Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

NFC North: Helpful idiots, troubling shitheads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Headlong into the snow

I’m done for now, I think.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Sando had this in his athletic column and it's uh food for thought but over the last 2 years out of the top 32 by games started the only QBs statistically worse than fields at epa/pass are Kenny Pickett Davis Mills and Kris Wilson. Not, uh, great. Even if you throw out last year he still is in bottom third of league, like 27th last I looked.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

adaz posted:

Sando had this in his athletic column and it's uh food for thought but over the last 2 years out of the top 32 by games started the only QBs statistically worse than fields at epa/pass are Kenny Pickett Davis Mills and Kris Wilson. Not, uh, great. Even if you throw out last year he still is in bottom third of league, like 27th last I looked.

I don’t care about last season, statistically. The roster was the worst in football, Justin was throwing to practice squad dudes.

And frankly given the OC, and the fact that we only really added a WR1 and RT in a year, I can easily buy that his numbers aren’t reflective of his talent. The playcalling was such a rollercoaster, most of the time he only really got 10-20 pass attempts a game, with the occasional 40 attempt bubble screen death march

E- we have been bitching about Getsy for 2 years, and I am his #1 hater but he’s earned it. The week 18 gameplan was indistinguishable from the week 1 plan, which sucked back then too

GNU Order fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jan 9, 2024

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Getsyball is just Aaron Rodgersball and Rodgers hates throwing across the middle. Most QB’s, especially young ones, need easy completions across the middle to help with confidence. Compare Justin’s pass chart with Purdy’s for example and it’s night and day. 75% of his throws are outside the numbers and within 5 yards of the LOS, which is by design.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Justin isn’t playing Football, he’s playing Bears Football, which is much more difficult.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Harbaugh
Isn't
The
Savior

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Dont let the door Hit In The Butts, Suckas, on your way out
No, hopefully it HITS them on the way out

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The door HITS them on the way out

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Hmmm,
I
Think
Somebody needs a map

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Ho boy,
It's
Time for
Stafford

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Flus deserves a chance he somehow brought the team back from one of the worst starts i've seen.

Warren and Poles need to help him find a not garbage OC and go from there.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Danny LaFever posted:

Flus deserves a chance he somehow brought the team back from one of the worst starts i've seen.

He loving sucks as a coach and is a loser.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

R.D. Mangles posted:

He loving sucks as a coach and is a loser.

sounds like the perfect modern bears coach

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Danny LaFever posted:

It's actually the first month of the season that really bugs me. This team was not even remotely ready to take the field. They looked so incredibly unprepared that it left me wondering what the hell Eberflus was actually doing to get these guys coached up for the season.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Flus can't prepare a team, can't hire any coordinators, and could only call plays on defense once he got a guy so good they traded a second not to talk to him early.

What has he done to stay?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I am sorry but look at a picture of Matt Eberflus and tell me he is a coach.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
*posts a picture of a plane where Matt Eberflus isn't sitting in first class*

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

something surely was shady about the midseason firings. but the team did start improving after their departure.

so, you can look at this like eberflus learned some things and got rid of these people who were hampering the team. or you could look at it as if he hired them in the first place and that's a damning thing outright.

i don't know where i'm at here. good people do hire bad people sometimes. maybe something happened with them post-hire and they got distracted? also not sure if eberflus fired them, or someone with some sense above did it for him. in that case, eberflus should probably be gone, yea. it's all internal politics at that point.

the one thing i can say is getsy has not performed and, regardless of what you think of fields or poles or whatever, he has to go. that's the biggest addition by subtraction the bears need to do.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

R.D. Mangles posted:

I am sorry but look at a picture of Matt Eberflus and tell me he is a coach.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
At the top to specifically state my opinion, I'd fire Eberflus and take a chance with someone else.

I do think Flus, like got better at coaching in general. And I think he is pretty good at calling a defense.

However I generally think the most important skill for any coach, but especially a defensive coach, is your ability to find and hire talented coordinators.

And even without the nasty man doing nasty stuff, Alan Williams was utter trash at that poo poo. Even before the Bears got Sweat. after the first week where Flus was forced to call the defense on short notice, the Defense showed pretty decent improvement just off the strength of Flus calling the plays, vs Alan Williams just being utter trash. When Flus took over the DB's started like actually communicating so so so much better, and there were so so many fewer coverage busts(well busts that didn't occur just because the QB could sit and dance for hours in the pocket anyway). Outside of a couple of squabbles(tendency to fall back on ol' reliable cover 2 even when it's not working because the pass rush isn't getting home)

Alan Williams even off just the strength of the defense that he was calling and having the players not handling calls on the field properly, was an extremely bad hire. Ignoring his off the field poo poo.

