Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

fartknocker posted:

Hire me as your QC and I promise we’ll run the most exciting version of the Tecmo Super Bowl playbook you ever did see!

But how dynamic will the flea flickers be, and can you promise me that you will install a sweep camera to make sure every TD gets the quarterback fistpump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
The Tecmo Bowl offense is pretty unbeatable if you just have your guys zigzag all over the field , expertly eluding the defenders.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1744489542902558815?t=a1tXtgBS7d3UN-Lu_TA4Bg&s=19

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

That'll go over well

Ignoring the um, league concerns, I want to watch Gruden show Taysom Hill footage and just grunt excitedly. Feels like he'd be a Taysom guy.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
I forget—and assume—gruden is suing the nfl over being a poor persecuted straight white man who lost his job unfairly?

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Pontius Pilate posted:

I forget—and assume—gruden is suing the nfl over being a poor persecuted straight white man who lost his job unfairly?

He was fired for saying some racist poo poo in emails during the investigation into Snyder and the Commies. He's a poo poo but lol scapegoated hard.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Day 1: Gruden will call Dennis Allen a slur for apologizing to the Falcons.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Ches Neckbeard posted:

He was fired for saying some racist poo poo in emails during the investigation into Snyder and the Commies. He's a poo poo but lol scapegoated hard.

Is saying a bunch of racist and homophobic stuff in emails not grounds for firing? Like you can go 14-2 and get fired and I don’t think Marty had any grounds for suing the chargers. Genuinely curious, no idea about nfl coach contract law

e: well Marty definitely did but not in like a legal sense…

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Pontius Pilate posted:

Is saying a bunch of racist and homophobic stuff in emails not grounds for firing? Like you can go 14-2 and get fired and I don’t think Marty had any grounds for suing the chargers. Genuinely curious, no idea about nfl coach contract law

e: well Marty definitely did but not in like a legal sense…

The investigation was into Washington's EVERYTHING and someone who didn't work for them suffered the consequences. Only Gruden got hit with anything

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Ches Neckbeard posted:

The investigation was into Washington's EVERYTHING and someone who didn't work for them suffered the consequences. Only Gruden got hit with anything

Snyder definitely deserved consequences but sometimes investigations turn up other people who deserve consequences. Nobody thought Nixon was going to be that culpable when the initial watergate poking abouts started

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Pontius Pilate posted:

Snyder definitely deserved consequences but sometimes investigations turn up other people who deserve consequences. Nobody thought Nixon was going to be that culpable when the initial watergate poking abouts started

I'm not saying don't fire him, but lol that he's the only one that went down for everything that went on under Snyder. That was 100% Snyder trying to get heat off himself.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

gruden will dip his toe in the waters as a slurs consultant to derek carr and dennis allen

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
The lawsuit is arguing the NFL improperly and purposely leaked the emails out and threatened him to release more if he didn’t resign.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

LOL at anyone wanting to give Dan Quinn another head coaching try.

Quinn had a functioning Matt Ryan and Julio Jones and spent his last three years doing the same thing that Smith did with Mariota, Ridder and Heinicke.

Plus 28-3.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

biceps crimes posted:

gruden will dip his toe in the waters as a slurs consultant to derek carr and dennis allen

Derek Carr doesn't want to swear so I imagine this is a major terminology concern for the offense

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Hand Row posted:

The lawsuit is arguing the NFL improperly and purposely leaked the emails out and threatened him to release more if he didn’t resign.

Weren’t some of the leaked mails also Gruden calling Goodell a pussy or various homophobic slurs? Not to excuse Gruden in any way for the poo poo he said but it seemed like very obvious retaliation and possibly extortion to selectively leak these exact messages from a massive report

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Docjowles posted:

Weren’t some of the leaked mails also Gruden calling Goodell a pussy or various homophobic slurs? Not to excuse Gruden in any way for the poo poo he said but it seemed like very obvious retaliation and possibly extortion to selectively leak these exact messages from a massive report

Yeah, that was in there to. Highly doubt that it was only Gruden using the language. We only heard about him. I don't mean to sound like an apologist, but man got sacrificed to cover for Snyder.

loving cameras in the stairwells for upskirts but Gruden goes down for saying racist poo poo. This all happening at the racist name team.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
Hard to believe that literally the only thing that came from the massive investigation were some lovely emails from someone not actually employed by the team at all...makes you think

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Might have missed it - have we heard anything about what the Raiders are doing yet?

Antonio Pierce getting that Raiders HC job is probably the feel good storyline I'm most invested in, outside of where my Lions coordinators end up. The vibe fit there is off the scale. Do it, Davis.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

mcmagic posted:

I hope Aaron Glenn isn't just the Rooney rule token interview for year after year and actually gets a job.

He 100% is though

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Black Sunshine posted:

Hard to believe that literally the only thing that came from the massive investigation were some lovely emails from someone not actually employed by the team at all...makes you think

There may not have been anything official but I don't think Snyder selling up immediately afterwards was a coincidence.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

The NOLA players hosed up and it’s okay to admit that. Otherwise Jameis wouldn’t have bothered even half-assing an apology. There is such a thing as non-verbal agreements, and the kneel is a non-verbal agreement that “we’re done here”.

I’m sure this topic will come back around next season when a Center or QB gets blown up out of the victory formation.

Then we’ll hear cries of “bUt tHE gAmE WAs ovEr!”

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

John Brown posted:

The NOLA players hosed up and it’s okay to admit that. Otherwise Jameis wouldn’t have bothered even half-assing an apology. There is such a thing as non-verbal agreements, and the kneel is a non-verbal agreement that “we’re done here”.

