Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The ensign that spilled coffee on Picard is a captain now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

zoux posted:

Every time we go into the future, someone's a captain. Beverly? Captain. Nog? Captain. Data? Well he's dead but he's still a captain.

Kim? Still an Ensign.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Doesn’t Beverly make Captain and have her own medical ship in All Good Things?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Powered Descent posted:

Kim? Still an Ensign.

The first Ensign to make Captain o7

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Thaddius the Large posted:

Doesn’t Beverly make Captain and have her own medical ship in All Good Things?

Yes, the USS Pasteur

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

The first Ensign to make Captain o7

I imagine Harry just as the only person on the ship, running up and down from Engineering to the Bridge, giving himself commands

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

maybeadracula posted:

Yes, the USS Pasteur

And the hero shot of that ship is gorgeous :swoon:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't care for the sphere

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
When did my prom date buy an account

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

zoux posted:

The ensign that spilled coffee on Picard is a captain now

Yeah, on Lower Decks

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

zoux posted:

I mean, the Olympic-class Pasteur was literally Bill George paying homage to both the Daedalus class as well as some of Matt Jeffries' original Enterprise design concepts. I thought it was a nice throwback to Trek's origins.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

zoux posted:

It actually makes a lot of sense for a hospital ship to a have a spherical saucer because you could probably fit more people vertically on a spherical deck layout than horizontally on a flat saucer if the sphere is the main ward of the ship's medbay.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

While I'm sure they slapped a few phasers on that ship in case it had to shoot down an asteroid or a drug-seeking Pakled, you're also going to be less worried about defensive geometry.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

the next time we see harry kim, he should be a commodore. still living that one-pip life

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
There are no decks and the gravity plating is on the outside of the sphere so progressively heavier G therapy can be utilized naturally for patients

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Every time I see something from STO it's always something wild like Mirror Wesley is the Terran Emperor, who is replaced by Mirror Leeta at the end of the arc, and then I read there's a grand alliance of every power ever in the shows. Ezri being a captain isn't that crazy because I'm trying to wrap my head around all the powers of the Dominion War being in an alliance a couple decades after the end of that war.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
Re: Ezri Dax as a captain:

As someone else said before, it's hard to tell who she would become because we only see her in what is probably the most tumultuous time in her life. But even so, Ezri didn't seem to have the personality or interest in Starfleet as a career. She seemed to me to be one of those "joined the military to pay for college and then got out after one enlistment period," rather than a career soldier. And you would think the Dax Symbiont would want a change of pace too after 10+ years of that anyway. Given that Jadzia had some wild impulses, I always thought of the Dax Symbiont as more restless than something that would settle for an orderly military life over multiple lifetimes. Ezri is lucky the thing didn't immediately say upon their bonding, "Alright., What's your whole deal? Counseling? College? Nah, gently caress all that. Let's go do some ayahuasca and really see the loving cosmos."

Symbiont Dax as Electrochemistry, basically.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I'm trying to wrap my head around all the powers of the Dominion War being in an alliance a couple decades after the end of that war.

Basically, everyone got invaded by even bigger bad guys and had to group up to survive them.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Ahh, the DBZ approach to story writing

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The Klingons are very Vegeta

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

KAKAROT, nuqneH

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

DaveWoo posted:

Plus there's that one episode where Bashir is sent to a hospital in a war zone and it literally becomes MASH in space

You know, while it's a good jake episode i actually really dislike it because it feels like it's from earlier in the timeline
They're fighting Klingons even though that's all done with. There's a line trying to justify it but it's dumb

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Basically, everyone got invaded by even bigger bad guys and had to group up to survive them.

Except they didn't invite the tholians to the alliance because of racism.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

No Dignity posted:

"Gowron, no!!""
"GOWRON YES!"

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

No Dignity posted:

Except for Worf, who is Goku.

Mainly when it comes to parenting skills.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Except for Worf, who is Goku.

Mainly when it comes to parenting skills.

Are there any DS9 scenes with Klingons wearing the vorta/jem-hadar headsets? Because, you know, that would be perfect for this...

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Taear posted:

You know, while it's a good jake episode i actually really dislike it because it feels like it's from earlier in the timeline
They're fighting Klingons even though that's all done with. There's a line trying to justify it but it's dumb

I have good news about a certain SNW episode.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Phy posted:

"Gowron, no!!""
"GOWRON YES!"

DS9 S4 is the Majin Gowron arc

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

mllaneza posted:

I have good news about a certain SNW episode.

