Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

SelenicMartian posted:

What else could they add? Incense? Epaulettes? Butt plugs?

Chakras, corruption tracks, biorhythms, Lord of the Rings crossovers...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012
Footwear should become a slot rather than a keyword, but the real answer is hats. They don't even need to do anything, I just want to blast some eldritch horrors in style.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

This is great for practicing your Pitchfork technique. I'm sure it has other uses too.

My first thought for this one went to Nathaniel Cho for thematic reasons, then I realized he fights with events so he wouldn't benefit from it at all. So, how about Lily Chen? It seems great for ensuring the first Butterfly Sword hit gets through (I was lukewarm on them back when I first played her because doing more tests means more bad tokens, but I haven't really tried them properly) and getting around the auto-fail is good value in general.

In any case, damage boosts are always worth a look and I think this is really solid for anyone who can meet its condition consistently.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

....Measurehead, is that you?

My first thought was Mark Harrigan - they can draw a card off the self damage, and are always looking for more ways to deal big hits.

My second thought is jfc, it doesn't work on guns because they are Firearms rather than Ranged. Why do the devs hate guns.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Kalko posted:

This is great for practicing your Pitchfork technique. I'm sure it has other uses too.

My first thought for this one went to Nathaniel Cho for thematic reasons, then I realized he fights with events so he wouldn't benefit from it at all. So, how about Lily Chen? It seems great for ensuring the first Butterfly Sword hit gets through (I was lukewarm on them back when I first played her because doing more tests means more bad tokens, but I haven't really tried them properly) and getting around the auto-fail is good value in general.

In any case, damage boosts are always worth a look and I think this is really solid for anyone who can meet its condition consistently.

Both great Hank cards. Survival Technique is awesome for giving him back his pitchfork or boosting you on location tests which he'll be great at with his relatively balanced statline.

Strong-Armed can be used to easily get him down to his second form whenever you want.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Does investigating count as a skill test on a location?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

sirtommygunn posted:

Does investigating count as a skill test on a location?

Not unless it’s printed on a card for some unique effect.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Science traited so Kate has something out of class to get with her deckbuilding at least. Could pick up map the area, if you have enough people taking tests in a location then an action to put that down a couple times could be worth it, sometimes. Like once or twice in a couple big clue areas if you're deathballing up and then again in a boss location for example.

Anyone with Guardian and survivor access can pick up breach the door for similar reasons, shredding the shroud on multiple locations. Skeleton Key for rogue/survivors as well I guess? Picking it up as a fast action.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Quick list of the cards Survival Technique can retrieve:

Ambush
Barricade (both levels)
Breach the Door
Hiding Spot
Lure (both levels)
Makeshift Trap
Map the Area
Open Gate
Pitchfork
Shortcut
Shrine of the Moirai
Snare Trap
The Skeleton Key
Under Surveillance

Skeleton Key is real nice (though I’ve always felt that card was better than most people give it credit for), and being able to recycle Barricades and Breach the Doors can be handy. Shrine of the Moirai could be particularly interesting, though Survivors could already recur it without too much issue anyway.

Strong-Armed seems nice for Silas - he can commit it, reroll the token with it if he doesn’t like it, then return it to hand. He doesn’t get the +1 damage from it that way though.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Parallel Ashcan Pete is apparently stupid strong with Hiding Spot since you can just get it back when it would be discarded. Survival Technique would let you also pick it up before you move so you basically never lose it which is insanely strong.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Picking up shortcut seems amazing in multiplayer. People use it, use it during the upkeep phase, you take it back and play it again. Kate, Minh, Darrell and Charlie could all try this.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

SelenicMartian posted:

What else could they add? Incense? Epaulettes? Butt plugs?

Song stuck in your head

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Nebrilos posted:

Song stuck in your head
There are so many musician and performer characters, FFG could easily justify a campaign about an earworm taking over the globe. The time frame is right for jukeboxes and mafia, too.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Finally got to play Arkham again. The past two scenarios of Forgotten Age, Boundary Beyond and Heart of the Elders A, were pretty rocky for us.

We didn’t find any paths in BB and HOTE A took us three attempts, with the first one being going quite badly.

