Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

nwin posted:

Indirect water heaters-thoughts? Estimated costs?

I’ve got an oil fired boiler with a tankless coil and three heating zones for baseboard heat.

During the summer, things work fine. Except if I try to run two things at once (shower and the washer means I’m getting a lukewarm shower, for example). If I run two baths back to back, the second bath runs a little cooler.

I ran this by my service tech last summer when he was out and he said everything looks fine and just adjusted my hot water temp a bit higher. It didn’t really help that much.

We just had our first cold snap (20 degrees F) in Connecticut and had the baseboards running during the day in the house while we were home. My wife went to take a shower and even with the hot water cranked all the way, it was lukewarm from the start.

I googled it and an episode of this old house said an indirect water heater could be a good solution.

I’m going to call for some quotes and stuff, but any ideas on if this is a feasible solution?

When I first moved in here 1.5 years ago, I freaked out about a 35 year old single stage boiler (you all have since talked me off that ledge-thanks) and got quotes for a new high efficiency one and the hvac people never suggested an indirect water heater as a potential solution, though I never mentioned it as a problem. They were more focused on selling me a new high efficiency oil boiler for $13k.

I feel like an indirect water heater could solve my problems based on what I’ve read so far, but happy for any other opinions.

I love hvac companies. One of them is coming for a quote but they mentioned that maybe some internal pieces of my boiler are on the way out, which would explain my lack of hot water. Then she said even if I get the indirect tank, I might still have issues. She then mentioned my boiler will die within 1-5 years, regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I think the worst thing about owning a home is the two big ticking time bombs you will inevitably have to fall on: Replacing the roof and the HVAC. Both are extremely expensive and it’s only a matter of time.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Invalid Validation posted:

I think the worst thing about owning a home is the two big ticking time bombs you will inevitably have to fall on: Replacing the roof and the HVAC. Both are extremely expensive and it’s only a matter of time.

And the sewer, although people usually just let it fail almost completely then sell the house

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
All of the core house functions are right in a row in the storage area in the basement - hvac, water softener, hot water heater, and sump pump.

Since owning this house I’ve replaced everything starting from right to left. And the hvac is a hybrid heat pump going on 13 years so yeah, it’s just a matter of time.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I will probably be too old and decrepit to do it myself when my roof needs replacing. Metal roofs last a long while.

Our heat pump is 10 years old now, it's probably the most suspectible thing in our house to fail.

Our hvac is very simple for being a heat recovery unit, some motors and fans really. Already replaced the bearings in one motor. Was 10€ for F.A.G. bearings vs 400€ for a new fan. I hope to be able to keep it going for a long time.

What I am most worried about is the floor heating might fail, start to leak. I have no real idea for how to deal with that. Just hoping it'll keep working for my lifespan so it can be somebody elses problem. Maybe they'll install radiators.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
My grandfather's furnace was installed in the 60s and is still going.

The tradeoff here is that it's comically inefficient

Sirotan posted:

I recently had a sliding patio door put in where only a window was previously. I went to a local window and door showroom and talked with a sales guy, picked out the door I wanted and had one of their installers come by to give me a quote for install. After I signed the contract they drew up plans to send to the city to pull the permits, then cut the hole in the side of the house and installed the new door. It only took the guy two days to do the install after the door came in ~8 weeks after I signed the contract.

Thanks!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Trick for the roof is living in a climate with frequent hail and windstorms. I think every homeowner around here has had their roof replaced by insurance at least once.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Yep this is the way.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

His Divine Shadow posted:

What I am most worried about is the floor heating might fail, start to leak. I have no real idea for how to deal with that. Just hoping it'll keep working for my lifespan so it can be somebody elses problem. Maybe they'll install radiators.

I can tell you what they do here in the US. After WWII Levitt built entire neighborhoods with this extremely thick-walled copper pipe gridded into the slab. The lime worked on the copper, and after 30-40-years or so they all started to fail.

Most were replaced by forced-air units installed in the attic space and blowing down from the ceilings. Not ideal, but the least invasive; only other reasonable option was to drop wiring down the walls and go with electric baseboard heat, for which the walls have to be opened somewhat to at least chase wire.

They buried the water & sewer in/under the slab too; those failures were fun.

