Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Yeah, but I bet drinking a gallon of liquor a day and chainsmoking cigarettes doesn't help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

What is happening? Why are more people in this sphere giving Alex the time of day?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

BigRed0427 posted:

What is happening? Why are more people in this sphere giving Alex the time of day?

Why are more people in the white supremacist/antisemitic hatemonger sphere hanging out with the guy who has been drifting more and more towards open and outward white supremacism?

Idk, probably vibes

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
I don’t know who’s talked to jones that’s surprising really. Greenwald and Dore have been on this track very clearly for years. Alex may go on more other shows out of general financial desperation.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I listened to 3 minutes of Jimmy dore. If Dan makes me listen to even a second of Destiny I will find him and jordan and politely express my grievances with them.

I clicked through the "debate" to see if Destiny's "I am just going to say a long long uninterrupted string of words to try to make my point" style worked.

Predictably, I don't know if he even got a second in before Alex would railroad him

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Real question: there is no real way to debate a person like AJ, but would it be fruitful to counter “whataboutism” him with counter jibes at the right? Just keep making him pause in an anti-abortion rant to “whatabout” defunding school lunches or the relaxing of childhood labor laws. Just make his rear end stop and try get him to switch into justifying awful Republican policies that are in practice.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
I think the closest you could get to productive would require having a mute button for his mic and unwaveringly forcing him back on a single topic and making him provide actual sources every time he makes a silly claim.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Oh, I should clarify that this is performative and not productive. I just want to see Alex talk himself into a corner about how the Bible justifies the prison-industrial complex while in the middle of a transphobic rant. I just want to hear that gearbox in his head grind itself into slivers.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

BigRed0427 posted:

I think it's a result of desperation, basically. Tucker got relegated to just being some dude on Twitter spaces and I think the market is kind of drying up slowly, so they're looking to get attention in any way they can. In these cases Jones is like a carnival show they can use to get a bit of a boost, kind of how Crowder turned to Jones when his whole career looked to be going to poo poo.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jan 10, 2024

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Also seriously what's that dumbass got to lose going on more crap?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Marsupial Ape posted:

Real question: there is no real way to debate a person like AJ, but would it be fruitful to counter “whataboutism” him with counter jibes at the right? Just keep making him pause in an anti-abortion rant to “whatabout” defunding school lunches or the relaxing of childhood labor laws. Just make his rear end stop and try get him to switch into justifying awful Republican policies that are in practice.
I've tried to force conversations/"debates" back onto topic but the people that meander like Alex does are practically immune to it.

"No, let's focus on the thing you're saying about traffic cameras"

"Yeah, the globalists at the WEF etc etc etc"

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

FFT posted:

I've tried to force conversations/"debates" back onto topic but the people that meander like Alex does are practically immune to it.

Accusing them of cowardice every time they change topics helps. Until they just storm off at least.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Xiahou Dun posted:

Accusing them of cowardice every time they change topics helps. Until they just storm off at least.
Oh, sure, that did work on the shouty traffic cameras guy when I called him a coward for not just saying The Jews, but nobody learned anything.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

FFT posted:

I’m thinking more like countering a whataboutism with a whataboutism…but it’s one that you know Alex will go off on a tangent on. But only for like 45 seconds until you hit him with another. When you’re dealing with a self-convinced know-it-all, just keep changing the subject until they start contradicting themselves. I do it to my chuddy older brother, all the time.

Like, in your example, when you want get him back on track with traffic cameras you say something like “haha, yeah, it’s funny how traffic cameras can see your face through a moving windshield, but a cop’s body camera always seems to fail when a Black man dies in custody…” and then you got him slamming his gears to defend institutionalized racism in the justice system. Then you can got him lined up for trying to square his Thin Blue Line bullshit with Globalist Police State bullshit.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

I've had better results just abandoning reality and getting surreal instead.

"Yeah, the Earth is flat, and Antarctica is obviously in the middle"

"Obviously the Moon landing was faked, are you saying you actually think the Moon is real??"

"They will tell you reptilians are behind it, but really they're closer to frogs"

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
"Oh, you think the border wall is going to be used to keep people out?"

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

I listened to 3 minutes of Jimmy dore. If Dan makes me listen to even a second of Destiny I will find him and jordan and politely express my grievances with them.

Welp, bad news for you today!

Made it fifty minutes into today's episode before needing a break. It hasn't even been that bad yet, but this collection of shitheads is just... a lot. Like, trying to listen to the Krassensteins alone was enough to drain me, but then you throw in Destiny and Greenwald on top of that along with Alex's usual horseshit, and I had to tap out for the moment

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Is this episode at least informative? If I can get some insight onto HOW these people are lying and the methods they use to be so deceptive, then i'll tank the shittiness, but if it's just Dan playing clips and going "this sucks", then i'll pass

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Morter posted:

Is this episode at least informative? If I can get some insight onto HOW these people are lying and the methods they use to be so deceptive, then i'll tank the shittiness, but if it's just Dan playing clips and going "this sucks", then i'll pass

It's kind of entertaining listening to Alex figure out just exactly how much crap he can get away with under the guise of it being a debate. I'm admittedly only about halfway through, and I might not listen to the second half.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
After listening to Wednesday's episode, I went and also listened to Jon Ronson's podcast, and... man. I was not prepared for how viscerally I'd react to some of that poo poo.

