Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Would Diogenes have a problem with my huge collection of piss jugs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Would Diogenes have a problem with my huge collection of piss jugs

According to wikipedia a jug is "a type of container commonly used to hold liquids. It has an opening, sometimes narrow, from which to pour or drink, and has a handle, and often a pouring lip. Jugs throughout history have been made of metal, and ceramic, or glass, and plastic is now common." The etymology of jug is from the 14th century old english "jubbe" which itself may have came from a word for servant, and possibly a name of a specific person.

If you're interested in knowing more you might enjoy the American Jug Museum on in Evanston Illinois.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Thanks

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Diogenes would be offended that you don’t spread your piss o’er the hill and dale, preferably while a lot of other people are around.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Woolie Wool posted:

Diogenes was an Athenian aristocrat and philosopher who gave away his property, went barefoot, and lived in a wine barrel because he hated the slavery and hypocrisy of his class and, unlike most people, actually did something about it. He would then go around haranguing other Athenian aristocrats about how evil and disgusting their lifestyles were and nobody could call him a hypocrite because he really was that hardcore.

drat that's funny.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Things get even weirder when you don't have a credit score because you paid everything off and don't have a credit card for more than 6 months I think it is. It was like I died after I paid off my house. The next time I bought a house I had to bring in so much poo poo to prove that I am indeed worth giving a house loan that I will paid off. Also, at some point car dealerships stopped trying to take cash for a vehicle and I had to physically walk out the door before they chased me down because I wouldn't just sign up for the loan and then just pay it off.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Alexander the Great visited Diogenes, who was laying around in his wine barrel, and asked him "Is there anything I can get you? Anything you want?"

Diogenes said, "I want you to stop blocking my loving sunlight."

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Virigoth posted:

Things get even weirder when you don't have a credit score because you paid everything off and don't have a credit card for more than 6 months I think it is. It was like I died after I paid off my house. The next time I bought a house I had to bring in so much poo poo to prove that I am indeed worth giving a house loan that I will paid off. Also, at some point car dealerships stopped trying to take cash for a vehicle and I had to physically walk out the door before they chased me down because I wouldn't just sign up for the loan and then just pay it off.

Yeah credit poo poo is super super dumb. I have an exceptional credit score (800-840, it varies for zero reasons) but it's because for the past decade I've been using a credit card for nearly every single purchase I make and then pay it all off each month in full. Solely to build credit. I got a good payout from the VA a while back and needed a new car so I got a brand new Subaru Forester. It was maybe 26K or so and I put 20k down on it JUST so I would have a bill to pay (with interest) to get better credit. So essentially I had to pay to make that number go up.

It's so loving stupid but it has helped me out tremendously with anything involving my credit union. During the pandemic when interest rates plummeted I refinanced my house. I went in and said "I have perfect credit. You guys won't make much money off of me but it's guaranteed low-risk income for you." They agreed and now I have a 2.75% interest rate which I like.

Sometimes having no credit is worse than having terrible credit. Any 18 year old with zero credit will get hosed on anything they try to get and will increase the chances that they miss a payment or something. I worked at a cell phone store in the early 2000s and doing credit checks on people was so loving depressing. Especially minorities. Whoooo boy.

Credit scores are dumb and bad and racist and it must have been nice in 1985 to be able to buy a house without someone knowing that you missed a single loan payment 10 years ago.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jan 10, 2024

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Credit scores are dumb, but the thing I'd wish they'd teach people is how to game the system. Understanding that usage history, account quantity and utilization percent matters can set you up for a really good credit score by doing almost nothing.

Like Pennywise, I kinda did the same thing: I opened up a few free credit cards and just used them, and by just using them I somehow had a credit score of 800. Fast forward 8 years and I bought a house with that credit score because I did the stupid credit dance.

This is all very stupid and I don't like it, but I do wonder if 'doing the credit dance' is an indicator of credit worthiness? That'd be an interesting stat to track.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Virigoth posted:

I was denied a credit card from an investment bank I had investments with. I don't remember all that clearly but they weren't really the ones in charge of the credit cards or something I don't know they switched at some point and I got a card. It felt really dumb.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Credit scores are dumb, but the thing I'd wish they'd teach people is how to game the system. Understanding that usage history, account quantity and utilization percent matters can set you up for a really good credit score by doing almost nothing.

