Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

redshirt posted:

So what's the end game with the enshitification of all the streaming services? They start to merge? Is that already happening with Prime? I see how they can act like a portal to other subscription services.

The fact NBC is choosing to stream an NFL playoff game instead of airing it on NBC as usual galls me. And even though its only 6$ a month for Peacock, I sure as heck ain't signing up.

Wonder what the NFL thinks of this. NFL games last year were something crazy like 97 of the top 100 most watched programming. And I can guarantee viewership for that Peacock only playoff game will be a faaaaar cry from tv ratings.

There's no plan other than to do whatever it takes to juice up those quarterlies and get that bonus. "End game" lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

bagmonkey posted:

Lol, even worse for me, I worked for a mortgage lender and did my loan through them and they still sold it off to Mr Cooper while I was working there!!! I can personally confirm the mortgage industry is mostly a bunch of people who failed in other areas duct taped together

Loan officers are the weirdest thing to me. They're sales people, who get paid specific commission on closing a loan, but they're supposed to make sure that the customer can afford the loan. So if they did their job correctly, they would lose money. :psyduck:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The loan underwriters I guess verify that you can actually pay it

Though their motivations are also corrupted

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Vampire Panties posted:

Loan officers are the weirdest thing to me. They're sales people, who get paid specific commission on closing a loan, but they're supposed to make sure that the customer can afford the loan. So if they did their job correctly, they would lose money. :psyduck:

do you seriously not know about interest

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Vampire Panties posted:

And now you know why the 2008 crash happened

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

cat botherer posted:

And now you know why the 2008 crash happened

I can remember an interview from a loan officer in 2009 like, "Yeah we all knew they were scam-rear end loans but if we didn't sell them people would go down the street and buy them from our competitors. Whatcanyado?"

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.

bagmonkey posted:

Lol, even worse for me, I worked for a mortgage lender and did my loan through them and they still sold it off to Mr Cooper while I was working there!!! I can personally confirm the mortgage industry is mostly a bunch of people who failed in other areas duct taped together

haha. My parent's business was the original lender. Talked to my step dad last weekend and he says "oh Mr Cooper bought your loan? they got all your data now, it's bad. just freeze your credit and dont think about it"

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
Capitalism really makes you feel alive! Like a jelly fish swimming in the dark, knowing turtles, sharks, and lots of fish are out there...somewhere...and they know your social security number. So alive! For now.

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)
make sure you freeze your credit with all 3 credit companies too. a buddy of mine had their poo poo taken from mr cooper and they froze it through I think equifax, and got a letter from CapitalOne saying they needed a copy of their ID to finish out their new credit card. CapitalOne said to freeze with all three, so they got on the phone and transunion said oh yeah we have a fraud alert on your account for the next 2 years, but it wasnt frozen what can you do.

gotta love it.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Lobsterboy posted:

make sure you freeze your credit with all 3 credit companies too. a buddy of mine had their poo poo taken from mr cooper and they froze it through I think equifax, and got a letter from CapitalOne saying they needed a copy of their ID to finish out their new credit card. CapitalOne said to freeze with all three, so they got on the phone and transunion said oh yeah we have a fraud alert on your account for the next 2 years, but it wasnt frozen what can you do.

Currently all three of those agencies companies (lol) are getting hammered. I've been trying all day to get through and I'm still on the 1st of 3.

Also, if I'm understanding the process correctly (because I now have no choice but to become an expert on this overnight) that fraud alert is the reason they contacted your buddy and asked for ID. Otherwise they would have just issued the credit card to whomever was asking for it.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jan 9, 2024

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Lobsterboy posted:

gotta love it.

Can you translate this into european

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

Biplane posted:

united states banks set up three competing non-government, for-profit corporations who assess every single human in the united states' credit-worthiness. They do this for everyone, without our permission, starting from birth.

