Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

deoju posted:

It was great for their brand recognition. You can't buy that kind of publicity!

egon_beeblebrox posted:

- Peter Venkman, Stay-Puft marketing executive, January 1985

A different Bill Murray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Disco Pope posted:

Even if I accept that the events of the first two films somehow got memoryholed, surely a brand in the 80s would be cagey about their mascot after it was embodied by an elder god and tore a streak of destruction across New York?

The idea that something like this *could* be memory-holed is one of the most cynical and hilarious aspects of the sequels. 9/11 changed world geopolitics, and that was all very explainable in a political or material sense. The idea that an even larger catastrophe, that also proves the existence of the divine, is now obscure knowledge 40 years on is ridiculous.

I appreciated this aspect of Pacific Rim, where the kaiju have literal cults and things, have spawned entire industries, because yeah…that’d happen.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Being fronted by the most Nicolas Cage-rear end Ron Perlman performance certainly doesn't hurt.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Xealot posted:

The idea that something like this *could* be memory-holed is one of the most cynical and hilarious aspects of the sequels. 9/11 changed world geopolitics, and that was all very explainable in a political or material sense. The idea that an even larger catastrophe, that also proves the existence of the divine, is now obscure knowledge 40 years on is ridiculous.

I appreciated this aspect of Pacific Rim, where the kaiju have literal cults and things, have spawned entire industries, because yeah…that’d happen.

tbf even by GB2 everyone was like "eh it was a big publicity stunt by those con artists!" so if you're going by in-universe logic then unless the fight with Vigo caused a big re-evaluation of the original event, the Stay Puft brand donating to the relief effort and maybe rebranding for a few years was probably enough to get everyone to foget

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

The cleanup after gb2 must have been a hell of an ordeal. Even if they were able to walk the Statue of Liberty back the same way the took it for a stroll in the first place the harbor authority has to deal with a hundred year old cruise ship with a big fuckoff hole in the middle.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

8one6 posted:

The cleanup after gb2 must have been a hell of an ordeal. Even if they were able to walk the Statue of Liberty back the same way the took it for a stroll in the first place the harbor authority has to deal with a hundred year old cruise ship with a big fuckoff hole in the middle.

They have one of those in Long Beach California, without the hole. It's called the Queen Mary and it's a museum and tourist attraction, does very well as far as I know.

poo poo, I myself would pay to get a walking tour of the actual Titanic!

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
fuck off worms butthole guy!!!
Wait I thought the Noid was retired because he was part of the ad campaign about how delivery drivers "avoid the noid" and get pizza to your house in minutes which was causing alot of automobile accidents involving delivery drivers. At least thats the story I was told.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

No, it was due to the man with mental problems.

The “30 minutes or it’s free” campaign was stopped due to increased risk of accidents.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

They have one of those in Long Beach California, without the hole. It's called the Queen Mary and it's a museum and tourist attraction, does very well as far as I know.

poo poo, I myself would pay to get a walking tour of the actual Titanic!

This is the kind of poo poo that Frozen Empire could show as some world building in the background but it definitely won't.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Guy A. Person posted:

tbf even by GB2 everyone was like "eh it was a big publicity stunt by those con artists!" so if you're going by in-universe logic then unless the fight with Vigo caused a big re-evaluation of the original event, the Stay Puft brand donating to the relief effort and maybe rebranding for a few years was probably enough to get everyone to foget

Yeah, it was pretty ridiculous in GB2, as well. The NYC metro area had about 15M people in it circa 1984, and even if the events of GB1 were localized to Manhattan, there was a weeks-to-months-long period of constant ghost encounters experienced by millions of people. Punctuated by massive earthquakes, evil black clouds over Central Park, and a building-sized monster who killed hundreds or thousands of people in the UWS before exploding into marshmallow.

Though, yeah, if it happened in the modern era, there'd be an entire YouTube ecosystem overnight full of gaslighters explaining how Big Pedophile funded putting hallucinogens in the water supply and here's the interview they don't want you to see with Ghostbuster skeptic Walter Peck and actually it was all a globalist psyop to distract us so they can dismantle 2A and castrate our kids and that bitch Dana Barrett is a crisis actor who's also trans and a communist so wake up patriots.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Basically any movie storyline from the past that involves the public being as gullible as a 3 year old or having the the memory of a goldfish looks a lot better after the last several years that we've all experienced.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It's bananas to me how few people have internalized that.

"[Thing that is absolutely happening right the gently caress now and has been for at least the last seven years] would never happen" is a post I see with far more regularity than I should.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I was under the impression the Titanic itself was a ghost. In addition to all the ghost passengers.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Basebf555 posted:

Basically any movie storyline from the past that involves the public being as gullible as a 3 year old or having the the memory of a goldfish looks a lot better after the last several years that we've all experienced.

Yeah. I mean people are still trying to pretend they're not in a pandemic even now.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah. I mean people are still trying to pretend they're not in a pandemic even now.

