Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I should probably give Stranger of Paradise another go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

You can skip the cutscenes and it's a really good game (if your machine can run it) and you can happily cream chaos

If you don't skip the cutscenes u will laff, u will cry, u will love

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The final boss of 16 being an obvious class conflict analogy didn't really land for me because the story already had an actual class conflict that the writing got steadily less interested in as the game progressed. And Ultima seemed like a poor substitute for that.

I mean to me that's pretty much something all FF games do. Generally you have a more 'down to earth' element and it gradually shifts up into a massive symbolic version that you can fight. So FF7 goes from "corporations are killing the planet and dehumanizing people for their own profit" to the literal creation of that corporation fused with a space alien whose goal is to enact the same goal Shinra had on a massive and even more selfish scale.

FF8 is about finding your place in the world and the fear of loneliness and being forgotten and the fact you'll someday not exist and you end up fighting a space-time witch who is so afraid of being forgotten and dying that she wants to compress reality itself.

FF9 is about the general fear of death and being alone and what purpose your life has and it ends with a fight against the embodiment of death.

FFX is about an all-controlling religion using the concept of sin to force people to obey their rules and how just because a culture is used to a a certain way of acting doesn't make it immune to criticism and you fight the giant tick-priest who is literally piloting a giant sin mech. (Admittedly the giant sin mech is there from the start but a large bulk of the story is Tidus following a religious pilgramage and going 'wait, what? That's loving stupid" not to the good people but the ones using that religion as a method of control over good people.

So it doesn't really bother me because "the more down to earth plot gets shifted over to you fighting something that is a symbolic representation of that plot" is just kind of what I expect.

Even FF12, which is probably the most 'down to earth', still has the main villain fuse with an ancient god-being in an attempt to break the shackles that bind humanity to the past and the traumas and pains that come from being unable to move forward.

Ultima isn't one of the more interesting ones of course.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 8, 2024

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I know My Way inspired the game in the first place, and I wouldn’t change that for anything, but the song Stranger In Paradise also would have fit Stranger of Paradise.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I mean yeah final boss analogy is an FF thing but the difference between 16 and like say 9 is that 9 continues to prominently explore the fear of mortality in ways outside of Necron all the way up the credits while in 16 I feel like the last time bearers come up prominently in the Main Story is when the Black Shields massacre a couple of villages full of them. I'm sure i'm forgetting something because that's not even the halfway point of the game but still. I know they get a lot more play in sidequests (sometimes in more thought out ways than even the earlier parts of the main plot) but it felt to me like Ultima's presence completly dwarfed the actual class conflict and that made both the direct exploration of the theme and the analogy final boss come across weaker.

And also like you I had played XB3 the year before and that did the whole thing much better.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm playing Crisis Core and aside from that one conversation at the beginning between Zack and Angeal feeling very weird (The: 'Zack, embrace your dreams' part) and making me wonder if the rest of it was going to be like that (No, it's not) I'm having a good time. Makes me realize how little I knew about the story. I was expecting you to actually hang out with Genesis as part of the team for a bit like you did with Angeal instead of him already being AWOL at the beginning.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

New Zack sounds terrible

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

I know My Way inspired the game in the first place, and I wouldn’t change that for anything, but the song Stranger In Paradise also would have fit Stranger of Paradise.

I think "My Way" by Limp Bizkit would've been a better fit

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Meowywitch posted:

New Zack sounds terrible

Hes fine in Japanese

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

"For I am..."

"--I DON'T GIVE A gently caress WHO YOU ARE!"

Goddamn Jack owns, whether it's edgelord Jack, martyr Jack, or gentle and caring lover Jack.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jack is a good boy.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Sakurazuka posted:

Hes fine in Japanese

Well... Noted

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Raxivace posted:

It is pretty funny how both Xenoblade 3 and FF16 both end in a place named Origin with a final villain voiced by that guy from Game of Thrones, at least in the English dubs..

Yeah there had to have been a moment where some of the teams from both games talked to each other and were like “hey, wait a second”, as they were both in development at the same time lmao. Also both final bosses are weird blue guys with white hair who wax philosophic.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah the primary problem with ff16's ultimate bad guy in comparison to how any of the other games end is like, jenova is way weirder and cooler, ultimecia is a way more bizarre character in ways that are funnier to watch, and necron literally is just a symbolic final boss guy and not actually the main antagonist. in ff16 he's a combo of not immediately tied into the more compelling parts of the writing from the start and just too predictable and uninteresting of a character to be fun to witness. which is kind of a general thing with some ff16 characters as it goes on, some of them are really detached and wild but like, in ways that are weirdly boring in execution.

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 8, 2024

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

man nurse posted:

Every FF is looked upon in retrospect as good, but also the worst one

Back in the day sure you had contrarians making GBS threads on FFVII or whatever but every FF fan I ever talked to claimed the objective and eternally worst FF was FFII. I don't read comments like that so much anymore, even from olds. I guess all the rereleases have steadily fixed its more glaring issues but I myself have liked it ever since I played the Origins and Dawn of Souls versions forever ago.

