Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

JethroMcB posted:

Cul de Sac

Foxtrot Classic

Rose is Rose

Great character design.

Looks first year Garfield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (January 14-18, 2004)

Oh hai mark nat

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Samovar posted:

loving hell, that news about Wallace the Brave.
I can't think of a comic strip currently running that I'd consider better than Wallace the Brave. Maybe I'll put new Flash Gordon up there with it if the creator doesn't burn out in the next two years from doing a serial adventure story with actually good pacing, but it'd be a tie, not a displacement. It is absolutely insane to me that any paper - let alone its HOMETOWN's paper - would remove it for another strip on their own initiative, let alone for something like Crankshaft, which is somehow slightly WORSE than the eternal zombie reruns of Peanuts or even FOOB.

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

so long suckers! i rev up my baesball team and create a huge winstreak. when the winstreak dissipates im lying completely dead in the dugout.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

And so Ed Crankshaft dies of complications following surgery to repair a fractured hip, thus completing the total transformation of Crankshaft into Winkerbean 2.0.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
After the fall he's never the same again. Declines rapidly once in a care home and dies off screen. Funky moves into the Crankshaft role, Mopey Pete becomes the new Funky. The cycle continues ever onward.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise: With Love From Rufus

Last thread or maybe the one before that Modesty's age was canonically stated in one of these as being twenty-five. I seem to recall that most of us agreed that seemed like an unrealistically lowball estimate for a woman we'd assumed had to be at least thirty. Moments like this where Modesty is acting like she'd be a cradle robber for hooking up with a twenty-year-old definitely do a lot to back up that headcanon.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Some Guy TT posted:

Last thread or maybe the one before that Modesty's age was canonically stated in one of these as being twenty-five. I seem to recall that most of us agreed that seemed like an unrealistically lowball estimate for a woman we'd assumed had to be at least thirty. Moments like this where Modesty is acting like she'd be a cradle robber for hooking up with a twenty-year-old definitely do a lot to back up that headcanon.

Yeah, I don't think O'Donnell explicitly states Modesty's age, and I know in a some of the books it the character mentions that even she isn't sure how old she is. According to the wikipedia article Modesty is usually stated to be in her late 20's and Willie in his mid 30's.

quote:

In keeping with the "floating timeline" spirit of other long-running comic strip and literary characters, Modesty and Willie generally do not age over the decades, with Modesty always being depicted as being in her late 20s and Willie eight years older. The only exceptions to this rule occur in the comic strip origin story, "In the Beginning"; the 1996 short-story collection Cobra Trap, the final Modesty Blaise book, which contains five stories that take place where Modesty's age moves from 20 to 52 (approximately); and the 2003 film My Name Is Modesty, which is a prequel depicting Modesty in her late teens.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

The_Other posted:

Yeah, I don't think O'Donnell explicitly states Modesty's age, and I know in a some of the books it the character mentions that even she isn't sure how old she is. According to the wikipedia article Modesty is usually stated to be in her late 20's and Willie in his mid 30's.

If I remember correctly from the books, Modesty was still a teenager when she created The Network, and in her early 20s when she and Willie cashed out and "retired."

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Selachian posted:

If I remember correctly from the books, Modesty was still a teenager when she created The Network, and in her early 20s when she and Willie cashed out and "retired."

Quoting relevant comics from the 2022 thread:

Transmodiar posted:

Modest Blaise: "La Machine"

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Most prospective employers don’t look favorably on people who received a new job title and then immediately quit. Josh is so incredibly bad at playing people.

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010

Green Intern posted:

Most prospective employers don’t look favorably on people who received a new job title and then immediately quit. Josh is so incredibly bad at playing people.

Josh is bad at people in general

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: From Rufus With Love

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
We Are Reproducing

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I'm kind of starting to see a pattern with this woman.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

I'd like to explicitly clarify, since I'd misremembered this from the first time I read the comic, that Sohn didn't have a heart attack because the Cowboys lost, but because he realized Planck was going to do the Ultimate Defense poorly on purpose to cripple himself and the aggravation caused by that killed Sohn before he could stop the game. There's no way for any other character to know this, though, since we only saw it from Sohn's internal perspective.

edit: The original post had one of the thought bubbles not translated, sorry.

Some Guy TT fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jan 12, 2024

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
The Dingbat Family/The Family Upstairs(July 12, 1910)

Baron Bean(January 11, 1916)

Positive Polly/Polly and Her Pals(December 10, 1912)

Gasoline Alley(August 30, 1919)

Us Boys(August 19, 1911)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

I'd like to explicitly clarify, since I'd misremembered this from the first time I read the comic, that Sohn didn't have a heart attack because the Cowboys lost, but because he realized Planck was going to do the Ultimate Defense poorly on purpose to cripple himself and the aggravation caused by that killed Sohn before he could stop the game. There's no way for any other character to know this, though, since we only saw it from Sohn's internal perspective.

:suspense: What a finale!

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
So now, even if the Demons win the next game (putting them 4-1 in the series) they get recognition, but not paid right? Sohn's dead, Plank's a vegetable, and the team is going to be disbanded regardless of any game outcome? What a story!

