Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Vermain posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMz-ZdgUnD0

this is, uh, not looking good for our boys "the suicide squad"

Look, they may as well just cancel their game and take the loss, cause it's a really bad loving sign when Gamespot walks away from a preview with a negative impression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Dragon Age Origins is one of the few games where the term Grimdark actually applies well. They're trying to tell a "serious" story so hard that they fall into every amateur fantasy trap the entire Darkspawn and Grey Warden ecosystem is idiotic in the extreme and the Mages and templars, Jesus.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I just feel bad for Rocksteady.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

dao had really good blood splatter and they knew it, and almost every cutscene all your characters would be covered in blood

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I said come in! posted:

Look, they may as well just cancel their game and take the loss, cause it's a really bad loving sign when Gamespot walks away from a preview with a negative impression.

Almost everyone at the press preview came away negative lmao

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I hated that tactics slots cost you skill points

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

homeless snail posted:

dao had really good blood splatter and they knew it, and almost every cutscene all your characters would be covered in blood

Good as in ridiculous?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

good can have multiple definitions. but also its another checkmark under Grimdark Fantasy

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The only thing in BG3 that I’ve assigned to a number hotkey is a sponge so that I’m fresh and clean after every fight.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

Almost everyone at the press preview came away negative lmao

Jesus, that is pretty bad cause a lot of gaming sites will always ALWAYS give a game the benefit of the doubt in a preview, and is reluctant to say anything negative. Especially Gamespot.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

re:Dungeon crawlers.

I'm prepping roms for a retro handheld I've ordered, and came across X-Men Legends 1 & 2 for the PS2.
They both look like they're extremely my jam.

Gaius Marius posted:

I just feel bad for Rocksteady.

Some corporate suit basically hosed over an extremely good studio by making them poo poo out a GaaS title

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I said come in! posted:

Jesus, that is pretty bad cause a lot of gaming sites will always ALWAYS give a game the benefit of the doubt in a preview, and is reluctant to say anything negative. Especially Gamespot.

https://twitter.com/GreatCheshire/status/1744754250498920473?t=oc4kOXVdeLelsftvVLiW_A&s=19

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'm sure a lot more reviewers would probably have negative previews more often if they already knew which way the wind was blowing, just seems like public opinion is already pretty firmly in the "this game is bad" camp and the websites are running with it.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I think after Redfall last year that game previews are starting to get a little more truthful at least when it comes to live service games. Preview event impressions for Redfall were largely positive to neutral but I remember Dan Ryckert at Giant Bomb just trashed the game in their preview video. I don't agree with Dan Ryckert's taste often but more people should just be honest like that.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

I'm sure a lot more reviewers would probably have negative previews more often if they already knew which way the wind was blowing, just seems like public opinion is already pretty firmly in the "this game is bad" camp and the websites are running with it.
definitely a suicide pact. "they can't cut off access to all of us if we all say it sucked" kind of thing

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

There's also basically always been an unspoken agreement between publishers and press that if the press want to keep access, the negativity is saved for the review. For the press to basically go "gently caress this" so hard is a really bad sign lmao

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I mean... at least it'll act as a warning to stop with the AAA GaaS poo poo?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

I get that feeling too. They seem almost excited when they know ahead of time there's a game folks are ready to sour on, get to be a little less political about their approach.

Then it's open season when content creators have a field day with these things. I was watching some Forspoken LPs recently just to see how the game goes past the demo and a lot of them were kind of boring with X streamer or player falling over themselves repeat the dunks and throw their hands up when something is badly designed.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Owl Inspector posted:

The only thing in BG3 that I’ve assigned to a number hotkey is a sponge so that I’m fresh and clean after every fight.

Elden Ring has soap, checkmate baldur's gatailures

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The IGN video may be right about the game being bad but man is it also a terrible video. I very much doubt any of the actual critiques it uses to argue it's "game bad" point are actually true, since the thrust of it seems to be "these characters are doing bad things and you can't have a game where main characters do bad things!" as if GTA doesn't exist.

Feels more like they got bad vibes from it and needed something to pin it on without actually understanding what they didn't like.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Infinitum posted:

I mean... at least it'll act as a warning to stop with the AAA GaaS poo poo?