The only way we can keep people from borrowing money in our name is to kindly ask these three separate corporations to please stop giving our "credit scores" to lenders when they ask the corporations about our credit-worthiness.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

shazbot posted:

haha. My parent's business was the original lender. Talked to my step dad last weekend and he says "oh Mr Cooper bought your loan? they got all your data now, it's bad. just freeze your credit and dont think about it"

yeah I'm doing some last minute check ups on a few things to make sure I won't need to use my credit before I lock it

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Also your credit score can just randomly change even if nothing fraudulent is happening and nothing is different about your amount of debt or living situation.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
If we cannot successfully get them to stop giving "credit scores" to lenders, we are responsible for any loans taken out in our name because we shouldn't have neglected to navigate the baffling process of "turning off" our credit scores at three different companies, and we should have known that our information was stolen or purchased from any of the hundreds of companies and agencies that we have to give it to in order to work, buy, sell, or live in our society.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Salt Fish posted:

State farm stopped sending me insurance cards, now they send a physical letter saying to log into your app and optionally print the insurance card. I guess this is to save paper except lol, they MAILED ME A NOTICE SAYING TO PRINT IT!!!

Just kidding I know its to make you install the app so they can track you better.

yeah my insurance company stopped with cards ages ago, so the few times I've needed my insurance info to give to a cop, it's been a bit of an anxious moment logging into my insurance website on my phone. Sure I have is downloaded as a pdf, but it expires every 6 loving months.

The last time it happened was a fender bender, and the woman I'd bumped stood outside my car anxiously staring at me the entire time I was pulling the info up and people were gathering around asking her if she needed any help with the situation :psyduck: All because I couldn't immediately hand her my insurance info, and bc I was just sitting in my car bc it was cold, jfc. Once they saw I was giving her my info, everyone left, but people seriously thought I was just trying to bail and it kinda hosed me up bc like...whoah guys I don't need to be menaced about a fender bender.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Anyway I forsee this happening a lot more, and people getting into fights over it, with how weird the vibe got for just a fender bender, people are gonna get hella weird about this poo poo

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
When I get an email from Geico about new insurance cards I go to the web site and click a button for them to mail to me.

I assume that the police want to touch my filthy phone about as much as I want them to rummage through my nudes.

withak fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 9, 2024

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Edit: quote isn't edit

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Dip Viscous posted:

Also your credit score can just randomly change even if nothing fraudulent is happening and nothing is different about your amount of debt or living situation.

And you can’t plan for or predict what a given action will do

And these self appointed arbiters of our honor and social credit just let our data fly out the door and nobody can or will hold them accountable

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

withak posted:

When I get an email from Geico about new insurance cards I go to the web site and click a button for them to mail to me.

I assume that the police want to touch my filthy phone about as much as I want them to rummage through my nudes.

Sounds nice! We don't get those emails. Our insurance agent had a legit office, which is why we went with him, but he retired last year and they transferred us to a new guy, and didn't say poo poo. We only found out by checking the website for our updated cards...

Probably switching insurance soon, basically

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Greg12 posted:

united states banks set up three competing non-government, for-profit corporations who assess every single human in the united states' credit-worthiness. They do this for everyone, without our permission, starting from birth.

The only way we can keep people from borrowing money in our name is to kindly ask these three separate corporations to please stop giving our "credit scores" to lenders when they ask the corporations about our credit-worthiness.

Seems like a bad system

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)

wash bucket posted:

Currently all three of those agencies companies (lol) are getting hammered. I've been trying all day to get through and I'm still on the 1st of 3.

Also, if I'm understanding the process correctly (because I now have no choice but to become an expert on this overnight) that fraud alert is the reason they contacted your buddy and asked for ID. Otherwise they would have just issued the credit card to whomever was asking for it.

oh yeah the ID request was only because of the fraud alert, but I'm just fascinated that there was a fraud alert and instead of the credit bureau stopping the application process, they just gave out the information anyways and said 'by the way this might be fraud!'
CapitalOne at least tried to check, which is nice of them.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Biplane posted:

Seems like a bad system

On the contrary, it's very profitable. Any time a financial institution's data gets stolen they have to do this huge remediation which usually includes buying all their customers multiple years of identity theft protection... from one of those three companies.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Biplane posted:

Every article panicking about China's "social credit" system is not hyperbolic, they just got the country wrong.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Rochallor posted:

Every article panicking about China's "social credit" system is not hyperbolic, they just got the country wrong.

social credit w capitalist characteristics

I had to do the 3-freeze because people kept opening up bank accounts, store credit cards, etc in my name (once your SSN is out it's out bitch, good luck catching all the fraudulent activity) and in the process I accidentally signed up with like some sorta bullshit account with one of them which led to spam-filter-proof messages every single loving day asking if I wanted to take out a loan

In retrospect I should have done it way earlier instead of just letting them put a 2-year alert on everything after which the fraudulent activity immediately resumed lol. Lucky nothing really happened

gently caress!

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Monkey Fracas posted:

(once your SSN is out it's out bitch, good luck catching all the fraudulent activity)

The extra kick in the teeth in my case is my info got leaked by a company I haven't had any business with for years. But they still kept all my poo poo on file indefinitely. Presumably the same is true for every other financial institution I've been forced to do business with.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

lol just got a notice from Mr Cooper on a mortgage I closed over three years ago through refinancing that my data was compromised. Their compensation was a year of credit monitoring for a SINGLE bureau :thumbsup:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Y'all have identities worth being stolen? :confused:

Usually it's me who has to be doing the stealing

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Is it easy getting credit cards and loans in the US when your credit is bad? Asking for a friend

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Just scheduled a 2nd interview for a job... 3 months after I applied, and one and a half months after the first interview

This job market gets shittier every day :smith:

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Biplane posted:

Is it easy getting credit cards and loans in the US when your credit is bad? Asking for a friend

There is a huge sub prime consumer credit crisis right now so yes it’s very easy

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Biplane posted:

Yeah just buy the social security number of someone with good credit. There's lots of them out on the market lately.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

It's often easier to get loans and credit cards with a worse (but not completely shot) credit score, because a good credit score means you pay off your debt on time and they don't get to charge you interest

The term that credit card companies use for someone who always pays off their card on time before being charged interest is literally "Deadbeat"

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 9, 2024

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

drat that's crazy. Do I order ssn's online or is there like a guy I have to talk to somewhere. I mean my friend has to talk to

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Biplane posted:

drat that's crazy. Do I order ssn's online or is there like a guy I have to talk to somewhere. I mean my friend has to talk to

Well first you need to install Tor...

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

deep dish peat moss posted:

Just scheduled a 2nd interview for a job... 3 months after I applied, and one and a half months after the first interview

This job market gets shittier every day :smith:

:haibrow: I got a call back today after being ghosted from an interview the recruiter insisted I had to take on December 31st. The recruiter called and said that they wanted to do the technical interview today, and that if I asked to reschedule they would interview other candidates. I passed - who in the everloving gently caress is calling someone Tuesday morning to interview Tuesday afternoon for a position migrating a six thousand seat call center? :dafuq:

Recruiters are the shittiest thing imaginable, adding an extra human step to every hire-transaction is why nobody can get a loving job :colbert:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

lmao, that reminds me of this email I got at 3:23PM on November 22nd that I saved for posterity because lol

Those were the only available times on the only available date

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Biplane posted:

What was the joke

Diogenes was an Athenian aristocrat and philosopher who gave away his property, went barefoot, and lived in a wine barrel because he hated the slavery and hypocrisy of his class and, unlike most people, actually did something about it. He would then go around haranguing other Athenian aristocrats about how evil and disgusting their lifestyles were and nobody could call him a hypocrite because he really was that hardcore.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jan 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Woolie Wool posted:

Diogenes was an Athenian aristocrat and philosopher who gave away his property, went barefoot, and lived in a wine barrel because he hated the slavery and hypocrisy of his class and, unlike most people, actually did something about it. He would then go around haranguing other Athenian aristocrats about how evil and disgusting their lifestyles were and nobody could call him a hypocrite because he really was that hardcore.

Stuff rules, what a moron.