Here I had thought that, having listened to all this Knowledge Fight, I was somewhat desensitized to listening to abhorrent people on the internet. Turns out it's probably only an inoculation against Alex-style bullshit. Eurgh.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Morter posted:

It's a shitshow. There are some new voices to discover, and Alex is yakked out of his mind.

This Destiny dude gives some semi effective pushback which is kind of unusual for Alexs normal ranting and there is some fun trolling like 2/3 through the ep

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 12, 2024

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Jesus christ I was not expecting to have to listen to Tim Pool for five minutes at the start of this cavalcade of insanity

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

bio347 posted:

After listening to Wednesday's episode, I went and also listened to Jon Ronson's podcast, and... man. I was not prepared for how viscerally I'd react to some of that poo poo.

Here I had thought that, having listened to all this Knowledge Fight, I was somewhat desensitized to listening to abhorrent people on the internet. Turns out it's probably only an inoculation against Alex-style bullshit. Eurgh.

Yeah, it's just Alex. Part of it is familiarity, but another part of it is most of these other ding dongs are just terrible to listen to. Like, I didn't disagree with anything the Krassensteins said in the clips I heard, it was just extremely hard for me to hear them without focusing all of my attention on them; they are actually terrible speakers. Alex is a terrible human being with awful things to say, but he's very good at being heard; his voice isn't grating like, say, Tucker's, and you don't have to strain to hear him like some other speakers such as Greenwald

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
I almost flipped a table at "Let's not have this be a formal debate, feel free to interrupt each other". If you can shout the other person down, it's not a debate.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah I don't want to focus too much on the superficial but all of these dudes have the worst cartoon nerd voices, it's awful. How do you gather a group of people and Alex Jones is the most pleasant to listen to?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Froghammer posted:

I almost flipped a table at "Let's not have this be a formal debate, feel free to interrupt each other". If you can shout the other person down, it's not a debate.
Yes it is.

/e: lordy lordy it's a 3.5 hour episode :gonk:

stringless fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 12, 2024

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah I don't want to focus too much on the superficial but all of these dudes have the worst cartoon nerd voices, it's awful. How do you gather a group of people and Alex Jones is the most pleasant to listen to?
He's the only one with any modicum of media training

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Froghammer posted:

I dunno about "training" per se but he's been talking/blustering professionally for nearly 30 years.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

an AOL chatroom posted:

It's kind of entertaining listening to Alex figure out just exactly how much crap he can get away with under the guise of it being a debate. I'm admittedly only about halfway through, and I might not listen to the second half.

Ok, just listened to the second half where Alex is just literally making noises into the microphone so nobody else can be heard. That was insane.

Froghammer posted:

He's definitely honed his voice (in the current era, where he's not just imitating Rush Limbaugh) and if weren't used for the most hateful garbage, it's one that'd be great for a non-crazy podcast. Give me an Alex Jones who grew up with normal parents and just really got into model trains, building canoes, or birdwatching.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Grand Fromage posted:

The Bed brothers especially sound like they'd be liberal twig boy antagonists of the week on King of the Hill.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

an AOL chatroom posted:

Give me an Alex Jones who grew up with normal parents and just really got into model trains, building canoes, or birdwatching.

Don't forget one that also doesn't get prophetic hallucinations from long term intermittent hypoxia.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

an AOL chatroom posted:

He's definitely honed his voice (in the current era, where he's not just imitating Rush Limbaugh) and if weren't used for the most hateful garbage, it's one that'd be great for a non-crazy podcast. Give me an Alex Jones who grew up with normal parents and just really got into model trains, building canoes, or birdwatching.

It really is a shame, with his voice and timbre he could add gravitas to most subjects and make them sound good, but unfortunately he is a dumb drunk man who raves about the worst poo poo

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

ILL Machina posted:

Don't forget one that also doesn't get prophetic hallucinations from long term intermittent hypoxia.

Don’t forget hot-boxing roach-killer in a crawl space as a child.

Also this ep was rough for the first chunk, but I’m enjoying this Destiny cat utterly owning Alex, even if it’s pointless. I’m glad Dan gave some backstory on him, or otherwise I’d have a mildly positive opinion of him.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Xiahou Dun posted:

Don’t forget hot-boxing roach-killer in a crawl space as a child.

wait what?? hahaha

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I forget the full story ; it’s real early in, so that’s legit like 800 episodes ago. A young Alex got trapped under some relative’ house when it was getting fumigated and spent too much time (i.e. any) breathing some noxious poo poo.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I wish someone had shown Dan the only funny thing that's come from Destiny in the last few years which was his recent stream with his mom where she talks about growing up on the big plantation her parents owned and ran in Cuba before they suddenly lost it for some reason.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
Someone needs to slip Jordan a sedative. Jesus Christ. He's regressing to his pre-episode 100 behavior.

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

I wish someone had shown Dan the only funny thing that's come from Destiny in the last few years which was his recent stream with his mom where she talks about growing up on the big plantation her parents owned and ran in Cuba before they suddenly lost it for some reason.

How old is destiny that his mom grew up in pre-revolution Cuba??

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Mr Scumbag posted:

Someone needs to slip Jordan a sedative. Jesus Christ. He's regressing to his pre-episode 100 behavior.

Chaos Jordan is my favorite and matches the current timeline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

I genuinely would not have been able to make it through this episode without Jordan's energy. It would've just been a frustrating and miserable experience to hear Alex steamroll everyone on that panel with such dumb bullshit, even by his own standards.