The fact is, many of our beloved FF staples started with 2, not 1, and its gamelay and stuff is also way more interesting. Plus it actually did try to have a story and characters and poo poo.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
ff2 and 3 just landed in negative zones for people in the west cause we skipped over them so now we see everything they introduced purely in the light of how it was used in later games and not, how they came up with this poo poo and completely fixed the basic ui issues back after that rough first start in the 80s

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
When I played through the pixel remasters, 2 was my favourite of the "NES era". What surprised me is I thought 3 would be my favourite, and it ended up being my least favourite of the bunch. It's the only one I don't have all the steam achievements on and I can't be bothered to fire it up so I can find the last bestiary entry and the handful of hidden items I missed.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
After the pixel remaster I like 2 and 3 more than 4.

I think ff16's biggest issue is that it is a very good game but the most novel thing it does is being an FF game that was delivered on time and under budget. The beginning where you're a branded was interesting but that gets abandoned 3 or so hours in. The Eikon fights were interesting and that's just kinda it. Everything else was mostly just good and fun but without some kind of interesting hook either mechanical or narratively, it just kinda ends up getting glossed over.

Might also have helped if it didn't come out in the debatably best year for video games ever with several genre-defining incredible video games coming out which makes being a really good game not good enough.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I've always had a soft spot for 3 after playing the original fan translation like 25 years ago, and it's still one of my favorite OSTs. I also learned to enjoy 2 once I learned how the systems worked, it's actually pretty fun to break apart!

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Man, 16 is like a top 5 FF for me. I guess everything clicked for me in way it doesn’t for most other people. The only thing I didn’t like were maybe a few of the side quests and that it could’ve been harder for sure, everything else was stellar.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Man, 16 is like a top 5 FF for me. I guess everything clicked for me in way it doesn’t for most other people. The only thing I didn’t like were maybe a few of the side quests and that it could’ve been harder for sure, everything else was stellar.

FF16 has had a largely extremely positive reception outside of the console wars stuff and the people who claim it is destroying Final Fantasy as a concept. SA tends to have somewhat skewed views of things at times due to the demographics. (I am not saying that people's opinions are wrong, just that there's a lot of people out there who love Clive and want him to marry Gav or whatever.)

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Leal posted:

I think "My Way" by Limp Bizkit would've been a better fit
I've been saying this.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the thing about ff is that it's the kind of jrpg series where no game is ever truly like, hated by everyone. every ff game people call the worst ever has a pretty strong dedicated fanbase. it's largely the same with similarly big franchises like tales of but i think ff stands out the most for how literally any game you might say anything bad about has a massive audience of people who will disagree with you, owing to the fact that ff at its worst still usually has strong enough creative ideas and identity that it provided something unique that resonated with someone out there

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
That and each game in general is significantly different enough from other games in the franchise that most people will find at least one game they enjoy, and even the weirdest games have good receptions because if nothing else the presentation is usually top-notch and each FF excels in at least one area like gameplay, setting, characters, and so on.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The Colonel posted:

the thing about ff is that it's the kind of jrpg series where no game is ever truly like, hated by everyone. every ff game people call the worst ever has a pretty strong dedicated fanbase. it's largely the same with similarly big franchises like tales of but i think ff stands out the most for how literally any game you might say anything bad about has a massive audience of people who will disagree with you, owing to the fact that ff at its worst still usually has strong enough creative ideas and identity that it provided something unique that resonated with someone out there

I would never call any mainline numbered FF a bad game, despite criticizing the likes of VIII ro XIII constantly. I've said it a million times but the worst FFs are the worst to me solely because of untapped potential. FFXIII in particular has a really fascinating world which is why itts decision to only really focus on six characters sucks. It could have been way better with a proper villain and some more compelling side characters. I wanted to see and experience more of Cocoon. Despite all that, I like the party a lot, I adore the soundtrack, and Cocoon remains a really cool setting.

So the worst FFs are only "the worst" because they could have been the best FFs with a few tweaks is my position. Give us more stuff with Barthandelus and the fal'Cie's real motivation of "gently caress it, we're tired and just want us to die." Let us explore some of the cities of Cocoon. That's all it would take to bump XIII way up the list of FFs for me.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jan 9, 2024

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

NikkolasKing posted:

Back in the day sure you had contrarians making GBS threads on FFVII or whatever but every FF fan I ever talked to claimed the objective and eternally worst FF was FFII. I don't read comments like that so much anymore, even from olds. I guess all the rereleases have steadily fixed its more glaring issues but I myself have liked it ever since I played the Origins and Dawn of Souls versions forever ago.

The fact is, many of our beloved FF staples started with 2, not 1, and its gamelay and stuff is also way more interesting. Plus it actually did try to have a story and characters and poo poo.

