Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Narcissus1916 posted:

Kotaku getting in on the fun - https://kotaku.com/boomer-shooter-retro-fps-dusk-ion-fury-prodeus-1851144571

Needs more Hrot and Cultic only getting a mention is lame, but there's a few here I haven't even heard of

I probably just need to get over myself, but I do a clinteastwoodshudder.gif every time I see Prodeus mentioned.

I had a pretty mediocre experience with that game start to finish, and it’s probably by some distance the least interesting of these games I’ve played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Bumhead posted:

I probably just need to get over myself, but I do a clinteastwoodshudder.gif every time I see Prodeus mentioned.

I had a pretty mediocre experience with that game start to finish, and it’s probably by some distance the least interesting of these games I’ve played.

I really liked it for the first few hours but have to agree

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.
Prodeus strikes me as the most literal interpretation of "what if you could run Doom 2016 on a toaster?"

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Unfortunately I'm inclined to agree for a number of reasons. That being said, the preview of that DLC/expansion/whatever that was shown at Realms Deep(?) looks more interesting though--lots of verticality, high-mobility, faster pacing, etc.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
To me, Prodeus feels like somebody asking the question "can we make Doom (2016) as a lo-fi boomer shooter?" and largely failing to understand the things that made Doom 2016 good, like enemy design & readability, pacing and movement mechanics, arena layouts, etc.

It is absolutely a "we have Doom at home" game, with a difficulty that was mangled by the controversial respawn system, forgettable bestiary and AI, and fight compositions where things frequently didn't seem to complement each other.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 9, 2024

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea Prodeus felt like someone had a crystal clear mental image of what a 5 second slice of combat would look like, visually, and then built backwards from there. Things like the bestiary really can't be merely 'good enough', they're the stuff that carry the game.

I'm fond of Prodeus, and they've even patched out the odious save system I've heard, but it was too little too late for such a flawed product. And it's a shame, too, as it's issues are totally things that coulda been fixed with a bit more polish before the 1.0 release.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Serephina posted:

I'm fond of Prodeus, and they've even patched out the odious save system I've heard,
Was excited to hear this but it looks like it hasn't actually been implemented yet. Anyway, I liked Prodeus quite alot, unimaginative though it was. Great combat and I thought the maps were pretty great right up until you get to the blue dimension and are stuck fighting the eponymous Prodean monster variants. Then it picks up a little bit when you leave, then it just...ends.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Doctor Bishop posted:

Prodeus strikes me as the most literal interpretation of "what if you could run Doom 2016 on a toaster?"

Could you not run Doom 2016 on a toaster? Funny story, I actually got Eternal about 2.5 weeks ago. But the last time I hooked my cables up to my monitor I defaulted to where I plugged it for years before I got my new graphics card so I'd been playing it on a 6-7 year old integral graphics thingamabob. Looked pretty drat good, somehow played even better. Just an absolute masterpiece of optimization.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Unfortunately I'm inclined to agree for a number of reasons. That being said, the preview of that DLC/expansion/whatever that was shown at Realms Deep(?) looks more interesting though--lots of verticality, high-mobility, faster pacing, etc.

Oh yeah same. I'm also a sucker for rampaging through heaven which is what it kinda looked like

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

To me, Prodeus feels like somebody asking the question "can we make Doom (2016) as a lo-fi boomer shooter?" and largely failing to understand the things that made Doom 2016 good, like enemy design & readability, pacing and movement mechanics, arena layouts, etc.

It is absolutely a "we have Doom at home" game, with a difficulty that was mangled by the controversial respawn system, forgettable bestiary and AI, and fight compositions where things frequently didn't seem to complement each other.