Like Pennywise, I kinda did the same thing: I opened up a few free credit cards and just used them, and by just using them I somehow had a credit score of 800. Fast forward 8 years and I bought a house with that credit score because I did the stupid credit dance.

This is all very stupid and I don't like it, but I do wonder if 'doing the credit dance' is an indicator of credit worthiness? That'd be an interesting stat to track.

Yeah every few years I also click a button on my credit card website to hopefully increase my credit limit. Having a higher credit limit to debt ratio increases your credit rating too. I don't need the increase, but I'm just doing the loving stupid credit dance.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Virigoth posted:

I like how it’s about credit history but your history just poofs away when you close the account, unless they got mad at you for something, that’ll stay

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

skooma512 posted:

I like how it’s about credit history but your history just poofs away when you close the account, unless they got mad at you for something, that’ll stay

Yep! Paying off and cancelling a credit card can damage your credit!

:patriot:

quick edit: essentially paying interest to banks, etc. for your entire life increases your credit rating.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 10, 2024

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Sometimes the pig only wants you to wrestle so you'll get as covered in mud as them

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I've had a credit card for ten years, I've never missed a payment, been late on any of my bills. Do you suppose I have a good credit rating? Can you get a really good credit rating if you don't actually buy expensive things?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

What if I have good credit, bad credit, or no credit at all, am I approved???

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
I've been off the map doing expat things for about a decade now, and if/when I finally return it's going to be interesting getting treated incredibly badly because I haven't had significant financial transactions recorded since the early '10s.

And by 'interesting' I mean 'depressing'.
Maybe I'll just stay off the map until I die.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

https://x.com/Johnie/status/1744556503183585471

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Someone’s running a bitcoin miner on all the lg washing machines

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Wherever possible, buy everything on credit cards, keep the balance on them under half of the maximum and pay off the balance in full every month. If you're buying something expensive and there's an interest free finance option then do that rather than buy it outright even if you can afford it.

Credit is loving stupid, esoteric nonsense and unless you regularly have debt that you pay off, you'll be hosed trying to buy a house even if you have a decent deposit and easily earn enough to pay the mortgage every month.

A friend of mine is in her mid 30s and is in this situation right now because she has never had any debt. We earn roughly the same amount but she gets much higher interest rates on mortgage offers than I do. Probably doesn't help that she is also an immigrant (albeit with full citizenship) and probably also because she is not white or male.

gently caress banks, basically.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

quick edit: essentially paying interest to banks, etc. for your entire life increases your credit rating.

Closed accounts in good standing stay on your credit report for 10 years.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

My credit score is almost perfect except for two things holding it back:

1) I don't have enough credit cards (I only have one)
2) I don't have a mortgage or another form of very-large-debt

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Someone’s running a bitcoin miner on all the lg washing machines

yeah, and that someone is lg

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.

deep dish peat moss posted:

My credit score is almost perfect except for two things holding it back:

1) I don't have enough credit cards (I only have one)
2) I don't have a mortgage or another form of very-large-debt

My credit is perfect and ever since I got cancer I’ve been arranging everything so I can divorce my wife, rack up huge amounts of debt, and she gets the house, cars, and all the money. That’s if my cancer metastasizes. Suck it capitalism.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Don't dry strawberries with your crypto miner, dry your clothes!

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

wiretaps on wheels baby, wiretaps on wheels

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Google Chrome with me,
Google Chrome before me,
Google Chrome behind me,
Google Chrome in me,
Google Chrome beneath me,
Google Chrome above me,
Google Chrome on my right,
Google Chrome on my left,
Google Chrome when I lie down,
Google Chrome when I sit down,
Google Chrome when I arise,
Google Chrome in the heart of every man who thinks of me,
Google Chrome in the mouth of everyone who speaks of me,
Google Chrome in every eye that sees me,
Google Chrome in every ear that hears me.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Recently whenever I search for something on Google I get an annoying popup telling me to give them my location data for better results or some poo poo. It happens almost every time I search for something no matter how many times I deny it. It's very irritating.

Also Chrome updates too drat often, seems like every few days there's a new update. Yeah it's good they're probably getting rid of security flaws and whatever but to log into my work account there's like 5 different steps with different login screens to get all of my pages open so I like to just keep the browser open so it doesn't log me off, it's so annoying when the browser updates and I have to do it all again.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Long ago I was a weirdo for using NoScript because it made normal internet browsing significantly more annoying with its whitelisting and broken functions.

