Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Those early Ryzens had pretty janky memory controllers. You could also back it down to 2x8 if you can return the RAM, 32 GB is probably overkill for a kid's gaming machine with a 1700X. DDR4 3200 is fine, don't know what that other poster was talking about. You can get 3600 but the difference is pretty marginal.

Ryzen overclocking is weird and there's a lot of different things going on. Here's some more detail if you want: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7NzNi1xX_4 - this might help you find the right names/settings in that BIOS.

I'm thinking about just spending the cash to drop in a 5700X3D and make it a pretty current machine. A coworker offered me an old RTX 2080 that's been sitting in a drawer, so this hand-me-down cobbled together pile of parts might actually end up pretty decent.

When 32GB of RAM is $50, i'm not inclined to try and be any cheaper. Same with disk, I picked up a 2TB NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSD for this for $70. Might as well, it's cheap as heck and nobody's ever had problems having too much RAM or storage. So far I'm in for less than $250 for case,PSU, 32GB DDR4, 2TB NVMe.

I am definitely going to take a minute digging through the memory lane of old documentation and reviews to figure out what's going on with Zen 1 though, for curiosity's sake. If I stick with the 1700X I'm probably going to try to power limit it down to the 65W TDP of the 1700 to keep the whole thing quieter. Thanks for finding the relevant GN video!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Racing Stripe
Oct 22, 2003

I'm building a mid-budget gaming PC for my GF's brother, and I'm eyeing this as an opportunity to pass some of my current hardware his way and give myself an opportunity for a modest upgrade. Specifically, he'll get my 6700 XT and I'll grab something a bit better. It seems a 7800 XT can be had at MicroCenter for $530. There's also a used 3080 TI for sale in SA Mart (bump for that goon, I guess?) and they're asking $500. It seems like this is a YMMV situation if these are going for about the same price: more VRAM for the Radeon, way better RT for the Geforce. Anything else I should take into consideration? The 7800 has 2 X 8 power connectors, while the 3080 TI has 3 X 8 - those all need to be connected, right? Not like that extra CPU power connector on the mobo that you don't really need unless you do big overclocking?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Racing Stripe posted:

I'm building a mid-budget gaming PC for my GF's brother, and I'm eyeing this as an opportunity to pass some of my current hardware his way and give myself an opportunity for a modest upgrade. Specifically, he'll get my 6700 XT and I'll grab something a bit better. It seems a 7800 XT can be had at MicroCenter for $530. There's also a used 3080 TI for sale in SA Mart (bump for that goon, I guess?) and they're asking $500. It seems like this is a YMMV situation if these are going for about the same price: more VRAM for the Radeon, way better RT for the Geforce. Anything else I should take into consideration? The 7800 has 2 X 8 power connectors, while the 3080 TI has 3 X 8 - those all need to be connected, right? Not like that extra CPU power connector on the mobo that you don't really need unless you do big overclocking?

You should absolutely, positively wait a week for the 4070 Super at $600 which is a dramatically better buy than either of those, outright more powerful, more efficient, and with all the extra Nvidia stuff.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Correct, all the power adapters on the GPU need to have a plug in them. The 3080 Ti performs slightly better than the 7800 XT in general, and then the version the goon is selling is a factory overclocked version that will perform even better. Barring any damage or defects, I'd buy the 3080 Ti in this instance. 12GB of VRAM should still be fine for a while, even though 16GB does feel better mentally to have.

Twerk from Home posted:

You should absolutely, positively wait a week for the 4070 Super at $600 which is a dramatically better buy than either of those, outright more powerful, more efficient, and with all the extra Nvidia stuff.

Also yeah, this.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm thinking about just spending the cash to drop in a 5700X3D and make it a pretty current machine. A coworker offered me an old RTX 2080 that's been sitting in a drawer, so this hand-me-down cobbled together pile of parts might actually end up pretty decent.

When 32GB of RAM is $50, i'm not inclined to try and be any cheaper. Same with disk, I picked up a 2TB NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSD for this for $70. Might as well, it's cheap as heck and nobody's ever had problems having too much RAM or storage. So far I'm in for less than $250 for case,PSU, 32GB DDR4, 2TB NVMe.

I am definitely going to take a minute digging through the memory lane of old documentation and reviews to figure out what's going on with Zen 1 though, for curiosity's sake. If I stick with the 1700X I'm probably going to try to power limit it down to the 65W TDP of the 1700 to keep the whole thing quieter. Thanks for finding the relevant GN video!

