Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

zimbomonkey posted:

who cares what it looks like? if you think he's cooked you trade him, if you think he's good you keep him. that last paragraph is a hair away from a sunk cost fallacy. his skill is not determined by what we gave up for him and the value of keeping him is not affected by what others will think if we let him go. If someone else wants to make that mistake, let them.

It’s not sunk cost if you have no option.

In fact doing it without a better option is just stupidity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I think it's overwhelmingly likely that Bryce is a lost cause. But the rest of the team is awful too and unless they have a miracle plan to acquire a capable starter they might as well run him back to either improve or wash out completely. In the meantime restock the rest of the team and look towards '25.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Bryce Young or Trey Lance?

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Intruder posted:

Teams aren't going to write Bryce off after a bad rookie season on a dogshit team when he was entering the draft as at worst a top 5 pick

Should he have been? I don’t think so Tim.

Nov 6, 2002

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

Should he have been? I don’t think so Tim.

If the Panthers didn't draft him where would he have gone?

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

If the Panthers didn't draft him where would he have gone?

There’s a reason those teams were drafting 1-5.

I cannot wrap my head around the idea of wee Bryce being a top pick lol. It feels like one of those situations where it only makes sense if you’re massively overthinking things and I guess there’s systemic institutional overthinking of things in certain front offices.

It’s like the mirror of drafting tall white guys that “look good” really high. Bryce is alternate universe Paxton Lynch.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

If you can wrangle a Day Two or better pick from another team for Young, you take it in a heartbeat.

Otherwise, yeah, might as well keep him on the roster and let him compete with Dalton for a starting job. Just don't do what the Jets did and force the team to roll with an-almost-certain bust with no viable escape hatch.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Kurt Warner is a POS and he's available. Maybe Carolina could get him and he could blow out his achilles on the first series, too.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Kurt Warner’s kind of a Jesus freak but he seems like an okay fella

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Diva Cupcake posted:

I hope the kid learns how to play football but I’ve seen enough disaster level rookie QB seasons to know that they pretty much never do.

He’s just too short. Maybe if he juices enough to approximate Kyler’s body type he can function but right now he’s a cautionary tale.

Plenty of QBs bounce back from terrible rookie seasons. It's insanely hard to play QB in the NFL and it takes time to adapt.

He's also not too short that's a weird thing to say considering that wasn't his problem this year. He had WRs that were put into a speed route offense that couldn't run those routes fast enough because they're all old and poo poo. He had to run for his life all the time because they were always covered. They had the absolute worst WR group in the league and it's astounding Thielen even put up the stats he did. I don't think he had problems seeing over the line or having his passes batted. He was tied with Mahomes and Josh Allen as the 30th most batted down QB this year with 6 compared to Howell and Mayfield with 19.

Nov 6, 2002

fsif posted:

Just don't do what the Jets did and force the team to roll with an-almost-certain bust with no viable escape hatch.

I think the difference is the Panthers are not expecting to compete for the division next year.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Waltzing Along posted:

Kurt Warner is a POS and he's available. Maybe Carolina could get him and he could blow out his achilles on the first series, too.

Kurt Warner takes the stray for Bryce Young who is extremely short and slender.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Doltos posted:

Plenty of QBs bounce back from terrible rookie seasons. It's insanely hard to play QB in the NFL and it takes time to adapt.

He's also not too short that's a weird thing to say considering that wasn't his problem this year. He had WRs that were put into a speed route offense that couldn't run those routes fast enough because they're all old and poo poo. He had to run for his life all the time because they were always covered. They had the absolute worst WR group in the league and it's astounding Thielen even put up the stats he did. I don't think he had problems seeing over the line or having his passes batted. He was tied with Mahomes and Josh Allen as the 30th most batted down QB this year with 6 compared to Howell and Mayfield with 19.

I think, all things considering, Thielen being as productive as he was is one of the few positives the Panthers can take away from this season and build on. If the Panthers can get a WR with some speed, that connection Thielen and Bryce have might actually be productive next season

Nov 6, 2002

I wouldn't count on Thielen for anything at his age, even after this season.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Doltos posted:

He’s not getting passes batted down because he’s not even able to get out throws that could be batted lol

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
Could Bryce become like a spot thrower like Tua?

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
The Cardinals immediately moved on from Rosen and Im pretty sure a lot of folk here were going through this exact same discussion when it happened. Bryce is bad and its fine to move on from him. Will they land a Murray? Prolly not, but getting any return out of him is better than the negative value he currently brings to the Panthers. Let some other team perform sunk cost gymnastics instead.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

He’s not getting passes batted down because he’s not even able to get out throws that could be batted lol

He had the 12th most attempts in the league

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Yeah no kidding. Can’t have anything batted down when you’re immediately sprinting right and chucking it five yards over a receivers head out of bounds.

And Bryce clearly had trouble seeing over the line, from the first game even. He couldn’t have made Bates interceptions easier if he handed the ball off to him. And his inability to see fucks with his mechanics. He’s constantly on tip toe, his drop back keeps him looking at the whole field, and he even peaks back during handoffs during playaction.

Maybe that’s workable if you have incredible timing, arm strength, or elite level processing and grasp of the offense but Bruce doesn’t have any of those. Or situational awareness. Or any sense of urgency.

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.

pasaluki posted:

Could Bryce become like a spot thrower like Tua?

Mike Martz snaps to attention.

Nov 6, 2002

Just imagine Bryce in a Martz offense.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Doltos posted:

Is this broken down by quarter anywhere? I wouldnt be surprised if half of his yards, attempts, completions came in the fourth when teams just dropped into prevent.

