Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
i watched the folding ideas gold video patreon draft. its pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

CelticPredator posted:

I don’t think it’s even close. Fnaf is mostly children who love it and maybe early early 20’s. I really doubt some 23 year old office worker is gonna chat up the fnaf lore of shaggy killer man to a 55 year old cranky man named Stanley Hudson

I mean I'm 30 and I know most of the lore from watching Markiplier videos years back and my coworker is a 50 something dad who plays the games and reads up on the lore because his son is into it. Maybe we're not the target audience but it's a point of conversation on boring days.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

The last show most people in my office were up to date on and talking about weekly was The Walking Dead, but slowly more and more people tapped out until it was just 2 older people every monday talking about what happened in the main show and the first spinoff.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I bet it used to be Rick & Morty.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

mycophobia posted:

i watched the folding ideas gold video patreon draft. its pretty good

I was watching some old videos it's funny how they used to he 40 minutes about how bad a film is, and not 2+ hours on grafters, scams and the people who get stuck in them.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Rockit posted:

*Thinks deeply* Good lord is loving FNAF the closet thing then?

The mystery box never went away, it just got compartmentalized on streaming platforms. Every action/adventure/mystery/thriller show has to wheel a new mystery box out at the start of each season, and then another number on the combination slowly gets solved as a last-minute hook on the episode to make you want to watch the next one immediately. The addictive potato chip bag formula. Then at the very end of the season they have to open the mystery box and there's another mystery box inside woooo will this one get solved? Hopefully the series gets renewed so you can find out!!!

You are hitting at something with FNAF though. Part of that mystery box addiction is The Lore, and you can see that The Lore poo poo unwind itself in every modern TV show and movie franchise. It gets especially bad when you're seeing some adaption of an old classic that has to staple Lore onto it just so it has more mystery hooks to hang poo poo on.

CelticPredator posted:

But im also not even sure what’s airing right now. Very out of the loop tv wise. Stranger things 4 was pretty big but idk how big irl at offices.

Stranger Things S4 ending on the cliffhanger it did was kind of hype, and they tried to add to the hype by holding back the last 2 episodes initially. I feel like Stranger Things would've had a lot more ongoing buzz if it didn't do full season drops for S3 and S4. Dropping a whole series to binge in a weekend really feels unsustainable for streaming now that the little TV pond is a giant swamp of #Content, but granted that situation has rapidly evolved around and over ST between seasons. I wouldn't be shocked if Season 5 drops in chunks or even 1 episode weekly to really draw the energy out.

Besides that... I don't know. People were really hooked on Wednesday for a few weeks. The mystery in that was the most addictive part, but again, it all dropped at once so all the energy evaporated immediately.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jan 9, 2024

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CelticPredator posted:

If I recall this creep was disgusting creep Harry Knowles. Famous for the blade 2 review, pooping his diaper at film screenings and groping women also at said screenings

Man, the heyday of Knowles as this "aw gee, he's just this hapless guy who loves movies and doesn't know how much the studios are using him" sure was wild. And by wild I mean irritating.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Jimbot posted:

The Crichton film is very good and Yul Brynner is incredible in it. You'll see why Schwarzenegger drew a ton of inspiration from it.

The weird thing is that the West World tv show draws a whole hell of a lot more of the Crichton film's sequel, Futureworld.
(Which to no surprise was kind of dog poo poo.)

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Nuns with Guns posted:

You are hitting at something with FNAF though. Part of that mystery box addiction is The Lore, and you can see that The Lore poo poo unwind itself in every modern TV show and movie franchise. It gets especially bad when you're seeing some adaption of an old classic that has to staple Lore onto it just so it has more mystery hooks to hang poo poo on.

The amazon lotr show was horrific for this.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Nuns with Guns posted:

Besides that... I don't know. People were really hooked on Wednesday for a few weeks. The mystery in that was the most addictive part, but again, it all dropped at once so all the energy evaporated immediately.

You'd better take that back before someone accuses you of liking a show as long as you can make a watch party out of it.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

The Saddest Rhino posted:

hey remember Heroes

yes

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

repiv posted:

also everyone learned their lesson that mystery box shows suck and aren't worth it

maybe the kids who never saw lost will repeat our mistake

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I feel like a lot of watercooler talk died out because steaming services tend towards shorter seasons and have a habit of renewing nothing but the absolute smash hits. You can't get invested in a mystery if there's only eight episodes and then it's taken out back and shot in the head.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Fil5000 posted:

I feel like a lot of watercooler talk died out because steaming services tend towards shorter seasons and have a habit of renewing nothing but the absolute smash hits. You can't get invested in a mystery if there's only eight episodes and then it's taken out back and shot in the head.

there's also so much option fatigue and niches and streaming services these days that most watercooler talk is like "you hear about x show?" "yeah. how is it?" "it's pretty good." "ok. I'm watching y show." "oh I've never heard of it." "it's on Streaming Service." "oh I don't have that one." "yeah, it's alright. you ever watch LOST? It's a lot like LOST. But it takes place during World War 2" "oh that sounds cool." (isn't interested)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Also if they release the entire season at once and some people watch the entire thing overnight and others don't then a lot of the water cool chatter is going to be people shouting "NO SPOILERS!"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Also if they release the entire season at once and some people watch the entire thing overnight and others don't then a lot of the water cool chatter is going to be people shouting "NO SPOILERS!"