Yeah on the RAM I was just suggesting if you are dealing with memory problems on an early Ryzen spending slightly less money on less RAM that's on the QVL may make your life a lot easier. Memory controller gets a lot better with subsequent generations so if you do an upgrade you likely will be fine.

You could probably find a drop-in non-X3D for quite cheap, I just gave away a 3600 to some other goon.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
Does anyone else weirdly feel the urge to alternate between glass panel flashy cases and silent black box of mystery every other build?

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

jisforjosh posted:

Does anyone else weirdly feel the urge to alternate between glass panel flashy cases and silent black box of mystery every other build?

Every time I look through my glass panel at my RGB RAM it's a coin flip as to whether I think to myself "hell yeah" or "maybe this is too tacky."

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

jisforjosh posted:

What about those of us who use glass panel cases to achieve the silent black box of mystery build?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Thirst Mutilator posted:

Every time I look through my glass panel at my RGB RAM it's a coin flip as to whether I think to myself "hell yeah" or "maybe this is too tacky."

My RGB RAM is on the side that faces away from me so I can't even see it when it's on, big brain 1000 move

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
My case has a nice mesh side which feels like a good balance to me. You can see some lights but its not obnoxious

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
I use to care like 10 years ago until I realized anyone who actually sees my case’s doesn’t care. I know I never have.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

change my name posted:

My RGB RAM is on the side that faces away from me so I can't even see it when it's on, big brain 1000 move

Good, light pollution sucks. Cover rgb with masking tape.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

jisforjosh posted:

I went from a air-cooled Fractal R5 covered in stickers with zero RGB and the window looking away from me, to a Fractal Torrent with eight LED with reworked desk wiring just so I could see the unicorn vomit better. Depends on the theme!

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Is it pretty safe these days to go with water cooling for the CPU? I've only ever used air (Noctua D15), and it seems to work fine, but wondering if there's any benefit apart from just cooler temps. This would be in an ATX case with 2 x fans intake/1 out (have room on top of case for water cooler fans).

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kragger99 posted:

but wondering if there's any benefit apart from just cooler temps.

Not really.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Kragger99 posted:

Is it pretty safe these days to go with water cooling for the CPU? I've only ever used air (Noctua D15), and it seems to work fine, but wondering if there's any benefit apart from just cooler temps. This would be in an ATX case with 2 x fans intake/1 out (have room on top of case for water cooler fans).

A chance of getting the same or cooler temps with less noise. More efficient use of space in smaller cases. More surface for RGB.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Kragger99 posted:

Also it really depends on the CPU whether it's worth it or not, and your according expectations about temps and noise and cost outlay and lifespan

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Thirst Mutilator posted:

“Glorious”

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I'm water cooling my 5800X3D, but only because I bought it after my Noctua NH-D12L wasn't cooling it properly; which I later discovered was due to a defective mounting bracket screw and it's now working like a champ on my brother's much, much, much cooler operating Ryzen 3600.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
I dodged having to sit around on discord hoping to get a card last time there were releases thanks to being able to step up to the 3080 with EVGA (rip).

Since then I sold my rig onto a family member due to them needing it more than me (work), but I'm now looking to do a new build over the next month or two with the release of the supers.

I'm in the failed state known as the UK so I expect the $ to £ conversion to be 1:1 or possibly even worse depending on supply. My screen is 1440p ultrawide so I'm leaning towards either a 4080 if there's any price drop to speak of or a 4080 super due to me being weary of the whole 12GB vram thing with the 4070.

Will I likely have to track down some sort of stock alert discord server to be in with a chance of getting a card later this month or is it not as bad this time around?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Just a reminder, as I got my motherboard in today and realized that I didn't have any thermal grease or even know where my anti static band was.

Might wanna go ahead and buy that stuff at the same time you buy the actual parts, so there's no delay in assembling the PC.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Can anyone point me at a decent storefront for buying retired/refurbed office computers?

I'm helping a friend pick out a desktop for her 12y.o. son to replace his ancient 3rd-gen-i5-packing Dell. I have a retired 2070S just sitting on a shelf that I figure would pair up great with, say, a 10th-12th gen i5 or the like if I can point her at a ~$500-$700-ish box to slot it into. He's not too technically minded so I don't think he's too into the classic build one from parts project.

