Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Under The Cherry Moon is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I finally got around to seeing M3gan, which was entertaining but could have stood to be weirder and meaner. Feels like they chickened out from making a full-throated "parenting sucks, especially when you never asked for it" movie.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Recently watched Unwelcome (Irish goblin horror) and Birth/Rebirth (maternal reanimator horror) on shudder and both were both bangers.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jan 9, 2024

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Envious. I've been deliberately putting off seeing Under the Cherry Moon until I can catch it in person in a theater. I was a lot less keen on Purple Rain than I'd expected, but I vaguely recall reading that Cherry is more batshit and less a surprise PSA on spousal abuse.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I saw you guys talking about Saltburn a while back, I was listening to a podcast that’s not about movies but the guy mentioned he saw Saltburn. He said the whole thing is shot like a cologne commercial, it’s about this nerd who tries to be cool and goes to a house where everyone’s bisexual and does increasingly gross horny stuff until eventually the movie ends.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Gripweed posted:

I saw you guys talking about Saltburn a while back, I was listening to a podcast that’s not about movies but the guy mentioned he saw Saltburn. He said the whole thing is shot like a cologne commercial, it’s about this nerd who tries to be cool and goes to a house where everyone’s bisexual and does increasingly gross horny stuff until eventually the movie ends.

It's really just a gay & mentally ill version of Dennis Reynolds' Dolph Lundgren movie.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Envious. I've been deliberately putting off seeing Under the Cherry Moon until I can catch it in person in a theater. I was a lot less keen on Purple Rain than I'd expected, but I vaguely recall reading that Cherry is more batshit and less a surprise PSA on spousal abuse.

I didn't like it as much as Purple Rain (caveat: i love Purple Rain, 5/5 movie for me), but Prince definitely got better as an actor between the two movies. And Kristin Scott Thomas is so good! What a debut performance!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Saw The Yards the other night. Feels like Joaquin and Wahlburg should've switched roles, it's a bit odd to see Phoenix as a braggadocios young thug and Wahlburger as the kid who can't seem to set his life straight. Good film though, Grey's gotta get his due one of these days.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Definitely check out the novel by Umberto Eco if you haven’t.

And then play Pentiment if you want more monastic murder mysteries.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Definitely check out the novel by Umberto Eco if you haven’t.

The novel is so good. Especially if you like stuff like 10 straight pages on describing the detail and history of a stained glassed window (yes, this is in the book, and yes, it loving rules).

I remember when I first picked up the book, I knew nothing about it and very little about Umberto Eco - other than he was a historian and loving hated fascists. I didn't know that The Name of the Rose is basically Sherlock Holmes: Monastery Edition. About 50 pages in, I was like.... hold up...

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Carpet posted:

+1 this is an incredible game and writen/directed by a goon too!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Carpet posted:

Pentiment is good.

Deciding who to eat lunch and dinner with is hugely important and different people will give you different information directly or indirectly.

Also you can play as just a complete dick.

One of my favorite little things in the game is that Ill Peter, the oldest man in the village who has been sick for longer than most of the other people have been alive, is still alive in the final chapter 25 years after the first one while a good quarter of the people younger than him are dead

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

My favorite part of Pentiment is that any time you try to um actually in some obscure fact your nerd rear end knows everyone in earshot tells you to shut the gently caress up.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

weekly font posted:

My favorite part of Pentiment is that any time you try to um actually in some obscure fact your nerd rear end knows everyone in earshot tells you to shut the gently caress up.

The game provides several different ways of being a dick but this method is my favorite.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

I ended up half-watching this because my brother and SIL watched it at the house over the holidays and I was doing other things, and like, it kind of undermines any social commentary it may have made but I can see it working as a pure lurid sex thriller.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I finally got around to seeing M3gan, which was entertaining but could have stood to be weirder and meaner. Feels like they chickened out from making a full-throated "parenting sucks, especially when you never asked for it" movie.
I think they wanted to keep it a little bit camp

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

One of the Criterion Channel's themes this month is cat movies. So I finally got to see this movie
https://twitter.com/Papapishu/status/1454923880339066884

It was very interesting. A lot more dancing than one would expect.
Good cat acting.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I watched Barbie. Pretty good!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'd say they didn't chicken out so much as that is the complete opposite of what they wanted to say, i.e. you will be a terrible parent if you don't commit.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I left M3gan frustrated that they didn't have more fun with the doll when it got super protective.

Wanted to see a version where the mother gets killed and we get to see the doll have to try to take the kid to school, cook it a meal, etc. Or had the doll do more robot-y things like search the net for how to build an improvised weaponry. Have Megan try to build her own daughter but because she's a robot she can't add the ingredient of love and it's all messed up and destroys her.

Not saying those are good or better, but are along the lines of goofy poo poo I'd have taken over a generic Aliens final confrontation. Just felt like a complete waste of the premise they'd built up.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

duz posted:

One of the Criterion Channel's themes this month is cat movies. So I finally got to see this movie
https://twitter.com/Papapishu/status/1454923880339066884

It was very interesting. A lot more dancing than one would expect.
Good cat acting.

For anyone curious we found it on youtube last time it came up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JITX8Id7tgs

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jan 10, 2024

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Finally saw Barbarian. They say that comedy and horror is extremely interlinked but I still don't get that Get Out and Barbarian are fantastic and made by dudes from key & peele and Whitest Kids u Know

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jan 10, 2024

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It should totally be the second sequel to S1mone.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Anybody see any good movies lately?

Poor Things was a lot of fun. Beautiful and frequently funny.

Saltburn felt like a complete waste. A bunch of strong performances that don't seem to add up to much.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It should totally be the second sequel to S1mone.

