Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Nessus posted:

I figure this is just the classic case where an epic challenge barely achievable for Batman is a diverting afternoon for Superman.

Is Superman qualified to rebuild the sewage, plumbing, and electrical system of a whole city by himself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Probably, there's a lot of home improvement work needed at a farm.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Azubah posted:

yeah but that's gonna all be amateur work, I strongly doubt he Clark Kent became a certified electrician.

You get a guy whose whole experience is fixing stuff around the house to do the electricity for a whole city, that ain't Gotham City anymore that's Grover City.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Couldn't he use super speed to get qualified in like 2 minutes.

Still better than letting checks notes supervillains run construction and maintenance

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

site posted:

Couldn't he use super speed to get qualified in like 2 minutes.

Still better than letting checks notes supervillains run construction and maintenance

It's not just a written test, you have to be an apprentice, then a journeyman. He can't do that in two minutes unless he's working with someone who is already a master electrician and also can move as fast as Superman

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

The best part about Superman is that little smirk he gives Lois when he hears a murder happen in Gotham and he chooses not to intervene.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Azubah posted:

Zdarsky is wasted on Batman when there are ideas like this to pursue.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Welp, another Titans series, another dead Titan. Another fresh new move from DC.

Xelkelvos posted:

But given that there were two Bat characters on the team, it was always gonna have at least one issue regarding Batman.

Yeah I was gonna say, you can't have a team that's 2/3rds Bat-folks and be surprised when Batman shows up.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jan 10, 2024

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Also, all iterations of The Outsiders have been defacto Batman team books right? He's like the founder of the group I think.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Of the original Outsiders, yes. It ran through a few volumes, mostly without him, before it was just more not-Justice League in the early 90's and got cancelled until Dick Grayson started it up again after the death of Donna Troy.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It wasn't really that batman showed up, it was that we're only on issue 3 and we're spending it inside the mind of Batman being told that he's dark and apparently we're getting set up for another multiverse Batman war. Like, great, exciting. So much for Planetary

site fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jan 10, 2024

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Regarding NML I think Supes was trying to help out but it was shown that it was just a band aid solution. He would bring food and the food would get stolen and sold on the black market. That kind of thing (again memory is fuzzy). Bats explained that even though the criminals were out it was more of a controlled chaos where Batman can "work" with the criminals to help Gotham in some kind of dystopian way. Clark eventually agreed with Bruce.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

X-O posted:

Also, all iterations of The Outsiders have been defacto Batman team books right? He's like the founder of the group I think.

Basically, but in one of them Alfred was in charge. He'd be a great 4th man.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

site posted:

It wasn't really that batman showed up, it was that we're only on issue 3 and we're spending it inside the mind of Batman being told that he's dark and apparently we're getting set up for another multiverse Batman war. Like, great, exciting. So much for Planetary

Not his mind, but some strange extra-dimensional space in the Bleed connected to his concept. It's why there's a connected Batwoman space and why Duke shows up.

Presumably there's a less hosed up Superman space too as an antipole given him similarly impacting mythos

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Had a weird parallel with the current by Failsafe with the other Zur-En-Arrh...es?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Reading the William Messner-Loeb run of Wonder Woman and holy poo poo this space pirate bit is bad rear end. She tattoos her symbol on a space slaver.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Air Skwirl posted:

Reading the William Messner-Loeb run of Wonder Woman and holy poo poo this space pirate bit is bad rear end. She tattoos her symbol on a space slaver.

Is it before or after she works for the taco fast food place?

It's not even a slam. Messner-Loebs liked for the character to go a variety of places.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Air Skwirl posted:

The Wonder Woman space pirate stuff owns.

(Then you find out it happened to get her off Earth so she wouldn't be there for the Doomsday / Death of Superman stuff, and oops.)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Vandar posted:

The Wonder Woman space pirate stuff owns.

(Then you find out it happened to get her off Earth so she wouldn't be there for the Doomsday / Death of Superman stuff, and oops.)

I mean, the other option is Doomsday beats the poo poo out of her too, reading it decades later I don't have a problem with that. Comics aren't a documentary, they wanted to kill Superman (to postpone his wedding with Louis so there would be media synergy the the Adventures of Louis and Clark TV show), so it's not like Wonder Woman being there would have changed the outcome of the fight.