There's no way WB will learn any sort of lesson from this. If anything they'll conclude that Rocksteady is no longer a reliable AAA studio to pump resources into, and will either close them or put them on mobile gaming life support.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Rinkles posted:

I hated that tactics slots cost you skill points

This also sucked also I hate gambit systems in general and would rather just have my companions do their own thing using arguably competent ai.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

stev posted:

There's no way WB will learn any sort of lesson from this. If anything they'll conclude that Rocksteady is no longer a reliable AAA studio to pump resources into, and will either close them or put them on mobile gaming life support.

yep, this is how it always goes

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

GlyphGryph posted:

The IGN video may be right about the game being bad but man is it also a terrible video. I very much doubt any of the actual critiques it uses to argue it's "game bad" point are actually true, since the thrust of it seems to be "these characters are doing bad things and you can't have a game where main characters do bad things!" as if GTA doesn't exist.

Feels more like they got bad vibes from it and needed something to pin it on without actually understanding what they didn't like.

I didn’t watch the video but the text makes the point that all of this is probably going to be undone with comic book bullshit because it’s implausible the heroes will just stop being heroes and die forever as villains. So it’s very hard to get invested in anything and that hurts motivation to continue

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Tragically Origins came out shortly before the discovery of the button:awesome ratio.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Another one :lol:

Just :laffo: at every semi-major outlet coming out to dunk on it.

Edit: My bad, just a recap vid

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

GlyphGryph posted:

Were there Cheez-It crackers flying around while they played it?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
UX designers been making the most of that ~1 year delay:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

A hotbar in ER would be neat tbh

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Jay Rust posted:

I thought this was the health care stories thread for a second and was like, hell yeah ER pancakes

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

AngryBooch posted:

This meme was made to originally make fun of UBISoft devs, and funny enough for Avatar: Frontier of Pandora, they scaled their excessive UI way back and implemented similar UI mechanics to Ghost of Tsushima, and Elden Ring. So while they whined on Twitter and looked liked clowns, they ended up taking the advice to heart and did something positive with it instead of doubling down.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Suicide squad looks like they chose to poo poo cartoon particle effects everywhere possible and didn't bother making characters that look connected to the floor.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
And then it turned out, as it always does, that it's the execution that matters more than the idea, and that you can do a good game with or without an intrusive UI, it just requires you to actually make the game good.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

AngryBooch posted:

It bugs me whenever this meme pops up, even with its root in truth, because it's always the absolute worst-case scenario. Like, yeah, if literally every single UI element that could be present is present (ie you have unspent points and also are enterting a mission and also a...transmission or something is playing) then it'll be unwieldly, but sometimes information just needs to be presented to the player, like what skills are available or health/power meters or whatever.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

I was definitely wishing for a radial selection for items/spells or really anything other than the exact same controls from souls which really don’t work well when you have 12 available slots to cycle through

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

GlyphGryph posted:

what he's saying without actually saying it is that it's a marvel property, and therefore anything bad that happens doesn't matter because it's in an alternate timeline or has some kind of reset button that can be conveniently pressed to return to the status quo

the IGN and gamespot videos are both the most direct "stay the gently caress away" softballs i think i've ever seen either outlet throw

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Elden Ring should have had a journal

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

GlyphGryph posted:

Sure, but GTA5's story and writing are ALSO super cringe, just like this is looking like, so I'm inclined to agree for now.

Vermain posted:

what he's saying without actually saying it is that it's a marvel property, and therefore anything bad that happens doesn't matter because it's in an alternate timeline or has some kind of reset button that can be conveniently pressed to return to the status quo

the IGN and gamespot videos are both the most direct "stay the gently caress away" softballs i think i've ever seen either outlet throw

It's DC. What he specifically mentioned, though, is that having a character on the player's team put a bomb in a child Poison Ivy's head or whatever is cringe and gross, especially when they play it for laughs as the small child Poison Ivy cries realistically in the background. Super fun stuff!

mutata fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 9, 2024

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

haveblue posted:

It did. It's called your brain :agesilaus:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

haveblue posted:

fromsoft still hasn't figured out how to implement a status effect inspection screen after 7 games with the same engine, let's not get ahead of ourselves here