Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

tokin opposition posted:

"it's worse but it makes us more money!!" is not a selling point

Tell that to Ubiquiti, y'all remember this loving gem?

https://store.ui.com/us/en/products/uvc-ai-dslr

AI!!! (basic object detection)

DSLR!!!!! (it's a loving zoom lens)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Reoxygenation posted:

is everyone in management content with just eating whatever Microsoft throws at them? Realizing that I've never really seen anyone push back on Microsoft or their pricing... bitching about quality, yes, but never really push back on cutting licenses / seats on products? I'll admit I don't exactly have extensive experience to speak on this, but it does feel weird to think about

what are you going to do, argue to one of the most valuable companies in the world that they should include more basic security functions in their entry level subscriptions?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Cenodoxus posted:

Tell that to Ubiquiti, y'all remember this loving gem?

https://store.ui.com/us/en/products/uvc-ai-dslr

AI!!! (basic object detection)

DSLR!!!!! (it's a loving zoom lens)

You mean it doesn't click literally constantly? Could you imagine how quickly you'd wear out a mechanical shutter filming 24/7.. I mean.. you could, I think my camera does about 9 FPS in burst mechanical mode, don't know how fast the fastest ones are

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 9, 2024

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
Zoom making the decision to just get everyone back in the office.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Why does a CCTV camera have a glowing blue ring

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Thanks Ants posted:

Zoom jacking their prices up is just going to lead to C-levels deciding everybody can make do with Teams. Microsoft's predatory bundling practises win again.
For us we can just use Google Meets internally. It was kinda funny, when I first brought it up I got groans and insistence we test it RIGHT NOW ... and everyone on the call was pleasantly surprised.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I hope as many companies as possible get onto the AI hype train and make the term completely meaningless so we can go back to how it was before

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Cyks posted:

My take in this situation is to block the account and create a new one, and migrate files and forward emails. I guess it depends on how dead the person wants their old name but the previous name lingers around too much everywhere.

It also happens so rarely that it isn’t a problem to take the additional time. I’ve personally never had to do it yet.

Not trans, but that seems like a good idea. My ex's deadname was still on a couple of her tech things despite her having every reason to change it and with how many systems have settings outside SSO that would display an old name it might be better to start fresh. For the record I pretended to not notice the systems that showed her deadname until she mentioned it to me because it seemed like a "if you want me to know you'll tell me" thing.

Paypal is apparently also a huge gently caress about changing names, there's someone that I sent money to on Paypal years ago that I don't even remember the name of but I remember her deadname because it's still sitting on my Paypal page with her deadname as an option to send money to.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

https://serverfault.com/questions/293217/our-security-auditor-is-an-idiot-how-do-i-give-him-the-information-he-wants

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think the correct response is to find a new payment provider rather than one that has plaintext copies of all your credentials

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Yeah I fully support just making a new account for trans people, although I think there can be a little wiggle room if someone changes their name due to marriage or divorce to just update the existing account.

Anyway I think I'm becoming the cyber security person by default (I actually responded to one last week while my coworker was out and now my boss is tagging me via teams on another incident) and I cannot explain how little I want to become the untitled, unpaid, and untrained endpoint, AAD, and cyber security person here.

I might be a goon and real good at computers but I really shouldn't be trusted to be responsible for this poo poo long term.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
You shouldn’t shy away from working with new technologies just because they aren’t in your job description. You should learn new poo poo, put the new poo poo on your resume, and get a better paid job elsewhere working with said poo poo.

Don’t be a hero for saving the business all the time, and obviously try to maintain a healthy work life balance. but if you wait for a formal training, promotion, or role change to get your hands dirty doing new things you will find career advancements few and far between.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, on one hand promotions are generally a joke in IT and you're likely to get more responsibilities for the same pay, on the other hand if you're shadowing/working on stuff in a specialty it means you can add that to your resume and discuss the topic and end up actually making the corresponding money at another job. I doubt I would have gotten into linux admin work if I hadn't shadowed the Linux team at my NOC job rather than doing what I actually wanted to do (mostly ignore the ticket queue while playing Cyberpunk).