Is it pretending if the vast majority of the population acts like it isn't and isn't affected by recurring cases of covid?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

PneumonicBook posted:

Is it pretending if the vast majority of the population acts like it isn't and isn't affected by recurring cases of covid?

According to the World Health Organization saying it's still a thing as of, like, last week so yes.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

PneumonicBook posted:

Not that I enjoy this derail, but I roll my eyes when I hear about someone (irl or online) who will toss around many reasons why they're 'sick as a dog', yet none of those reasons involves the potential for it being covid. "It must be my allergies." "I heard RSV is going around...". "It's just a regular cold that I got from the child of the ex wife of my brother in law."

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

OldSenileGuy posted:

I was under the impression the Titanic itself was a ghost. In addition to all the ghost passengers.

Pretty sure it was. Doesn't it have the gigantic hole in the hull?

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
What the gently caress is the Titanic?

You see, I, like a normal person, don't remember seismic historical events like maritime catastrophes or sustained supernatural disturbances (twice).

People still talk about the Enfield poltergeist or tye Amityville House, so I think they'd still talk about the time New York almost fell into Hell.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I feel like Ghostbusters could have a crossover with Hellraiser and it could be made to fit

Venkman playing off a serious Pinhead declaring all kinds of scary poo poo

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Disco Pope posted:

What the gently caress is the Titanic?

You see, I, like a normal person, don't remember seismic historical events like maritime catastrophes or sustained supernatural disturbances (twice).

People still talk about the Enfield poltergeist or tye Amityville House, so I think they'd still talk about the time New York almost fell into Hell.
They do. It's in Afterlife.

It should be a bigger deal to more people, and it's ridiculous that the franchise keeps pulling that move, sure, but people on Youtube absolutely still talk about the Ghostbusters in canon.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

My late granddad believed that the Twin Towers didn't actually exist by the time he died. So people pretending Stay Puft never happened would happen in a second.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I don"t really think that's what the OP meant, but I'm guessing here. Seems their complaint is more "nobody remembers" and not "people still deny it."

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

COVID is a lot different from a giant marshmallow entity walking the streets of the largest city in the US. And in the sequels it's not that some portion of the country doesn't accept it happened it's the residents of the city not accepting it happened. Sure there are 9/11 Truthers but most of the metropolitan area isn't composed of them.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah the situation here is that Stay Puft, Gozer, the ghost infestations of NYC, the walking Statue of Liberty and Vigo all got memoryholed and only a few weirdoes remember any of that stuff, and even if youngsters are into that kind of thing they still haven't heard about it for some reason. Phoebe's classmate Podcast is obsessed with conspiracies and the paranormal and had absolutely no idea about the Ghostbusters at all.

Of course all this was just a forced plot device so Phoebe could organically discover her grandfather's secrets over the first half of the movie and be amazed and astounded by all this mysterious stuff. There was a whole lot of elements in the movie's plot which was awkwardly crammed in there for effect (the other GBs hating Egon, etc) because the scriptwriters wanted the characters to go through a certain arc but wasn't sure how to get there properly, it was just shoddy writing.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Ghostbusters 1 is canonically a fictional movie made about the Real Ghostbusters - but that presumably-more-accurate version is, of course, presented to us in the form of an exaggerated cartoon show.

We consequently don't know what actually happened in New York, since we're only shown a sort of propagandized version - and that, later, the filmmakers felt compelled to address the actual Ghostbusters' PR woes when they're washed-up celebrities dismissed as frauds only a few years later.

So, we're left to conclude that the events of Ghostbusters 1 were not actually that impressive, if they even happened at all.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Memory and conspiracy stuff aside, one of the smart things about the first movie is establishing that the existence of the Ghostbusters is tied to the slow build-up of supernatural activity thanks to Ivo Shandor. Without Shandor there isn't enough to sustain the continued adventures of Ghostbusters. Where GB2 and Frozen Empire break from this is saying no no, we can do sequels, there are a bunch of evil artifacts that will conveniently keep ending up in New York City, don't worry.

I don't know if the cartoon ever explained it (and you can laugh at me wondering) but they obviously dealt with big supernatural stuff all the time and I don't know if we were meant to think that kind of stuff had always been happening or if something changed. Like maybe the events of the 1st movie permanently increased the level of supernatural stuff.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jan 9, 2024

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I just remember that when Mr Grooberson shows the kids the Youtube video there's a bunch of related videos about the Ghostbusters in the side bar, including one by Adam Savage and one by comedy writer Megan Amram which had over 2 million views. The top one is a conspiracy video about Shandorians running the government with over 500,000 views

Lobok posted:

I don't know if the cartoon ever explained it (and you can laugh at me wondering) but they obviously dealt with big supernatural stuff all the time and I don't know if we were meant to think that kind of stuff had always been happening or if something changed. Like maybe the events of the 1st movie permanently increased the level of supernatural stuff.