Enos Cabell posted:

Trick for the roof is living in a climate with frequent hail and windstorms. I think every homeowner around here has had their roof replaced by insurance at least once.

Paid $1000 to have my roof replaced in 2019. Roof was 37-years old I’d been repairing wind damage since ‘92. Wind took four shingles in 2018; the shingles were so brittle by then, they snapped like crackers. Enter Usaa, paid to replace it.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jan 9, 2024

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

PainterofCrap posted:

Paid $1000 to have my roof replaced in 2019. Roof was 37-years old I’d been repairing wind damage since ‘92. Wind took four shingles in 2018; the shingles were so brittle by then, they snapped like crackers. Enter Usaa, paid to replace it.

When we had that 2" of rain a couple of weeks ago, I popped into my attic and noticed a small amount of water coming in (just enough to wet the joists). I know you work in insurance, so I'll ask, is that generally enough to get a claim made? My roof is one of those stupid mcmansion style ones with multiple angles and poo poo, so I'm easily looking at 15-20K for a new roof, if I can ease some of that burden I'd love to find out how.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

AFewBricksShy posted:

When we had that 2" of rain a couple of weeks ago, I popped into my attic and noticed a small amount of water coming in (just enough to wet the joists). I know you work in insurance, so I'll ask, is that generally enough to get a claim made? My roof is one of those stupid mcmansion style ones with multiple angles and poo poo, so I'm easily looking at 15-20K for a new roof, if I can ease some of that burden I'd love to find out how.

No; there has to be wind / hail damage to the roof.

Roofs can leak due to wear & tear or a build defect, neither of which HO insurance will cover. The resulting water damage inside your house, however, is covered.

To get at least the affected slope replaced, the shingles have to fail a “brittle test,” or not be able to be lifted up at least 40-degrees, the minimum required to get far enough under the shingle to remove the damaged one / nails with a flat-bar, and to swing a hammer or get a roofing nailgun into the seal strip of the replacement shingle.

Start around 3:35:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EB-D_NwJz2I

By the way, using roofing cement like Karnak (get a Heavy Metal vibe!) is a requirement for laminated shingles on pitches steeper than 12/12; because they’re composed of multiple layers adhered together, the adhesive on laminate shingles is insufficient to hold their mass in place as the installation approaches the vertical. On such vertical faces (like mansard roofs and little pent roofs over bay windows and the top of the front elevation of rowhomes), it’s very common to see laminate shingle tabs dropping away from horizontal like rotting teeth, because the extra adhesive wasn’t used.

Roofers love laminates because they don’t require quite as much care to align them on the installation; the ‘jumbled’ look makes less-skilled roofers look good.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jan 9, 2024

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

PainterofCrap posted:

No; there has to be wind / hail damage to the roof.

Roofs can leak due to wear & tear or a build defect, neither of which HO insurance will cover. The resulting water damage inside your house, however, is covered.

To get at least the affected slope replaced, the shingles have to fail a “brittle test,” or not be able to be lifted up at least 40-degrees, the minimum required to get far enough under the shingle to remove the damaged one / nails with a flat-bar, and to swing a hammer or get a roofing nailgun into the seal strip of the replacement shingle.

I'm surprised to hear insurance would cover a new roof in this situation, why wouldn't that be rejected as expected wear and tear and the cost of replacement be considered regular house maintenance?

I don't live in a heavy hail area myself and have never heard of anyone getting insurance to replace their roof for wind storm damage.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

PainterofCrap posted:

Roofing deductibles are way up in my area. Most insurance companies are pushing 2% wind/hail deductibles, some are still offering 1% right now. If anything happens to my roof I'm writing a 5K check

Also why are roofs so expensive? I'm guessing roofing company margins are insane.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Lol *** bearings

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I’m getting quotes right now for a re roof, one roofer can get me in this winter for $37K, the rest of the roofers have 18 month lead times but are only quoting mid 20s. But my roof is leaking now

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

PainterofCrap posted:

By the way, using roofing cement like Karnak (get a Heavy Metal vibe!) is a requirement for laminated shingles on pitches steeper than 12/12; because they’re composed of multiple layers adhered together, the adhesive on laminate shingles is insufficient to hold their mass in place as the installation approaches the vertical. On such vertical faces (like mansard roofs and little pent roofs over bay windows and the top of the front elevation of rowhomes), it’s very common to see laminate shingle tabs dropping away from horizontal like rotting teeth, because the extra adhesive wasn’t used.

