Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
It's old as dirt but you may consider https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/modpacks/farming-valley

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Black Pants posted:

You can craft the dried sand in the room with the picket fence into sand with a water bucket though.
And yes I explicitly encourage breaking anything breakable and nabbing it for yourself lol

I didn't know that the top of the aquarium is open, the aquarium is very big and everything tends to float to the top where you have to hunt for it because it's dark,
for stone you're supposed to mine the asteroids as moon rock is worthless,
worms from breaking tall grass make it so you don't need water,
the lamps in the matter fab apparently don't need power which is nice,

still haven't figured out how to get the other stuff, got a little bit of agriculture going,
wondering if I could use airlock seal blocks from the fabricator to seal the rest of the recreation area so I can use the rest of it,
I don't know if the last recreation area in the top area actually has power,
turns out the shelf blueprints and giant iron doors are nice for throwing into the mass fab.

Edit: At this rate I'm not sure if this talk should be off into it's own thread or just "this is minecraft modding and this absurdity of this talk belongs here."

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jan 6, 2024

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Have you walked into the corridor like, leading away from the arboretum? And looked into the windows?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

My quick two cents, I don't think you need to worry about spinning this off to its own thread or a PM or whatever, it's all Minecraft modding here. Think about the times when we talked about GTNH near-exclusively for months straight. Plus, it's interesting hearing a map/pack maker talk about the process here.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

:toot: Baby steps!

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Black Pants posted:

Have you walked into the corridor like, leading away from the arboretum? And looked into the windows?

I have, and I always thought those were completely enclosed with no way to get into them (because that's what most modpacks do and I'm still in that mentality). I'll have to do some mining.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Oh ha sorry, I get that now. Nah those windows are there to let you know there's stuff there for you to get at. It'll be important later, even. The glowy flowers in the ice cave craft into glowstone, and the ones in the lava cave craft into blaze powder.

I did my best to light up the aquarium, you can see stuff floating on the ceiling now. Fun fact: I tried adding fish to the aquariums but they all kept getting stuck floating up to the ceiling and suffocating. This is also why I included Better Diving because you basically can't swim in water in space otherwise, heh.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jan 7, 2024

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Kyrosiris posted:

:toot: Baby steps!

Two! Two Neutronium! Ah ah ah!

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Black Pants posted:

The glowy flowers in the ice cave craft into glowstone, and the ones in the lava cave craft into blaze powder.

I don't think there's any ore in the lava cave for making ore plants and I don't think there's enough glowy flowers in the ice cave for tier 2 blood magic and I can't just bonemeal the glowly flowers for more glowstone. Unless I've missed something I'm stuck.

Black Pants posted:

You've missed something so badly that I don't actually know what you're talking about.

What quest are you on?

I'm stuck on getting T2 blood alter (not enough glowstone) so I can make arcane ash for an alchemy circle so I can get floral fertilizer.

quote:

....tier 2 is what you start with. The blood altar and the 8 blocks around it.

I had to exit and restart game for it to work. So it works now.

quote:

Didn't you make the Inspectoris Scandalum and mention it didn't trip the quest? That tells you how to make each tier of altar.
I think it only tells me if there's missing blocks for the next tier.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jan 8, 2024

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SugarAddict posted:

I don't think there's any ore in the lava cave for making ore plants and I don't think there's enough glowy flowers in the ice cave for tier 2 blood magic and I can't just bonemeal the glowly flowers for more glowstone. Unless I've missed something I'm stuck.

???????????????????????

You've missed something so badly that I don't actually know what you're talking about.

What quest are you on?

SugarAddict posted:

I'm stuck on getting T2 blood alter (not enough glowstone) so I can make arcane ash for an alchemy circle so I can get floral fertilizer.

....tier 2 is what you start with. The blood altar and the 8 blocks around it.

https://ftbwiki.org/Blood_Altar

Didn't you make the Inspectoris Scandalum and mention it didn't trip the quest? That tells you how to make each tier of altar.

If you right click the book in the air it toggles what tier altar you want to make. Then shift-right click on the Blood Altar and it'll show you how to build the altar in the world.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jan 8, 2024

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Tying this back to the thought of moving Black Pants' modpack chat to another thread: I remember at a point posting a ton of BFSR poo poo and this came up and everybody wanted that all to stay here too. Now, I want to keep it here too so I can live vicariously in the collective suffering born from making mods do something correctly and consistently. I just feeeel that misery.

Modpack authoring is like some kind of meta where instead of trying to get a bunch of mods to work together for a project inside the game, you're trying to get a bunch of mods to work together for a project outside the game.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Modpack authoring is like some kind of meta where instead of trying to get a bunch of mods to work together for a project inside the game, you're trying to get a bunch of mods to work together for a project outside the game.

Forum moderators or discord moderators?

