Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.
bad posting has never been against the rules here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
How could it be? This is CanPol.

This thread has been rated 2 for as long as I can remember. If it weren't for bad posts we'd have no posts at all.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Relating to our discussion about Canadian media, I just found the following article from the usually-quite-poo poo Calgary Herald:

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/calgarians-hope-against-odds-loved-ones-gaza

Despite being a right-wing rag, the Herald manages to present some degree of sympathy toward Palestinians in Canada and Gaza alike, instead of banging on loving endlessly about how Jews are under siege in Canada because they saw a man with a keffiyeh on the street one time, and how spray-painting a loving Indigo is basically Kristallnacht.

How is it that the wonderful progressivism of the GTA, may its name be blessed, results in that poo poo, and we can do better here, in the absolute arsecrack of Conservative hell? I think this is a sign of something that's not being accounted for in Canadian politics and I can't make heads nor tails of what it might be because it makes very little sense to me.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.

infernal machines posted:

This thread has been rated 2 for as long as I can remember. If it weren't for bad posts we'd have no posts at all.

Funny thing is I can see who rated the thread what so I know who to look out for.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

PT6A posted:

Relating to our discussion about Canadian media, I just found the following article from the usually-quite-poo poo Calgary Herald:

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/calgarians-hope-against-odds-loved-ones-gaza

Despite being a right-wing rag, the Herald manages to present some degree of sympathy toward Palestinians in Canada and Gaza alike, instead of banging on loving endlessly about how Jews are under siege in Canada because they saw a man with a keffiyeh on the street one time, and how spray-painting a loving Indigo is basically Kristallnacht.

How is it that the wonderful progressivism of the GTA, may its name be blessed, results in that poo poo, and we can do better here, in the absolute arsecrack of Conservative hell? I think this is a sign of something that's not being accounted for in Canadian politics and I can't make heads nor tails of what it might be because it makes very little sense to me.

Larger local Jewish populations/political activist groups in the GTA than in Calgary? More attention paid to events in Toronto since it's the center of the universe?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

infernal machines posted:

It's rated 1 once you factor in the exchange rate.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Arivia posted:

Larger local Jewish populations/political activist groups in the GTA than in Calgary? More attention paid to events in Toronto since it's the center of the universe?

I think we have a reasonably large Jewish community in Calgary, and to be honest I was hoping for an explanation that didn't end up being "the Jews are behind it" because that does sound reasonably like a conspiracy theory, and considering that possibility makes me feel uncomfortable.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

are they digging tunnels though?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

PT6A posted:

I think we have a reasonably large Jewish community in Calgary, and to be honest I was hoping for an explanation that didn't end up being "the Jews are behind it" because that does sound reasonably like a conspiracy theory, and considering that possibility makes me feel uncomfortable.

I don't think it's bigoted or anti-semitic to wonder if there's a difference in proportional demographics that affects media coverage, but I get what you mean.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Arivia posted:

I don't think it's bigoted or anti-semitic to wonder if there's a difference in proportional demographics that affects media coverage, but I get what you mean.

I also don't think it's bigoted or anti-semitic to say that Israel's behaviour is nothing short of abhorrent and disgraceful, but there are apparently a lot of folks who disagree with me and get published in national newspapers. I don't know if I'm trying to convince myself there's an explanation that doesn't involve some conspiracy-adjacent poo poo, or if I'm trying to lay out a proof by contradiction without saying it. What I do know is that mainstream national coverage has been poo poo, and Trudeau should be loving ashamed of himself that he's not standing with South Africa as they present charges at the ICJ shortly. We should be ashamed, as a country, of his repugnant behaviour on this issue.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

PT6A posted:

https://ottawacitizen.com/opinion/denley-whats-in-a-name-in-official-ottawa-thats-a-complex-question

If you want to wash the taste out of your mouth with something worse, here's the sound of an old white man crying about not feeling any connection with place names because they're in an a language his ancestors may or may not have tried to exterminate maybe, and don't drink every time you read a scare quote cause you'll die

gently caress Randal Denley

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

flakeloaf posted:

https://ottawacitizen.com/opinion/denley-whats-in-a-name-in-official-ottawa-thats-a-complex-question

If you want to wash the taste out of your mouth with something worse, here's the sound of an old white man crying about not feeling any connection with place names because they're in an a language his ancestors may or may not have tried to exterminate maybe, and don't drink every time you read a scare quote cause you'll die

I would not like to do that, I refuse it. I anathematize it.