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

"I Could Murder This Child If I Had To So He Gets Extra Candy"

Drive It Like You Invented It

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
i cannot believe bill holbrook furry aliens arc is real

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!
Happy "Wilbur Falls Off a Boat" Day to those who celebrate.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Gods has it been two years already?

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

never in a million years did i think Demons of Baseball would end with planck in a vegetative state, the director dead from a heart attack and Maggie probably needing to be committed somewhere if we're being real

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
The moral: owning Copper Ma is not only right, it is a moral imperative.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Shut up, narration box.

Mary Worth

Yeah I guess I was wrong. This is it. It just works out for him.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Steeple 20: Extreme Freaks with more from the Second Epistle of Peter

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website

From the wiki article on Balaam:

quote:

Balaam (/ˈbeɪlæm/;[1] Hebrew: בִּלְעָם, Standard Bīlʿam Tiberian Bīlʿām), son of Beor, was a biblical character, a non-Israelite prophet and diviner who lived in Pethor. According to chapters Numbers 22–24 of the Book of Numbers, he was hired by King Balak of Moab to curse Israel, but instead he blessed the Israelites, as dictated by God. Subsequently, the plan to entice the Israelites into idol worship and sexual immorality (Numbers 25:1–3) is attributed to him (Numbers 31:16).

Update, Allison's comments for this page:

John Allison posted:

I don’t think Billie has gone full blood and thunder preacher. She’s just giving everything a go. Given the reception she’s getting, my suspicion is that she won’t be giving this particular strand a go much longer.

The_Other fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 10, 2024

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I'm here for Rene to be passive aggressive about Morgan saving his life or something.

drat this Keith story sucks.

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

Shut up, narration box.

Forgets to draw bandage on thumb earlier, draws it later, just gives up on drawing the hand though. Jules' talent for apathy hat tricks is almost impressive.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

And that was the piglet's last appearance.

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 2/17/52

Archie 3/21-23/49

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 11/8-10/76

Beta III was the planet in the Star Trek episode "The Return of the Archons," but I doubt that's what Stan has in mind.

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Doomykins posted:

In the end Copper Ma owns himself. This will eat at his soul for the rest of his life. A perfect finale.

[ahem] Coper Ma

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Yeah I guess I was wrong. This is it. It just works out for him.

Wait till Keef finds out Stevie Wonder is black, though.

quote:

Apartment 3-G

Ruh-roh.

Selachian posted:

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 11/8-10/76

Vera's loving face in panel two. Amazing.

Chicken Parmigiana fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 10, 2024

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

gently caress

Pancho Jueves posted:

Happy "Wilbur Falls Off a Boat" Day to those who celebrate.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

How, Greg? He's a child. You want him to get a job?

It's a toasted sandwich. A very normal toasted sandwich. :confused:

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Yeah a grilled PBJ is hella good because it's just a heated PBJ. You get the fun of the bread being toasted from the grill and it rubs off on the jelly and peanut butter and makes 'em sweeter and softer. Good as hell.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

how runny do the PB and the J get if you grill with them already in place

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Hostile V posted:

Yeah a grilled PBJ is hella good because it's just a heated PBJ. You get the fun of the bread being toasted from the grill and it rubs off on the jelly and peanut butter and makes 'em sweeter and softer. Good as hell.

:buddy: toasted pb&j is very good

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Hwurmp posted:

how runny do the PB and the J get if you grill with them already in place
Depends on the heat, how much pressure is put on the sandwich and how much you put on the sandwich but generally you make a PBJ and then toast each side or like panini-style it. It's not gonna be so messy you can't clean it up. It's worth it.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Toasted bread is one thing, fried in butter like a grilled cheese is another

I do make warm PBJ on English muffins. Very good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Peanut butter toast is respectable quick breakfast.

Mousetrapped

Weakheart was Dinky Doodle's dog in another Walter Lantz series for the Bray Studio. The name was a rib on Strongheart (born Etzel von Oeringen), a German shepherd film star who preceded Rin Tin Tin by a few years.

Out Our Way (February 12-14, 1925)

Out Our Way: Wes Begins (February 13, 1925)

And a bonus: a tiny story about intramural squabble in Germany that I'm sure won't have any long-term consequences.

Toonerville Folks (April 27-29, 1922)

OLD MAN PENNYPACKER, THE VILLAGE TIGHTWAD: You don't catch Old Man Pennypacker paying any dentist to yank a tooth when he can have the R.R. Co. do it for him for nothing.

NEIGHBORHOOD NEWS: Four of Mickey McGuire's Gang (every man a crack shot) discovered Willie Davis in the act of repairing his radio.

SHARON POTTS, THE GOOSE CRICK FERRYMAN: While Sharon was moving Maud Beasley's stuff across the crick, Egghead Harris heaved a big rock into the water behind them and Maud and Sharon are still scrapping about what it was that fell off, if anything.

Dok's Dippy Dry Goods (January 28, 1915)

Little Lefty (September 27, 29-30, 1939 (because I screwed up the posting order again last night))