Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

hawowanlawow posted:

pretty sure nobody has beaten a computer at chess for like decades

yeah chess engines have matured to the point that you can run a practically unbeatable one on commodity hardware now

in 2009 they had an engine running on an android phone reach grandmaster level and i think everyone gave up on trying to beat engines at that point

repiv has a new favorite as of 01:26 on Jan 10, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Seems like it'd be relatively easy to build an unbeatable robot boxer, at least in the heavyweight division (more than 200 pounds, no upper limit)

v Scoring's based on punches landed if there isn't a KO/TKO, but there's nothing in the rules about a minimum/maximum number of hands.

stringless has a new favorite as of 01:34 on Jan 10, 2024

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
"relatively" it's actually very easy, you just take a 55 gallon drum and fill it with lead shot and concrete and you let the other guy punch it
e: I came up with this strategy because I have MAN BONES, see, that's why we are good at the sports

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

FFT posted:

Seems like it'd be relatively easy to build an unbeatable robot boxer, at least in the heavyweight division (more than 200 pounds, no upper limit)

Robot boxer stands there for 9 rounds' absorbing punches. In the final seconds of the final round, the robot boxer delivers a hydraulic-haymaker that explodes his opponent into their component atoms, leaving only a greasy film on the mat.

The ghost of Don King floats by moaning "Oh lord, only in America!"

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
If I thought things weren't going to get worse and worse forever I'd be excited for transhumanist sports. Who can become the robot boxer that can suplex a skyscraper?

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

tokin opposition posted:

A Subaru is a spiritual volvo, read more queer theory on the transubstantiation of cars

:confused:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

repiv posted:

yeah chess engines have matured to the point that you can run a practically unbeatable one on commodity hardware now

in 2009 they had an engine running on an android phone reach grandmaster level and i think everyone gave up on trying to beat engines at that point

The funny thing is that chess isn't that complex of a game for a computer to play, mainly because both players have complete information and there are a finite number of moves each player can take for each turn. So it just becomes a matter of calculating sufficiently far ahead and picking the best move.

The really impressive feat is the computer that win at stratego, the game where each player's pieces are completely unknown to their opponent.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

to be fair the chess engines are genuinely more efficient now, deep blue evaluated about 200 million potential moves per second and that 2009 android engine only needed to check about 20 thousand per second

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Fister Roboto posted:

The funny thing is that chess isn't that complex of a game for a computer to play, mainly because both players have complete information and there are a finite number of moves each player can take for each turn. So it just becomes a matter of calculating sufficiently far ahead and picking the best move.

So is Go but good luck solving it.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

that too, having full knowledge of the game state and a finite search space only gets you so far if the search space is unfathomably huge, the same way you can break crypto by just trying every key except you can't because it will take billions of years

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

if you've lived in a cave or some poo poo, the "south african farmer white genocide" story is very unambiguously nazi propaganda

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Air Skwirl posted:

All sports are just silly games people play to amuse themselves and some people excel at a level that other people want to see the elite version of it, but I don't like calling the one's you can be beaten at by a computer a sport. Most everyone here would probably lose to deep blue at chess, most everyone here would absolutely dominate deep blue at HORSE.

Gonna play DEATH to guarantee that the advertiser-friendly algorithm won’t allow it to spell the word and beat me.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Lemniscate Blue posted:

There's a documentary called the surrounding game that's about deep blue learning and bearing people at go. It's really good, I believe it's still on netflix.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Flesh Forge posted:

if you've lived in a cave or some poo poo, the "south african farmer white genocide" story is very unambiguously nazi propaganda

How strange that a Zionist would sympathize.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

The wierd thing is that now that Elon banned a bunch of journalists i suddenly am seeing NO coverage of the war in gaza where once i couldnt go 3 posts without someone reporting on another atrocity.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Ever since I noticed that the full title is "The Transformers: The Movie" my brain has hurt.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

That clearly says the trans formers

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Sounds woke

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hihohe posted:

The wierd thing is that now that Elon banned a bunch of journalists i suddenly am seeing NO coverage of the war in gaza where once i couldnt go 3 posts without someone reporting on another atrocity.

Elon solved the Middle East? Why I’ll be.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

NorgLyle posted:

Ever since I noticed that the full title is "The Transformers: The Movie" my brain has hurt.

the franchise was The Transformers

they also say The Transformers in the theme song

have a good day

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

I'm an Old, but I'm pretty sure Tokin is right about everything. Sorry, other olds. That's just how it is.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Flesh Forge posted:

"indigenous rights activist" huh

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Mushika posted:

I'm an Old, but I'm pretty sure Tokin is right about everything. Sorry, other olds. That's just how it is.

the lamest olds are the ones trying to fit in with the youth

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Lemniscate Blue posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AlphaGo_versus_Lee_Sedol
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AlphaGo_versus_Ke_Jie

Happened back in 2016-2017.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

quote:

AlphaGo's original training dataset started with games of strong amateur players from internet Go servers, after which AlphaGo trained by playing against itself for tens of millions of games.

playing with urself is the key to success

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Billionaires are the only vegan meat because eating them saves thousands of lives in one go

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

All of that to loving boil the steak.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I've checked with vegans, and many agree that brainless creatures that feel no pain, like mussels say or billionaires, are okay to eat.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
somehow still better than elon

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Who would buy a thousand acres in Hawai‘i to raise cows? Any yokel could do that in the rear end end of Wyoming.

Live in the tropical highlands and eat fresh mangosteen every day.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Oh no, a thousand acres *TO GROW MACADAMIA NUT TREES* as opposed to something less incredibly wasteful like oats or something, to feed to a handful of cows, which only he and his guests will be eating. You do this to make sure everyone understands how filthy rich you are because you are doing this on some of the most expensive real estate on the planet.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Flesh Forge posted:

Oh no, a thousand acres *TO GROW MACADAMIA NUT TREES* as opposed to something less incredibly wasteful like oats or something, to feed to a handful of cows, which only he and his guests will be eating. You do this to make sure everyone understands how filthy rich you are because you are doing this on some of the most expensive real estate on the planet.

Yeah, the price and absurdity of the conspicuous consumption is the point.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

OwlFancier posted:

All of that to loving boil the steak.

I think Zuckerberg is a smoked meats guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBxTEoseZak

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I mean, being real, it's Hawaii so that land was never going to be allowed to be useful to anyone ever anyway, it's just a massive flex on other wealthy people

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Flesh Forge posted:

Oh no, a thousand acres *TO GROW MACADAMIA NUT TREES*

Sorry, Marcus.

I’m not impressed. Those things grow like weeds.

Write to me when you have a forest of Hyophorbe amaricaulis.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Oh yeah?

Then explain Luke 2:21.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

god is a trans woman

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Gods penis is not hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

The gun is good. The penis is evil.