Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Yeah health fit owns so much. I just cancelled my Athlytic subscription because I figure staying in the green in that new bar is similar to the recommendations there. Thanks Fedule! Didn’t know! You can even have widgets displaying whatever, pretty cool and a good reminder that I’ve been slacking lol. Shame it doesn’t do any complications for the watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Fedule posted:

Previously on My Posting, I lamented the kind of blunt approach Apple (and, I guess, Google) take to the recommendations their fitness tracking apps make, on the basis that while generally moving more is good, their basic offerings make no allowances for breaks or rest days and rely on you inputting an arbitrary calorie target and then judge you for not meeting it every day.

Hello I had an unbroken streak that went to 2000+ days for all 3 rings. Not only that but I would make sure I got every random activity badge like earth day and so on. There were times when I realized I hadn’t closed my rings at 11:30pm and forced myself out of bed to walk around the block. There were times when I forgot to track a run using my watch and at the end of the day I’d figure out a way to “fake” the data in to keep that streak going (it wasn’t cheating you see, because I actually did the exercise it just wasn’t tracked).

Then one day, one glorious day, I forgot or something and didn’t close my rings. That was the happiest day of my life. It was like I opened my eyes for the first time and was looking into the face of god and it was the most beautiful sight in the world. I heard the angels singing and everything. It was the happiest day of my life.

Since that day I’ve stopped giving a god drat poo poo about the rings and I’m happy.

I hope you find happiness too.

No rings no masters

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

You also never let it increase your calorie goal did you?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I increased it higher and higher for a while to keep pushing but then had to dial it (and exercise) down a bit when poo poo started getting scary with covid cause I didn’t wanna, you know, die. But I still obsessed over how I could close every single ring while spending the least amount of time outside.

I don’t even know what my calorie and exercise rings are set to anymore and I’ve stopped paying attention to the stand ring completely because it’s just so useless and gives me credit for standing even though I’m sitting on my rear end.

E: Oh if you’re talking about those monthly goals that keep going up forever (oh you ran 30km last month? How about you do 900km this month for this stupid badge) yeah I think I didn’t compete all of those.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Dec 11, 2023

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
https://9to5mac.com/2023/12/18/apple-halting-apple-watch-series-9-and-apple-watch-ultra-2-sales/

If you're considering an AW9 or Ultra 2, go buy one right the gently caress now.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Dec 18, 2023

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Real shame that the world's most valuable company can't afford to license patents.

(assuming it's a valid patent, I don't loving know and I know patent trolls are out there. but Apple lost the case so it's kind of irrelevant at this point)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

https://9to5mac.com/2023/12/18/apple-halting-apple-watch-series-9-and-apple-watch-ultra-2-sales/

If you're considering an AW9 or Ultra 2, go buy one right the gently caress now.

Perfect timing to push people over the edge for Christmas 🤔

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

xzzy posted:

Real shame that the world's most valuable company can't afford to license patents.

(assuming it's a valid patent, I don't loving know and I know patent trolls are out there. but Apple lost the case so it's kind of irrelevant at this point)

It’s some bullshit and they won their district court case, they only lost at the ITC. But I mean it’s good that a patent on one minor feature can take a product entirely off market, right?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Kalman posted:

But I mean it’s good that a patent on one minor feature can take a product entirely off market, right?

Apple lives by this sword they can die by it. Pledging my fealty to product availabilities seems asinine, as does blaming anyone attempting to hold the largest corps in the world accountable for anything, but you do you.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Grassy Knowles posted:

Apple lives by this sword they can die by it. Pledging my fealty to product availabilities seems asinine, as does blaming anyone attempting to hold the largest corps in the world accountable for anything, but you do you.

They really don’t assert offensively, minus the Samsung case. I work on patent litigation for a living, this case is less “hold the largest corporations accountable” and more “hold up the largest corporations so they have to pay us way more than the feature is worth”. Masimo’s a billion dollar corporation that’s made most of its money gouging medical providers, I don’t think anyone should approve of them trying to extend that into other economic sectors.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Kalman posted:

They really don’t assert offensively, minus the Samsung case. I work on patent litigation for a living, this case is less “hold the largest corporations accountable” and more “hold up the largest corporations so they have to pay us way more than the feature is worth”. Masimo’s a billion dollar corporation that’s made most of its money gouging medical providers, I don’t think anyone should approve of them trying to extend that into other economic sectors.