And to be clear, I sort of like the article I linked. It treated Palestinian-Canadians like real people with real concerns and did not indulge Ezra Levant's lurid fantasies or any such nonsense. It didn't really touch on the wider aspects of the conflict, and honestly I'm okay with that, because what people need to see is that it's real people who are dying, it's our friends and neighbours who are affected.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

flakeloaf posted:

Old white people crying and moaning out their rear end about place names being changed to reflect the First Nations people who were there first isn't anything new, really. What makes it especially egregious in this case is that he's in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, and that's a three-for-three on Indigenous Appropriated Names Bingo.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Its so loving cool that all the people weeping about the perils of racism with respect to Canadian Jews were demanding blood quantum limits for Chinese Canadian politicians like 6 months ago

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Remember when Parliament passed a resolution condeming reporters for being Too Muslim and these trained seals lined up to applaud?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
You don't even have to extend beyond antisemitism. Remember when Parliament applauded a member of the SS?

any federal politician who wants to start lecturing about antisemitism can definitely sit this one out unless they want to remove the two memorials we have to different SS divisions that have been up for decades.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Don't worry, the police somehow had the resources to hunt down and charge the man who vandalized the nazi monuments (by writing that they were Nazi monuments)

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
best part was the police said they were looking into it as a "hate-motivated incident"

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

COPE 27 posted:

Its so loving cool that all the people weeping about the perils of racism with respect to Canadian Jews were demanding blood quantum limits for Chinese Canadian politicians like 6 months ago

Also they're featured article today:

https://twitter.com/nationalpost/status/1745116429442064636

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

The racist slur known as the N-word

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
The racist slur formerly known as the n-word

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Dare I ask if the article was pro or anti n word

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

It was probably some flavour of "political correctness GONE MAD, you can't even read Mark Twain anymore!"

And I mean, sometimes I feel like "political correctness" has gone too far up its own arse -- particularly when people with privilege start telling marginalized folks what words are best used to refer to them with -- but having a conversation about the history and context of various slurs is probably not something that needs to be covered in elementary school English class.

EDIT: Read the article against my better judgement, got it right in one.

"But these are classic books!" So? Go eat poo poo and find a new book to teach. I imagine you can find one that either doesn't use slurs or is written by a Black person which fulfils the same pedagogical aims instead of pretending English literature reached its zenith somewhere between 200 and 50 years ago in the hands of some dipshit white bloke.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 10, 2024

Burns
May 10, 2008

I sure hope these people never seen a Quintin Tarantino movie, or Mel Brooks films i guess.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Oh no my "Sherriff's a ni-" class is being cancelled! Woke has gone too far!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Burns posted:

I sure hope these people never seen a Quintin Tarantino movie, or Mel Brooks films i guess.

Do you think that a film like Pulp Fiction or Django Unchained or Blazing Saddles is one that children should view in school as part of a curriculum, with the explanation of context being handled solely by a teacher who may or may not be equipped to discuss it in a meaningful and correct manner, to an entire class at the same time? I don't think that would be appropriate, frankly, even though I love all three of those movies.

On the other hand, I don't know how far the ban goes. If it's about not teaching those books, fine; if it's about removing them from libraries and so, that goes too far in my opinion.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Burns posted:

... you want to show R rated movies to kids? I am kind of confused at the point youre trying to make here.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Wait a goon has a poorly thought out argument that falls apart the second you take a look at it?

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

PT6A posted:

On the other hand, I don't know how far the ban goes. If it's about not teaching those books, fine; if it's about removing them from libraries and so, that goes too far in my opinion.

I take your point about the teacher maybe not having the right resources to handle the material, but I’d still think the opposite would be preferable? Like I’d think introducing this kind of material, if it’s going to be covered at all, with context and with control over the audience so it’s geared to the appropriate age and so students know they have someone they can talk to if it makes them uncomfortable - isn’t that better than a student being blindsided picking it up off the library shelf?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Furnaceface posted:

... you want to show R rated movies to kids? I am kind of confused at the point youre trying to make here.

