Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Bloopsy posted:

lol at someone getting so mad over big kids toys that they bought Paul an av.
just think of it as two captain ahabs each trying to pigstick the other one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

njsykora posted:

Oh no the voices are back.

Well it makes sense, nvidia presented at a conference after all.

And all good things come to an end eventually.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

A little less posting about posters, please and thank you. :worship:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

If I hadn’t bought a 4070 as part of a new build in May June, I would be all over the 4070 Ti Super. That said, mine overlocks well and maxes out my 1440p 165Hz monitor on Ultra DLSS Quality in Diablo 4, and I got it for $450 net, so I guess it was a reasonable purchase at the time, especially since I’ve barely played anything in the last 5 months.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jan 9, 2024

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Josh Lyman posted:

If I hadn’t bought a 4070 as part of a new build in May, I would be all over the 4070 Ti Super. That said, mine overlocks well and maxes out my 1440p 165Hz monitor on Ultra DLSS Quality in Diablo 4, and I got it for $450 net, so I guess it was a reasonable purchase at the time, especially since I’ve barely played anything in the last 5 months.
most people in this thread don't actually play games so you're in good company

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I have a 3x 27” 1440p 165Hz setup and an old joystick so I’ve been itching to buy Flight Simulator when it’s been $40 on sale, but the 2024 version is supposed to release for $60 so I guess that’ll be the most graphically demanding thing I try.

Though I suppose I just need to hit 30 fps on DLSS quality.

It’s so easy to overbuy or try to “future-proof” when it comes to desktops. :smith:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jan 9, 2024

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Hey now my 3080 is really put through its paces by *checks steam activity* uh, rule the waves 3.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

If I hadn't bought a 7900 XTX back in March 2023 I'd be seriously eyeing that 4080 Super as an upgrade from the 3070 Ti I was using. No matter how much better the 4080S performs than my 7900 XTX though I don't think I'll be able to justify it.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
So how do these launches work? Do we preorder from somewhere or is it a free for all on launch Day?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It's a launch day free-for-all. that said, in the US it's typically just a matter of F5ing Newegg at 9am eastern time on the launch day, and these days you typically have at least 30 minutes to order a card before they go out of stock (if they're popular enough to go oos in the first place)

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jan 9, 2024

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

my experience is that outside the launches during the pandemic/crypto craze, buying on day 1 is doable

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

popular cards can still go out of stock on launch day, but you have ample time to buy if you check at the right time or if you stop by your local pc hardware store in the morning of. i think the 4070 and 4090 went out of stock, though i can't remember if the 4070 ti and 4080 did. the 4060 and 4060 ti definitely did not. the 4080 super is probably going to be very available. not sure about the other supers

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

It just seems wrong to me that he 4090 is *more* expensive now, a year after launch. Wtf

4080 super seems nice, but my current card is perfectly fine for basically all games… I think I’ll wait for reviews.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

It just seems wrong to me that he 4090 is *more* expensive now, a year after launch. Wtf

Offloading their entire stock to China didn't help here. Also, I'm pretty sure Nvidia makes a poo poo load more money by putting that same silicon into compute cards. Maybe prices will drop when TSMC's Arizona fab opens? Not sure since I think they're not putting their secret sauce in USA so we'll see last-gen wafers at best.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Maybe prices will drop when TSMC's Arizona fab opens? Not sure since I think they're not putting their secret sauce in USA so we'll see last-gen wafers at best.

Iirc the bottleneck for high end silicon is packaging not manufacture.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Maybe prices will drop when TSMC's Arizona fab opens?

The Arizona TSMC fab is most likely going to be dedicated to Apple production for awhile, so I wouldn't count on that...

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
The only good thing about the 4080 Super is the price reduction tbh. And it's kinda insane that Nvidia have conditioned people into being okay with spending 1k on a gpu that isn't even top of the line.

+6% fps is nominal. Not a noticable difference. Still a long distance behind the 4090 in performance and vram.

Might pick one up, or the 4070 Ti Super, but I'm half expecting to be lukewarm on the purchase a couple years later. The 5000 series will probably be much faster, and then when the PS6 comes, 16gb vram (or its performance) won't be enough.