They mention in Afterlife that there hasn't been any ghosts sightings for 30 years

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Yeah the events of GB1 and GB2 are confined entirely to New York and everything goes back to baseline after; much like the Berlin Wall coming down it meant a lot to people affected by it and was not much more than an interesting news item and touchstone moment to everyone else.

It is fun to speculate on just how much of an impact those events made, but as somebody with kids who lived through a "Never Forget" experience: they forgot, big time, and we're only 20 years on from that.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They mention in Afterlife that there hasn't been any ghosts sightings for 30 years

Just to be clear, I was wondering if the cartoon ever explained why in the cartoon stuff was always happening. But like SMG said, the cartoon was supposed to be its own continuity and it treated the first movie as an adaptation that existed in the world of the cartoon that the characters saw and didn't particularly like. So it could have been easy to say that in the world of the cartoon, lots of supernatural stuff happening was just always the baseline and movie made things more rare for its own purposes in its story.

In the movie universe, to us, things are clearly rare. Before Frozen Empire because we had two movies related to Shandor and Gozer and one movie with an evil artifact. Now with Frozen Empire and the studio's sequel ambitions, significant events will obviously have to be more frequent I doubt they will ever mention or lampshade this new normal.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 9, 2024

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

No one forgot 9/11 though. It's still part of the culture even if it's been regulated to a dark joke. Even kids who weren't alive during it know what happened.

Idk why they memoryholed the whole experience. They didn't have too? Ghosts are real. They haunted New York, and then stopped. This put the GB out of business, and Egon went awol or whatever, and broke up with everyone (which is also stupid but whatever)

pretending it didn't happen is really really stupid.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

They basically memoryholed GB1 in GB2. If it was OK then it was more than OK in Afterlife.

There is so much leeway for people not believing Staypuft/Statue of Liberty walk didn't happen. Many people don't believe the holocaust or the moon landings didn't happen. Millions of people think the world is flat. This is not a plot hole

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It wasn't ok in 2 it's one of the major issues with the movie and an excuse to do a retread.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Are we using the right word here? The 2nd movie never says people forgot or didn't know about the events of 1, but that it was all blamed on the Ghostbusters and we're meant to infer the number of people who know the truth is vanishingly small. If most people assume that the events of 1 were not an interdimensional cross-rip but just a laser lightshow with explosives then yeah eventually people would move on. Stay-Puft only travelled like, a few blocks maybe?

The events of 2 might be harder to explain with the Statue of Liberty but I suppose it could be a new and improved version of the same trick as Stay-Puft especially if they were thought to use hallucinogenic gases on people.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Groovelord Neato posted:

It wasn't ok in 2 it's one of the major issues with the movie and an excuse to do a retread.

Yep. 2 stinks.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
If we're taking modern kids' reactions to 9/11 into account, there would be an upsetting amount of Stay Puft footage deepfaked with Shrek's face and set to All Star.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The thing about 9/11 humour is it's taking something intensely serious and grim and making it absurd but the end of Ghostbusters 1 was already there. It would be hard to treat the day's events as serious and grim if a Macy's Day parade balloon somehow broke free and went Godzilla on people. You'd be watching the Chief of Police on TV going "...and once Charlie Brown saw the bus full of Sex & the City tour patrons, he --defying all our preconceived notions of him-- he punted the bus into the East River."

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Fingers crossed, but guaranteed Frozen Empire doesn't have a scene that funny.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire release date bumped up one week to 3/22/2024.
https://deadline.com/2024/01/ghostbusters-frozen-empire-release-date-1235700558/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Lobok posted:

Just to be clear, I was wondering if the cartoon ever explained why in the cartoon stuff was always happening. But like SMG said, the cartoon was supposed to be its own continuity and it treated the first movie as an adaptation that existed in the world of the cartoon that the characters saw and didn't particularly like. So it could have been easy to say that in the world of the cartoon, lots of supernatural stuff happening was just always the baseline and movie made things more rare for its own purposes in its story.

In the movie universe, to us, things are clearly rare. Before Frozen Empire because we had two movies related to Shandor and Gozer and one movie with an evil artifact. Now with Frozen Empire and the studio's sequel ambitions, significant events will obviously have to be more frequent I doubt they will ever mention or lampshade this new normal.

In The Real Ghostbusters, all mythological stuff happened and it was pretty much part of life, while still swept under the rug in the mainstream. There were some early efforts at ghost containment; the Eiffel Tower is actually just a giant ghost containment unit, for instance. Or a gremlin sunk the Titanic. But nothing super widespread.

Egon is even more of a supergenius in the cartoon and he basically perfected portable ghost containment just when Gozer was starting stuff. He got kickstarted because he was attacked by The Boogieman as a kid. They kept on with consistent business now that there were people around that could actually do something about the ghosts and they never disbanded. Vigo was basically a Tuesday for them (he was said to be pretty "whatever" in the show).

Darko fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jan 10, 2024