By contrast, HOTE B was smooth sailing! This was really just pure luck. We all drew our key cards early (as a flex mystic I had all three of my major function spells online turn 3 with sign magick!) and though we have been racking up vengeance like mad, we were able to neutralize the scary vengeance enemies just by virtue of having the right cards (storm of spirits and flamethrower did a lot of work this scenario.) The harbinger is already dead, too- we put all our energy into killing him in Boundary Beyond when it became clear victory was out of reach.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

There doesn't seem to be much downside with these new masks apart from the slot itself. This one will replenish when you place doom onto an agenda that doesn't have any, and it gives two uses instead of one like the others.

Great flavour, except you'd think it would discard the book too. Its effect is kind of odd; it tests Combat, doesn't boost damage, and it gives you an auto-evade or an ability use. It's action compression, but not as we know it.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Kalko posted:

There doesn't seem to be much downside with these new masks apart from the slot itself. This one will replenish when you place doom onto an agenda that doesn't have any, and it gives two uses instead of one like the others.

Great flavour, except you'd think it would discard the book too. Its effect is kind of odd; it tests Combat, doesn't boost damage, and it gives you an auto-evade or an ability use. It's action compression, but not as we know it.

The mask would also replenish when you play an Arcane Initiate, right?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Throw the book at them would still deal 1 damage, right?

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Batterypowered7 posted:

The mask would also replenish when you play an Arcane Initiate, right?

Yep.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Throw the book at them would still deal 1 damage, right?

Yep.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
Would anyone be interested in participating in a one-shot over TTS? Or, is this the wrong place to ask that?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Wow the cat mask is great for our beleaguered phone operator

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

The book one might encourage people to play books who don’t normally. Roland, Joe, and definitely the doctor because it can trigger off Grey’s Anatomy. Plus, if you hit an ally, that only does one damage.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Seems Wolf Mask was also revealed yesterday. I know it had already been mostly spoiled but here it is officially:

Honestly one of the strongest cards so far. A free unexpected courage every time you engage an enemy is seriously strong. It's a big help to 4 Combat fighters but I don't see why any fighter who can take it wouldn't.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault

Nephthys posted:

Seems Wolf Mask was also revealed yesterday. I know it had already been mostly spoiled but here it is officially:

Honestly one of the strongest cards so far. A free unexpected courage every time you engage an enemy is seriously strong. It's a big help to 4 Combat fighters but I don't see why any fighter who can take it wouldn't.
The effect triggers "when you engage an enemy"
Does that mean it doesn't work unless you use the engage action?
As in, does it trigger if you step on a location with an unengaged, not aloof enemy and they engage you or you draw an enemy from the encounter deck and they spawn ontop of you?

Or am I reading into this too much?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
It works whenever an enemy gets engaged with you.

It doesn't work on Massive enemies, because they are "considered to be engaged", rather than actually engaged.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Orange Devil posted:

It doesn't work on Massive enemies, because they are "considered to be engaged", rather than actually engaged.

One of the least intuitive rules in the game.

Wolf Mask probably leaves your deck once your weapons start giving +2 bonuses. I don't want it taking up a card draw plus action later, I don't think.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault

Orange Devil posted:

Nice thanks for clarifying

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

I've got access to a pretty good scanner and printer at work. What are some staples that I might want more than two (or even four) copies of if I'm playing with more than one other person? I printed some copies of Shortcut, Guts, and Unexpected Courage and wanted to hear your suggestions for others I could do the same with.

E:

The intention being to just slip them in front of a Knife or something in a sleeve.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Batterypowered7 posted:

I've got access to a pretty good scanner and printer at work. What are some staples that I might want more than two (or even four) copies of if I'm playing with more than one other person? I printed some copies of Shortcut, Guts, and Unexpected Courage and wanted to hear your suggestions for others I could do the same with.

E:

The intention being to just slip them in front of a Knife or something in a sleeve.