Nowadays it seems like all that would be significantly less annoying than what normal websites routinely do.

Sure, for example I have to click and select to get a video to play or a popup to pop, but equally there aren't any videos playing or popups happening *unless* I do that, including ads.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Atopian posted:

Long ago I was a weirdo for using NoScript because it made normal internet browsing significantly more annoying with its whitelisting and broken functions.

Nowadays it seems like all that would be significantly less annoying than what normal websites routinely do.

Sure, for example I have to click and select to get a video to play or a popup to pop, but equally there aren't any videos playing or popups happening *unless* I do that, including ads.
Related to this, if you are on Safari on iOS or macOS; highly recommend stopthemadness. It also ships with a Firefox and chrome extension on macOS.

Here's just some of what it can do on iOS:
StopTheMadness on iOS

underpassapp.com posted:

Why StopTheMadness?

Many web sites deliberately disable user interface features in your browser that you normally expect to work. StopTheMadness re-enables those features for you in your browser:

• opening contextual menus

• selecting, copying, cutting, and pasting of text

• drag and drop

• AutoFill/autocomplete of passwords, emails, etc.

• 2-finger click to open a link in a new tab

StopTheMadness also protects your privacy on the web:

• Stops Google AMP (Accelerated Mobile Pages). Automatically loads the original "canonical" web site page instead of Google AMP.

• Removes tracking tags such as
    code:
    utm_source
    (Urchin Tracking Module),
    code:
    gclid
    (Google Click ID), and
    code:
    fbclid
    (Facebook Click ID) from the end of URLs.

• Stops clickjacking in Google Search, Gmail, Facebook, and DuckDuckGo.

• Stops hyperlink auditing by removing the anchor "ping" attribute on link clicks.

• Stops tracking beacons (
    code:
    Navigator.sendBeacon
    ).

• Stops sites from using the Page Visibility API to know when a tab is visible on your screen.

• Stops URL shorteners. Checks the links you click in Safari for well-known link shorteners —
    code:
    bit.ly
    code:
    tinyurl.com
    code:
    t.co
    (used by Twitter), etc. — and loads the unshortened destination URL instead of the shortened URL. This occurs without setting any cookies or other site data, so you can't be tracked by your click.

Bonus Features:

• Stop videos from autoplaying. This works even on sites where Safari doesn't stop autoplay, such as YouTube. Also stops videos from following you down the page when you scroll on many sites.

• Automatically skip YouTube video ads.

• Stop sites in Safari from pausing your audio in a background app such as Apple Music.

• Show native video controls. Use Picture-in-Picture from Safari on sites that don't normally support it, including YouTube.

• Automatically select web video speed. Speed up videos, or slow them down.

• Automatically select video quality on YouTube.

• Hides the annoying popup banners prompting you to get the App Store app on Google, Google Maps, DuckDuckGo, IMDb, Quora, Patreon, Reddit, and Tumblr. Also hides "Sign in with Google" banners on all sites.

• Font replacement. Substitute one font for another on web pages, such as Helvetica for Arial and Courier for Courier New.

• Hide Page Element. Allows easy selection of elements on web pages to hide permanently.

• Add your own site-specific CSS and JavaScript to web pages.

• Custom URL redirects. Redirect new Reddit to old Reddit, Twitter to Nitter, YouTube to Invidious, etc. You can create any redirect that you want.

• Stop keyboard page zoom. Stops the page from zooming in when you show the software keyboard.

• Enable pinch-to-zoom on sites that prevent it, such as old reddit.

• Stops "Are you sure you want to leave this page?" alerts. Close your tabs without getting stopped by the site.

• Force links to open in the current tab instead of a new tab. Remove
    code:
    target="_blank"
    from links so that they no longer automatically create a new tab.

• Force links to open in a new tab instead of the current tab. This is great if you're scrolling through a list of links and want to open each one in a new tab.

• Force images to the front. Bypass the transparent overlay on sites such as Instagram that prevents you from dragging and opening the contextual menu on images.

• Warns when you paste or type beyond the maximum length in a password field or other text field. Stops you from accidentally losing characters.