Prodeus is much more like Brutal Doom than Doom 2016.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I liked Prodeus in a Doom 2 methadone way, and for the two maps where it suddenly becomes Quake methadone I was pretty happy and then the game ended

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I just now realized you could launch timed grenades in Cultic instead of contact

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Milo and POTUS posted:

Could you not run Doom 2016 on a toaster? Funny story, I actually got Eternal about 2.5 weeks ago. But the last time I hooked my cables up to my monitor I defaulted to where I plugged it for years before I got my new graphics card so I'd been playing it on a 6-7 year old integral graphics thingamabob. Looked pretty drat good, somehow played even better. Just an absolute masterpiece of optimization.

Yeah I started playing 2016 when I still had my old GeForce 560 from like a decade earlier, and somehow it managed. Obviously when I upgraded I enjoyed being able to turn everything to max, but it was an entirely playable experience on older hardware too.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
Doom 2016 was pretty permissible: it’d run - albeit in OpenGL only - on Fermi hardware like that GTX 560, so long as it hit the necessary performance threadhold and had full-speed access to a gig or more of VRAM. That was a bigger hurdle than it sounds: in addition to a lot of that vintage of card hovering around a gig of RAM, the GTX 550 Ti (as a common example) had a 192-bit memory controller and only enjoyed full-speed access to 768 MB of it, with the last 256MB only served by a third of the memory bandwidth. A GTX 650 Ti or 750 Ti were both fine baseline cards for the game. Pre-GCN Radeons like the HD 5800 and HD 6800 and higher could manage it okay, but IIRC they never got a specific driver for Doom 2016, so performance was lower than it probably should have been and there was a weird rendering bug that’d show up as some kind of weird visual noise at a set distance from the player. But it scaled really well, that’s true.

As a Vulkan-native title that jettisoned OpenGL entirely Doom Eternal was a different kettle of fish, but they’re both extremely well-optimized.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Doom 2016 was one of the few games that could do a solid 1080p60 on PS4

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Doom 2016 is also, IMO, one of the most impressive games you can play on a Steam Deck, alongside Titanfall 2.

Seeing a handheld version of that game that runs almost without compromise at 60fps is loving extraordinary. Especially if you've played the Switch version (which I actually really like too for what it is)

Eternal is mega impressive too, although I noticed marginally more of a performance hitch with that (and also gently caress playing Eternal on a controller)

I think playing it as a "handheld game" might justify another Wolfenstein: TNO play through too. That mid-gen PS4 era is a real sweet spot for AAA games running amazing on Deck and it's been a minute since I played that game.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
I definitely like how Prodeus includes a polished map editor in the installer. Does it have much of a community? You'll never know until you ship it. (I've never built much beyond a few rooms, though.)
And I DEFINITELY like how they included their own level browser / community commenting features. Prodeus did a lot of things correctly on release. I'm interested in what Prodeus 2 will turn out to be now that they've built up a base in Prodeus 1 - this is a Doom 2016 / Doom Eternal situation.

Except... Doom's CAD layout is a sweet spot between flexibility and simplicity. It's not like wolfenstein where you may as well use a monospace text editor for your level layout, and not like Doom 3 where its "Staff of modelers and environment artists works alongside a staff of level designers". Prodeus mapping has a learning curve.

Serephina posted:

I'm fond of Prodeus, and they've even patched out the odious save system I've heard, but it was too little too late for such a flawed product. And it's a shame, too, as it's issues are totally things that coulda been fixed with a bit more polish before the 1.0 release.

Game was announced in 2018 and released in 3rd quarter 2022. That is A LOT of time for an indie FPS, but given full multiplayer and all the mapping and community features* - I think it's "hey we gotta ship one of these days... we'll patch based on community feedback and leave some juice for Prodeus 2."

* I want Prodeus's in game community map browser so badly for Doom or Quake. But, no, I don't want to re-re-learn C++.

