Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Flesh Forge posted:

I think they said earlier that the tools to create and import correctly formatted model/texture content simply do not exist any more.

That's a real shame. There are some costume pieces (especially monster themed pieces) that don't really come as a complete set or don't have all their optional bits consistent across pieces. If they could have cleared all that up, that alone would have brought me back already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

fwiw they've said they do have the tools for animations/models/textures and all and they've definitely made new stuff in that regard. The smart phone emotes, innertubes, they just did a new batch of sunglasses.

The ways to do it apparently use old versions of software people typically don't use anymore, and developing for them also involves signing over all your contributions as their explicit property and that's scared off more than a few potential volunteers. Plenty of people are willing to work game balance and be the ideas guy for absolutely free, but it turns out 3D modeling and animation are hard and people usually prefer to be compensated for it. Go figure. :v:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Oh that's good to hear, the last I had read about it was a good while back and they literally could not find a release of the 3ds Max tool(s) that it required, guess they found them or some alternative!

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

They've also made a few NPC-only parts available too, like Doctor Aeon's gloves are a thing we can wear now.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Shambling into this thread like a ghost of christmas past.

Anyone got Fatty McLumpkin's contact info?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Soonmot posted:

I'd much rather do the tray position so I can just have a set of universal binds. Can I put these in a txt file and load them like mastermind binds?

Currently I'm using my pillows as a lovely desk to do m+kb lol

edit: Oh yeah, is there a diagram that shows what the various buttons are called for bind use?

edit 2: FOund it https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Xbox_360_Button_Mapping

What was messing me up is that the binding terminology is different than what the in game menu shows if you try to assign controller buttons the way you would assign keyboard keys. Now I think I'll be able to do this tomorrow.

Yes, you should be able to put them in a text file. I might be a little careful with that diagram, it looks like it was just copied from the old wiki information since it's got a dead link to NCSoft in it.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Diephoon posted:

I was gonna say something suggesting you chill out, but now i want to make an ice themed doctor named Chill Pill. Thank you for the inspiration. (There's no chance this name hasn't been taken)

e: rip

Very similar to my Ice/Bots MM, Professor Chillby

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Glazius posted:

Yes, you should be able to put them in a text file. I might be a little careful with that diagram, it looks like it was just copied from the old wiki information since it's got a dead link to NCSoft in it.

With the tray position commands yall told me about, I'm going to recreate the setup you screenshotted. If something doesn't work I'll def be crying for help about it here. I really do appreciate all the help.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
So is there a disable XP gain option for weirdo's like me who like to hang out in certain ranges and do rogue missions from the paper?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Caidin posted:

So is there a disable XP gain option for weirdo's like me who like to hang out in certain ranges and do rogue missions from the paper?

yeah it's the bottom option in one of the option menus. very useful if you have brainworms and want to do all of the contacts

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Jazerus posted:

yeah it's the bottom option in one of the option menus. very useful if you have brainworms and want to do all of the contacts

Thanks! The UI can be a maze sometimes.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Soonmot posted:

With the tray position commands yall told me about, I'm going to recreate the setup you screenshotted. If something doesn't work I'll def be crying for help about it here. I really do appreciate all the help.

I have a knockoff xbox 360 controller and was able to confirm that the control aliases l/rbumper, l/rtrigger, dpadup/down/left/right, and x/a/b/ybutton worked correctly with it.

Dr. Zoggle
Aug 12, 2006
Go Blue!

have they started deleting active characters yet? aka do I need to login and make sure no one takes Bo Jackson?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Dr. Zoggle posted:

have they started deleting active characters yet? aka do I need to login and make sure no one takes Bo Jackson?

Name Release is currently in the "warning icon" phase while the devs try to figure out why certain people who just logged out are seeing an inactive character warning.

Dr. Zoggle
Aug 12, 2006
Go Blue!