I’m sure this topic will come back around next season when a Center or QB gets blown up out of the victory formation.

Wait, who hired Greg Schiano?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

FIRE EBERFLUS

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Chargers should definitely go right back to the Rams DC well.
https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1744733849626767589?s=20

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

John Brown posted:

Nah, if zero shenanigans are allowed via victory formation then the league needs to just change the rules and automatically bleed the clock once the losing team can't mathematically prevent a kneel down ending

Even better, ban the kneel down or any other sort of purposeful give up play, and force teams to run the ball if they want to end the game, so that a real play is actually happening and this scenario can't happen again

Otherwise, accept that weird edge cases like this one are gonna tempt players or coaches to do something wacky

The defenses should also gently caress with the victory formation if a situation allows it for any reason, who gives a poo poo about the sanctity of the dumbest loophole play in the game

The337th fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jan 9, 2024

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Diva Cupcake posted:

Chargers should definitely go right back to the Rams DC well.
https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1744733849626767589?s=20

Raheem Morris would be a very Spanos style hire.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

John Brown posted:

This continues to be the most absurd logic. As if running a normal play from kneel formation now means its ok to injure offensive players and its the offensive players faults. Is it now OK to intentionally injure players on a regular play?

If you can't sit back and enjoy the sheer pettiness of that play, then you don't have a true rival in this sport and it means you aren't having as much fun as you could be having.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

really queer Christmas posted:

This continues to be the most absurd logic. As if running a normal play from kneel formation now means its ok to injure offensive players and its the offensive players faults. Is it now OK to intentionally injure players on a regular play?

If you can't sit back and enjoy the sheer pettiness of that play, then you don't have a true rival in this sport and it means you aren't having as much fun as you could be having.

So it is okay for the offense to do petty bullshit but it isn't okay for the defense to respond in kind?

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Hunt11 posted:

So it is okay for the offense to do petty bullshit but it isn't okay for the defense to respond in kind?

Both should be petty until the league mandates otherwise for this stupid fake play that people are clutching pearls over

If the defense is so asleep on their feet that it's this incredible danger to them when something unexpected happens, then that sounds definitively too unsafe to justify the continuing existence of

If it's just too rude then I guess the league better cook up an unsportsmanlike penalty for it

Until it changes to the contrary, whining about a football play actually being a football play is incredibly stupid

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Here's the thing about football: you can't just play passively as a lineman, either a play is all out or not, so both teams need to be on the same page about whether this play is 'real' or not because otherwise you get one side obliterating the other. The point of kneeling it out is to remove the need for linemen to risk injuring themselves on a pointless play.

The best solution is probably to say that the coaches can agree to shake hands and end the game at any point after the 2 min warning and everyone can just go home instead.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Vando posted:

Here's the thing about football: you can't just play passively as a lineman, either a play is all out or not, so both teams need to be on the same page about whether this play is 'real' or not because otherwise you get one side obliterating the other. The point of kneeling it out is to remove the need for linemen to risk injuring themselves on a pointless play.

Then the play should be banned for its inherently unbalanced danger

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

The337th posted:

Then the play should be banned for its inherently unbalanced danger

I'd bet it saves more injuries from not running regular plays than it would cause by catching one side out, problem is it looks real bad when it happens and the risk is elevated enough that people get pissed.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Vando posted:

I'd bet it saves more injuries from not running regular plays than it would cause by catching one side out, problem is it looks real bad when it happens and the risk is elevated enough that people get pissed.

Then they should make it a penalty to do football during the football play

Or automatically bleed the clock

Or we could continue to pretend that gentleman's agreement plays make any kind of sense in a sport that is inherently violent and dangerous at all times, and be scandalized when a play happens during a play

If it's so unreasonably dangerous then it needs to change in the rulebook, any other argument is just an excuse for people who are desperate to avoid admitting how much the rudeness of the play is what actually upset them

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

It wouldn't have been a problem if Allen had actually let his players try to get Jamaal his one TD of the season. They ran it out of victory formation so Allen wouldn't realize what was happening and call a timeout.

This is 100% on Dennis Allen in multiple ways.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

SKULL.GIF posted:

It wouldn't have been a problem if Allen had actually let his players try to get Jamaal his one TD of the season. They ran it out of victory formation so Allen wouldn't realize what was happening and call a timeout.

This is 100% on Dennis Allen in multiple ways.

It's also his fault a second time for his team feeling like they can just go out there and trick their own coach, no problem

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

It's only the leagues fault for this being how this dumb play works

If it bothered you and you don't want to see it again, then it should be taken out of the hands of players needing to have the wisdom to not introduce a small increment of injury risk when they've just went through hours of physical violence already

Counting on coaches to neither participate in, or even allow this to happen is also stupid when a coach just demonstrated the flaw in that plan

The players ran an entirely legal play by all rules of the game and until that changes the people who maintain the rulebook only have themselves to blame

E: gonna emphasize this again because it's so obvious, but gentleman's agreements for safety in the ridiculously violent contact sport is neglectfully reckless and stupid if safety is really what people want

The337th fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jan 9, 2024

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

R.D. Mangles posted:

FIRE EBERFLUS

I’m saying this. I want this.

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:
is tff really getting into an argument about "playing the game the right way"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

It’s lame that so few coaches have been fired.

Logan’s run this thing. Everyone over 40 is fired except Harbaugh and Payton.

I want the head coaches of the league to be full of OCs who at one point stood next to McVay or Shanahan.