Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

BabyRyoga posted:

This sort of logic is indeed a big contributor to why the match maker sucks. "It isn't a huge deal" or, they are "only ruining 5 games" or 10 games, or 20 games, etc. is making light of fact that they are RUINING that number of games. You said it yourself, they go 39/40 wins. So what about the 39 x 5 = nearly 200 players who had games, once again RUINED by that player?

How many tens or even hundreds of thousands of players do you think have quit the game at this point because the match maker blows a donkey dong? I assure you the revenue stream they get from people obtaining new accounts to smurf on is much less than the number of people they could be making money from if they had not quit due to various factors contributing to the game being bad. If anything, it would be a bigger loss for content creators who thrive because a large part of their content revolves around doing 1-2 unranked to GMs every season.

Sorry, im equating fresh accounts with smurfing accounts. Smurfing as in just to pub stomp at a lower level is gross and they should be banned immediately, full stop.

Making a new account and playing it, and being better than gen pop, is not something that should be banned. Those dudes doing unranked to GM on fresh accounts, are going to quickly get out of the ranks they shouldn't be in by winning.

Sloppy posted:

Seems like they could easily fix the smurf problem by selling Overwatch at a retail price just like OW1 rather than this FTP/GAAS steaming horseshit.
That didn't stop legit smurfs before so why would it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt
If it’s already basically pay to play/enjoy, just charge people to register accounts. That will cut down/out the smurfs.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Rawrbomb posted:

It's like how there is still shitposting on SA even with the registration fee but if you go to a free site like Reddit it's a million times worse.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Rawrbomb posted:

Sorry, im equating fresh accounts with smurfing accounts. Smurfing as in just to pub stomp at a lower level is gross and they should be banned immediately, full stop.

Making a new account and playing it, and being better than gen pop, is not something that should be banned. Those dudes doing unranked to GM on fresh accounts, are going to quickly get out of the ranks they shouldn't be in by winning.

The way that content creators get accounts to smurf for their unranked to GM series videos is akin to making a new account. Sometimes they probably even just make new accounts. There's no reason for them to do it, period.

Other games such as Dota 2 even have started instantly banning (within 1 or 2 games, the system auto bans high MMR players who make alt accounts) new accounts. Why should people just be able to make new accounts for no reason? It literally serves no purpose.

Like I said previously, it doesn't matter if it takes only 10 games before they get to Master; that's 10 plat and diamond games that have been ruined which equates to potentially 50 players having a bad experience. Also, players who are good enough to actually just do unranked to GM willy nilly like that are typically top 500 players, which means even in master and GM lobbies, they are technically ruining dozens more games before they are where they should be.

It's all just pointless. Smurfing is smurfing, and it should have been banned years ago. In OW1 times, even.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
Mauga and Hog nerfs! So that's good!

Ana nade nerfed another .5 secs. Unnecessary but... well, whatever.

Kiriko and Baptiste nerfs: Nothing! They're fine lololol

Orisa infinite range and Fortify buffs! Because what the gently caress:?

Sojourn buff! Because WHAT the gently caress are you SMOKING blizzard

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

SadisTech posted:

Ana nade nerfed another .5 secs. Unnecessary but... well, whatever.

Ana is the punching bag for more systemic issues, and she's just going to get nerfed into uselessness patch by patch.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Jack Trades posted:

It's understandable why you came to that conclusion if that's your understanding of the matchmaking system.

lol if you think its significantly different from every other matchmaker out there.

comedyblissoption posted:

smurfs (the ones looking for pubstomps) decrease the fairness of games to inflate one person's ego. people are much more likely to be okay with a loss if it was close than if it was a stomp.

some games take the matter seriously like valorant b/c they value player retention:
https://playvalorant.com/en-us/news/dev/valorant-systems-health-series-smurf-detection/

i would not be surprised if overwatch already has a bunch of these anti-smurf measures in place.

something interesting to note here is that the valorant blog places stomps naturally occuring in about 1/6th the games, although valorant also has some significant snowball mechanics.

Overwatch's anti smurf measures were just "we'll kick your MMR up to about masters" but they seem to have dialled that back a ton. Last time i did a run it took much longer to hit GM.

The stomp thing is interesting, although i truly think OW's problem is that if one of your players gives up after the first fight (which happens a lot) you just can't compensate for it, even if you're popping off unless you're doing it on say, hanzo/widow/genji and cutting down the enemy teams players before they can get healed to full in 0.2s or whatever.

In valorant, even though its got some ability snowball, you still can just dome everyone each round to get people back in the game.

Rawrbomb posted:

It did cut it down, which was better. But blizz won't make money that way because lol who the gently caress is buying overwatch in 2024

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Ok, so basically just slap fights over the meta and balancing.

SpeakSlow fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jan 10, 2024

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

SpeakSlow posted:

Ok, so basically just slap fights over the meta and balancing.

Same as it ever was.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Everybody will passively heal like Support classes do starting in s9.

https://overwatch.blizzard.com/en-us/news/24053284/
https://twitter.com/OWCavalry/status/1745883910913786111?t=ZvjrZ_u350QjL5oGRsKTeA&s=19

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I haven’t played Overwatch in a long time but that seems bad..?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

If I gave a little more of a poo poo I would've went back like a year ago to find the post where I joked about them turning everyone into Soldier 76.