Glazius posted:

Name Release is currently in the "warning icon" phase while the devs try to figure out why certain people who just logged out are seeing an inactive character warning.

ah nice, there's about 20 names I'm going to let go back into the wild, but a few I gotta save

especially the ones I've had since live

Random Axis
Jul 19, 2005

Caidin posted:

I did the content on both sides and made a macro to toggle xp on and off. Just paste

/macro XP "option_toggle noxp"

into your chat window and it makes a gray button labeled XP. Pressing it turns your XP on and off.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

Random Axis posted:

I did the content on both sides and made a macro to toggle xp on and off. Just paste

/macro XP "option_toggle noxp"

into your chat window and it makes a gray button labeled XP. Pressing it turns your XP on and off.

One, that's awesome.

Two, I always just used the flashback system to do content I missed. Now, I really do dislike the fact you are in TF mode when you do this.

Is that convenience of being able to do other things what you want most? I'm genuinely curious.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

If you're doing the Praetoria leveling content you can out-level the 'moral choice' missions, because the mission where you actually make the choice is a 1-mission arc detached from the rest of it, and you obviously can't do those via flashback, but that's the main place I could see it being useful other than having to avoid TF mode for flashbacks.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Glazius posted:

I have a knockoff xbox 360 controller and was able to confirm that the control aliases l/rbumper, l/rtrigger, dpadup/down/left/right, and x/a/b/ybutton worked correctly with it.

Had time to experiment and neither of these styles are working for me

code:

/bind ltriggerr+y powexec_tray 1 1
/bind ltrigger+x powexec_tray 1 6
/bind JOYSTICK3_RIGHT+JOY2 powexec_tray 1 7
/bind JOYSTICK3_RIGHT+JOY1 powexec_tray 1 8

Same setup that you showed. So either my formatting is wrong, or could it be because I'm using a modern xbox controller instead of a xbone or 360?

Edit: I realized that tray 1 1 worked, so I thought that maybe the layout wasn't tray button, but button tray and set the ltrigger+x to 6 1. Nothing. Until I put a power into tray 6, slot 1 which then activated. So it's like I can bind the first slot in a tray, but not the others. WHICH IS NOT IDEAL lol

edit 2: dug out an xbone controller and same issues.

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 10, 2024

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Anyone having issues with one part of the UI being super tiny?

Trying to figure out how to scale it up without messing up all of the other windows.
Window_scale doesn't seem to help here, but I don't even know what to call this window.

edit: Found out how to fix it
/window_scale contactdialog 1.10

TalonDemonKing fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jan 10, 2024

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Soonmot posted:

Had time to experiment and neither of these styles are working for me

Hm. With this tray layout (bumpers bottom, triggers top):

Here's the joystick part of a dumped file of the binds that are working for me. You should just be able to copy this into a text file and bind_load_file it in:

code:
JOY1 "+down"
JOYMOD1+JOY1 "powexec_tray 10 3"
JOYMOD2+JOY1 "powexec_tray 10 4"
EXTRAMOD1+JOY1 "powexec_tray 10 1"
EXTRAMOD2+JOY1 "powexec_tray 10 2"
JOY10 "nop"
JOY2 "++autorun"
JOYMOD1+JOY2 "powexec_tray 5 3"
JOYMOD2+JOY2 "powexec_tray 5 4"
EXTRAMOD1+JOY2 "powexec_tray 5 1"
EXTRAMOD2+JOY2 "powexec_tray 5 2"
JOY3 "interact"
JOYMOD1+JOY3 "powexec_tray 3 3"
JOYMOD2+JOY3 "powexec_tray 3 4"
EXTRAMOD1+JOY3 "powexec_tray 3 1"
EXTRAMOD2+JOY3 "powexec_tray 3 2"
JOY4 "+up"
JOYMOD1+JOY4 "powexec_tray 4 3"
JOYMOD2+JOY4 "powexec_tray 4 4"
EXTRAMOD1+JOY4 "powexec_tray 4 1"
EXTRAMOD2+JOY4 "powexec_tray 4 2"
JOY5 "nop"
JOY6 "nop"
JOY7 "powexec_slot 5"
JOY8 "powexec_slot 1"
JOY9 "map"
JOYPAD_DOWN "target_enemy_far"
JOYMOD1+JOYPAD_DOWN "powexec_tray 7 3"
JOYMOD2+JOYPAD_DOWN "powexec_tray 7 4"
EXTRAMOD1+JOYPAD_DOWN "powexec_tray 7 1"
EXTRAMOD2+JOYPAD_DOWN "powexec_tray 7 2"
JOYPAD_LEFT "target_enemy_next"
JOYMOD1+JOYPAD_LEFT "powexec_tray 6 3"
JOYMOD2+JOYPAD_LEFT "powexec_tray 6 4"
EXTRAMOD1+JOYPAD_LEFT "powexec_tray 6 1"
EXTRAMOD2+JOYPAD_LEFT "powexec_tray 6 2"
JOYPAD_RIGHT "target_enemy_prev"
JOYMOD1+JOYPAD_RIGHT "powexec_tray 8 3"
JOYMOD2+JOYPAD_RIGHT "powexec_tray 8 4"
EXTRAMOD1+JOYPAD_RIGHT "powexec_tray 8 1"
EXTRAMOD2+JOYPAD_RIGHT "powexec_tray 8 2"
JOYPAD_UP "target_enemy_near"
JOYMOD1+JOYPAD_UP "powexec_tray 1 3"
JOYMOD2+JOYPAD_UP "powexec_tray 1 4"
EXTRAMOD1+JOYPAD_UP "powexec_tray 1 1"
EXTRAMOD2+JOYPAD_UP "powexec_tray 1 2"
JOYSTICK1_DOWN "+backward"
JOYSTICK1_LEFT "+left"
JOYSTICK1_RIGHT "+right"
JOYSTICK1_UP "+forward"
JOYSTICK2_DOWN "+lookup"
JOYSTICK2_LEFT "+turnleft"
JOYSTICK2_RIGHT "+turnright"
JOYSTICK2_UP "+lookdown"
Though looking at it, I would probably be better served by stacking attack and defence powers in the face/d-pad buttons of two trays, and for Shield Charge and Savage Leap I'll want to bind the button to powexec_location instead.

Glazius fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jan 10, 2024

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
For whatever reason I can't get the right trigger to work, but I found a workaround on the forums:
https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/28468-gamepad-trigger-modifier-issue/#comment-356067

quote:

Use "/controller_modifiers 7 7" to remove RTrigger from being a controller modifier.
This will change all references to "Right Trigger" in the in-game bind display to "Left Trigger" instead.
Use "/extra_modifiers LBumper RBumper RTrigger" to make RTrigger an extra modifier.
Rebind everything that used to be based on Right Trigger, but is now using Left Trigger, to once again use Right Trigger.
Be thorough, as you will have to go through this process every time you want Right Trigger to modify anything.
Save to keybinds.txt
Open keybinds.txt and note that what used to be 'JOYMOD2+JOY1 "powexec_alt2slot 10"' is now 'EXTRAMOD3+JOY1 "powexec_alt2slot 10"'
Use "/controller_modifiers 7 8" to once again make RTrigger a controller modifier.
This enables Virtual Mouse Mode.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Thank you, i was parsing it as tray/slot even though when I went back to check your setup you specifically said it slot/tray! My Right trigger isn't working and I can see someone already found a work around!

EDIT: Alright got it all fixed up. I would have thought that once I loaded a bind file, that character would always have those binds active, but it looks like I have to load it everytime. Good news is that I do NOT have to do the workaround, so something must be sticking around between games.

Thanks for the time and effort in walking me through this, I am pumped to get back into playing!

