Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/BizNasty2point0/status/1744741970449473842

Hartsy, what the Christ is that haircut?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

New York has 1 Cup since slavery ended, I do not grant the exception.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://x.com/friedgehnic/status/1744792106650980367?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Seems like an unforced error here, and would have been a decision made by Briere when he took over in March.

Who knew it would get this ugly, but pretty much every team burns a year with college players getting a few games in April

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

The guy might have a dumb reason for not wanting to play in Philly, but keep in mind that Briere also isn't going to come out and say something like, "We handled his situation poorly in this specific way and it made him not want to work with us anymore," which could 100% be what happened.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He asked for swiss cheese.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Lmao why would the flyers care about a bonus overage. They weren't even a cap team before they traded for Drysdale.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

glynnenstein posted:

The guy might have a dumb reason for not wanting to play in Philly, but keep in mind that Briere also isn't going to come out and say something like, "We handled his situation poorly in this specific way and it made him not want to work with us anymore," which could 100% be what happened.

Maybe Cutter has some wheelchairs in his family

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Lol Brendan Leipsic got given Russian citizenship by Putin. Bye whore

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Oh they didn't sign him last year, like idiots, and then probably weren't going to call him up/involve him this year since things are going well enough....so who knows when his ELC clock starts ticking. Yeah now this makes sense. Great job Philly.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Misanthrope posted:

agreed, someone should really beat the poo poo out of Adam Fox

Don't worry, Adam Fox is bad now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b37McxKKaso&t=129s

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Rude but not wrong, for now.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I also came across this last night and I choose to believe it

https://twitter.com/CrossingBroad/status/1744547990994325572

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Has anyone considered that maybe he doesnt want to play for Torts?

Cause Id rather play in fuckin Winnipeg than play for Torts.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

triple sulk posted:

I also came across this last night and I choose to believe it

https://twitter.com/CrossingBroad/status/1744547990994325572

Kevin Hayes disagrees

https://x.com/mdefranks/status/1744776976416592326?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Lmao why would the flyers care about a bonus overage. They weren't even a cap team before they traded for Drysdale.

That’s also probably a half-truth to cover for the primary reason, which is keeping his ELC eligibility as long as possible. Between signing bonuses and delaying his second contract Gauthier has probably already lost a ton of future money (assuming he’s as good as people think and also assuming proper investment of his early earnings)

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Starsfan posted:

hmm so the guy was gung ho to be a Flyer looking Daniel Briere in the eye and telling him it was his dream and then half a year later he didn't want anything to do with them.. strange

If we accept as true Brier's testimony that Gauthier conveyed to them at the combine that he was genuinely excited to be drafted and play for Philadelphia my guess is the Flyers did something hosed up in the intervening months to piss him off. I am basing this guess on the fact that pro sports organizations do stupid or hosed up things all of the time whereas the number of times NHL prospects just randomly decide they want nothing to do with their current organization for no good reason is vanishingly small.

Like.. as others have said sometimes i wish that they did it more. I've seen the Stars absolutely ruin many a once promising career and the most often answer you get out of these people is "I gotta work harder and earn my chance, management has a plan and I gotta show them that I can be part of that plan". It's rather infuriating.

I mean, when I'm at a job interview I always say I am genuinely excited to work at X company even though that is rarely true. What else are you going to say?

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

Chad Sexington posted:

I mean, when I'm at a job interview I always say I am genuinely excited to work at X company even though that is rarely true. What else are you going to say?

That 17 year old is a little more employable than most people

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

He could have just pulled a Michkov. It's not like he was a mid/late round pick that needed to suck up. And max ELC is the same for everyone so he's not giving up money by telling teams he didn't like to gently caress off and dropping a couple spots in the draft.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

He's pissed they hosed him around by not signing him. How would he know that would happen?

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Geez wonder why anyone wouldn’t want to play for that organization

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

A lot of teams don't sign prospects after 1 year, but it never amounts to this

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

WeaponX posted:

Geez wonder why anyone wouldn’t want to play for that organization

https://x.com/MDeFranks/status/1744776974940152175?s=20

Flyers are back baby. this is how they're supposed to be

CBJSprague24 posted:

Hartsy, what the Christ is that haircut?

he's trying to do the K'Andre Miller but K'Andre is like male model beautiful:

DO YALL WANT A BOXC fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 9, 2024

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

A lot of teams don't sign prospects after 1 year, but it never amounts to this

It's relatively common for the higher end NCAA guys to only play 1 or 2 years in the NCAA before they get signed to the NHL. Just about every NHLer to come from the NCAA recently has followed that trajectory. Cooley, Makar, McAvoy, Power, Luke Hughes, Zegras, etc., - all of them played 1 or 2 years of NCAA at most. It sounds like Gauthier expected the same, and as a prospect he's probably just about ready for for the NHL, and the Flyers either said no or were non-committal about it.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Thankfully the college players can pretty much just threaten to stay for all the years and a team will trade them if a high enough draft pick.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
He's also just turned 19 so he could have been eligible as soon as last year. Finish the NCAA season then play your 10 dead rubber games and burn that year. Clearly the Flyers had a different trajectory planned which already will have cost Cutter a huge amount of money, especially if he wasn't going to be able to burn that first ELC year this season. Which seems reasonable because of where the Flyers are in the standings...and also Torts. So great management all around.