So basically Stranger Things.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Happy Landfill posted:

Let me tell you about Homestuck

I think Homestuck is a different lesson because the solution at the centre of the box largely made sense within the universe set up, but what everyone wanted was a big climatic battle that would utilise all the characters and experiences that they'd had over the story.

Which kind of happened but off screen. A proper climax would have taken at least several months to execute and Hussey was clearly burnt out by then.

Homestuck also didn't burn its fans that hard as there's many many Homestuck but better spin off projects. It's not like there's many Walking Dead or Game of Thrones (excepting games that started development before the final season) style poo poo on the level of Undertale, The Locked Tomb series or even the unofficial/official sequel slash extended universe projects.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jan 9, 2024

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rockit posted:

Twitter is a harassment machine filled with bad actors. You can point out how it's a stupid place to demand accountability while agreeing the targets were shitheads/

Two seperate dramas.

We're mainly discussing how Lawhead tried to account for kotaku's lovely handling of their trauma by using lovely hellsite twitter to bitch about and how journalist acted like she was a unique irrational traumatized monster for inadvertently making each other twitter main characters.

They indeed hosed up but in only the same way Ellis, Contra, and the journalist have hosed up.
hey this got buried so to be clear what happened was lawhead was lied to and manipulated by kotaku staff and had information published she did not want published about sexual harassment/assault she and others received, and when she tried to get kotaku to take it down she was treated as a gamergater and every single game journalist talked about the Harassment They Were Receiving because people were going 'please take it down,' and then it was taken down and literally nothing bad happened because it was not actually gamergate 2.0

like you had gita jackson saying that taking it down would literally prove gamergate right, it was loving insane and proves those ghouls have turned gamergate into a shield against literally any criticism, and also rockit's posts are barely comprehensible but i dont think they're fully unpacking how dogshit kotaku et. all were being during that drama

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nuebot posted:

The best part of FNAF is when the guy who created it was like "this series is done" and everyone thought the final game was poo poo so he made a new game that was all sci-fi and poo poo but also a prequel to the original game somehow and also revealed that the seemingly random serial killer from the original game was also a super genius robot designer who just built child killing robots designed to kill children and eat their ghosts or some poo poo. And then some time after that someone wrote an official and apparently canonical five nights at freddys mpreg story.
the best part of fnaf is when i personally made the creator quit

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Fil5000 posted:

I had to do googling after this post to remember the name Jupiter's Legacy, a random Netflix attempt at both a superhero show and a mystery box that got exactly eight episodes before being taken out back. One of my friends was really really into the show and tried to get everyone to tune in and watch it on the first week but largely we didn't and it turned out to be canceled within the first month so...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

for some reason jupiter's legacy got an anime spinoff relatively recently

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

It is called x.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mark Millar has fumbled so hard at his attempts to jump from comic book guy to media people actually engage with guy (which I say as a comic book reader) it's heartwarming to see because he's long been known as a tool. It even looked like he might hop on the 'wokes are ruining comics' train things had gotten so bad but he took a swipe at one of the more beloved creators today in Gail Simone and tried to hype a book about how said wokes were ruining comics and how it was The Greatest Threat To The Industry but he did a furious back peddle of "uh, oh, no dawg, I meant a completely unrelated book about the dangers the comic book industry is facing and no I won't tell you which one" when everybody but the tiny of minority of assholes he was planning on catering to took umbrage.

Good times. :allears:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

Mark Millar has fumbled so hard at his attempts to jump from comic book guy to media people actually engage with guy (which I say as a comic book reader) it's heartwarming to see because he's long been known as a tool. It even looked like he might hop on the 'wokes are ruining comics' train things had gotten so bad but he took a swipe at one of the more beloved creators today in Gail Simone and tried to hype a book about how said wokes were ruining comics and how it was The Greatest Threat To The Industry but he did a furious back peddle of "uh, oh, no dawg, I meant a completely unrelated book about the dangers the comic book industry is facing and no I won't tell you which one" when everybody but the tiny of minority of assholes he was planning on catering to took umbrage.

Good times. :allears:

He also tried to ride the anti-Snyder wave by claiming that he was so traumatized by the mean Superman in Man of Steel that he wrote a book called Huck about a nice Superman. This was like a year and a half after he wrote Jupiter’s Legacy where the Superman analogue in that comic gets his face lasered off by his own son, so not sure how he wasn’t prepared for the extreme darkness of a PG Hollywood movie.

The dude is nothing if not a shameless grifter who will hitch his wagon to any horse he thinks will make him a bit more money/fame, it’s doubtful he has any genuine beliefs at all.

