Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

smackfu posted:

This connection on 76918 McLaren Solus GT should not have passed quality control. One stud, on the corner, no secondary bracing. Extremely easy to knock off when you pick up the model. Also super fiddly to build in the first place.

ok so it isn't just me then. that piece is horrible and falls off if i even touch the car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Just didn't push it in hard enough.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

smackfu posted:

This connection on 76918 McLaren Solus GT should not have passed quality control. One stud, on the corner, no secondary bracing. Extremely easy to knock off when you pick up the model. Also super fiddly to build in the first place.

Yeah, I built that not so long ago and realised the exact same thing, just repositioning the car makes it drop off.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Over three decades of buying and receiving Lego, and I've never had a piece missing.
UNTIL NOW!
The part that makes it really funny is that it's not actual Lego per se, it's a minifigure jigsaw puzzle that my niece gave me for Christmas:

I know for a fact I didn't lose it anywhere, all the pieces were sealed in one of those new paper bags (about time, am I right?) inside the box, and I opened it carefully on my usual hobby table.
I'm hoping I can get it replaced before she asks if I completed it yet, but she's five so she's probably already forgotten lol

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

The Mighty Moltres posted:

Over three decades of buying and receiving Lego, and I've never had a piece missing.
UNTIL NOW!
The part that makes it really funny is that it's not actual Lego per se, it's a minifigure jigsaw puzzle that my niece gave me for Christmas:

I know for a fact I didn't lose it anywhere, all the pieces were sealed in one of those new paper bags (about time, am I right?) inside the box, and I opened it carefully on my usual hobby table.
I'm hoping I can get it replaced before she asks if I completed it yet, but she's five so she's probably already forgotten lol

5 year olds never forget.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Digging the War Galley, Pirate Treasure, and Lego Anatomy. Had a hearty :lol: at Steve Irwin and 9/11.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Any ideas on how to make the Galaxy Explorer a bit more sturdy? All those grey plates are kinda flimsy, only held on in one direction. Thinking about putting a couple 2x2 squares at corners to reinforce them.

My kids love the little moon car that can roll out of the rear though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Are you talking the original or the new one? Because the wing section on the new one is sturdy as poo poo in my experience. It's the canopy that's snapped on me a couple times, had to teach myself not to pick it up by that part.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Apollodorus posted:

After a couple years of DUPLO, she seems really excited about all the little tiny single-stud pieces since they let her practice her fine motor skills.

Same! My four year old got a lego set for her birthday (Something from Frozen) and did nothing but put it together all weekend over and over, so I dug into the massive tub of bricks I got from my mom from when I was a kid and put together a few sets for her to build complete with printed out PDF instructions all in a ziplock bag. It is an absolute bitch to find every last piece in a set even for the ones with like 50 pieces to get her started, but man it is worth it. She has so much fun.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Ooh, Blacktron II! I need to get those out for my daughter. I bet she could handle it.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Yeah my galaxy explorer was pretty sturdy too.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
Just finished putting together the Family Reunion Celebration Chinese New Year set. That was a lot of fun, I don't remember the last time I smiled so much building an official set.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
What made it so great?

Speaking of things that make something great: I'm about 2/3 of the way through Avengers tower and I am still looking.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.

Waltzing Along posted:

What made it so great?

Speaking of things that make something great: I'm about 2/3 of the way through Avengers tower and I am still looking.

I liked the abundance of minifigs (13!) that ensure it is a fully populated tableau. Architecturally I think it both works as a "real life" type building but also fits in thematically with the Ninjago City sets. It is not an overly large set but I think it pulls above its weight as far as being fully satisfying in its detail and execution

e: the Avengers Tower looks pretty sick. I'm not a big Marvel guy so I'd probably try and convert it into a Bank of China Tower-type civilian building. Hey, I just gave myself an idea...

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Titanic build continued. What the heck is this?

complete little assembly...

There's a hole in the deck for it

HOLY poo poo IT'S A LITTLE BENCH

And with a very satisfying snap. Yeah, there's like 20 little benches, the guys figured out two pieces that look like a super tiny bench when assembled sideways. So fun.

And another stage was completed.

This poo poo does get tedious but the detail is worth it.

And now we get to the segments that attach to each other! You build this little key.

The hull lightly snaps together to line up all those holes.

and you just drop the key in.

Don't even know what it is unless you know.

Aaaaand DONE!