I can’t find the text now but when I read the Plaintiff’s patent text describing the innovation, it seemed like something vague enough to describe literally any pulse oximeter in the last 20 years.

I don’t really care if Apple loses but I do care about stupid patents overreaching.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Kalman posted:

I was just coming into this thread to ask about how big of a deal this is in the grand scheme of things, and you seemed to answer my question.

But yeah, patents suck and just hurt everyone, and it’s interesting to see it finally hurt a corporation as massive as Apple.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It’s weird that they added a workout end confirmation prompt in 10.0… and then made it a setting in 10.2. And mine defaulted back to off.

I guess people had feedback on it?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I don’t know, but moving the end workout button and replacing it with “start a new segment” was cruel

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah that's the one thing I'm mad about. Muscle memory is a bitch.

I'm also still swiping up to get to the control panel.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

how to tell you had a fun day

https://i.imgur.com/M0mjmdi.mp4

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Yeah that's the one thing I'm mad about. Muscle memory is a bitch.

Yeah, 99% of the time I am on that screen I hit one button. And they move it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

Long hike?

I’ve had some insane move and exercise rings when I go skiing and leave Slopes on all day.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, was on a trail basically from sunup to sundown.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Has anyone else developed skin irritation from the Ultra or Ultra 2 after switching from an older model?

I was using a Series 7 previously and it was fine, the only other watch of any kind I've had this with was a non-smart Fossil that left a red patch on my wrist for a month or so after I stopped wearing it due to itching. No problems with the series 3, 4, or 7, and likewise no problems with my Tissot or Seiko watches. I've had the Ultra 2 for about three weeks and I've already gotten the same kind of red patch that Fossil gave me.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Branch Nvidian posted:

Has anyone else developed skin irritation from the Ultra or Ultra 2 after switching from an older model?

I was using a Series 7 previously and it was fine, the only other watch of any kind I've had this with was a non-smart Fossil that left a red patch on my wrist for a month or so after I stopped wearing it due to itching. No problems with the series 3, 4, or 7, and likewise no problems with my Tissot or Seiko watches. I've had the Ultra 2 for about three weeks and I've already gotten the same kind of red patch that Fossil gave me.

From a summary check on the product pages, ultra doesn't have a full glass back like a standard watch so you will have to keep the watch clean to avoid rashes if you have sensible skin.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Anyone have a good Ali Express or Amazon knockoff of the Ultra ocean band? Mine came with the trail loop and it's getting a bit off-colored and dirty-looking. Definitely don't feel like spending $100 one a new one.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

xzzy posted:

The day we went to Singapore Flyer, Bird Paradise and Night Safari was a killer.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Related, if you start a Functional Strength workout, it’ll never bother you with the “who are you kidding, you’re not exercising” pop up.

Edit: oops or maybe that’s changed and it gives you half an hour of no movement.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Dec 29, 2023

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

SlowBloke posted:

From a summary check on the product pages, ultra doesn't have a full glass back like a standard watch so you will have to keep the watch clean to avoid rashes if you have sensible skin.

Wut product pages?

https://support.apple.com/en-am/HT204665#:~:text=titanium%20case%2C%20sapphire%20crystal%2C-,ceramic%20back,-Apple%20Watch%20Series%209

Unless I am misreading, this doesn't indicate a difference in material construction in the backs for standard vs. Ultra watches. Whatever "ceramic" is, maybe there is a difference, but I didn't think any were full glass.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Inner Light posted:

Wut product pages?

https://support.apple.com/en-am/HT204665#:~:text=titanium%20case%2C%20sapphire%20crystal%2C-,ceramic%20back,-Apple%20Watch%20Series%209

Unless I am misreading, this doesn't indicate a difference in material construction in the backs for standard vs. Ultra watches. Whatever "ceramic" is, maybe there is a difference, but I didn't think any were full glass.

