Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

kalel posted:

I truly think zaslav is one of the most evil people to ever live

Execs like Bob Iger (he sucks too) at least pay lip service to caring about art and the creative people behind it. Zaslav just blatantly makes it known he gives no fucks and just wants that money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

im in a few polycules and there aint a looker among us

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Jose Oquendo posted:

the way you know all reality tv is fake is that all the people in that poly show appear to be attractive people.

lmao

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Hackers film 1995 posted:

im in a few polycules and there aint a looker among us

Boy the shitstorm when 8 different polycules find out you're the single shared link a big Venn diagram

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJz0X-UZypk

we're so back

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Syphillis superspreader

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Endless Trash posted:

Karl was calling Rosa Parks a lazy criminal and Anne Frank a selfish squatter back in the day. Any cancelling of him will be retroactive.

Lmao. Karl Pilkington ftw

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

priznat posted:

Syphillis superspreader

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

priznat posted:

Syphillis superspreader

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I thought ansel elgort got semi cancelled for being horny on main

It is kind of a shame that Tokyo vice has got the whole “white guy at the centre of bringing down yakuza bosses” thing going on or so the trailer makes it seem anyway

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Nice, I thought the series was cancelled.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

My son is also named elgort

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

I would like to put the elgort guy and the saltburn guy in room 101

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Jose Oquendo posted:

Execs like Bob Iger (he sucks too) at least pay lip service to caring about art and the creative people behind it. Zaslav just blatantly makes it known he gives no fucks and just wants that money.

Yeah there isn't a difference between executives besides how they market themselves. They are all ignorant, dumb, short sighted self-righteous dorks after naked short term profit above all else.

Once 'business' enters into art this is always what happens. It's the end goal by design.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

priznat posted:

It is kind of a shame that Tokyo vice has got the whole “white guy at the centre of bringing down yakuza bosses” thing going on or so the trailer makes it seem anyway

I mean, it’s based on a book written by a white guy who lived in Tokyo. Not to say he didn’t have that perspective, but it’s his story. (At least, the parts that he didn’t make up lol)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1744765385616904564?t=uReG8UWT-S4uTGbzVFrJyw&s=19

loving kill me now.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

poisonpill posted:

I mean, it’s based on a book written by a white guy who lived in Tokyo. Not to say he didn’t have that perspective, but it’s his story. (At least, the parts that he didn’t make up lol)

I accept the show as mildly entertaining for what it is but it's far from the book, which was mainly about how working at a japanese company was weird and kinda sucked, and not so much about eg ninja attacks

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

That's a really loving bad title for the movie. They're better off calling it "Baby Yoda."

That's official by the way. The Star Wars twitter account says it goes into production later this year.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

I sure hope they get Jack Black and Lizzo back in to marvel at more of Grogu's wacky antics at the dinner table

Jose Oquendo posted:

That's a really loving bad title for the movie. They're better off calling it "Baby Yoda."

But with "Grogu and The Mandalorian" instead

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 9, 2024

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

You really feel the lumbering nature of disney. You guys like baby yoda (fad from 4 years ago, potentially 6-7 years ago by the time this movie is actually releasing), right

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If Kenobi was a 2 hour movie stretched into 6 hours of agony Mando movie will feel like a Season 4 hacked to pieces to make a film.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

priznat posted:

Probably because the honky that wrote the book it is based on made the entire thing up

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-features/tokyo-vice-problematic-source-material-1235135828 posted:

Did Adelstein, for instance, really use aikido skills to beat up a huge yakuza bouncer? Was he the target of yakuza “snipers”? Did female sources agree to give him information only if he would sleep with them — with one woman in his book throwing a wad of 10,000 yen ($100) bills at him and demanding sexual satisfaction? Among those who have known and worked with Adelstein, sources assess that some of his more far-fetched adventures run the gamut from merely colorful and larger-than-life to “exaggerated” or, simply, “fiction.”

https://globalitewatchdog.wordpress.com/2015/10/20/jake-adelstein-tokyo-vice-japan-journalist/ posted:

–told the Foreign Correspondents Club of Japan that he turned down $500,000 offer from gangsters to keep his mouth shut. Gangsters deny this, telling Japanese reporters that they never heard of Adelstein.

–says Japan’s largest criminal syndicate agreed to protect his family, kill only him

–told Bloomberg News in October, 2013, and many other news organizations, that he lives under police protection in Tokyo. Police officers in Adelstein’s neighborhood say this isn’t true. While trying to recruit a cute young female assistant, Adelstein told her that it’s safe to come over and live with a French model in his house in Shimokitazawa in west Tokyo. As he told her in an email: “I’m not in any danger nor is anyone working for me or who knows me.”

–says he spent 12 years as a “police reporter”, while his name card says he was in the “Society Department”. Several Yomiuri colleagues called him a pathological liar, according to a New Yorker article written by his high school classmate.