Truly life imitates art.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

"We believe that teamwork in Overwatch makes it truly unique. Which is why we're removing as much of it as we can. Gather round the trough."

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
They're adding passive healing to a game thats 40% healers?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
rip the timeless experience of some healer getting mad at you and refusing to heal because you 'passive aggressively used the 'i need healing' button at me'

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

If they want to make an arena shooter.. why not just make an arena shooter? Why do this to a game that people already liked to play? OW players aren’t magically gonna become CoD-folk?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Sandwolf posted:

If they want to make an arena shooter.. why not just make an arena shooter? Why do this to a game that people already liked to play? OW players aren’t magically gonna become CoD-folk?

It's not the first game to get ruined trying to chase after the CoD audience and it won't be the last.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Herstory Begins Now posted:

rip the timeless experience of some healer getting mad at you and refusing to heal because you 'passive aggressively used the 'i need healing' button at me'

I wish we still had medals, we could experience the pure bliss of Genji finally getting the gold for healing.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Oh good they're stealing more good ideas from Paladins.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

No Wave posted:

They're adding passive healing to a game thats 40% healers?

i think the goal is to lessen the overall importance of supports so that losing one or getting a lovely one doesn't have an outsized impact on your ability to teamfight, since you can at least duck behind a corner and regen instead of having to go medkit hunting for 30 seconds

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Spanish Matlock posted:

Oh good they're stealing more good ideas from Paladins.

I guess we should put in the paperwork for a thread title edit. Can we strikeout TF2?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

this is so loving stupid

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
that official blizz blog post it links to is one of the worst written things i've ever read. it's like 1200 words of buzzwords to say 'new mmo style team ui' and 'players self-heal now'

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Did the HotS team join in and push for more MOBA elements?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Everyone's been complaining about healing being overtuned, so in response they... give everyone healing. Thus pushing support's focus more onto their utility, which is the OTHER thing everyone's been complaining about. What the gently caress is the point of being support?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

it's fine and opens up more flanking plays

the bigger change is actually a team healthbar overlay so it's much easier for supports to realize the teammate behind them is low health. this makes frontal damage even worse and massively buffs support healing. however, something like this should be in the game so it's easier to play with silent teammates.

the biggest problem in the game is still healing easily overpowering gradual damage.

the finals has a mercy heal beam ability and the raw dps and healing numbers are actually similar to soldier 76 shooting at a mercy pocket. but, since the finals does not have instant cockroach acceleration like in overwatch and movespeeds are much slower in a duel, someone getting pocketed does not feel nearly as oppressive. it's usually the better choice to shoot instead of pocket someone if you can.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
everything about the finals is basically just overwatch but designed by people with a clue how FPS works

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
Surely they'll turn down the amount healed by supports now too?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

comedyblissoption posted:

it's fine and opens up more flanking plays

tracer main spotted

Aexo posted:

Surely they'll turn down the amount healed by supports now too?

sure do love to have the identity of a role increasingly muddied

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Herstory Begins Now posted:

everything about the finals is basically just overwatch but designed by people with a clue how FPS works

the finals is fun and kind of unique, but it has plenty of issues of its own

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Not having to patch up every boo-boo the DPS gets is a QoL change. If you’re out of combat long enough to regenerate the fight is either over or your team is going to lose it because you’re not participating. DPS aren’t supports, they can’t line of sight the enemy for 20 seconds and contribute to a team fight at the same time unless they’re a Pharah or Junkman with a good angle.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

bring back symm's shield generator you cowards

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Is Blizzard taking any steps to prevent passive self-heal for all classes from becoming another win-more snowball mechanic, or is pushing the enemy off a point after losing a fight going to be even harder than it already is? Seems especially bad in modes with a lot of down time like Push.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Yeah reducing a little downtime between fights and patching up chip damage is not going to break the game. People freaked out when Hammond got barrier HP but it turned out to be fine. If you're sitting out waiting for regen then you're not in the fight and effectively dead anyway.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Inept posted:

the finals is fun and kind of unique, but it has plenty of issues of its own

they just gutted controller aim assist

also I am dead serious that it is very much OW but designed from the ground up to be an fps rather than an mmorpg or a moba-lite

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
This Quicker Play mode is garbage dogshit and they've locked it in for the whole weekend.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I'm conflicted about the support passive thing BC on one hand I won't have to constantly try to patch up genji or pharah on insane flanks but on the other hand poke and brawl dps/tanks are going to be even less aggressive now at low ranks

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Holy poo poo I hate the quicker play changes too. They're actually not bad on Push, but every other mode is awful and just exacerbates how bad the snowball problem is. Especially on Control, if you lose the first fight you pretty much cannot come back. On Payload it's very funny because the final caps become impossible to complete because respawns are so fast.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
I bet it'll be similar to the small amount of healing the payload provides. I really don't think it'll be that big of deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker

novaSphere posted:

Holy poo poo I hate the quicker play changes too. They're actually not bad on Push, but every other mode is awful and just exacerbates how bad the snowball problem is. Especially on Control, if you lose the first fight you pretty much cannot come back. On Payload it's very funny because the final caps become impossible to complete because respawns are so fast.

I’m honestly worried that I won’t get to try out Quicker Play this weekend. Busier than expected. CTF Blitz is my favorite Arcade Mode and all of this sounds like Quick Play Blitz.

Payload being hard to cap at the end just sounds like 2CP, lol.