Then again, something like this doesn't look too terrible for what he'd want to use it for.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jan 10, 2024

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Kragger99 posted:

Cooler temps on modern CPUs means higher performance, particularly for multi core loads.

CPUs use dynamic boosting algorithms with a voltage-frequency-temperature curve, lower temperatures means higher frequency at the same voltage and also let's you get to higher voltages without thermal throttling. This is most noticeable on AMD 12 and 16 core CPUs, they won't ever hit their power limits and full stock performance unless you use some serious cooling on them. This is compounded by the Ryzen CPUs being much harder to extract heat from, a cooler that can manage 250w on Intel might struggle doing 180w on AMD.

It's not a huge difference between "good cooling" and "great cooling" in terms of performance though.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Arrath posted:

Can anyone point me at a decent storefront for buying retired/refurbed office computers?

I'm helping a friend pick out a desktop for her 12y.o. son to replace his ancient 3rd-gen-i5-packing Dell. I have a retired 2070S just sitting on a shelf that I figure would pair up great with, say, a 10th-12th gen i5 or the like if I can point her at a ~$500-$700-ish box to slot it into. He's not too technically minded so I don't think he's too into the classic build one from parts project.

Then again, something like this doesn't look too terrible for what he'd want to use it for.

I don’t like that the price keeps creeping back up, but if there is a Micro Center accessible the PowerSpec G516 isn’t a bad computer. It was like $650 two months ago but now it’s up to $800, which makes it a harder sell imo.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/666624/powerspec-g516-gaming-pc?ob=1

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Branch Nvidian posted:

I don’t like that the price keeps creeping back up, but if there is a Micro Center accessible the PowerSpec G516 isn’t a bad computer. It was like $650 two months ago but now it’s up to $800, which makes it a harder sell imo.

Well that's certainly a killer option, a shame about the price jump.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Branch Nvidian posted:

A word of warning, I think Gamers Nexus did a review on the G513, a previous version of this prebuilt, with what looks like the same CPU cooler. They it as atrocious for keeping the CPU cool under sustained loads. I think it hit max temps and throttled in under 5m in their torture tests, whereas replacing it resulted it in never even hitting max temps.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

That's just a stock AMD cooler, which is adequate at its job, albeit somewhat noisy. The main problem with the prebuilt GN looked at was the case design. It has really poor airflow, but this case doesn't suffer from that in the same way. It actually has a proper mesh front panel and decent looking airflow, which means the thermals are probably going to be okay. Though you may still want to replace that cooler with something that would be a bit quieter.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
why are 4090's anywhere from $300-1k more than they were in august? did stock just go down for xmas and demand has convinced newegg to fleece everybody?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

A lot of companies shipped all of their supply to China the moment they caught wind that the US government was gonna ban 4090 exports to there. Now that the ban is in effect, supply may normalize to some degree, though i'm sure retailers and AIBs aren't very eager to lower prices back down.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Pythagoras a trois posted:

why are 4090's anywhere from $300-1k more than they were in august? did stock just go down for xmas and demand has convinced newegg to fleece everybody?

4090s are basically the AI card. They're the strongest graphics card for gaming, but also the strongest graphics card for AI bullshit. Think of AI as the new crypto and you're basically at the reason why 4090 prices keep climbing.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

BurritoJustice posted:

Cooler temps on modern CPUs means higher performance, particularly for multi core loads.

CPUs use dynamic boosting algorithms with a voltage-frequency-temperature curve, lower temperatures means higher frequency at the same voltage and also let's you get to higher voltages without thermal throttling. This is most noticeable on AMD 12 and 16 core CPUs, they won't ever hit their power limits and full stock performance unless you use some serious cooling on them. This is compounded by the Ryzen CPUs being much harder to extract heat from, a cooler that can manage 250w on Intel might struggle doing 180w on AMD.

It's not a huge difference between "good cooling" and "great cooling" in terms of performance though.

Thanks! This is for a new 13700K build, so I might notice the small difference.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

facialimpediment posted:

4090s are basically the AI card. They're the strongest graphics card for gaming, but also the strongest graphics card for AI bullshit. Think of AI as the new crypto and you're basically at the reason why 4090 prices keep climbing.