–told the New Yorker in 2011 he was dying of liver cancer, a disease which kills many victims in weeks or months. Claimed he was undergoing chemotherapy, but went smoking, drinking heavily with a reporter. Also claims to have brain lesions, flashbacks due to “beatings” from gangsters

–made dozens of allegations in 23-page complaint filed in US court claiming that yakuza gangsters would kill anyone involved in National Geographic documentary, which Adelstein quit after going to US in middle of shooting schedule in Japan. Nobody died.

–says he once “broke a gangster’s knees” with a golf club during a fight in a Tokyo real estate office

–claims in his “non-fiction” book Tokyo Vice, and in various interviews, that his informant, “a prostitute friend” named “Helena”, was murdered due to his actions. He told the BBC that she had been “raped, tortured and killed.” Adelstein’s assistant and another person identified “Helena” as Olivia Stelcer. When contacted in 2013, Stelcer in several emails confirmed that she helped Adelstein’s reporting in 2001, continued to live in Japan for 16 years, and that she wasn’t “murdered”. She said Adelstein continued to contact her, even as he told the public he felt guilty for her murder and lamented her loss.

–Though he never covered the Japan tsunami and nuclear disaster, nor the riots near his home in Missouri, he claims that he suffers from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, and says he sleeps in 2-hour shifts, despite help from psychotherapists. Says he often took marijuana, lyrica and other drugs, and has overcome addictions which caused him to make bad decisions and do regrettable things, but denies accusations he uses crystal methamphetamine.

–Adelstein claims he employs a former yakuza boss and convicted drug dealer, Teruo Mochizuki, of driving him around Tokyo in a black Mercedes S600 “Vice-mobile”. Adelstein denies using drugs.

–says his father, a pathologist, told the FBI, Congress and ABC News that a local nurse murdered 42 patients at his hospital. After being acquitted due to lack of evidence, the nurse moved to another state.

–says that while living in a Zen monastery in Tokyo for three years, he worked as a “Swedish masseur” for attractive Japanese women.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

^^ lol yeah I was surprised they kept the story focus on him for S2, seems like they could have shed a lot of his stuff as it’s probably bunk

poisonpill posted:

Yeah I thought a lot of it was just straight up BS like stuff about bow and arrow ninja assassins coming to kill him lol

Make Ken watanabe’s character the focus imo. And his rad car.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

I am also being hunted by the yakuza

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

I am also being hunted by the yakuza

I'm sleeping with all the yakuza women and they throw money at me and DEMAND sexual satisfaction

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Let he who hasn't had attractive Japanese women throw money at them and demand sexual satisfaction cast the first stone

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

priznat posted:

^^ lol yeah I was surprised they kept the story focus on him for S2, seems like they could have shed a lot of his stuff as it’s probably bunk

Fake or not, the story was still popular and good and changing it between seasons is a stupid move

Edit: was ANY of it real to begin with? Like was he exaggerating WAYYYYY too much or was he just straight up full on fantasy?

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 9, 2024

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

*meekly puts down stone *

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

God I hate the word throuple. Just say trio. That's an actual word that means the same thing and doesn't sound like you're a 3rd grader making up words.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I'm tempted to start all my email correspondence with co-workers tell them how guilty I feel over getting them murdered.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Yup, that’s a pathological liar right there.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Gutcruncher posted:

Fake or not, the story was still popular and good and changing it between seasons is a stupid move

Edit: was ANY of it real to begin with? Like was he exaggerating WAYYYYY too much or was he just straight up full on fantasy?

It seems like some of the basic facts, like him working in japan, were true but everything surrounding it, like what he did, was lies

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I guess Sato did die last season. I thought that would be a cliffhanger and he’d be in the hospital or something at start of season 2.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Gutcruncher posted:

Edit: was ANY of it real to begin with? Like was he exaggerating WAYYYYY too much

welcome to phase 3: bargaining

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

He worked at a japanese company for several years and it sucked. That's about as far as I would trust him and honestly mostly what I remember from the book, though it has been almost 15 years since I read it at this point(!?!?)

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Finally got around to checking out the Reacher show.

It's peak alpha-male fantasy, but drat if it doesn't scratch the itch left since Banshee ended.

Vakal fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jan 9, 2024

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

PostNouveau posted:

Boy the shitstorm when 8 different polycules find out you're the single shared link a big Venn diagram

ME: *watching with binoculars as several polycules converge at a single point* My god, the perfect shitstorm...
SECURITY OFFICER: Sir, why is what they do any of your business?
ME: I... because... why... why is what is my business any of your business?
SECURITY OFFICER: Yeah, ok, whatever, sir. This is the last time I'm going to ask you to leave FurCon

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Putting on reacher for my dad must be what putting on the gorilla channel is like for trump. Total, instant pacification. I wish I knew such peace

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

I don't care if Tokyo Vice is all made up garbage, season one was great and I'm looking forward to 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Vakal posted:

Finally got around to checking out the Reacher show.

It's peak alpha-male fantasy, but drat if it doesn't scratch the itch left since Banshee ended.

"this bucket of trash might be full of dog poo poo and vomit but at least it's still garbage"