Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Armitag3 posted:

two fingers sphincters worth of memes

hawowanlawow posted:

long shirt under t-shirt under super short jacket

What about a

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85zV1fpSJQ0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Yeah that's right, keep em guessing

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
Are they spinning left or right!?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Flakey posted:

Are they spinning left or right!?

Neither. "Left" and "right" are ambiguous terms when referring to rotational motion. They are spinning counterclockwise.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Clockwise and counterclockwise are ambiguous too depending on the position you're looking from when you think about it

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Karate Bastard posted:

Yeah that's right, keep em guessing

Gender reveal party but it's just spinning a big Price Is Right wheel.

mystes posted:

Clockwise and counterclockwise are ambiguous too depending on the position you're looking from when you think about it

Is that why I keep loving up the Right Hand Rule, by imaging myself standing behind the screw facing out?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Takes No Damage posted:

Gender reveal party but it's just spinning a big Price Is Right wheel.

Is that why I keep loving up the Right Hand Rule, by imaging myself standing behind the screw facing out?

Screws don't have hands you moron, you imbecile

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

sebmojo posted:

Screws don't have hands you moron, you imbecile
Screws and snitches

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

mystes posted:

Okay but good luck figuring out the time from behind a clock.

Fish Appreciator
Nov 25, 2021
Hey guys how come mirrors only reflect left and right, but not up and down?

Ok, bye.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

mystes
May 31, 2006

Fish Appreciator posted:

Ok, bye.
they do, but they only activate that feature when they detect that you're lying horizontally in front of them

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Fish Appreciator posted:

Ok, bye.

E: sources are telling me that mirrors don't reflect right/left either.

They only reflect front/back.

Leon Sumbitches has a new favorite as of 00:46 on Jan 10, 2024

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Fish Appreciator posted:

Ok, bye.

serious answer, because it's a common enough confusion that I'm sure at least one person reading this thread is suddenly having their mind blown: flat mirrors DON'T reflect left and right, they reflect in and out. Face a mirror and point to the left, and your reflection will point in the same direction as you. Point forward, and your reflection will point the opposite direction as you. Since "left" and "right" are defined relative to the facing of the speaker/subject, and that facing has been reversed, your left is the same as your reflection's right.

edit: beaten by an edit, that's cheating

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Fuckin' mirrors, how do they work?
and i don't wanna hear from a scientist

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Look at these weirdos who have never rotated a mirror lol

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

I went to the Twist Museum here in London last year and they have a mirror that reflects you accurately somehow

Looking at other people in it is fine, but looking at yourself utterly fucks you up

Oh, it also rotates at intervals. With your accurate reflection rotating with it

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

That was only 1½rd best. The best was if those fake undershirt sleeves were actually skin-coloured fake tattoo sleeves.

The best was the brown hoodie I owned that had a fake "undershirt" so there was like an extra inch of fake checkered shirt at the bottom of the thing like whoops my shirt is longer than my hoodie

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Sounds like some people don't have mirrors on the ceiling over their bed.

So you can watch yourself eating doritos.

kakotheres
Nov 9, 2016

Do the job that is in front of you

Amphigory posted:

Looking at other people in it is fine, but looking at yourself utterly fucks you up

I looked in one of these once. Result, significantly less attractive than I thought
:owned:

kakotheres has a new favorite as of 01:51 on Jan 10, 2024

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Splicer posted:

Screws and snitches

Formerly Chuck’s

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Amphigory posted:

I went to the Twist Museum here in London last year and they have a mirror that reflects you accurately somehow
The simplest way is two mirrors set at 90° to each other so you're essentially seeing a second reflection.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

FFT posted:

The simplest way is two mirrors set at 90° to each other so you're essentially seeing a second reflection.

Turn on your second monitor

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

This just reminds me of Andy Griffith's nickel.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

mystes posted:

Just don't think about it. Problem solved.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

Okay time to settle this once and for all right here in the most appropriate place.
I've seen people press that button a million times and it never made the door close faster. It seems to me like the door closes a set amount of time after opening ot the last triggering of the sensor, and the button does nothing. Or maybe they are just decorative in Europe or someting?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

burexas.irom posted:

Okay time to settle this once and for all right here in the most appropriate place.
I've seen people press that button a million times and it never made the door close faster. It seems to me like the door closes a set amount of time after opening ot the last triggering of the sensor, and the button does nothing. Or maybe they are just decorative in Europe or someting?

The buttons are broken, op.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

burexas.irom posted:

They can be set differently so it's gonna depend on the specific elevator OP.

mystes
May 31, 2006

burexas.irom posted:

In many places they aren't normally enabled. In some countries they apparently are. Either way the elevators presumably need them because they are enabled in fire service mode.

If they don't appear to do anything on elevators where you are they presumably aren't doing anything.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

burexas.irom posted:

in the US at least, the buttons are disabled nearly all the time. The duration that an elevator must stay open is part of the rules established for the Americans with disabilities act:

quote:

Doors must remain fully open for at least three seconds
source: https://www.buildings.com/home/article/10192284/ada-elevators-what-are-the-requirements

btw, in Japan the buttons work.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

That's not my experience with door close buttons in the US, and it's not an ADA requirement that they don't work.

ADA requires that doors default to staying open for a long enough time for someone with movement disabilities to get on/off. There's no requirement that a person can't be allowed to actively ask for the door to close earlier, and that wouldn't make sense as an accommodation for anyone.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

"Open Door" buttons almost always actually work. "Close Door" buttons are like thermostat controls in office buildings. Is it actually connected, or is it just there to make you feel like you have agency?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Kolechia, Arstotzka -- both pathetic in face of glorious Cobrastan!

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

burexas.irom posted:

Both in the US and in Europe, I've been in elevators where they only seem to work if the floor was called from elevator itself.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
The point of the door close button is to give you the ability to save face

"Ohh dang in pressing the door open button *wink* it's not working sorry "

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It's like the buttons at pedestrian crossings. Usually just for show to make you feel like you're doing something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

What the gently caress, Applerankings.com gives Pink Lady a glowing hyper-positive review. What the hell is wrong with the world.