Huh! That explains why 2 shingles just fell off my shed roof. Exactly as you described.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

A MIRACLE posted:

I’m getting quotes right now for a re roof, one roofer can get me in this winter for $37K, the rest of the roofers have 18 month lead times but are only quoting mid 20s. But my roof is leaking now

You must have a complicated roof.
We are paying $50k cdn for a metal roof, but if it was just an asphalt one, it would be like $15k

Roofing during the winter is the worst though, I wouldnt' want to do that.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

they laughed at me when I asked about a metal roof. its a 100 year old house with dormers, skylights, and extensions / additions

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Elem7 posted:

I'm surprised to hear insurance would cover a new roof in this situation, why wouldn't that be rejected as expected wear and tear and the cost of replacement be considered regular house maintenance?

I don't live in a heavy hail area myself and have never heard of anyone getting insurance to replace their roof for wind storm damage.

If there’s a covered loss (wind, in this case) and the roof cannot be repaired because it’s so old & brittle, then we owe for at least the slope (because the ridge cap / shingles can be removed without affecting the adjacent/opposite slopes). Sometimes it’s the southern slope that's hammered, and the other slopes are still repairable. In any event, it’s not cost-effective to try & slip repairs in on a ritz cracker roof. Just a losing proposition, breaking more as you go.

I have written to replace a roof down to the rafters because there 2 or 3 or more layers of shingles on top of a shake roof on furring strips that was installed sometime before 1962 and there has to be a plywood decking.

My roof has plywood on top of the furring strips. I lost seven shingles; four on one slope, three on another. The adjuster got up there and it crackled when he walked it. That was enough for him.

This is why you’re seeing this emphasis on underwriting inspecting roofs, wanting proof of roof replacement, etc. also predatory hail/storm chasers signing up whole neighborhoods.

skipdogg posted:

Roofing deductibles are way up in my area. Most insurance companies are pushing 2% wind/hail deductibles, some are still offering 1% right now. If anything happens to my roof I'm writing a 5K check

I'm guessing roofing company margins are insane.

Roofing is a young man’s game but still requires some skill, unfortunately wanting, especially since Covid.

Roofers will hire day laborers out of parking lots & pay them maybe $100 for a 12-hour day. If they get injured they’ll try to dump them outside of an ER or doc-in-a-box. Sayonara!

So yeah: insane margins.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 9, 2024

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I am on the last legs of my year long home efficiency project. The last thing I have to do is to figure out how to best insulate these pipes. They appear to be old iron pipes, roughly 14 inches in diameter, needless to say I cant find easily available foam insulation for these.

My thought was that Im basically stuck with something like this - https://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-King-3-in-x-1-2-in-x-25-ft-Fiberglass-Pipe-Wrap-Kit-SP41X/100032413 The R value will suck but its better than nothing since I will likely never find any foam pipe insulation in the right size.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I am on the last legs of my year long home efficiency project. The last thing I have to do is to figure out how to best insulate these pipes. They appear to be old iron pipes, roughly 14 inches in diameter, needless to say I cant find easily available foam insulation for these.

Do you mean circumference? Those pipes aren't over a foot wide. Take some string or something and wrap it around, straighten it out, measure it, then divide by pi. That is your diameter.

Amazon has 6" diameter r7 for $35/ft.

Also use something faced so the outside of the insulation has a cover on it. Even putting "r1" on there will help prevent draft from blowing the heat off.

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 10, 2024

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Sorry yeah circumference!

Do you have a link? I had a hard time finding anything but 1 or 3/4 inch pipe insulation.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Literally slap "6 in pipe insulation" into Google and you will get a ton of options. This was $351 for 10x 3' sections. (I am on mobile right now.)

And 14" / pi ≈ 4.5"

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Sorry yeah circumference!

Do you have a link? I had a hard time finding anything but 1 or 3/4 inch pipe insulation.

https://www.mcmaster.com/products/pipe-insulation/insulation-type~tube/id~4-1-2/

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I am dumb. I just scrolled through pages of inch foam pipe insulation without actually putting in my size. I blame sleep desperation due to toddlers.