I watched titanic in 10th grade and they didn't even fast forward past the tiddy scene! Now I'm a degenerate pervert!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

ZShakespeare posted:

I watched titanic in 10th grade and they didn't even fast forward past the tiddy scene! Now I'm a degenerate pervert!

Well yes, you post in CSPAM

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Furnaceface posted:

Yeah, I mean obviously I'm not saying that any media containing the n-word needs banning, but maybe we should actually be sensitive about how that word is used around children. I could also argue that a high school English class could have a unit discussing authorial intent in the depiction of things like slurs, racism, bigotry and violence and how it's different from the author necessarily endorsing those things, but that's a minefield to be sure.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

kaom posted:

I take your point about the teacher maybe not having the right resources to handle the material, but I’d still think the opposite would be preferable? Like I’d think introducing this kind of material, if it’s going to be covered at all, with context and with control over the audience so it’s geared to the appropriate age and so students know they have someone they can talk to if it makes them uncomfortable - isn’t that better than a student being blindsided picking it up off the library shelf?

Well, yes and no. I see your point, but I'd also say that dealing with the issue properly in the context of teaching an entire class is much different from handling it one-on-one. I'd also say that Black people aren't stupid: a Black student who reads one of those books, knows what racism is, and knows what that word means. That it exists in a book is different than it existing in a book which is used as a mandatory text.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
You couldn't make Blazing Saddles today...Because Mel Brooks is 97 and absolutely should not be doing multi day shoots out in the middle of the California desert. Seriously, are you trying to kill the man?

Seriously though, I think the other thing this decision addresses that isn't being discussed is how all of the main works taught in high school English classes that deal with themes of racism and slavery were written by white people. I think if this ban forces English classes to teach the works of black authors instead it would definitely be a step in the right direction...

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I was trying to remember the situation of the teacher who recommended a Dick Gregory book with a certain title that lead to said teacher's removal but that happened at a US college and not a high school as I misremembered it.

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

In the wrong hands, the stapler is a deadly weapon.

KingKalamari posted:

You couldn't make Blazing Saddles today...Because Mel Brooks is 97 and absolutely should not be doing multi day shoots out in the middle of the California desert. Seriously, are you trying to kill the man?

Seriously though, I think the other thing this decision addresses that isn't being discussed is how all of the main works taught in high school English classes that deal with themes of racism and slavery were written by white people. I think if this ban forces English classes to teach the works of black authors instead it would definitely be a step in the right direction...

Yeah, I actually did have to read through both Underground to Canada and To Kill a Mockingbird when I was in school. I feel even now that reading them was a net positive overall (my knowledge of the Underground Railroad and Jim Crow-era US was pretty much zilch before reading them), but I also understand the idea that teaching books by black authors that cover the same territory would likely be more authentic. Plus, there's the benefit of expanding the number of authors students could be familiar with.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

PT6A posted:

It was probably some flavour of "political correctness GONE MAD, you can't even read Mark Twain anymore!"

And I mean, sometimes I feel like "political correctness" has gone too far up its own arse -- particularly when people with privilege start telling marginalized folks what words are best used to refer to them with -- but having a conversation about the history and context of various slurs is probably not something that needs to be covered in elementary school English class.

EDIT: Read the article against my better judgement, got it right in one.

"But these are classic books!" So? Go eat poo poo and find a new book to teach. I imagine you can find one that either doesn't use slurs or is written by a Black person which fulfils the same pedagogical aims instead of pretending English literature reached its zenith somewhere between 200 and 50 years ago in the hands of some dipshit white bloke.

All I'm going to say is my Grade 6 teacher was really eager to read the N-word parts out loud in class when we were reading about the Underground Railroad.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award

Furnaceface posted:

"You let him watch DIE HARD!?!"
"Yeah, it's a christmas classic!"

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

HackensackBackpack posted:

All I'm going to say is my Grade 6 teacher was really eager to read the N-word parts out loud in class when we were reading about the Underground Railroad.

I’m imagining them drawing it out. Over pronouncing every syllable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

At the end of the day, we enjoy policing language because it's easier and less messy than addressing the sentiments behind the language. The PC bloke who gets off using the n-word in a "legitimate" context is probably a far bigger threat than the white guy who sings along to 2Pac without self-censoring. And I think anyone who has been the target of slurs or discrimination can agree: for better and worse, we know what you're thinking, regardless of the words you choose.