No matter the game situation he was more than happy to just dump it off underneath for five yards in the middle of the field.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i am concerned that fiz is going to try and murder bryce young irl

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

FizFashizzle posted:

Is this broken down by quarter anywhere? I wouldnt be surprised if half of his yards, attempts, completions came in the fourth when teams just dropped into prevent.

No matter the game situation he was more than happy to just dump it off underneath for five yards in the middle of the field.

No but tangently related if anyone has an uber stats site that has a ton of advanced statistics without a paywall holler at ya boy

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Master Stur posted:

The Cardinals immediately moved on from Rosen and Im pretty sure a lot of folk here were going through this exact same discussion when it happened. Bryce is bad and its fine to move on from him. Will they land a Murray? Prolly not, but getting any return out of him is better than the negative value he currently brings to the Panthers. Let some other team perform sunk cost gymnastics instead.

The Cardinals had the number 1 pick in the draft. If the Panthers had the number 1 pick then yea, absolutely, draft Williams and move on. Unfortunately despite being the worst team in the league they don’t have the number 1 pick because they already spent it on Bryce Young, so they might as well see if they can salvage him.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Doltos posted:

My point was about what kind of attempts those were. He’s not even making throws over engaged blockers that might get batted down.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

My point was about what kind of attempts those were. He’s not even making throws over engaged blockers that might get batted down.

I think it's perfectly fine to escape a pocket and throw a pass in the NFL, you'll find that Mahomes does the exact same thing.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Doltos posted:

I think it's perfectly fine to escape a pocket and throw a pass in the NFL, you'll find that Mahomes does the exact same thing.

?????

I don’t disagree

??????

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Doltos posted:

Plenty of QBs bounce back from terrible rookie seasons.

I guess it depends on how you define "bounce back," but there really aren't many QBs with terrible rookie seasons that become solid starters or better. This comes up every offseason and you can't get through one hand until you're starting to count QBs that were drafted nearly two decades ago.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Doltos posted:

he usually completes them though

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I'm confused. So apparently he's too short but doesn't get balls batted down, he doesn't attempt those throws even though he's in the top half of the league in attempts, and we're demonizing him because he rolls out of a zone blocking pocket that hasn't been effective all season with WRs that are blanketed immediately despite other QBs having the same exact playstyle.

Nov 6, 2002

fsif posted:

I guess it depends on how you define "bounce back," but there really aren't many QBs with terrible rookie seasons that become solid starters or better. This comes up every offseason and you can't get through one hand until you're starting to count QBs that were drafted nearly two decades ago.

That was my thought as well. Who are all these great QB's that had disastrous rookie seasons? And please don't tell me Peyton Manning.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

According to that chart someone posted a few days back I'd say Jared Goff and Alex Smith

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Trevor Lawrence, kind of. I know TFF is down on him but I still think he's good, he's just very hurt right now

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

fsif posted:

There’s not many QBs who become solid starters or better, period. The odds of drafting one are quite low. Trading for one happens even less often. These are all low probability events and the Panther’s don’t even have a first round pick so their odds are even worse.

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
Goff is the go-to example for an absolutely terrible QB who made good. Though not good enough for team to not one to move on eventually, even though they extended him

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

That was my thought as well. Who are all these great QB's that had disastrous rookie seasons? And please don't tell me Peyton Manning.

You're not allowed to say Peyton Manning even though he's an example? That's kind of selective bias right there.

List of QBs that had a near statistical season as Bryce their rookie year or way worse that are starting right now:

Jared Goff
Josh Allen
Matthew Stafford
Jalen Hurts
Geno Smith
Kirk Cousins
Joe Flacco
Ryan Tannehill

Historical QBs that had a worse rookie season:
Peyton Manning
Steve Young
Alex Smith
Troy Aikman
Terry Bradshaw

Should I keep going or is this going to change your mind at all?

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Doltos posted:

I'm confused. So apparently he's too short but doesn't get balls batted down,

He’s not capable of making those throws which limits the offense

quote:

he doesn't attempt those throws even though he's in the top half of the league in attempts,

Having a ton of attempts doesn’t mean much if they are bad percentage throws or stuff that has to be schemed for his limitations

quote:

and we're demonizing him because he rolls out of a zone blocking pocket that hasn't been effective all season

Some of which can be attributed to his inability to see types of reads, his limitations are partially to blame here

quote:

with WRs that are blanketed immediately despite other QBs having the same exact playstyle.

Other QBs do this as a weapon not as a response

In conclusion, CJ Stroud was right there lmao

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

He’s not capable of making those throws which limits the offense

Hearsay without any proof

Having a ton of attempts doesn’t mean much if they are bad percentage throws or stuff that has to be schemed for his limitations

He was .2 below a 60% completion. I don't know what bad percentage throws you're talking about.

Some of which can be attributed to his inability to see types of reads, his limitations are partially to blame here

I'd argue from the tape I've seen that he's perfectly fine at reading a defense and processing it.

Other QBs do this as a weapon not as a response

What

In conclusion, CJ Stroud was right there lmao

I do agree with this tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 6, 2002

Doltos posted:

You're not allowed to say Peyton Manning even though he's an example? That's kind of selective bias right there.

List of QBs that had a near statistical season as Bryce their rookie year or way worse that are starting right now:

Jared Goff
Josh Allen
Matthew Stafford
Jalen Hurts
Geno Smith
Kirk Cousins
Joe Flacco
Ryan Tannehill

Should I keep going or is this going to change your mind at all?

Eh, I feel like this is slightly disingenuous because for someone who loves to watch film and talk about actually watching players play as much as you do, you really think their performances were on par with Young's?

I don't recall any of those guys looking as absolutely awful, hopeless, and completely out of place in the NFL like Young has this season, do you?