Uh I dunno what you mean sorry

When I say earlier in the timeline I mean the Klingon War ended in DS9 before that episode but it's randomly still going on. The cease fire ends and is re-started over the course of the episode even, it's so weird

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Trek was always kind of unclear about whether or not a cease-fire means the Klingons will actually stop attacking you, or if it just means the Klingon high council isn't making war plans against you anymore. I think "For the Battle..." is mostly in line with that, especially later in the season when we hit "By Inferno's Light" and Sisko takes advantage of the new crisis to pressure Gowron into explicitly rejoining the Khitomer Accords so all that poo poo will stop.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I suspect the Klingon government is very clear that they are telling everyone to stop shooting, and that anyone who KEEPS shooting will face Klingon justice if captured, but that realistically, some handful of jackoffs will probably ignore the order or claim to have 'not received it due to a targ on the console.' The Feds are probably used to it

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
That one Klingon officer was ready to attack the Enterprise over space rust. And that was clearly at peacetime.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Latest "Starfleet Admin Jobs" video is a gutpunch but is worth watching:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcYYq-s2lW0

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Latest "Starfleet Admin Jobs" video is a gutpunch but is worth watching:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcYYq-s2lW0

I've got problems with this. First, he's extrapolating the amount of jeopardy the Enterprise D faces as normal for the fleet, when it's clearly stated in the show that the -D goes through more poo poo than the next 10 ships combined.

Second, what are these crews supposed to do on their 5 year missions? Do you not allow your young Starfleet officers to serve on missions for 18 or more years while they raise their children? Do you force those children to be separated from one or more of their parents for 5 or more years at a time? Do just send them to the limited available slots on starbases where advancement is more limited and there are fewer opportunities of all kinds? What about the colonies? Those seem to be more dangerous than the Starships. Those get wiped out, borged, conquered, and raided all the time? Do you prohibit kids out on the frontier?

I get where he's coming from, but Starfleet isn't strictly military, and when they do know they're going into a fight all of the civilians get off. I do think he's seriously overstating the level of danger the average ship sees.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

A.o.D. posted:

I've got problems with this. First, he's extrapolating the amount of jeopardy the Enterprise D faces as normal for the fleet, when it's clearly stated in the show that the -D goes through more poo poo than the next 10 ships combined.

Second, what are these crews supposed to do on their 5 year missions? Do you not allow your young Starfleet officers to serve on missions for 18 or more years while they raise their children? Do you force those children to be separated from one or more of their parents for 5 or more years at a time? Do just send them to the limited available slots on starbases where advancement is more limited and there are fewer opportunities of all kinds? What about the colonies? Those seem to be more dangerous than the Starships. Those get wiped out, borged, conquered, and raided all the time? Do you prohibit kids out on the frontier?

I get where he's coming from, but Starfleet isn't strictly military, and when they do know they're going into a fight all of the civilians get off. I do think he's seriously overstating the level of danger the average ship sees.

Hint: the video isn't actually about Starfleet, except on the surface.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Yes it's obviously about getting the Irish to eat their own children to solve their problems with starvation and overpopulation.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Powered Descent posted:

Hint: the video isn't actually about Starfleet, except on the surface.

sucks for that guy. you make a star trek video you deal with the star trek pedantry

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Also I kind of think his allegory loses the plot, which is why I went in the direction I did.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
civilians on starships is actually more moral because it ensures that all segments of the population share exposure to the consequences of their foreign policy :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

A.o.D. posted:

Where is that stated? The Enterprise probably gets some choice assignments by virtue of being the flagship, but I think that outside of the season finales (where the narrative requires The Enterprise to be involved in Big Events) the show is pretty representative for all Starfleet ships with comparable missions.

A.o.D. posted:

Second, what are these crews supposed to do on their 5 year missions? Do you not allow your young Starfleet officers to serve on missions for 18 or more years while they raise their children? Do you force those children to be separated from one or more of their parents for 5 or more years at a time? Do just send them to the limited available slots on starbases where advancement is more limited and there are fewer opportunities of all kinds?

What about the colonies? Those seem to be more dangerous than the Starships. Those get wiped out, borged, conquered, and raided all the time? Do you prohibit kids out on the frontier?

It's never directly stated just how fringe Starfleet is ideologically to the Federation, and Earth in particular, but the show does imply it.

I think we can assume that the Federation takes a view more similar to that of Central/Eastern Europe than that of Scandinavia when it comes to the rights of children. Meaning, the rights of a child as an independent entity are not primary to that of the family unit. Breaking up the family is not acceptable even if that would arguably result in a better outcome for the child. A Starfleet officer is perfectly within their rights to have or bring children along on their demonstrably dangerous lifestyles. It's not that crazy; the Norwegian Child Protective System have repeatedly been criticized by the European Court of Human Rights for centering children over the rights of their parents.

The colonies aldo diverge ideologically from the Federation. In fact, trying out a new way of life is directly stated in the show as a common primary motivation for establishing a new colony. Once you leave, whatever value system you've ascribed to is what your children will get to experience.

Starfleet is a home for fanatical scientists, explorers and soldiers who prefer to regularly face death and insanity than live in a virtual paradise on Earth. A lot of them had parents with the same inclinations, and demonstrably wish for their children to carry on the tradition. There's very clearly a certain amount of indoctrination involved, but that's true for our societies as well.

I assume a lot of Federation citizens rightly believe Starfleet volunteers to be insane. Sisko's dad gives us a glimpse of this, although there's likely a ton of pro-Starfleet peopaganda seeing as the Federation relies on them for protection.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 12, 2024