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life
There’s a video of him saying he didn’t want to leave BC on a sour note and really wanted to come back. So who knows. Could be the truth. Could be BS to cover that he didn’t want to play in Philly.

e: also never listen to the Philly media.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

rex rabidorum vires posted:

He's also just turned 19 so he could have been eligible as soon as last year. Finish the NCAA season then play your 10 dead rubber games and burn that year. Clearly the Flyers had a different trajectory planned which already will have cost Cutter a huge amount of money, especially if he wasn't going to be able to burn that first ELC year this season. Which seems reasonable because of where the Flyers are in the standings...and also Torts. So great management all around.

yeah all you need to think is this is a kid who's broke as poo poo who could've had like a 10k payday last year for just showing up and burned an ELC year getting him 1 closer to signing a real contract/making real money

I don't blame a prospect for doing those sorts of calculations in a league where your career could be over in an instant from catching some bad hits
the specter of Nolan Patrick is right there, even

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I'm sure it's partly about the ELC starting but I genuinely think that also guys like him are ultra-competitive and think they're ready to be in the NHL (and in his case he's probably correct). Being told to be patient or that the team that drafted you isn't going to sign you even when you think/know you're ready has got to be frustrating for a guy who has been supremely successful at hockey basically his whole life.

I wonder if the Ducks are going to sign him right away, or at least soon.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I don't think the Ducks would have traded Drysdale plus a 2nd for him if they weren't confident of signing him. I'd expect it to be announced any day.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I wonder if the Ducks are going to sign him right away, or at least soon.

I have doubts about it being right away as opposed to after the college season is over. Philly probably wouldn’t agree to a college to pro time table. Anaheim isn’t going to lose anything on it to sign him whenever he wants to sign. BC is doing pretty well this year so he may play out the season. Neither would surprise me.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
He’ll play out the season then join the ducks.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Jhet posted:

I have doubts about it being right away as opposed to after the college season is over. Philly probably wouldn’t agree to a college to pro time table. Anaheim isn’t going to lose anything on it to sign him whenever he wants to sign. BC is doing pretty well this year so he may play out the season. Neither would surprise me.

Duckman2008 posted:

He’ll play out the season then join the ducks.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking too. BC is real good this year so it wouldn't surprise me if he wants to finish and he has a verbal agreement with the Ducks to sign after.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Fine he didn't wanna play here, whatever, it's done. But what I fail to understand is why he ghosted the team and refused to meet with Jones and Briere when they traveled to Sweden with that intent. It was handled poorly, and I'm sure the Flyers could've done things differently too.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

shyduck posted:

Fine he didn't wanna play here, whatever, it's done. But what I fail to understand is why he ghosted the team and refused to meet with Jones and Briere when they traveled to Sweden with that intent. It was handled poorly, and I'm sure the Flyers could've done things differently too.

I think it's mostly the stuff about the Flyers not committing to signing him on a timetable he wanted, but I also genuinely think the "he was a Penguins fan growing up" thing is a factor.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I was a Penguins fan growing up and would have absolutely no problem playing for the Flyers, if the terms are acceptable and they don't gently caress with my ELC clock.

I'm pretty sure it was 100% that second thing and 0% that first thing

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I mean sure, I've been a Bruins fan my whole life and if I had the opportunity today to play in the NHL but for Toronto or Montreal I'd definitely do it. But when I was 18 or 19 I could see myself being a brat about it and forcing my way somewhere else if I had the opportunity and knew I could.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Is there any actual punishment for service time shenanigans in the NHL?

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life
Something we all know: His first game in Philly will be filled with boos, chants, and lovely signs. And he will absolutely tee off on us and do a “shhh” celebration after completing his hat trick.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
I think the smartest thing to do is the Adam Fox: go to Harvard or Yale or something for three/four years to get a degree. you can get some fake rear end job for the rest of your life as a fallback just by having the bull poo poo piece of paper, everyone gets As there, and then you can pick exactly where you want to go. easy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Stack that paper, cutter.