While both are extremely rare, titanium allergies seems more likely than ceramic.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I meant by looking at product photos in the apple watch mini site. Unlike the standard watch, where most of the back is a slab of glass or glass-like crystal, the ultra only has a little bit at the center made of glass, with the rest made of other materials which might trigger rash reactions if not kept clean while you are getting heated/sweaty.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Thoughts on going from a 40mm watch to a 45mm? +$30 for a bigger screen seems like a good deal, but I'm wondering if it'd feel clumsy or awkward with my average-sized wrists/hands. fwiw I've been on a Series 5 til now; mainly interested in an upgrade because the battery is shot and not sure if it's worth putting $100 into the old hardware at this point.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Haven’t tried the ultra, but the solo loop is bad for skin reactions. Not that the ultra has that band, but which band are you using? Does it look like the irritation is coming from the watch or the band?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Evis posted:

Haven’t tried the ultra, but the solo loop is bad for skin reactions. Not that the ultra has that band, but which band are you using? Does it look like the irritation is coming from the watch or the band?

Irritation was coming from where the sensors touch my wrist, just a circle of itchy skin. I washed the watch off and didn't wear it for a day, put it back on yesterday and it felt fine, started itching again today though so idk. I'm not giving this watch a bath every day. Still in the return window, so I may just send it back.

e: left out a word

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Dec 31, 2023

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Minidust posted:

Thoughts on going from a 40mm watch to a 45mm? +$30 for a bigger screen seems like a good deal, but I'm wondering if it'd feel clumsy or awkward with my average-sized wrists/hands. fwiw I've been on a Series 5 til now; mainly interested in an upgrade because the battery is shot and not sure if it's worth putting $100 into the old hardware at this point.

Nothing will beat trying one on in person, if you're able to do that. I was debating the same thing and after trying one on, I decided I wouldn't like a 45mm with my wrist size/where I'd want to wear the watch.

Also, bring a long sleeve shirt or jacket to wear when you try it on with. It can affect where you'd like your watch to sit, and what size watch you'd like.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i was getting some mild irritation from my 9 series (both under the watch and a bit under the strap). i started wearing it on my opposite wrist when i sleep now and the issue seems to have resolved itself now that i'm not wearing it on the same place 23 hours per day.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Found out a funny thing but the act of putting your arm out the window of a car with a cig and tapping the butt of the cig to knock the ash off triggers the Double-Tap action even though my fingers are absolutely not touching.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Branch Nvidian posted:

Irritation was coming from where the sensors touch my wrist, just a circle of itchy skin. I washed the watch off and didn't wear it for a day, put it back on yesterday and it felt fine, started itching again today though so idk. I'm not giving this watch a bath every day. Still in the return window, so I may just send it back.

e: left out a word

I'm guessing you are wearing it too tight. Not necessarily too tight for most people or that it feels too tight, but it too tight for you and your specific skin. It is extremely unlikely you are having an allergic reaction to the ceramic back while contact dermatitis is a common reaction from a watch being too tight.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Thirst Mutilator posted:

Nothing will beat trying one on in person, if you're able to do that. I was debating the same thing and after trying one on, I decided I wouldn't like a 45mm with my wrist size/where I'd want to wear the watch.

Also, bring a long sleeve shirt or jacket to wear when you try it on with. It can affect where you'd like your watch to sit, and what size watch you'd like.
good call, in a lot of ways it is a fashion choice more than anything. might as well be asking goons to pick out an outfit. I'll make a point of checking out a nearby Apple Store soon, thanks!

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

This is super weird and I'm not sure if it belongs here or the iPhone thread, but I just got a text message on my watch that doesn't appear on my phone at all, and this watch does not have cellular.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Glimpse posted:

This is super weird and I'm not sure if it belongs here or the iPhone thread, but I just got a text message on my watch that doesn't appear on my phone at all, and this watch does not have cellular.

Kill and relaunch messages.app on your phone

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Jose Oquendo posted:

Kill and relaunch messages.app on your phone

Did that, message is still gone. Also rebooted watch and phone.

Replied via the watch and that shows on the phone, as does the sender’s next message in the chain, just that one message is gone.

Like I said this isn’t a cel watch, so the message was received by the phone and then pushed to the watch, and then lost by the phone?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’ve had that happen quite a few times.

It shows up eventually on the phone :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Ok, good to know. loving haunted tech.