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

thewizardofshoe posted:

We are trying our halfassed most to divest from Zoom, hopefully this pushes that project to be an actual priority.

Not that we’ll stop supporting Zoom, but our suborg pays for their own instance due to pandemic demands and HIPAA agreements which are now active on our parent org’s account that we all have provisioned anyway so we can cut redundant licensing entirely in theory.

We keep a handful of zoom accounts around for the handful of times a year we need to let a conference room system connect to someone's zoom meeting. Might be able to drop that soon at this rate.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Reoxygenation posted:

is everyone in management content with just eating whatever Microsoft throws at them? Realizing that I've never really seen anyone push back on Microsoft or their pricing... bitching about quality, yes, but never really push back on cutting licenses / seats on products? I'll admit I don't exactly have extensive experience to speak on this, but it does feel weird to think about

Maybe the feeling is different at 50,000 employees but M365 pricing doesn’t bother us at all. Even E5 isn’t terrible at the rate we get from Dell (under $50/user).

Hell it’s one of the cheapest IT subscriptions we have. Adobe otoh…

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The Iron Rose posted:

You shouldn’t shy away from working with new technologies just because they aren’t in your job description. You should learn new poo poo, put the new poo poo on your resume, and get a better paid job elsewhere working with said poo poo.

Don’t be a hero for saving the business all the time, and obviously try to maintain a healthy work life balance. but if you wait for a formal training, promotion, or role change to get your hands dirty doing new things you will find career advancements few and far between.

I'm not complaining about working with new things - that's been my push here since our old things are all hosed and probably not worth saving - but that I'm being trusted to be the frontline cyber security person with no experience and nobody to teach me/stop my fuckups since neither my boss nor coworker have any applicable experience. Intune and endpoint aren't nearly as critical or likely to blow up in our faces, and we have PII on vulnerable populations that need good cyber security which I am not qualified to provide nor realistically able to learn starting from "check the sign in logs in AAD and run antivirus." Doubly so if I'm not allowed to set stuff like password policies or force users to stop storing PII on their laptop C drive.

Plus the rest of everything I've complained about this place for the last year and a half means that any actually good cyber security is going to get squashed by a head boss that hates everything she doesn't understand and refuses to learn anything new.

tokin opposition fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 10, 2024

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Yeah, on one hand promotions are generally a joke in IT and you're likely to get more responsibilities for the same pay, on the other hand if you're shadowing/working on stuff in a specialty it means you can add that to your resume and discuss the topic and end up actually making the corresponding money at another job. I doubt I would have gotten into linux admin work if I hadn't shadowed the Linux team at my NOC job rather than doing what I actually wanted to do (mostly ignore the ticket queue while playing Cyberpunk).

Were a four person team and nobody has cybersecurity expertise. See 80% of my posts to see why shadowing from these people would be a profound waste of time.

God I wish I could shadow a linux team.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
All you have to do, is explain that paying microsoft that money is what gets the company email and excel. I’ve never had a C-level or executive bat an eye after saying that.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Cyks posted:

Maybe the feeling is different at 50,000 employees but M365 pricing doesn’t bother us at all. Even E5 isn’t terrible at the rate we get from Dell (under $50/user).

My problem with Microsoft licensing is that its the most obtuse tiering schema ever, so that budgeting for it feels nearly impossible.

Oh sorry, you have E5 Security Licenses, you need Entra P2 to access that security blade you need, oh you have Entra P2? Sorry you actually need Buttz S4 licenses to access this one specific control with that security blade. Oh and you need that license for every user AND admin.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

Cyks posted:

I guess that's the consensus. Microsoft does enshittify their stuff but I guess it still works, at the end of the day?

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
A recruiter is hitting me up... For Epic(Healthcare). :mrwhite: Why are they so insistent on moving people to Madison?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Prescription Combs posted:

A recruiter is hitting me up... For Epic(Healthcare). :mrwhite: Why are they so insistent on moving people to Madison?

They're very culty and want to trick people into staying by isolating your support network.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Two more days of "What do you mean I need to be on the VPN to change my password?" and then I'm loving off to Australia/NZ for three weeks.