What’s the first sequel: - a cross-dressing robot called 2tsie?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Anybody see any good movies lately?

I enjoyed The Rainmaker, a perfectly functional Grisham adaption. Francis Ford Coppola directed it!

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Sir Kodiak posted:

Poor Things was a lot of fun. Beautiful and frequently funny.

Saltburn felt like a complete waste. A bunch of strong performances that don't seem to add up to much.

Ey haven't you ever wanted to do a sex crime to a bathtub drain and go way worse? Who amongst us

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Musing on two quasi-related films:

The Guardian is reporting that kids are doing the dance and music from the Saltburn ending for TikTok, in their own US mansions, UK great houses, and French palaces. Not in the nude because it's a Chinese social network but it seems that people watched that scene and only thought 'I have a nicer home'. (True, plenty could be filming somewhere they don't really live, like rich uncle Sir Hebry's hall in the Cotswalds or a wing in a palace normally booked for Weddings they rented for one hour only.)

and

In Killing of a Sacred Deer the event that made me shudder the most was the anesthesiologist, a long-time friend of the family, knowing they're in trouble revealing patient information for a handjob from a woman who he's known for years and years but hasn't shown any kind of carnal interest in until that point. What else could he be bribed with? Fake a clinical study for a foot message? Skip your op ahead of the line in return for a finger up his rear end. I'm wondering if it wasn't meant to be out of nowhere. Like he gets pleasure from degradibg his friend not the half-hearted hj.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jan 10, 2024

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Bright Bart posted:

Musing on two quasi-related films:

The Guardian is reporting that kids are doing the dance and music from the Saltburn ending for TikTok, in their own US mansions, UK great houses, and French palaces. Not in the nude because it's a Chinese social network but it seems that people watched that scene and only thought 'I have a nicer home'. (True, plenty could be filming somewhere they don't really live, like rich uncle Sir Hebry's hall in the Cotswalds or a wing in a palace normally booked for Weddings they rented for one hour only.)

Genuinely in line with Emerald Fennel.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Man, looking at the production history of Barbie, I’m really glad we got the Barbie movie we got. And not one written by Diablo Cody or starring Amy Schumer. Dodged a couple bullets there.

The Cannon one probably would have been fun though.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Eh, Cody's fun. I've liked a few of her things (United States Of Tara, Jennifer's Body) and that trailer makes her new thing look good.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Jennifer's Body and Young Adult are both terrific. Lisa Frankenstein looks super fun. I think she would have made a perfectly fun Barbie movie.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Open Source Idiom posted:

Eh, Cody's fun. I've liked a few of her things (United States Of Tara, Jennifer's Body) and that trailer makes her new thing look good.

United States of Tara was so weird. The first season is this grounded little dramedy, very clear on the premise that the different personalities are all Tara, they all have a clear emotional purpose for Tara. And then the second season starts, and suddenly each personality is a different person and they have discussions inside Tara’s mind, and one of them gets a girlfriend. And the teenage daughter gets a job as a repo man and she repossesses a black lady’s car but then it turns out the black lady is very wise and for no reason at all she starts giving the teenage daughter life lessons and a magic pair of boots.

I would really like to know what happened in between season 1 and season 2 of this show. It’s probably unfair but based on absolutely nothing I always blamed Diablo Cody for the show taking such a hard lovely turn.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Gripweed posted:

United States of Tara was so weird. The first season is this grounded little dramedy, very clear on the premise that the different personalities are all Tara, they all have a clear emotional purpose for Tara. And then the second season starts, and suddenly each personality is a different person and they have discussions inside Tara’s mind, and one of them gets a girlfriend. And the teenage daughter gets a job as a repo man and she repossesses a black lady’s car but then it turns out the black lady is very wise and for no reason at all she starts giving the teenage daughter life lessons and a magic pair of boots.

I would really like to know what happened in between season 1 and season 2 of this show. It’s probably unfair but based on absolutely nothing I always blamed Diablo Cody for the show taking such a hard lovely turn.

Joey Soloway (of Six Feet Under and Transparent) took over as showrunner for a season.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Huh. I owe Diablo Cody an apology.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
https://x.com/Variety/status/1745164482773410301?s=20

https://x.com/Variety/status/1745165035150688473?s=20

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

The Peccadillo posted:

For anyone curious we found it on youtube last time it came up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JITX8Id7tgs

This movie is a ton of fun, thank you!

I think I'm a sucker for a movie that nails something visual. The lady in a red bodysuit on a swing petting a cat wearing sunglasses is *perfect*. It's a sight that sings. I'm not academic enough to write why it works so much better than, to make an unfair comparison: Taylor Swift in CATS singing on a half moon, but it makes me want to fist bump the director and go "you did it, this is iconic". Other examples would be the Fury Road's fleet or Babett's Feast's feast.

Colorizing is less perfect but it's done to well enough effect that it made me smile too.

Cat rocks.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I watched The Zone of Interest.

Uh, wow.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

NieR Occomata posted:

I watched The Zone of Interest.

it's really good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

CatstropheWaitress posted:

This movie is a ton of fun, thank you!

I think I'm a sucker for a movie that nails something visual. The lady in a red bodysuit on a swing petting a cat wearing sunglasses is *perfect*. It's a sight that sings. I'm not academic enough to write why it works so much better than, to make an unfair comparison: Taylor Swift in CATS singing on a half moon, but it makes me want to fist bump the director and go "you did it, this is iconic". Other examples would be the Fury Road's fleet or Babett's Feast's feast.

Colorizing is less perfect but it's done to well enough effect that it made me smile too.

Cat rocks.

I don't think you have to be a nerd to differentiate something that looks cool as hell and something similar that looks kinda dumb. It's straight up a thumbs up thumbs down deal. Easy