Just kidding, that's the one I built and still have from when I was in grade school. It used to have thread connecting the masts to the funnels and down to those gray 1x1s. This is AFTER washing it, yeah the pieces are stained and filthy. I was a kid, and this has followed me around for 40 years. It's been in crawl spaces and basement shelves, just in a box with no lid, etc. But yeah like a lot of kids I went through a Titanic phase, I read all the books I could about it, including Raise the Titanic, which got me into Clive Cussler novels as a teenager, etc etc. I mean to say that there's definitely a reason that when I saw this model as an adult I just had to have it.

Some random close up details. More benches!

And I thought that there's no way the ship only had 16 lifeboats, and they took some artistic license. Nope. The most forward ones were not technically lifeboats but fast launch rescue boats, but they got it right nonetheless.

Anyway, I lost track but my best guess is that I spent 35 hours on this. I do want to disassemble it just to build it again. Maybe I'll alternate every year for Christmas: take it apart next year, put it together again the year after, etc. Maybe.

Edit: Also I weighed it, it's about 17 pounds.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 14, 2024

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You gotta flip one of the smokestacks around so you can be like myles turner.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
It's a cool model but it looks so repetitive.
I'd get frustrated and just throw it into the ocean

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

LloydDobler posted:

Yeah, there's like 20 little benches
Be sure to get them properly oriented. It is a waste of time to rearrange the seating on the Titanic.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Costcos have the Auspicious Dragon for $68, 25% off. I'd call first, though. My local sold out in a single day. I drove to one about 5 mins further away the other direction and they had it but were more than 75% sold out already in a day. These aren't going to last long.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
That Titanic looks like the perfect set for the right person. I don’t think it’s for me but I do think nautical history and design rule.

You know what else rules? That LEGO “Space” is back, and not only that it also crosses over between different themes. I think having spaceships etc that aren’t all Star Wars is really good for imaginative play, at least from watching my daughter. Licensed stuff is just not that interesting IMO.

I notice however that both the 60430 Interstellar Spaceship and 60391 Construction Trucks (to pick two examples) are officially in the “City” theme—just how big IS that city, exactly?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
How big is any city? Tokyo? Vatican City?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

The_Doctor posted:

How big is any city? Tokyo? Vatican City?

2,194.07 and 0.49 square km respectively

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Apollodorus posted:

That Titanic looks like the perfect set for the right person. I don’t think it’s for me but I do think nautical history and design rule.

You know what else rules? That LEGO “Space” is back, and not only that it also crosses over between different themes. I think having spaceships etc that aren’t all Star Wars is really good for imaginative play, at least from watching my daughter. Licensed stuff is just not that interesting IMO.

I notice however that both the 60430 Interstellar Spaceship and 60391 Construction Trucks (to pick two examples) are officially in the “City” theme—just how big IS that city, exactly?

Yeah my son has done more actual play with the new space sets than he has with any of the star wars sets

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

xzzy posted:

Are you talking the original or the new one? Because the wing section on the new one is sturdy as poo poo in my experience. It's the canopy that's snapped on me a couple times, had to teach myself not to pick it up by that part.

New one, it's just the gray angle pieces being used to cover the top and bottom of the ship. My 5 y.o. plays with it and picks it up a lot, and while the main frame stays together, the little gray pieces fall off frequently.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Apollodorus posted:

I might be way off the mark here but I'm starting to get vibes that Lego Star Wars is petering out a bit? The leaks for this summer's wave are just completely ridiculous; it's an entire line of whacky stuff and characters I've never even heard of, and I've been moderately into Star Wars my whole life. Last year had a few standouts and a whole lot of eh too. There have always been off years I suppose but this feels different to me somehow. I guess combined with Star Wars itself starting to slip a bit in the cultural zeitgeist among Gen Z / Alpha, and imo there being very few actually memorably designed ships for Disney's entire tenure.

Not saying the line is going to go away or anything, I think there'll always at least be an adult audience for OT/PT stuff, but I'm betting we're gonna be seeing a lot more non-Star Wars space going forward.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

New one, it's just the gray angle pieces being used to cover the top and bottom of the ship. My 5 y.o. plays with it and picks it up a lot, and while the main frame stays together, the little gray pieces fall off frequently.

Yeah my 7 year old knocked the grey edges of the wings off repeatedly, it's annoying how sturdy the rest of the build is but not there

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
I think the “Space Friends” look cool as hell, and I’m glad my daughter doesn’t have to choose between “space sets” and “sets for girls”.