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

I can't see us not falling for mystery box shows again. As a species we don't have it in us not to fall for them, it will happen again I'm sure.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Flying Zamboni posted:

Barely but I do remember the 2007 Nissan Rogue.

I will not allow the Nissan Versa!! to be disrespected like this

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m surprised that Warren Ellis had the good sense to gently caress off and disappear after dozens of women started documenting the decades of sexual abuse he had gotten away with since the 90s. I could easily see him coming back for a second act as an anti-cancel culture reactionary.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

bird. posted:

I can't see us not falling for mystery box shows again. As a species we don't have it in us not to fall for them, it will happen again I'm sure.

I do appreciate that the BSG reboot had a post-finale special/recap movie where they swapped perspectives and showed you everything that was in the mystery box straight up. The problem was that it turned out there was basically nothing in the box in the first place when they opened it up and yeah, “God did it” was their logic for most of the show.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Arivia posted:

I do appreciate that the BSG reboot had a post-finale special/recap movie where they swapped perspectives and showed you everything that was in the mystery box straight up. The problem was that it turned out there was basically nothing in the box in the first place when they opened it up and yeah, “God did it” was their logic for most of the show.

I would rather have a messy weird show that takes wild risks without knowing where it's heading than a show with an end point that it works out ahead of time and crawls to incrementally, because even if shows like Lost were totally honest about knowing what the end beats would be (I believe they did, given how hard they wrenched the direction of the story to end up with Jack dying on the forest floor next to the dog), they still have to improvise as characters develop and cast changes happen. Even Lost adjusted their initial plans to make room for Matthew Fox after he replaced Michael Keaton for the pilot and they realized they could keep him, supposedly.

Battlestar Galactica was a wild ride right up to the end, with the trade-off of having a weak conclusion that has to pull everything together. What other show would be brave enough to keep another battlestar around for half a season, on a show with the premise that there is only one battlestar left? I don't think they even waited for a season finale to blow it up--they just did it when it made sense for the story.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
well yeah the problem with that kind of storytelling is that even if you do a big reveal the whole thing is just a clumsy ex-post-facto infodump because none of it was actually planned beforehand. that's just how TV production kind of worked

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Runa posted:

People ITT coming to terms with the fact that people actually genuinely like the Shrek movies, a wildly popular franchise that also includes the Puss in Boots movies

shits wild i love it

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I AM GRANDO posted:

I’m surprised that Warren Ellis had the good sense to gently caress off and disappear after dozens of women started documenting the decades of sexual abuse he had gotten away with since the 90s. I could easily see him coming back for a second act as an anti-cancel culture reactionary.

Too hot for a potential comeback right now. If Ellis poked his head up again he'd be dragged within an inch of his life, especially as he never actually apologized for anything. Needs to wait a few years so we get the 'problematic favorite' retrospectives, unless he runs into money trouble.

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009
The good current mystery box show is Severance. But nobody will watch it because it's on Apple+.

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

Mappo posted:

The good current mystery box show is Severance. But nobody will watch it because it's on Apple+.

lol this is truee, i want to see it but i dont want to pay for apple+ and ive felt uncomfortable about pirating for a few years now (for security reasons not ip rights). so i will never see it

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
er. warren ellis hasnt stopped working lol.

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009

bird. posted:

lol this is truee, i want to see it but i dont want to pay for apple+ and ive felt uncomfortable about pirating for a few years now (for security reasons not ip rights). so i will never see it

Apple+ does have some good shows that were tempting enough for me to pick it up for a while. But I understand if everyone draws the line at a Apple streaming service. Plus, they make you rent the Peanuts movies they bought so gently caress them.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Plenty didn't, hell I see some still talking about him on the comics bluesky.

I wanna make the following observation about Pyrocinical's recent video about Lethal Company: It's one of his usual very through videos and its generally positive in his own way, but I find it hilarious that you can tell he did it because he was sick of playing on public servers so he attempted to explain nearly everything about the game, but also that nearly every streamer I've seen play around avoids nearly a third of what he suggests and ends up having very long game sessions where they easily get everything they want without cheats.

I mean you can play around with the terminal and have someone carefully open doors and so on, or you can be TieTuesday, who just teleports right away without any prep and you see him carefuly avoid monsters and carrying loot entirely from experience from Phasmaphobia \ Deceive Inc. \ FGC.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jan 9, 2024

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

bird. posted:

I'm looking forward to season 3 of From. A show written in the style of, starring actors who were in, Lost. I have learned nothing.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I just find a lot of these mystery box shows to be kind of boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

fun hater posted:

er. warren ellis hasnt stopped working lol.

Yeah, he went radio silent for about a year but he started up his weekly email again and is getting writing gigs. The collective of women that tried to mediate a restorative justice process with him posted that he'd basically not engaged with it in any sort of useful way and that they were done with it, and he's just quietly gone back to work without the blaring social media presence he used to have.

Also hey, remember Devin Faraci? Yeah, he came back and has like eight hundred people on patreon. You can stage manage this poo poo if you stay quiet for long enough.