But if you want mods to work together for a project outside the game I think computercraft and a few other ones can talk to the internet outside of minecraft if it's enabled.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I feel like it's not hyperbole to say that I'm testing the limits of AR more than anybody else has ever bothered to.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Black Pants posted:

I feel like it's not hyperbole to say that I'm testing the limits of AR more than anybody else has ever bothered to.

Is it "How many drinks does it take for me to not smash my computer?" or "how big can I make this room and still have it 'air tight'?"

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Speaking of, is there any real qualifier for what blocks will work to seal a room or is it just anything solid?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ash Rose posted:

Speaking of, is there any real qualifier for what blocks will work to seal a room or is it just anything solid?

It's got a standard list of what you'd generally expect, but you can also force stuff to seal or not seal.

For example, I had to force certain things to not seal because walking through doors or getting into a Galacticraft cryosleep pod would kill the player otherwise heh.

Edit: yeah basically any door normally works for sealing by default which is funny except when you have them inside a sealed area, because sealing works by setting the block to 'vacuum', which means that as you walk through the door suddenly you're in a vacuum and dying.

Edit 2: an example of what made me say my previous comment about testing the limits was that I just figured out that the maths they use to calculate how much oxygen a suit of armor with the Airtight Seal enchant on it has is wrong. They used maths based on the idea that O2 drained from a tank per-tick, when it was per 10 ticks. Which meant the config that set the O2 tanks to 30 minutes by default actually made the air last 5 hours heh.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jan 9, 2024

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
A door working is hilarious, just casually stepping in from the void. "It's a bit nippy out there"

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Just a little more...

Okay maybe more than just a little. :v:

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
I’m rooting for you! Instead of working today, I dusted off my Nomifactory that I started a year ago and moved well into LuV, just automated my first few T5s. I’ve got the bug again. I built everything in underground factory rooms this time just to force myself to at LEAST build walls. I plan to move to the void and try to build a base after I hit tank and actually finish the pack properly for the first time. I’ll post some screenshots tomorrow. I’m quite fond of my nuclear reactors and fission products room. It’s purely scrub-tier as I don’t have a creative bone in my body, but not too bad for all that!

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
My own Nomifactory run ground to a halt about a year back after Tank. I've got a text file still open for the various draconic fusion, assembly machine, and mechanized crafter recipes I still need to automate for T10 microminers. I was getting more and more uncomfortable trying to balance just getting it done against making it look pretty.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
Base pics! My power plant fission reactor there in the back:

From the other side, you can see my fission products breeder reactor and storage area:

This is about as creative as I get. Here I have a system pumping out 16k+ Dragon Lair data for end game:

Keeping that lava:

Down it goes!

ASSLINES!

Humble Beginnings:

Ore processing with IV is very satisfying. 4 of each machine chews through stacks fast:

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
I am so out of touch with minecraft I forgot inferium seeds was a thing. Made like 20 inferium by hand at the blood alter when I could just have made like 4 infermium seeds and have more infermium that way.

In other news I got copper, iron, coal, and glowstone seeds going. So soon I can just slap glowstone everywhere for light, or maybe feed it into the matter converter for arc lamps. I need to figure out how the auto-harvesters work.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jan 10, 2024

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lemme know if I need to be more explicit that this could possibly gently caress your poo poo up if you're not careful.

SugarAddict posted:

I am so out of touch with minecraft I forgot inferium seeds was a thing. Made like 20 inferium by hand at the blood alter when I could just have made like 4 infermium seeds and have more infermium that way.

In other news I got copper, iron, coal, and glowstone seeds going. So soon I can just slap glowstone everywhere for light, or maybe feed it into the matter converter for arc lamps. I need to figure out how the auto-harvesters work.

Awesome! And they work by pointing them at a crop (on the same Y level) and then powering them, they accept power on any side. You'll need conveyor belts to pull items out of its inventory though, but until they fill up they'll sit there plucking at full crops when they grow.

Also you could've just made 1 seed. Mature crops will spread to adjacent empty crop sticks, so you can duplicate them as much as you need. You'll probably want to breed them to good stats but you can probably survive not bothering if you autoharvest them.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jan 10, 2024

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Black Pants posted:

Lemme know if I need to be more explicit that this could possibly gently caress your poo poo up if you're not careful.

Awesome! And they work by pointing them at a crop (on the same Y level) and then powering them, they accept power on any side. You'll need conveyor belts to pull items out of its inventory though, but until they fill up they'll sit there plucking at full crops when they grow.

Also you could've just made 1 seed. Mature crops will spread to adjacent empty crop sticks, so you can duplicate them as much as you need. You'll probably want to breed them to good stats but you can probably survive not bothering if you autoharvest them.

I don't know what that actually is, so I don't have an opinion there, but you spelled "Pollutes" wrong.

EDIT: wait I see "thaumcraft" there. Uh, yeah, might want to be a little clearer about consequences.

Zereth fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jan 10, 2024

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Zereth posted:

I don't know what that actually is, so I don't have an opinion there, but you spelled "Pollutes" wrong.