Edit: I meant I don't have a problem with Wonder Woman being shuffled off to space so she's not around for Doomsday.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jan 15, 2024

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Air Skwirl posted:

I mean, the other option is Doomsday beats the poo poo out of her too, reading it decades later I don't have a problem with that. Comics aren't a documentary, they wanted to kill Superman (to postpone his wedding with Louis so there would be media synergy the the Adventures of Louis and Clark TV show), so it's not like Wonder Woman being there would have changed the outcome of the fight.

Edit: I meant I don't have a problem with Wonder Woman being shuffled off to space so she's not around for Doomsday.

Can't believe DC was so pro gay marriage in the 90s

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Matt Groening wanted Comic Book Guy’s real name to be Louis Lane.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Air Skwirl posted:

Yeah, it’s just funny to me. I’ve never read the actual Death of Superman story so all these years I thought all the big names were there (mostly because DC has always acted like they were), but no, they went out of their way to make sure no one of note would be there.

The funniest one imo is the Teen Titans who were on loving vacation at the time.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Why is Jay fighting Doom 2099?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Joe Fisto posted:

Why is Jay fighting Doom 2099?

It is not for you to understand DOOM's reasons, fool

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Superman Lost did not stick the landing.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

I don't even understand what happened in that last issue.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Someone thought they were being very clever with space time.

Maybe it was a meta narrative look into how aimless the plot was.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
It was so dull, and so pointless.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
The spoiler gets pregnant plot sucks

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
There's just...something about Tom King's dialogues that sets my teeth on edge even at the best of times, and that might just my personal biased cross to bear, 'cuz this issue of WW had a bunch of honestly really good moments.

:3:

I only have a few nitpicks this time!

I don't mind that the plot is slow, since there is technically a lot of stuff that happens every issue, and anyway we're all by now aware of King's less compressed style that usually does lead somewhere substantial...eventually. But still. Two issues ago we found out the renegade Amazon Emelie is pregnant and it really hasn't factored into anything. We haven't even seen Emilie in the present day since issue 1. In the meantime WW herself is...I mean, it's certainly important to take sick kids on vacation and pwn Donna at Injustice and stuff, but there's just this sense of us losing the actual thread of the story in a "Well, let's hope this reads better in the trade?" kind of way. Kind of like in his Supergirl where every issue felt like the characters faffing about the galaxy doing everything except the actual plot, but then kind of...sort of...maybe...eventually wrapped things up in an okay way.

Really glad that King is keen on making WW's rogues seem cool and feels genuinely respectful of them in a way that not every writer does. Not glad that we're using the Robinson incarnation of Silver Swan, which to this day, still feels like a personal driven insult against Perez fans. But at the same time, I don't know what else King could have done, 'cuz...unless we do yet another reboot, that's just kind of the character at this point. I know that Vanessa technically got redeemed the last time we saw her, but that happened in such an obscure offhanded way in some random obscure annual side-story that even I don't remember where exactly that issue was. King usually does villains pretty well, so I'm hoping he finds a way to have Vanessa here that doesn't feel tainted by the Robinson stuff.

This one's not so much a nitpick but a big ol' question mark: King is continuing to divest Diana of the Zeus stuff, which is spectacular; in this issue he specifically reiterates that Cassie gets her powers from Zeus and Diana doesn't. But then he goes on to imply that Diana gets her super-strength from......Hippolyta?? Which has...never been a thing. Hippolyta never had super-strength. I mean, she does now, now that she's a god, and she's even giving Mary Marvel her strength, but this all happened, like, last summer. Where did Diana get her strength from before that, Tom King?? Like, I'm glad you got rid of the bad option, but instead of going back to the original good option, we're now getting a secret third option that makes even less sense!

If I had to guess: King is fond of the pre-Crisis tagline for WW, which is that she had, quote, "the beauty of Aphrodite, the wisdom of Athena, the strength of Hercules and the speed of Mercury." It was her version of the "speeding bullet, locomotive etc etc" thing, and was mostly figurative in the golden age, but became literal in the silver age, and then revamped in post-Crisis to exclude Hercules for obvious reasons and include Demeter, Artemis, and Hestia. King probably liked the original tagline enough that he wanted to keep it around, and understood why they should swap out Hercules, but didn't understand why super-strength would come from Demeter. Which, to be fair, was kind of a roundabout process even under Perez; Demeter gave Diana the strength of Gaea, through proxy I guess. And there's actually mythological precedent for that. But King probably just wanted to cut out the middle-women so is now just putting Hippolyta in Hercules' place, which is fitting for a myriad of reasons...but unfortunately just fully doesn't make any sense no matter what continuity we go with. :xd:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Didn't Hippolyta always have super strength. I thought amazons in general were just way the gently caress stronger than the rest of the world. Like, Wonder Woman is the strongest Amazon, but in the way Nightwing is the best acrobat among normal humans, not in the way Flash is the fastest man on earth.