I poo poo on 7 when it came out but it was almost entirely sour grapes because I was too poor to have a ps1

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I poo poo on 7 when it came out but it was almost entirely sour grapes because I was too poor to have a ps1

I know a guy on another site who got FFVII on PC because he couldn't afford a PS1, either. This always felt strange to me because wouldn't a computer that can run FFVII be more expensive than a Plsytation? I have no idea. All I know is I had a PS1, and my grandma was pretty poor. Maybe somebody in my family helped her get it since we had relatives who were way better off, and I never asked cuz I was like 10 or something.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

ImpAtom posted:

See, to me, Ultima felt meaningfully personal because he's super bluntly a stand-in for "the incredibly wealthy who are content to effectively enslave people and use them to sap every bit of life from the land as long as they themselves profit off it and who is both responsible for Thinly Veiled Magic Climate Change and willing to destroy everyone else in an attempt to stave off the consequence for they themselves."

Like the entire plot of the game is extremely unsubtle about being about how the rich and powerful use their control and class conflict to distract from their own crimes while ignoring the oncoming plight of climate change because they are convinced they will be the ones who don't have to suffer from it, either via wealth, power or religion. So it ending with you punching the embodiment of Rich Shitheads In The Face and then redistributing their wealth with a side effect of "even this won't solve everything and the future will probably suck for a while" worked just fine for me as something I found personally meaningful.

Within plot terms I feel like giving Clive the embodiment of slavery and oppression to punch is fine in JRPG terms, though he's not my favorite JRPG final boss (or even favorite FF boss) by any means.

Edit: Stranger of Paradise also about punching the rich shitheads who profit off the work of others so I'm also good with it.

However another RPG I liked, Xenoblade 3, did the exact same themes with a better cast and plot so welp.

For me the thing that brought me down about how FF16's story spun out was that the Crystalline Dominion story's ending was so good, purestrain Greek tragedy -- the imperialist father gutted by the son that had been trying to save him, the racist slaver mom driven to insanity that she committed suicide in front of her childen...

but oh wait there's still another act so let's spend a few hours squaring off against zombies led by bland-rear end villain who keeps winning because the plot needs it and you have to listen to the same monologue three different times.

By the end I thought they righted the ship enough for me to feel satisfied with how things ended up, but that act of the story was so boring to me lol

RME
Feb 20, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

I know a guy on another site who got FFVII on PC because he couldn't afford a PS1, either. This always felt strange to me because wouldn't a computer that can run FFVII be more expensive than a Plsytation? I have no idea. All I know is I had a PS1, and my grandma was pretty poor. Maybe somebody in my family helped her get it since we had relatives who were way better off, and I never asked cuz I was like 10 or something.

Yes a pc would likely be more expensive but they probably already had the pc for other reasons presumably, especially if they didn’t have it right when ff7 launched. And also contribute to not wanting to buy a PlayStation either

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

yeah I ended up getting it on PC because my dad had a decent one for work that I could use

I did end up getting a PS1 eventually, about a year or 2 into the PS2 lifecycle :shrug:

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I went from waiting for 7 to come out on PC to buying a PS4 on sale in December 2019 to play Remake to buying a PS5 in early 2021 at the inflated scarcity price with bundled games I haven't touched just to play Intergrade.

I did not have any interest in getting any consoles for the 15+ years prior, but Remake had me rip the band-aid off completely.

Squeenix :argh: :unsmith: :argh:

anakha fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jan 9, 2024

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

NikkolasKing posted:

I know a guy on another site who got FFVII on PC because he couldn't afford a PS1, either. This always felt strange to me because wouldn't a computer that can run FFVII be more expensive than a Plsytation? I have no idea.

Back then, PC hardware requirements for games weren't quite as high as they are today. You could play most games on ordinary pcs in the living room corner that mom & pop bought for the occasional home office work. The first GPU is widely considered the geforce 256 for example, which didn't exist until 1999, a year after the PC version of FF7.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Considered by people who just blanked out 3dfx for some reason..?

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead
The Geforce 256 was the first GPU in the sense that it was marketed as such and was the first commercial chip to successfully incorporate hardware TNL, which made it significantly better than what came before, but it wasn’t the first graphics card and certainly didn’t represent the start of the market. PC gamers had already been spending hundreds of dollars on all sorts of graphics cards for years by that point.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

The Colonel posted:

ff2 and 3 just landed in negative zones for people in the west cause we skipped over them so now we see everything they introduced purely in the light of how it was used in later games and not, how they came up with this poo poo and completely fixed the basic ui issues back after that rough first start in the 80s

2 just straight up having a morrowind, or I guess Ultima, talk system all the way back on the nes was so cool, plus you could see the whole battle field now instead of just a box

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

pretty sure I still have multiple 3DFX Voodoo cards somewhere in a box (and a Sound Blaster Live! card)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Raxivace posted:

Yeah like a lot of people I bought Stranger of Paradise semi-ironically but I was pretty unironically invested in Jack by the end of it. That ending is legitimately moving IMHO.

I bought SOP unironically and it was good unironically. Fistbump your friends today

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
SOP rules

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

It's good, but I can only play, like, an hour at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
The guy who made Awful Fantasy just posted a public apology for making it and it's ruining my ability to sleep