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jan 9, 2024

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i'm one of the few who liked prodeus so grain of salt and all that but yeah, it does have quite a bit of community maps for a small title, many of them being pretty good. last i played they no one was doing megawad stuff though, so it's a lot of single maps, although there are a few, like 2-3 level "sets" that you were told in the description to play sequentially with others

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I really wish there was more maps and campaigns. Hopefully the game gets improved and more people try their hand because I liked the bones.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Doom 2016 makes you wish they still licensed out their engine a ton.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I played so many user maps of Prodeus but amusingly you could set your map to not allow respawning and since theres no in level save its a mandatory iron man run of a level and those designers made sure to put the most dickish traps possible into their stages

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Prodeus is up there with Rage for "that's really it?!" endings.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Klaus88 posted:

Rage's ending was such a hilarious nothingburger.

An interesting new (I think?) Half-Life mod that I'm watching Cpt. Sledge play on Twitch right now: Delta Particles. It looks cool and I don't think anybody's brought it up yet. Good timing since I'm well into replaying HL.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Prodeus at least had a boss to fight at the end of an arena, even if the following cinematic was rubbish.

Rage otoh, in addition to a poorly-compressed video cinematic done with no budget, also triggers seemingly by accident when you flick a switch at the end of a totally normal corridor. It truly is in a league of it's own.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

loaded up DOOM 64 on Steam Deck again last night...
drat that game rules

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Anyone know if the ROTT:LE (lunch)boxed release is still happening? It was in a Limited Run showcase like a year ago but radio silence since then

Quantum of Phallus posted:

loaded up DOOM 64 on Steam Deck again last night...
drat that game rules

:yeah:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Jennell Jaquays, who worked on Quake 2 & 3 and a bunch of other stuff, as well as being Burger Becky's wife, has passed away: https://bsky.app/profile/burgerbecky.bsky.social/post/3kimlhnqmqs2j

This was the fund for her hospital expenses, and I'm guessing it'll now be used to pay for a funeral and the remaining hospital bills: https://www.gofundme.com/f/jennell-jaquays-has-a-long-road-back

Rest in power, Jennell.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jan 10, 2024

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Klaus88 posted:

I laughed when I played through it because not only is it a sudden stop, it’s a sudden stop in the middle of transitioning to what’s signaled as the real ending.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Arivia posted:

Jennell Jaquays, who worked on Quake 2 & 3 and a bunch of other stuff, as well as being Burger Becky's wife, has passed away: https://bsky.app/profile/burgerbecky.bsky.social/post/3kimlhnqmqs2j

This was the fund for her hospital expenses, and I'm guessing it'll now be used to pay for a funeral and the remaining hospital bills: https://www.gofundme.com/f/jennell-jaquays-has-a-long-road-back

Rest in power, Jennell.

drat, I saw Becky tweeting about this the last few weeks/months. What a heartbreaker. Rest in power

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
Oof. Every interview Burger Becky gives is super interesting, and I'd donated when this started. Jennell Jaquays's situation could be said to be complications on top of complications, and modern medicine can only do so much. RIP.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Aside from her just being an industry icon, I think I mentioned upthread already that I personally have memories of Jaquays' generosity when dealing with me and the map/mod community in the Quake days... full of help and advice. Sad day.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
:smith:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
God drat it. That’s heartbreaking.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

It wasn't that long ago that they put a kickstarter or similar up for her was it? That loving sucks. RIP for sure

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

It wasn't that long ago that they put a kickstarter or similar up for her was it? That loving sucks. RIP for sure

Yeah that's where I recognize the name from--the news around the Kickstarter from a little while back.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Arivia posted:

Rest in power, Jennell.

I saw this just a bit earlier and audibly gasped, even though I knew she was going through health issues. Nerd poo poo would be so much worse without her, I knw I always think of her TTRPG work before I think of her video game work, and that she was so important to both is incredible.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

aw man :smith:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Guess I can't hate Randy Pitchford too much now, he chipped in $5k to the gofundme.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
No, you can still hate someone who has done 1 (one) good thing in their life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Pitchford has an estimated worth of 20 mil 5k is a drop in the bucket. my hate for him and every other CEO is limitless. RIP Jaquays. What a legend.