Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

last summer was really really fuckin bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i say swears online posted:

i legit think austin has better weather than vancouver but also i'd prefer to jog in 90 degrees than 60

perma

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it's nice to be warm imo

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I don't get all this talk about Houston being unsafe. It's perfectly fine if you live in the loop! (Inside I10N, 45E, 59S, 610W only)

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl
taco bout deez nutz

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

My wife lived in Vancouver, Canada for a year and moved back when her work visa needed renewing. We'd never leave Vancouver if we had the ability to move there.

Austin is a fun place to live if you have money and/or don't mind driving or extreme heat, but the state government works really hard to make the state completely unlivable. Repeating everyone else - Cishet guys with no intention of having kids and who can prep for power outages are fine, but I wouldn't have kids here if our whole family wasn't here (rest of family is in Oklahoma, so no saving us there.)

You're coming in to a politics thread where folks are deeply, deeply (and correctly) cynical about the state of the state. I think Texas would be a neat place to experience for a few years if the politics doesn't impact you. There's a lot going on here - besides civil rights and reliable infrastructure, you rarely have to leave the state to find something interesting to do or beautiful to see. We kind of have everything here.

Also - wtf to the person who said Austin has better tacos than SA. SA seems genuinely fun and nice for families, and tortillas there are SO much better it makes you want to cry. Austin has some good places for tortillas, but in general we're not as consistently good as SA at all with tacos.

yeah I expected and received the doomer reaction (Canadian thread would be no different!) though thought I'd post here anyway because I wanted to know about what niche political issues people were nerding out about here.

But yea the situation that you described is pretty much me which is why it's even on the table. I wouldn't be coming at all in other contexts. I've done that much research at least... I'm actually going to fly over next week and have a short look around. Looking at the weather it's uh not too hot but at least not a freak snowfall I guess... (knocks on wood)

i legit think austin has better weather than vancouver but also i'd prefer to jog in 90 degrees than 60

people that move from socal rightfully hate it here though

I do suspect I will could find the hot weather unbearable tho I like hot weather more than many people.

I was born in Vancouver so it's all "normal" to me and so I find all the people who moved here and complain about Vancouver weather to be kind of hilarious weaklings. "Boo hoo it's cloudy all the time I have seasonal affective disorder" lol give me a break.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cloudy, raining, and 60 degrees is my perfect day.

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007
It's more the 100 degrees (Fahrenheit) for at least two solid months last summer. Like, that and the driving (if you're not living in the Domain or downtown) is what would get you in day-to-day life. Housing is expensive compared to a lot of places, but affordable compared to Vancouver.

I think your questions from your original post reveal a big difference in the political environment. The one visit I've had to Vancouver back in 2017, plus talking to our Vancouver friends, it's like we live in a completely different world. Even crossing the border and going from Seattle to Vancouver felt like a weight lifted. I'd say Austin city politics probably look closer to Vancouver. We've apparently seen rents fall recently, as a lot of people who moved here during the pandemic have returned to the coasts and more apartments have been built. But housing is always the biggest issue, public transit is way behind what is needed for a city this size. Police accountability is another big issue they've tried to address. Travis County (where Austin is located) went 72% for Biden, so I also wouldn't assume your neighbors here are likely to be in favor of the party in charge here. At least in the cities, I wouldn't equate the people with the state leadership. Plus...the governor hates us and sees our city as a cesspool.

We have an Austin thread that could give you more specific advice on Austin (though lot of the same folks). But for Texas itself I think the difference is not just individual issues. It's that we have a state government that is led by a party that has been in power for decades with no meaningful opposition, and the national Democratic party hasn't done much to challenge them here. Due to ideological issues, Texans are constantly in a place where the federal or city governments try to do something good, then all of our tax dollars go into the state leadership suing to fight the good thing from happening. Or we just turn down millions of federal dollars that would keep our hospitals open or our children fed because it's coming from a Democratic federal administration. The courts have also been filled with Trump appointees and elected Republican judges, so they often rule on ideology and not facts of the case.

I've seen folks from more progressive places seem utterly bewildered by our state because generally their governments try to do a good job at serving the people. But I think once you accept that our state leaders absolutely do not care about making things better for Texans and are just answering to some fringe right-wing extremist voters and a handful of oil barons, it starts to make a lot more sense. They also don't mind being sued and paying more money in lawsuits than it'd take to fix a problem.

It doesn't feel like it's always been this bad, so you do have people in this thread who used to be much more hopeful than they are now. I think 2021-2022 - with abortion bans, power infrastructure failure, Uvalde mass shooting, aggressive anti-trans legislation, attempts to privatize and defund schools, etc....have broken a lot of people who used to have some faith in the system, myself included.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

zoux posted:

Cloudy, raining, and 60 degrees is my perfect day.

is your perfect day one in which you go outside

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That's a definite strike against any day.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Outside is for people not cool enough to cut it online. No, I will not be going outside. Why do you keep asking?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Femtosecond posted:

I do suspect I will could find the hot weather unbearable tho I like hot weather more than many people.

I was born in Vancouver so it's all "normal" to me and so I find all the people who moved here and complain about Vancouver weather to be kind of hilarious weaklings. "Boo hoo it's cloudy all the time I have seasonal affective disorder" lol give me a break.

You'll have plenty of people in this thread and the Austin one basically get seasonal affective disorder being that it will get 100+ with at least 50% humidity and you're stuck inside all day till the Sun mercifully sets and you can go enjoy 85+ degree evenings. Whoever said 100+ for two months is basically memory holing all of literal last year holding record for longest string of hot months starting in May and not ending till like Mid-October also no rain.

