Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Toxic Mental posted:

:siren: Mod challenge time :siren:

Person who guesses closest without going over Trump's fine for his NYC civil trial with the RACIST IG Letitia James gets a gift cert.

People who is closest while going over gets a special one-of-a-kind handmade 6er image courtesy of me.

$420 million. :420:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Count the stop.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
599 Million

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Two dollars, Bob.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Toxic Mental posted:

Person who guesses closest without going over Trump's fine for his NYC civil trial with the RACIST IG Letitia James gets a gift cert.

People who is closest while going over gets a special one-of-a-kind handmade 6er image courtesy of me.

215 million (trump roast: $1,000,000 / pound on sale at the piggly wiggly)

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

$400M

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
350 million

e: $350,000,001

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Also if you duplicate someone else's number ur probed

Also the person with the worst guess gets probed

Forgot to mention that

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
$221 Million

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I think this is an unfair evaluation. What the gently caress was a comedy show supposed to do? It did exactly what it set out to do. This is a post-2016 sentiment that seeks to remove responsibility from ourselves for being the ones who put too much on The Daily Show as a source of news and change, when it was just a cable news show designed to make you laugh and sell ads and and nothing more.

It also serves to ignore that before The Daily Show, there was no one who was taking these potshots. It was considered exhilarating just to finally have someone who wasn't living into the lie, like every other person on TV at the time was.

I think the hindsight cringe toward the daily show is related to the even worse hindsight cringe over the west wing

So many people, from newscasters and comedians to politicians, all the way down to us thought that doing the “hey get a load of this rear end in a top hat, and here is a clip of them contradicting themselves” routine would actually be salient political discourse and not just one side dismissing the other and the other side not being actually humbled by the dismissal

The establishment dems got the brainworms real bad from Aaron sorkin and decided that the real way to beat the republicans after 9/11 was gonna be through one great big speech where everybody stands up and claps and the enemy sits down and makes an upset face but does not actually do anything

Blaming the daily show for that is just kinda handwaving at an entire method of political behavior of the era that has been shown to not just be a bad way to counter the republicans, but actually was giving the Republicans the space to organize into the astroturfing of the tea party and the maga movement

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Toxic Mental posted:

Also if you duplicate someone else's number ur probed

Also the person with the worst guess gets probed

Forgot to mention that

kazil posted:

$1Trillion

This includes his BRAND which is worth many times whatever value he's actually fined so you cannot probe me. WITCH HUNT!!!

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
do we have to use dollars?

what about Donnie hats or Donnie bucks?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
He could pay any fines simply by liquidating shares of his brand's value.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
The fine fluctuates, and it goes up and down with the markets and with attitudes and with feelings, even my own feelings, but I try.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

rotinaj posted:

I think the hindsight cringe toward the daily show is related to the even worse hindsight cringe over the west wing

So many people, from newscasters and comedians to politicians, all the way down to us thought that doing the “hey get a load of this rear end in a top hat, and here is a clip of them contradicting themselves” routine would actually be salient political discourse and not just one side dismissing the other and the other side not being actually humbled by the dismissal

The establishment dems got the brainworms real bad from Aaron sorkin and decided that the real way to beat the republicans after 9/11 was gonna be through one great big speech where everybody stands up and claps and the enemy sits down and makes an upset face but does not actually do anything

Blaming the daily show for that is just kinda handwaving at an entire method of political behavior of the era that has been shown to not just be a bad way to counter the republicans, but actually was giving the Republicans the space to organize into the astroturfing of the tea party and the maga movement

exactly - in retrospect, The Daily Show was just capitalizing on a trend of the time and we were so eager to go along with it, we ate it up and naively called it resistance.

but it was just giving us exactly what we wanted to see, which was someone mocking these guys - we were the ones who convinced ourselves this counted as change, so that we wouldn't have to get up off our couches.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

withak posted:

He could pay any fines simply by liquidating shares of his brand's value.

Trump's more into liquidating sharts

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Silly Burrito posted:

Two dollars, Bob.

You bastard.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Toxic Mental posted:

$5.7 million

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Toxic Mental posted:

60m

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
How soon after closing arguments are people expecting a decision in specifically the New York trial

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Onkel Hedwig posted:

Good news everyone!

More Republican State parties are going bankrupt. I already knew about the Michigan GOP beeing broke, but there are others as well: Arizona, Minnesota, Colorado, Massachusetts, and (lol) Florida.

https://www.newsweek.com/multiple-state-republican-parties-going-broke-1858680

MA repubs are weird and in a lovely spot politically (not that I feel any sympathy for them, just saying). They can't go full mask-off MAGA because they need the in-state plausable deniability of being "good" republicans, but their not going MAGA cuts them off from some of the greater funds outside MA. Massholes are fine being racists, they just need to be deniably racist, something that they can't do if they go Full MAGA.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

exactly - in retrospect, The Daily Show was just capitalizing on a trend of the time and we were so eager to have any dissenting voices, we ate it up and naively called it resistance.

but it was just giving us exactly what we wanted to see, which was someone mocking these guys - we were the ones who convinced ourselves this counted as change, so that we wouldn't have to get up off our couches.