Didn't notice that, thanks for catching it. And it's Thaumcraft in general. People who aren't super familiar with it tend to be wasteful with the Crucible in particular, which melts items into the Essentia they are made up of. Any Essentia that isn't used or crystalised turns into a gas that causes bad stuff if it builds up.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
I, personally, do my best to avoid the crucible if at all possible in a pack unless absolutely required. Such a horrible thing to mess with especially when most packs don't restrict access to the boiler for no waste and easy bottling.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Rynoto posted:

I, personally, do my best to avoid the crucible if at all possible in a pack unless absolutely required. Such a horrible thing to mess with especially when most packs don't restrict access to the boiler for no waste and easy bottling.

:hmmyes: Yeah I've played Thaumcraft before, but not in a long time, and the crucible is something you stop using as soon as possible. I don't remember how progression goes or how you've changed it but if you can get to the boiler without using the crucible you are playing a Mean Trick on your players by telling them to use it.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
You gotta make a couple of things with it for the research but otherwise I'm certainly not going to stop anyone getting past it ASAP.

Might be worth telling people not to use it too much and go for the research first, even.

Zereth posted:

Maybe a followup quest suggesting you get a boiler ASAP for rendering objects down into Magic Juice and bottling it instead of letting things just spray out into the air.

Yeah, this.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jan 10, 2024

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Black Pants posted:

You gotta make a couple of things with it for the research but otherwise I'm certainly not going to stop anyone getting past it ASAP.
Maybe a followup quest suggesting you get a boiler ASAP for rendering objects down into Magic Juice and bottling it instead of letting things just spray out into the air.

EDIT: Oh that screen is nostalgic. :allears:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Pour one out for those we left behind.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Bah, the mod that adds the Blood Magic/Botania Forbidden Magic items seems to have Thaumic Wands as a prerequisite, and also be broken.

stabbington posted:

Astral Sorcery my beloved. The crystal mechanics were kinda wack and attunement was OP as gently caress, but nothing beat those multiblocks for a cool thing to build/scale your bases around, especially with the teleportation altars letting you build a cool network of transit locations.

I've got Astral Sorcery obviously. It's the capstone magic mod. I know, it's sad not to have the perks while playing through the rest of the pack but it feels thematic to be there.

By the way, I'm currently trying to figure out how to give the player some exploring to do. I'm kinda thinking of making planet locations (I can custom-make planets to a degree with Advanced Rocketry) that the player would get to via Stargate, because I also need a way for the player to get the Greatwood and Silverwood saplings, but at the same time I also don't want to make a planet a place the player would want to move their home to, heh.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jan 10, 2024

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
Astral Sorcery my beloved. The crystal mechanics were kinda wack and attunement was OP as gently caress, but nothing beat those multiblocks for a cool thing to build/scale your bases around, especially with the teleportation altars letting you build a cool network of transit locations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I wish more magic mods involved building Contraptions like Thaumcraft did. Rather than assembling specific multiblock plans, that is.

Thaumcraft's exact mechanics could be pretty drat fiddly but fiddling with the pipes and getting your altar set up properly and so on were cool.

I'd love something like Create, except about magic instead. (Both in aesthetics, and in what is actually being done to things fed into the contraption you have assembled out of individual parts)

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Zereth posted:

I'd love something like Create, except about magic instead. (Both in aesthetics, and in what is actually being done to things fed into the contraption you have assembled out of individual parts)
Wailing and beating the walls knowing we never had a world where Thaumcraft and Create could be in the same modpacks, and people would make bridge mods for cool magic factories belching colored smoke and pumping bright liquids into jars.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

Wailing and beating the walls knowing we never had a world where Thaumcraft and Create could be in the same modpacks, and people would make bridge mods for cool magic factories belching colored smoke and pumping bright liquids into jars.

Nnnnnnooooooooo, that would've been so cool, dammit.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the gtnh devs could do it. they simply choose not to

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

I recall seeing stuff that somebody was working on a Thaumcraft revival, but we'll have to see if that can pan out.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Zereth posted:

I recall seeing stuff that somebody was working on a Thaumcraft revival, but we'll have to see if that can pan out.
Looked it up and found this google doc about it.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EdnsceBlw_wvymhYsZ-XdtJRnf726GpFPcoyRC47bDo/edit

There's a ton of incredibly cool screenshots, the aesthetic is absolutely off the charts, but no idea when this will actually release. Seems like it's still a very long way away.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
oh my god Omnifactory is 5 years old. I still distinctly remember seeing the promo image they put up for it and going "oh, can't wait to try this". Turning to dust as we speak.
Minecraft more than any other media seems to make me feel the rapid flow of time very keenly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

Looked it up and found this google doc about it.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EdnsceBlw_wvymhYsZ-XdtJRnf726GpFPcoyRC47bDo/edit

There's a ton of incredibly cool screenshots, the aesthetic is absolutely off the charts, but no idea when this will actually release. Seems like it's still a very long way away.

Yeah, lots of screenshots... and not much indicating any of it is functional yet.