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jan 11, 2024

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Soonmot posted:

Thank you, i was parsing it as tray/slot even though when I went back to check your setup you specifically said it slot/tray! My Right trigger isn't working and I can see someone already found a work around!

EDIT: Alright got it all fixed up. I would have thought that once I loaded a bind file, that character would always have those binds active, but it looks like I have to load it everytime. Good news is that I do NOT have to do the workaround, so something must be sticking around between games.

Thanks for the time and effort in walking me through this, I am pumped to get back into playing!

Yeah, that character should have those binds active all the time. I went back onto that guy after I logged out and I think there might be some kind of bug with persisting joybutton binds. I'll go file a bug on the forums.

Fortunately, loading the bind file isn't a big step.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

i remember years ago there was an ogg file that would make glowies do a very SA terrible secret of space type noise so you could find them, is that floating around someplace?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Deviant posted:

i remember years ago there was an ogg file that would make glowies do a very SA terrible secret of space type noise so you could find them, is that floating around someplace?

Soonmot posted:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9wdtfml4xt1ephc/Goonbox-modified.rar?dl=0&file_subpath=%2Fdata

This is the version someone provided last year. Anything in the sounds that's marked "old", just delete the non-old version and then edit the file name to get rid of _Old to restore Shovar's kid's and honeycombs and a couple other things.

Saturn

So basically, goonbox started as a sound replacement for the /boombox command to put actual songs in there, like bananaphone, ra ra rasputine, intergalactic, bunch of other cool/silly/weird songs. Then we went ham, replacing texture files so that billboards displayed some photoshop friday memes, and just spicing up background images as well as other sounds.

The most infamous, is RamenPride's kids yelling at you in any mission that has a glowie in it. Instead of a quiet hum that you can hardly hear right next to the objective, you hear the space robots from like a room away and it's directional, so it really does guide you in.

To install it, just unzip it into your coh/data folder

I do not know if this is the latest version of goonbox where we deleted all of the "ironic" racist humor. It was only a couple billboards, I think.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Soonmot posted:

I do not know if this is the latest version of goonbox where we deleted all of the "ironic" racist humor. It was only a couple billboards, I think.

Mm, good point. I had not considered that it may not have aged well. I'll keep an ear slash eye out.

Ramen Pride!
Jan 13, 2001

Deviant posted:

Mm, good point. I had not considered that it may not have aged well. I'll keep an ear slash eye out.

I just posted this on my Facebook account:

"This is amazing news. Back in the day, my children and I, along with the SomethingAwful Forum Goons, played the HECK out of this MMO. I am SHOVAR ROBOT, the leader of the SPASE ROBOTS, and we are here to Protect you. My boys would run headlong into battles "Leeroy Jenkins style" and I would use Shoves to soak all the aggression and damage so that they didn't become little red smears on the pavement. At one point I discovered a bug in the game where one of the epic bosses on a main quest, Hamidon, could be entirely disrupted if a player used revives repeatedly while inside his "membrane". It caused the zone server to reset, bouncing all players and when everyone logged back in, Hamidon would be gone, leaving everyone disoriented and the raid entirely disrupted. When I stumbled across it it was while spoofing leading a raid and instructing a large group of pubbies to do jumping jacks while dying repeatedly... so when it happened I don't think I ever laughed so hard while playing a video game in my life. We named the bug "The History Eraser Button", reported it like good little Goons, and then I would like to say it wasn't abused until the issue was addressed and Hamidon raids were adjusted... but it was. I had a friend named Cabbie who especially found all sorts of ways to make life annoying for one pubbie named Hank Rearden who had gotten rather pompous about being a Hamidon raid major General using The History Eraser Button. My kids absolutely loved watching all the chaos unfold. Great times. I also modded the game three ways from Sunday, and the resulting Fae Symphony, titled "Goonbox" became pretty popular in the day, enough so I had to quit hosting it before it sucked all my bandwidth and it moved discreetly to SA's servers. It was primarily an audio mod, having fun modifying the sound effects, music cues, and tracks to pop culture themes and memes, but it used artwork memes and original pieces as well. I opened development and contribution to it and as a result it had some, only a few, elements that didn't age well over the decades and some revamping efforts were made to update it a few years ago, but everyone is very busy and they weren't finished. The gem in the crown of Goonbox turned out to be an afterthought, I modded the sound cue for "The Glowie" the sound effect of a quest object that needed to be clicked to complete a mission, from a generic throb to a multistereo performance of me and my children directing players to their objective which worked brilliantly in game and could really be used to zero in on an elusive object. People who remember still quote "Are you Blind?!?" and "Goons, Goons are the Best!" as my kids directed and sang to them during the clip. When NCSoft shut City of Heroes down back over a decade ago, little Baxter burst out in tears like a family pet had died. When fans managed to drag it back from the dead I was elated, but I was always worried they might get banhammered... but lookie! Now they're OFFICIAL! This is awesome news. I know nobody else really cares I guess... but if anyone else is looking for a great MMO to play for free, you just found it. Are you Protected? 🤖👻🧚‍♀️😺 #cityofheroes"