Meanwhile the Star Wars sets seem mostly to be marketing tie ins with the new tv series and I just am tired of all these Star Wars.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
I will say the Space city sets are cool. Went to the store looking for the new minifigures but they didn't have 'em, so got my kids a set each, including the space little robot for 10 bux. Very cool for 10 bux.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Apollodorus posted:

I think the “Space Friends” look cool as hell, and I’m glad my daughter doesn’t have to choose between “space sets” and “sets for girls”.

I want the space cat from that set!

Does anyone know if those technic space sets interact with minifigures? I saw listed that they have airlock parts compatible with other (non-technic?) space sets but can't tell if they'd work with figures or not.

Edit: A sneak peak of Tank Versus Kaiju, a 11033 build I'm working on:

Prophet of Nixon fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jan 15, 2024

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Might have to get that Space-Technic VTOL so I can build it, mess with it, take it apart, and give it to my son for his birthday, lol.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
Some of the City Space sets are very cool - I got the lunar rover (which is actually based on a NASA design, from the looks). I'm hyper enthused about the Technic space sets launching on 1st March. I want that cargo lift VTOL ship so very badly.

The way I read it is that the City Space stuff is a little whimsical but could be current-tech adjacent. Same with the Friends Space sets. Then you have the harder sci-fi style space sets that have sleeker lines and alien greeblies and such. Then there's the Technic and display model sets, most of which are existing or historical vehicles and technology (until 1st March!). All of them seem to be able to be described under a loose title of Lego Space depending on where you're looking at them.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
Hell yeah. I grabbed 60430 Interstellar Spaceship on a whim while shopping at my local Target and it's a seriously killer set for the $20 price point. The "boost" mechanism is seriously satisfying and the whole design is so smooth.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

The Interstellar Spaceship is definitely my favorite set from the line that I've built so far, though the Explorer Rover is pretty close. I haven't built the base and I don't have the space station yet. The Command Rover is a little disappointing, because the wheels have zero suspension at all (the Explorer Rover has shock absorbers in front and a rocker suspension in the rear), the crane can only pick up the battery packs, and if you remove the space station module in the middle, you can't like collapse the rover to be shorter or anything; it just now has a big void now.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

SadisTech posted:

Some of the City Space sets are very cool - I got the lunar rover (which is actually based on a NASA design, from the looks). I'm hyper enthused about the Technic space sets launching on 1st March. I want that cargo lift VTOL ship so very badly.

My daughter got the lunar rover from a grandparent, and she was not daunted by it at all despite having only just turned 3. It took several sessions to get through due to 3-year-old attention span but I didn’t have to actually put any of it together for her—just help her interpret the instruction illustrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

BaconCopter posted:

Hell yeah. I grabbed 60430 Interstellar Spaceship on a whim while shopping at my local Target and it's a seriously killer set for the $20 price point. The "boost" mechanism is seriously satisfying and the whole design is so smooth.

drat if that wouldn't fit right in in wipEout with some logos in a crazy 90s techno font down the side

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I am looking forward to getting the Galaxy Explorer and Blacktron Cruiser after I finish the Lion's Knight Castle (also got a Majisto's and Forest Hideout last week from ebay). I figure I'll just keep up with those themes as they release stuff for them. I've thought about doing the Eldorado Fortress and doing the same with Pirates, but I dunno that set doesn't grab me really like the other retro ones.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I put the sanctum sanctorum together and it was cool to build a large building, I’ve built the simpsons sets and I guess the firehouse (and I guess orthanc) but something about the sanctum reminded me of the Lego building of my youth, just on a bigger scale. Looking forward to the bugle and the avengers tower.

Feels like they should have included the parts to at least build one wall without a portal in it, if not 2 (I realize you can turn gargantos around at least). Also the back of the downstairs area is a little weird and not having stairs to the top floor is weird but a wizard did it I guess. But I assume usually modulars usually have better minifig accessibility?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I bought the Interstellar Spaceship when out with my sisters. I agree the build is really cool. I really like the mechanism the engines have. I also like no stickers, very nice. My only complaint is that there's no where to store the jetpack for the minifig and the canopy is once again scratched because it's in the bag with a bunch of pieces.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Sanctum is a good build. The sliding door teleporters is a highlight. It's definitely better than avengers tower. And cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Bit disappointing to find it's not a model of the ship(s) from Interstellar (2014), but I do like that they've got the classic Lego Space logo on one of the pieces.