• Edit Tab URL: Instead of struggling to edit a URL in the Safari address bar, edit the URL in a large editing field, with buttons to remove the URL query, copy the URL, or open the URL.

• Stop scroll to text fragment. Stops links from automatically highlighting text when the page loads.

• Stop repeating timers. Stops web pages from updating themselves while they're open.

• Protect private windows. Stops the web page from detecting that you're viewing it in a Safari private window.

• Stop websites from overwriting your system clipboard

• Set custom cookies on websites

• Stop web animations

I may have even heard of some people bypassing focus detectors on job application evaluations/tests using this...

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Looks like Valve is opening the sludge gates for Steam: AI Content on Steam

Gaben posted:

Back in June, we shared that while our goal continues to be shipping as many games as possible on Steam, we needed some time to learn about the fast-moving and legally murky space of AI technology, especially given Steam's worldwide reach.

Today, after spending the last few months learning more about this space and talking with game developers, we are making changes to how we handle games that use AI technology. This will enable us to release the vast majority of games that use it.

Sounds like they're not worried about getting sued so bombs away.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

wash bucket posted:

Looks like Valve is opening the sludge gates for Steam: AI Content on Steam

Sounds like they're not worried about getting sued so bombs away.

Shut up and play the latest number goes up simulator

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
You know what I think is funny about games and FTP/PTW? As much as people complain about the grind of progression, especially in number-go-up Sims, it's more achievable than succeeding in real life. Most games will let you accomplish the goal in the title. It's not a complete myth. Real life, however...

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yeah, that's why we invented games, to take us as far from real life bullshit as possible.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

anonumos posted:

You know what I think is funny about games and FTP/PTW? As much as people complain about the grind of progression, especially in number-go-up Sims, it's more achievable than succeeding in real life. Most games will let you accomplish the goal in the title. It's not a complete myth. Real life, however...

I use number go up games for when I need to feel like I"m accomplishing something and then I play full loot pvp games when I feel like being a toxic poo poo lord but not to the people in my life.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Sports broadcasting in general. The NFL has been able to mostly stay on broadcast TV.
But the other 3 big sports have all siloed themselves into either their own cable channels (MLB mostly), or are part of regional cable provider packages (NBA, NHL).

Such that, unless you have those packages, you don't get to watch your local teams. And if you sign up for one of their streaming packages, odds are they will blackout your local teams (in order to protect the deal the local team/cable company has).

So for a casual fan, without cable and without signing up for a subscription service, you'll likely only have a handful of games per year you could watch on broadcast tv.

Ironically the writers/actors strike helped with this over the last year, as the broadcast channels were desperate for content, so they moved some games to the main channels. (ABC with MNF for example, NBA on ABC tonight).

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

I never paid any interest besides mortgage because I pay my monthly statement on time, every time.

Like 800 score

Actually I did pay interest once, my credit started in my early 30's via me loaning the bank money (secured loan) and making payments for a year like $14 total

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Being required to pay interest is a myth yep. I’ve literally never carried a balance except on 0% interest promotions (that’s free money) and my score is over 800

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

redshirt posted:

Sports broadcasting in general. The NFL has been able to mostly stay on broadcast TV.
But the other 3 big sports have all siloed themselves into either their own cable channels (MLB mostly), or are part of regional cable provider packages (NBA, NHL).

Such that, unless you have those packages, you don't get to watch your local teams. And if you sign up for one of their streaming packages, odds are they will blackout your local teams (in order to protect the deal the local team/cable company has).

So for a casual fan, without cable and without signing up for a subscription service, you'll likely only have a handful of games per year you could watch on broadcast tv.

Ironically the writers/actors strike helped with this over the last year, as the broadcast channels were desperate for content, so they moved some games to the main channels. (ABC with MNF for example, NBA on ABC tonight).

This has ironically driven me to going to way more triple AAA / whatever hockey and soccers leagues are called in my city. It is actually a better experience than going to an actual MLB game these days even at Wrigley. It is just a big commercialized poo poo show with a metric poo poo ton of commercial breaks where the players just stand around on the field. The clock changes to speed up the games are a good start but they are just way too long still. They need to cut another 30 minutes or so off to get to a sane speed that was the trend over the last few decades. If they want to get real wild they could bring it down to under 2.5 hours.