So not only is it likely to get worse, I'm part of the problem. Nice.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

For what it's worth, it's hard to know where this will all shake out with the 4090 pricing. Until GN/reviewers get their hands on 4080 Supers and figure out how good they are, it's unclear how much of that market will ease pressure on the 4090. Nvidia has also launched the 4090D to cover the Chinese market and keep the Secretary of Commerce happy with its lowered TPP.

So it could get worse if the 4090D pulls from 4090 production, or could get better if the 4080 Super turns out good. An also-open question is if the melting cable problems on the 4090 persist, leading to more swap-outs, which further cuts down on 4090 supply. Fun!

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

This is a minor gripe but it's crazy how large the 3080 is considering it has the same max TDP as the 3080, right? Like my "small" 4070 ti is much, much larger than my old 3080 FE and the 4080 or Super FE would only have 10mm of clearance in my case. Feels pretty unnecessary

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

facialimpediment posted:

For what it's worth, it's hard to know where this will all shake out with the 4090 pricing. Until GN/reviewers get their hands on 4080 Supers and figure out how good they are, it's unclear how much of that market will ease pressure on the 4090. Nvidia has also launched the 4090D to cover the Chinese market and keep the Secretary of Commerce happy with its lowered TPP.

So it could get worse if the 4090D pulls from 4090 production, or could get better if the 4080 Super turns out good. An also-open question is if the melting cable problems on the 4090 persist, leading to more swap-outs, which further cuts down on 4090 supply. Fun!

Nvidia has also launched more AI-focused models based on 4090 silicon that are not limited by the advanced packaging that the H100 needs.

At work I've got every vendor that has my contact info begging me to buy the Nvidia L40S, which is 4090 silicon sold for about $13,000 each. If Nvidia isn't willing to manufacture many $1,600 4090s it's because they can sell that same chip for more than $10k.

Edit: to be clear, vendors are begging everyone to buy L40S because they are available now, vs getting on a long wait-list to be able to buy H100. The situation where everyone is waiting to buy H100 sucks for sellers because if things change there's going to be a lot of cancelled orders.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

There were couple opinions posted in the GPU thread why things won't be that bad.

Twerk from Home posted:

Completely different thing, and unlike crypto mining it's easier to segment out GPUs for AI, especially because the arms race is being done with models that need to spread across lots of GPUs and need fast interconnection between them. Nvidia removed NVLink from the RTX 4000 generation entirely, while 20xx and the 3090 were able to interconnect directly.

Also, there's no way for some schmuck to buy $20,000 worth of GPUs and make money directly with them.

FuzzySlippers posted:

Yeah, I think this is a big difference. Anyone could chase crypto dreams, but AI is mostly investor bait as I can't figure out anyway to make money off LLM stuff with just a handful of expensive video cards. You could rent time on them to people playing around with LLMs but that's not gold rush money.

For that matter I've been confused about how the video card ban is supposed to be a problem for researchers. Maybe having a bunch of 4080s instead of 4090s makes your training take longer but it doesn't seem like the difference would significantly harm actual research. Especially because you could just add more computers to the network.

I also think if Nvidia expects the 4080 super to replace the 4090 for AI uses they'd put more VRAM on it.

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
Just rebuilt my PC, it's a 7800x3d and a 3080 hooked up to a 65" q80 tv for a monitor. Its a huge pain in the rear end to switch between 4k and 1440 for resolution...1440 can be 120hz g sync, 4k can do 60hz. What would you choose if you were me? I'm picking one and sticking to it.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

i must compose posted:

Just rebuilt my PC, it's a 7800x3d and a 3080 hooked up to a 65" q80 tv for a monitor. Its a huge pain in the rear end to switch between 4k and 1440 for resolution...1440 can be 120hz g sync, 4k can do 60hz. What would you choose if you were me? I'm picking one and sticking to it.

Why is it only 4k 60hz? All the models of the q80 I can see should support 4k VRR over HDMI 2.1. Do you have a fast enough cable?

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Butterfly Valley posted:

Why is it only 4k 60hz? All the models of the q80 I can see should support 4k VRR over HDMI 2.1. Do you have a fast enough cable?

Make sure it’s actually a rated cable and not like a fake one.

4K 120 is a lot of pixels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I have a 5m cable from my PC to my TV that does 4k 120hz no problem, even though it's not fibre optic or active, but I did research and read lots of reviews to make sure it would actually do what I wanted and also could return it if not.