Keep in mind the geographical position here as well, where you weird rear end west coast people start having a sun rise at like 4-5 in the morning, Sun comes up later goes down way later.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah I don't think you can conceive of a straight month or 100+ temps if you haven't gone through it, it dehydrates your very soul.

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl

Dameius posted:

Outside is for people not cool enough to cut it online. No, I will not be going outside. Why do you keep asking?

same

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Otherwise known as, "A really nice day to be at the beach", "decent enough day to do yard work in the shade"

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

dry and 100 as the high really isn't that bad. 110 and high humidity is just killer, it's a different world.

when i go visit my dad on south padre the high will only be 82 but the humidity is brutal, it's so hard to sleep at night

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

Jiro posted:

Whoever said 100+ for two months is basically memory holing all of literal last year holding record for longest string of hot months starting in May and not ending till like Mid-October also no rain.

Oh no, I meant 100+ degrees EVERY SINGLE DAY. It was bad for six months, but it was record-breaking never under 100 for more than a single day of 99 degrees for two of those months, maybe three? I remember how 90-95 degrees was feeling pleasant in September.

I had that summertime sadness. My son went to bed early and had no heat tolerance, so we never went outside longer than 5 minutes for four months there.

Mistaken Frisbee fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jan 9, 2024

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

dry and 100 as the high really isn't that bad. 110 and high humidity is just killer, it's a different world.

when i go visit my dad on south padre the high will only be 82 but the humidity is brutal, it's so hard to sleep at night

I think you are Taylor Lorenz

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

zoux posted:

I think you are Taylor Lorenz

Swears has never accused me of ableist genocide, so I don't know about that.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

more like ted lorenz. i don't get the taylor reference except for

quote:

In an interview with MSNBC, Lorenz said that she has "severe PTSD" from experiencing online harassment.[33]
this, which is accurate from the abuse heaped upon me itt for expressing my opinions (which are objectively correct)

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

She posted a tweet of her home thermostat at 90 degrees

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lmao respect. it's 77 in here rn. i'm in shorts

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

When has it ever been 100+ degrees and not been high humid as well? Leaving out all of West Texas naturally. It's the Island when isn't the humidity below 60%? Heat Index is what you really need to pay attention to.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Jiro posted:

When has it ever been 100+ degrees and not been high humid as well? Leaving out all of West Texas naturally. It's the Island when isn't the humidity below 60%? Heat Index is what you really need to pay attention to.

when the wind blows out of the southwest instead of the southeast. it's more rare though; SSE winds are dominant

edit for austin i mean. SPI has like two non-humid weeks a year

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

The heat wave this past summer was real. It was something like over three months of 100+ degree days in every part of Texas.

THAT'S Seasonal affective disorder - you can't fuggin' go outside!

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

IT BURNS posted:

The heat wave this past summer was real. It was something like over three months of 100+ degree days in every part of Texas.

THAT'S Seasonal affective disorder - you can't fuggin' go outside!

Keep in mind OP 3+ months of that kind of weather has been trending to be NORMAL for here not so much an anomaly anymore. That also leads to really shaky water availability.

You being in Vancouver already know all about poo poo being on fire for months at a time, same here only it's faster spreading grassland fires. Hurricanes pushing inland are less of a rarity but still pretty uncommon.

Of COURSE you can go outside! If you're Texan enough. :smug: Time to go grill in the middle of August at 2 pm cause steaks and fajitas won't make themselves.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

At those temps they will

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
There were accounts that tracked the temperature of playground equipment during the dome and some of that poo poo was getting to contact temperatures of 160-180F at peak heat hours. Try telling your kid they can't go to the playground for almost 6 months right after they discovered the concept and got confident on the equipment.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Dameius posted:

There were accounts that tracked the temperature of playground equipment during the dome and some of that poo poo was getting to contact temperatures of 160-180F at peak heat hours. Try telling your kid they can't go to the playground for almost 6 months right after they discovered the concept and got confident on the equipment.

Sorry, I like my children medium rare.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

you just have to siesta from 10am to 9pm

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Dameius posted:

There's a county park near my place that has a really nice kids playground, lots of good play equipment and cushioned astroturf and... absolutely no shade over the playground. I hosed up and stopped off one afternoon last summer when the heat wasn't that bad (high 90s instead of triple digits), immediately realized why we were the only people there, and then had to drag my very-pissed-off 3 year old back to the car before he gave himself heat stroke or burned his hands. even our playground infrastructure ain't cut out for this heat

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Gotta go back to making full wood playgrounds. Great against heat when touched.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
There is one of those in the heights but then you get the issue of a 3 year old beginning to heat stroke at 10-15 minutes of exposure.

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl
death by heat stroke or a thousand cuts (splinters). the choice is yours

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

The real underrated part of what makes summer so miserable all over Texas is that it is so warm out overnight as well. There is no opening windows at night to cool off, it just makes it more humid and miserable. Other places get hot, but it will just be for a few days, and it cools off at night. It is truly unrelenting here.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Yeah. I have a pool at my house and never, ever swim during the day because of the heat and UVs that will literally singe you in minutes without protection. Even at night it's basically a sous vide machine after absorbing heat all day and feels like you're swimming in a jacuzzi. Might as well put a few steaks in that fucker.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
At least when it's scorching hot and the sun is out the mosquitos tend to hide

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

IT BURNS posted:

Yeah. I have a pool at my house and never, ever swim during the day because of the heat and UVs that will literally singe you in minutes without protection. Even at night it's basically a sous vide machine after absorbing heat all day and feels like you're swimming in a jacuzzi. Might as well put a few steaks in that fucker.

The outdoor pool at the Y this summer was hot tub temperatures. It was weird as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

litany of gulps posted:

At least when it's scorching hot and the sun is out the mosquitos tend to hide

Yeah, in your home