I know Wonder Woman has more retcons than pretty much any other character of her status, but also, wasn't Hippolyta Wonder Woman for a bit while Diana was dead or injured or trapped in a parallel dimension or something?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
So in the Golden Age, all the Amazons were strong due to their special Amazons lifestyle and training. Diana was the best Amazon of the Amazons, but she didn't have special powers that they didn't, other than her special gear.

In the Silver Age, the gods blessed Diana with special gifts at her birth, including strength and speed. It's not super clear how strong the rest of the Amazons were, though they definitely didn't have Diana's super-strength. Hippolyta taught Diana how to glide on air currents (????) somehow, but otherwise she also didn't have any special powers.

In post-Crisis, it's also not clear how strong the Amazons are, although we see them getting killed by ordinary humans from time to time, and again Diana was specifically blessed by the gods at birth so she's definitely way stronger than they are (like, this is the era where Diana starts to be seen to be as strong as Superman). Hippolyta, again, has no special powers other than her training. When she acts as Wonder Woman, she sometimes uses special gear like the Gauntlets of Atlas and the Boots of Hermes to have strength and flight. Artemis and Cassie also used these periodically in the 90s.

In the 2000s, Judd Winnick creates the character Grace Choi in his Outsiders book, and she has super-strength, and it's eventually revealed that she's descended from the Amazons, specifically the Bana-Mighdall tribe. But this makes no sense, because not only did the original Amazons not have super-strength, the Bana-Mighdall aren't even the special ones who had immortality. Today the ranks of the Bana are made up mostly of mortal women, like Artemis, who joined their ranks. Notably, Grace has hardly ever appeared in any WW books, even in recent times when there's been a bigger focus than ever on Amazons and Amazon-adjacent characters. This might be because it's real hard to square away the fact that she's supposed to have powers because she's half-Amazon...except that even full Amazons don't have powers. So most writers just don't try.

tl;dr The idea that the Amazons are special superhumans is mostly reader misconception that hasn't been true since, like, the 1950s. Even in the past few months we've see them getting their asses kicked by the Birds of Prey. If they have any physical enhancements, it's slight enough that it functionally makes no difference to anything. Diana and the Wonder Girls have always been the only ones who have actual superpowers like strength and speed.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jan 20, 2024

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

BrianWilly posted:

There's just...something about Tom King's dialogues that sets my teeth on edge even at the best of times, and that might just my personal biased cross to bear, 'cuz this issue of WW had a bunch of honestly really good moments.

There was a whole Twitter thread last week about how Yara is using bad random Google translate Portuguese so King's dialogue is definitely a Thing. Also I never recall her talking that formally in general.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Just suffered through danger street
King is the problem

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I keep saying this but people don't listen.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Was Hippolyta still the golden age Wonder Woman? I don’t even know how the World War Two heroes even work in this incarnation of the DC universe.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Open Marriage Night posted:

Was Hippolyta still the golden age Wonder Woman? I don’t even know how the World War Two heroes even work in this incarnation of the DC universe.

I think the concept of a Golden Age WW has been quietly retconned away in this new iteration. The only ones still around are Jay Garrick and Alan Scott with the bullshit explanation being "uhhhhh our powers mean we age different because something something Speed Force/Starheart"

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
I'll have you know Something Something Speed Force is the backbone of modern Flash storytelling.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Two Tone Shoes posted:

I'll have you know Something Something Speed Force is the backbone of modern Flash storytelling.

Hey now, Flash had one of his greatest runs ever where every story just boiled down to "Wally runs fast and loves Linda." The recent really good run brought that back with "runs fast and loves Linda and also his kids now."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Dawgstar posted:

Hey now, Flash had one of his greatest runs ever where every story just boiled down to "Wally runs fast and loves Linda." The recent really good run brought that back with "runs fast and loves Linda and also his kids now."

I mean that's literally the only reason the Speed Force exists so there you go.

It wasn't until Barry came back that the Speed Force turned into this joke catchall, really. Classic case of taking something from Wally, giving it to Barry, and it becoming instantly and catastrophically worse.