Boss has said when I get back, he's gonna start slowly giving me the keys to the networking kingdom, or at least start letting me access stuff so I can be our teams point guy for it. So that's cool.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Handsome Ralph posted:

Two more days of "What do you mean I need to be on the VPN to change my password?" and then I'm loving off to Australia/NZ for three weeks.

Boss has said when I get back, he's gonna start slowly giving me the keys to the networking kingdom, or at least start letting me access stuff so I can be our teams point guy for it. So that's cool.

Are you doing the lord of the rings trail?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

jaegerx posted:

Are you doing the lord of the rings trail?

Not all of it, but a good chunk of it and yeah, Hobbiton as well. I'm very excited.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Handsome Ralph posted:

Not all of it, but a good chunk of it and yeah, Hobbiton as well. I'm very excited.

It's on my list but that flight to Australia/NZ is just ugh.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Defenestrategy posted:

My problem with Microsoft licensing is that its the most obtuse tiering schema ever, so that budgeting for it feels nearly impossible.

Oh sorry, you have E5 Security Licenses, you need Entra P2 to access that security blade you need, oh you have Entra P2? Sorry you actually need Buttz S4 licenses to access this one specific control with that security blade. Oh and you need that license for every user AND admin.

That’s completely valid. Microsoft does an awful job of explaining what licenses you need or any changes they make.

I highly recommend anyone who deals with m365 licensing to get familiar with the site m365maps.com, especially the product matrix. Once it clicks, it’s not too bad.

I try my best to be somewhat in compliance but I’m sure there’s a few I missed. I’ve done a Microsoft audit before but we were a very small company (under 80 at the time) and they were mostly interested in total number of servers and devices. I doubt they’d audit if I have room resources using a CA without a entra p1.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Handsome Ralph posted:

Google not having password write back is killing me with this poo poo. Let me have self service password resets god damnit.

That trip sounds baller have fun!

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/01/09/hpe-to-acquire-juniper-networks-for-14-billion.html
:rip:

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Does this mean Aruba finally going to have routers and firewalls worth a drat?

That or the Mist acquisition really just paid off well.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Cyks posted:

That’s completely valid. Microsoft does an awful job of explaining what licenses you need or any changes they make.

I highly recommend anyone who deals with m365 licensing to get familiar with the site m365maps.com, especially the product matrix. Once it clicks, it’s not too bad.

This is sick and exactly what I need to book mark and share.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Cyks posted:

Does this mean Aruba finally going to have routers and firewalls worth a drat?

That or the Mist acquisition really just paid off well.

HP is only after Mist by the looks of it.

I was at Atmosphere in Vegas when Aruba announced they were being picked up by HP, and just about every Aruba person looked upset by it. For good reason.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Prescription Combs posted:

I've gotten the same Linkedin message. gently caress Wisconsin, if I want to become an alcoholic I can do it just fine here in Colorado.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Neato, they have a French translation position. If they didn't require moving to Wisconsin that'd be a cool side gig. I mean really, that could easily be done remote

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Depends what you're translating - but yes for software it's possible. We had an in-house team translating user manuals of MFPs into various European languages, and they had access to the machines themselves to better understand what exactly the English guide was referring to, as well as access to all the service manuals of products that hadn't been released yet. It can be quite commercially sensitive stuff.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Did you know that in vSphere there's a difference between configuring a disk as "Independent - Nonpersistent" and "Independent - Persistent"?

I just found out that someone didn't know the difference.

I have had an extremely fun morning just now.

:shepface:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I am getting the feeling that central IT has their backup servers attached over a slow link. This is so slow…

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

My ISP just poo poo the bed. I should get starlink as a backup for this kind of poo poo

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

LochNessMonster posted:

My ISP just poo poo the bed. I should get starlink as a backup for this kind of poo poo

A $500 device that costs $100/month?

Just use your phone lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Blurb3947 posted:

A $500 device that costs $100/month?

Just use your phone lol

Yea your phone or a Verizon hotspot will do the trick just fine without needing to do a satellite solution or support Elon Musk