Thank you all. I'm sure I won't get the money back in effeciency gains that I spend but oh well. This is the last part of my expensive project so may as well see I through.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I blame sleep desperation due to toddlers.

I assume you meant deprivation but with young kids this is still technically correct

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

BaseballPCHiker posted:

My thought was that Im basically stuck with something like this - https://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-King-3-in-x-1-2-in-x-25-ft-Fiberglass-Pipe-Wrap-Kit-SP41X/100032413 The R value will suck but its better than nothing since I will likely never find any foam pipe insulation in the right size.
I’m curious why are you insulating sewer/waste lines or why you have such massive pipes for supply lines?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
More plumbing questions: Recently I had all the pipes under all 4 of my sinks replaced.

One sink, a sort of dual vanity (two vanities side by side but technically divided by a wall - one is in main bathroom area and one is in enclosed toilet area), has a real earthy/dirt smell coming. Not methane/sewer gas. Just a fistful of fresh soil smell.

We thought it was the gross old P trap but once that was all replaced the smell was still there and still strong. So at this point I'm guessing it's from the pipes outside or in the walls.

It's only one single sink out of the whole house which is strange. What could be causing a very soil/earthy smell? My wife fears some sort of pipe root intrusion but surely we'd also smell it in the sink right next to it (we don't).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I’m curious why are you insulating sewer/waste lines or why you have such massive pipes for supply lines?

Those appear to be steam boiler heat runs.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

shoeberto posted:

I assume you meant deprivation but with young kids this is still technically correct

God damnit.... So tired.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Those are just the pipes in my house.

Motronic posted:

I pulled all of the old building permits for my house and you are correct! The house, built in 1911, once had a steam boiler. Now these pipes just run standard radiators, and some of my water lines as well.

I replaced the boiler as part of my larger renovation project as well, but the plumbers recommended leaving all of this piping in seeings how I had no plans to ever finish the basement and didnt need the head space. It wouldve also involved a lot of time and money.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Motronic posted:

Oh neat! Radiators/steam heat aren't common here even in old houses so I'm not familiar with them-big cast iron pipe here is almost always waste lines.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

They used the same type of pipe for the old gutters of this place too! They use to just go direct into the storm sewers back in the day, So I have a bunch of those remnants in my basement that are all capped off and filled with cement. If I'm ever feeling ambitious one day I'll take them out so I have some more storage room.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I'm a big proponent of ripping poo poo out that's no longer used or functional. I've removed old phone wiring, ducting, galvanized steel pipes, floor heater remains, old coax, etc. Less is more in the attic, crawlspace, basement imo.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

And the septic system! :eng99: (looks at thread title and sobs)

No, we're still in limbo. The aggressive neighbor who is building new retaining walls in the garden has vowed to go to the other neighbor and negotiate her into selling us a more useful piece of land that is above us.

slave to my cravings posted:

First thing to do is go around the entire perimeter of your house and look for somewhere that they could be getting in. Any obvious holes, loose siding, etc. Seal it up with caulk, expanding foam, steel wool, etc.
Somebody earlier in the thread said that rat-resistant expanding foam exists.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It does, but I still like to back it with patching the hole with hardware cloth (if its big) or stuffing it with steel wool before foaming.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/GREAT-STUFF-16-oz-Pestblock-Insulating-Spray-Foam-Sealant-with-Quick-Stop-Straw-99053993/207077796

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

And the septic system! :eng99: (looks at thread title and sobs)

No, we're still in limbo. The aggressive neighbor who is building new retaining walls in the garden has vowed to go to the other neighbor and negotiate her into selling us a more useful piece of land that is above us.

LOL you've got the neighbourhood bully on your side! Nothing yet from the engineer then?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Jenkl posted:

LOL you've got the neighbourhood bully on your side! Nothing yet from the engineer then?
I thiiiink they're waiting to hear from us on whether the denial from the neighbor is definite. Wall-building neighbor isn't a bully, he just doesn't listen to opinions other than his own. He thinks I'm a pushover, and he's right.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I thiiiink they're waiting to hear from us on whether the denial from the neighbor is definite. Wall-building neighbor isn't a bully, he just doesn't listen to opinions other than his own. He thinks I'm a pushover, and he's right.

Tell him I'm gonna beat him up

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Do not beat him up. He is my only hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
Obi-wan kenobstinate.