If your collection is pretty basic, you will potentially want some Shrivellings.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Deduction and vicious blow potentially if you're going to have 3 or 4 people and 2 of them want to play a clue getter who has access to the former or fighters who have access to the latter, they're just pretty good. Some of the generically good economy cards as well, Faustian Bargain and Crack the Case are very good for any character that can access them.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Nephthys posted:

This feels like a better version of bangle of jinxes in every way.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Anonymous Robot posted:

If your collection is pretty basic, you will potentially want some Shrivellings.

I've got every investigator expansion released in the new format, the five investigator decks, and a revised core set.

thebardyspoon posted:

Deduction and vicious blow potentially if you're going to have 3 or 4 people and 2 of them want to play a clue getter who has access to the former or fighters who have access to the latter, they're just pretty good. Some of the generically good economy cards as well, Faustian Bargain and Crack the Case are very good for any character that can access them.

Cool!

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Batterypowered7 posted:

E:

Most "proxied" card in my playgroup is probably Faustian Bargain. I'm trying to remember what else we've had to proxy in the past but I think they've all been mentioned already. Since you have the "standalone investigators" (Stella, Winifred, etc.), you've already got 4 of a lot of the best staples like Deduction for example.

If you ever run curse/bless teams, having copies of Tempt Fate for everyone is pretty good.

My playgroup usually just remembers who has what permanent cards, but if you like having them physically, extra copies of Charisma is useful. If you have Return to TCU, Observed. If you don't have Return to Night of the Zealot, because it's like five hundred dollars on the secondary market, you might want to print out some of those cards if you feel it's worth having them, particularly imo Hot Streak (2) and Dynamite (2).

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Batterypowered7 posted:

E:

Scavenging
Schoffner's Catalogue
Deduction
Vicious Blow
Ward of Protection
Stand Together
Resourceful
Faustian Bargain

These are the cards I can offhand remember having to proxy the most when playing 4 players with 1 collection. Deduction and Vicious Blow not anymore since the investigator packs.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

The sleeved cards are from an FFG livestream. There's only one more spoiler left on the schedule, but with only two weeks until the investigator box hits the shelves we should start seeing the remaining cards from the set pretty soon as some stores get early stock.

Matchbox looks straight up good because it's slotless.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Very strange box, the 5 characters all seem pretty nifty, the mystic especially looks quite cool and different but as it is now, it's lacking a bit of oomph that all the other boxes had that made me go "well I can't possibly not have that card" about at least a few cards in them. Feels like parley cards were a lot of the previews but I guess with that they're paying for having only made like, 6 before now and then making a parley investigator. Unless the unspoilered cards are absolutely bananas I feel pretty safe leaving this one for a little while cause there's a whole lot of games coming out in February that are gonna take up my budget and the box apparently got delayed into Feb. I'd be more interested in the Campaign box but well, with how tough scheduling games gets with my group we probably weren't gonna play it anytime soon anyway.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

It looks like the set is delayed until February 16 per the Asmodee site, yeah.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

The silver moth seems like a fun way for Agnes to take a horror during the upkeep phase. Otherwise, it seems like it be less of a problem than indebted, because you can take antique collector.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Anonymous Robot posted:

It looks like the set is delayed until February 16 per the Asmodee site, yeah.

The Investigator box got delayed? If the Campaign box didn't, that means both will be released closer to each other than anticipated, which suits me fine. I'd wait to play the new investigators in the new campaign anyway.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

LifeLynx posted:

The Investigator box got delayed? If the Campaign box didn't, that means both will be released closer to each other than anticipated, which suits me fine. I'd wait to play the new investigators in the new campaign anyway.

Yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Kalko posted:

The sleeved cards are from an FFG livestream. There's only one more spoiler left on the schedule, but with only two weeks until the investigator box hits the shelves we should start seeing the remaining cards from the set pretty soon as some stores get early stock.

Matchbox looks straight up good because it's slotless.

Silver Moth either does next to nothing or can be very bad for you. Interesting sort of weakness.

Matchbox scans like really good to me even if you only combine it with Flashlights. Utterly nutty in Darrell. The automatic discard means that even though it's slotless it works with Scavenging. Yeah, card is extremely powerful.

Wait it says TURN? -1 shroud for the whole turn, even for another investigator? Card is insane wtf, I thought it was very good if it worked for just a single action.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jan 11, 2024