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Salt Fish posted:

I worked there for a decade, this is far from the most hilariously wasteful thing I’ve heard of them doing