Now if I am gonna blame a Comedy Central tv show for anything more directly, it’s blaming South Park for making a whole generation of dumbfuck dudes default to “both sides are dumb and bad and the answer is somewhere in the middle”, which made them ripe for the picking by fashy assholes

Shishkahuben
Mar 5, 2009

Serious_Cyclone posted:

If anything I think the biggest threat to emerge from the Trump era is the GOP, having demonstrated beyond any reasonable doubt that they will throw the country into dictatorship the very second they have the leverage to do it, and there are essentially zero elements of the GOP that would put up any resistance. At least for myself, the "it won't happen here" mentality was based on a belief that the two parties are uninterested in rocking the boat enough to upset the power dynamic they already benefit from. It's clear to me now that the GOP is looking to flip this bitch over and tip us all into the water.

Not a lot we can do about it, other than to acknowledge it. Which US society still completely sucks at.

Yeah, this. The fact that trungo might be an anomaly in terms of "charisma", mass appeal, or whatever else is really secondary to the fact that Republicans are perfectly happy to throw their support behind whatever monster promises to make the libs suffer. The mask is off. Every election has become a matter of stopping the Guild of Calamitous Intent from seizing control, because when they do, they'll start thrashing until whatever was there is in bloody shreds.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
trump ain't gonna ever pay fines, he doesn't even pay his attorneys. he's gonna die from old age on his way to jail, and his stupid company will suddenly have no money to pay back anything cause it ways always a scam.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

BigglesSWE posted:

I’ve long felt that the current decline of the American empire is somewhat linked to the deteriorating climate, and the stresses that puts on a society that is wholly run on consumption. The American Dream is not sustainable for the future we’re heading towards, and I think on a subconscious level that leads a lot of people into a desperate quest for a rejection of reality. Trump and his stooges provide that rejection, albeit in a pathetically obvious way. Unfortunately, the fact that Trump can’t bullshit for poo poo doesn’t really matter when people really want to be sold diet bullshit, fake edition.

I disagree. The root of this is America is the unchallenged superpower in the world. AKA an Empire. And with an empire is money, power, fame. And since the 1950's with every cycle, more people seek that money, power, fame, more and more unchecked by morals. Replaced by greed, lust for power, to grab the ring. The Empire awaits those who can seize it.

But since the 90's, with Fox, this has also been twisted into a madhouse of propaganda and lies, radicalizing and dumbing down. Such that the current generation has been drinking from that hose for 25 years now. It's deep rooted.

And now, even as they threaten the very Empire they seek to rule, to rob, they grow ever more crazed.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Toxic Mental posted:

$305 million is my guess.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

rotinaj posted:

Now if I am gonna blame a Comedy Central tv show for anything more directly, it’s blaming South Park for making a whole generation of dumbfuck dudes default to “both sides are dumb and bad and the answer is somewhere in the middle”, which made them ripe for the picking by fashy assholes

100% with you there, it sets the stage for the 'anti-PC culture' backlash that then becomes the alt-right movement

so loving weird to live in the world where the guys who wrote Uncle Fucka had a non-zero effect on the course of history

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
put me down for 75 million

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
like, sometimes I'm still just sitting around and

THE SKY IS BLUE

AND AALLLL THE LEAVES ARE GREEN

MY HEARTS AS FULL AS A BAKED POTATAH

comes upon me

and those guys are rich and affected a whole generation of people lol

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Toxic Mental posted:

275 million.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Toxic Mental posted:

$321 million

Yveltal
Jul 19, 2022

Toxic Mental posted:

47 million

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Toxic Mental posted:

Two dollars

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

ben shapino posted:

Two dollars

Better change that one before you get probed.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

https://twitter.com/reesejgorman/status/1744836915658915881

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I think this is an unfair evaluation. What the gently caress was a comedy show supposed to do? It did exactly what it set out to do. This is a post-2016 sentiment that seeks to remove responsibility from ourselves for being the ones who put too much on The Daily Show as a source of news and change, when it was just a cable news show designed to make you laugh and sell ads and and nothing more.

"More Americans get their news from The Daily Show, than probably should."

And put me down for

$318 Million

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Hahahahah yes

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Toxic Mental posted:

20 million.

Then he will Alex Jones it up to stupid amounts because he can't keep his loving mouth shut.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Grey Cat posted:

Better change that one before you get probed.

... Three dollars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Toxic Mental posted:

Give me $269,420,000