And Getsy his most important hire. I have talked about so many times, but needless to say it was a bad hire.

I've pretty much accepted that Eberflus is coming back, he got the team to roughly around where I expected them to be(in the dumbest way possible) at the start of the year. I'd fire him, because context matters, but that doesn't seem to be in the cards

That dude better have a drat good explanation for how he hosed up the coordinator hires the first time and what he's learned and how the process is going to change or whatever.

Wollawolla
Jan 15, 2007

Are you gonna smash my skull and breathe my blood-mist?
I always felt that the Getsy hire was just a move to attempt to stick it to the Packers, because I'd never heard any other rumblings about him getting interest as a coordinator hire. It might have even backfired a bit if it was the catalyst that brought Tom Clements out of retirement.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Wollawolla posted:

I always felt that the Getsy hire was just a move to attempt to stick it to the Packers, because I'd never heard any other rumblings about him getting interest as a coordinator hire. It might have even backfired a bit if it was the catalyst that brought Tom Clements out of retirement.

Getsy was(still is sorta?) thought of extremely highly around the league.

Dude got head coaching interviews lol, before signing on as the Bears OC

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Adam Gase got two head coaching gigs off of hanging around with Peyton Manning for a few years at the end of his career.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
i want to see Brian Urlacher suck at coaching

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The Bears will hire former Northwestern coordinator Mike Bajakian.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

The Bears are in a position that could attract highly talented coaches. Or they can keep the mediocre-to-lovely coach they have now.

Here's what I am thinking, if they keep Eberflus and Fields, both become essentially lame ducks for next season, and so does Poles probably. They finish what, 9-8 maybe? Then they get rid of Poles and Eberflus, let Fields go, have a draft pick in the middle of the draft in an already weak QB class, here we go again.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

https://x.com/tom_on_here/status/1744720791810474336?s=20

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
I want to see Urlacher coaching on the sideline with long flowing 90's action movie protagonist hair

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Bears started the year getting their rear end kicked by the Packers and ended it the same way. They looked good against some horrendous teams at one point but it's still a bad team.

They blew 3 very winnable games (I believe they had >95% win probability in each), lost multiple coaches to secret HR firings, and had arguably the worst OC in the league.

Why would anyone want Eberflus back? He can't coach in-game and can't hire assistants. Why are we wasting our time on this poo poo?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Niwrad posted:

Bears started the year getting their rear end kicked by the Packers and ended it the same way. They looked good against some horrendous teams at one point but it's still a bad team.

They blew 3 very winnable games (I believe they had >95% win probability in each), lost multiple coaches to secret HR firings, and had arguably the worst OC in the league.

Why would anyone want Eberflus back? He can't coach in-game and can't hire assistants. Why are we wasting our time on this poo poo?

Because it’s the Bears and they always screw this poo poo up.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Niwrad posted:

Hey. :(

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

It is very funny that they still haven't announced or had "reported" to some form of media that Flus is back.

Usually if a coach isn't getting fired. Who people think should be fired. It comes out.

Like even that pace nagy year, it was reported that they were safe for another year before that comically embarrassing press conference over zoom.

I don't think this means he's getting fired, but the longer this takes I guess the more hope I have.

I legitimately think they are waiting to see if a coach they want hits the market and if it's possible for them to get them or something.

Because if him coming back was a fait accompli, it would have had to have been leaked by now.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jan 9, 2024

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I suspect they're at least backchanneling some alternatives before making an announcement. My theory is that they like Eberflus enough to retain him, but they also think there's a plausible upgrade out there, and they'd only be willing to cut bait with Eberflus if they get some assurance that there's mutual interest with one of their targets

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Apparently some dumbass Detroit account said the Lions should ban Stafford jerseys from the game this Sunday, but they did it by posting a big image saying "STAFFORD JERSEYS BANNED FROM FORD FIELD" and a bunch of people thought it was real.....

....including Kelly Stafford, who made a cry cry Instagram post about it.

Didn't miss that!

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

MJeff posted:

Apparently some dumbass Detroit account said the Lions should ban Stafford jerseys from the game this Sunday, but they did it by posting a big image saying "STAFFORD JERSEYS BANNED FROM FORD FIELD" and a bunch of people thought it was real.....

....including Kelly Stafford, who made a cry cry Instagram post about it.

Didn't miss that!

God she's so dumb

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/ChaseDaniel/status/1744825353795965179

Edit:

lmao

https://twitter.com/MorePerfectUS/status/1744792825894768785

there has never been a coach more gone from college.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

oh yeah he's done