Sorry so clunky... I'm a bit rusty, lots of moving parts and over half a century old you know.... Anyway.... I'm glad you guys still like Goonbox! We should make sure the version available is edited right so the glowie effect is the right one and all. Oh. And look what I can do! OooOooOoooooo Shiny. ;)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ramen Pride!
Jan 13, 2001
By the way, I have a capture of a full party scene back in the day with a lot of your characters. :)

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
i saw pubbies talking about Cabbie the other day, it was wonderful. The version of goonbox I linked absolutely has your kids in it

Ramen Pride!
Jan 13, 2001

Soonmot posted:

i saw pubbies talking about Cabbie the other day, it was wonderful. The version of goonbox I linked absolutely has your kids in it

Hi Soonmot! :3 And... awesome! It warms the cockles of my cold black broken robot heart that people still use Goonbox. ;) I miss all you lugs. Here's a screenshot of one of our old photo shoots. At some point I keep saying I'll attempt to print it out, or at least some of the old crew, but things keep getting in the way. You know how it goes. Maybe after Groundhog Day at some point....

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Like many others ITT, CoH was the MMO of choice for me back in the day. I logged soooo many hours in this game. When my brother told me it was back with an official license from NCSoft, I installed the Homecoming client and gave it a shot.

I never thought that running around Atlas Park beating up Hellions would give me such a nostalgia rush, but man, I'm feeling like it's 2004 all over again. :D

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Did Homecoming ever strip names from inactive characters? I remember a few years back they were considering it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Not yet

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

They do put a warning mark on any character who is at risk of losing their name though. The higher level your character is, the longer you have before you could get your name taken.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
My character select screen said it had been just over 1000 days since I logged in with all my characters. None of them seem to have been renamed.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Diephoon posted:

My character select screen said it had been just over 1000 days since I logged in with all my characters. None of them seem to have been renamed.

Yeah its not actually on yet, it just says if you're at risk if they do turn on the policy.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I do find it funny that I spent roughly $1300 or so of my tax refund last year to upgrade my PC to newer hardware, and now I'm gonna be diving back into a game on it that came out 20 years ago. :corsair:

jiffynuts
Jul 6, 2005

It's a-me-a-ha-me-ha

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I do find it funny that I spent roughly $1300 or so of my tax refund last year to upgrade my PC to newer hardware, and now I'm gonna be diving back into a game on it that came out 20 years ago. :corsair:

I know the feeling. Zen 3 Ryzen and a 6800 video card to run 25 year old UO (Outlands) and now this. My gpu must be bored out of its mind. :classiclol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

check out the cel shade mode, the game looks REALLY GOOD with that on even though all the content was designed before anybody thought to implement such a thing