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jan 9, 2024

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1744664782253281490

Oh man imagine handhelds and iGPUs getting frame generation

What a world

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The 4070 Ti Super should be a good upgrade for all the people who have been holding onto their 1080 Tis for dear life.

This, if only watercool.de would release their HEATKILLER V PRO series for mid cards.

1080Ti going strong

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Iirc the bottleneck for high end silicon is packaging not manufacture.

Isn’t the Arizona fab sending everything back to Taiwan due packaging? Or did that change in the last few months?

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Lockback posted:

Are you saying you have a 4070 and you want to jump to a 4070S? Unless you are able to sell to some sucker I don't see that as a good path.

If you're upgrading from something else, then yeah, the 4070S seems solid at that price point.
Mdxi, if I'm not mistaken, has several computers solely for folding@home and boinc grid computing projects, I assume they are just chasing heat/efficiency gains incrementally in their setups.

They'll probably run both 24/7

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Cyrano4747 posted:

Isn’t the Arizona fab sending everything back to Taiwan due packaging? Or did that change in the last few months?

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2023/11/new-chip-packaging-facility-could-save-tsmcs-arizona-fab-from-paperweight-status/

Indeed it will but Apples investing in a packaging facility.
When it will go live is anyones guess.

Regardless the price inflation is completely artificial at this point, riding high on the profits from the crypto craze and now AI, considering other PC hardware has gone back to relative normalcy and abundance.

Well until SSD makers figured out One Weird Trick to increase profit

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jan 9, 2024

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Rigged Death Trap posted:

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2023/11/new-chip-packaging-facility-could-save-tsmcs-arizona-fab-from-paperweight-status/

Indeed it will but Apples investing in a packaging facility.
When it will go live is anyones guess.

Regardless the price inflation is completely artificial at this point, riding high on the profits from the crypto craze and now AI, considering other PC hardware has gone back to relative normalcy and abundance.

Well until SSD makers figured out One Weird Trick to increase profit

Yeah, and TSMC was planning to also have its own packaging eventually at the Arizona fab, as part of a later phase. Whether that happens now, who knows.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
The high prices are not due to supply, there's high demand and Nvidia is happily pushing out datacenter chips and keeping the consumer market from being flooded while keeping prices high. AMD is more than happy to jump on board too. I think AMD legit has a more constrained supply so maybe if more production resulted in more AMD chips they could put some downward pressure on prices. Bbbuuutttt, they don't seem super motivated to start a price war.

We could hope for an AI crash that results in Nvidia needing way more volume from the consumer side, or that AMD/Intel comes up with some market-breaking tech that puts NVidia on it's back foot, but most likely if we're all willing to pay these prices Nvidia is just going to keep charging us.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I don't see an AI crash in the near (<=5 year) future but I do see models running much more efficiently (1-2 steps instead of 30) within that same time frame so demand on compute might plateau.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

with any luck, artists will win the ongoing lawsuits and cripple consumer AI poo poo at the very least

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:

ijyt posted:

with any luck, artists will win the ongoing lawsuits and cripple consumer AI poo poo at the very least

I don't think there is any chance to stop that now. The tech is out there and will continue to be out there even if you shut down all these companies.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Some images taken from the RTX Remix Showcase, a discord server where people have been experimenting with the RTX Remix runtime and posting WIP screenshots:

(Max Payne - Tomb Raider 2 - Sam & Max Save the World - Call of Duty 4 - Freedom Fighters - Hitman 2 or maybe Contracts)

Shits gonna start popping off once the editor is actually available to most of these people.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
That's a shiny-rear end dome on 47

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

That's a shiny-rear end dome on 47

He put his head in the Shine-O Ball-O

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1JnYpy3hYg

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
someone's gonna do an RTX Remix of Freelancer like the fanbase has always wanted and then immediately close source it without releasing anything, like every other loving Freelancer graphics engine upgrade over the past fifteen loving years

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Shits gonna start popping off once the editor is actually available to most of these people.

i don't want to crap on something unambiguously cool, but i hope these end up looking good in motion. in the early ripped-out versions of remix, a lot of games would look great at some moments, but at others you'd get flickering, weird artifacts, or the lighting would just look wrong.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Some images taken from the RTX Remix Showcase, a discord server where people have been experimenting with the RTX Remix runtime and posting WIP screenshots:

(Max Payne - Tomb Raider 2 - Sam & Max Save the World - Call of Duty 4 - Freedom Fighters - Hitman 2 or maybe Contracts)

Man apart for sam and max these look kinda fuckin terrible if the assets aren't up to scratch, which was kind of to be expected from the first reveals

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Lossless Scaling just dropped what looks like a big update today:

quote:

Introducing LSFG 1.0 - a universal frame generator that can be used for most games and not only. Designed from the ground up using machine learning to run on a wide range of GPUs, including integrated graphics cards. Can be used with or without scaling.

The recommended minimum to have the best quality is 60 FPS in a game and a 120 Hz monitor, but it can also be used in a combination of 30 FPS and 60 Hz in some games at a resolution of up to 1080p.

In the current state of LSFG, the game MUST be locked to half your monitor's refresh rate for proper frame pacing. It is recommended that you reset all LS driver settings and disable any settings in the "Rendering" section before testing, you can enable these later if required. The appearance of any overlay above the LS window may disrupt frame generation until LS is deactivated. In case of issues and not only, I invite you to our Discord community[discord.gg], where the frame generation was beta tested.

Other changes:

- Reworked render pipeline to minimize latency and eliminate stutters;
- New "Off" scaling type, for case when you only need frame generation. "Resize before scaling" option still can be used when using this type;
- Removed displaying of frame time to save resources;

my desktop is out of action right now so I can't try it with my high-refresh monitor, but I'll give it a spin on my laptop

EDIT: did a quick test using Quake 1 - there was a bit of finagling required because there's no support for a 30 FPS cap inside Quake's in-game settings, and my monitor's refresh modes are 48 Hz and 60 Hz, and AMD's driver-level FPS cap only works on full-screen-exclusive games, not on windowed-mode games, but apparently Lossless Scaling now works even on full-screen games

anyway, I could tell it works because of the UI artifacts: the crosshair would leave "trails" as I panned the camera. It does work - Steam's FPS overlay jumps from 30 to 60 when you activate it, but it creates this weird floaty feeling where it's like the edges of the image blur heavily and it gave me a headache. But I guess that's to be expected with working off such a low base frame rate. I'll have to wait to see if it's any better with a base of 60 going up to 120.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jan 10, 2024

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Kazinsal posted:

someone's gonna do an RTX Remix of Freelancer like the fanbase has always wanted and then immediately close source it without releasing anything, like every other loving Freelancer graphics engine upgrade over the past fifteen loving years
In the context of this immediately following a comment about Agent 47, I was very confused, as it already has RTX!

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

gradenko_2000 posted:

Lossless Scaling just dropped what looks like a big update today:

my desktop is out of action right now so I can't try it with my high-refresh monitor, but I'll give it a spin on my laptop

EDIT: did a quick test using Quake 1 - there was a bit of finagling required because there's no support for a 30 FPS cap inside Quake's in-game settings, and my monitor's refresh modes are 48 Hz and 60 Hz, and AMD's driver-level FPS cap only works on full-screen-exclusive games, not on windowed-mode games, but apparently Lossless Scaling now works even on full-screen games

anyway, I could tell it works because of the UI artifacts: the crosshair would leave "trails" as I panned the camera. It does work - Steam's FPS overlay jumps from 30 to 60 when you activate it, but it creates this weird floaty feeling where it's like the edges of the image blur heavily and it gave me a headache. But I guess that's to be expected with working off such a low base frame rate. I'll have to wait to see if it's any better with a base of 60 going up to 120.

Shame. Sub-60 to 60 is where we need help. Above 60? Idgaf, personally, except VR, and there I don't want fake frames

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000 posted:

try cl_maxfps, host_maxfps, r_maxfps in console, one of those should work in any version of quake :v:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Truga posted:

try cl_maxfps, host_maxfps, r_maxfps in console, one of those should work in any version of quake :v:

How excited were you to dust off quake console command skills?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Kazinsal posted:

truly a crobber legacy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Please help me up with my autoexec.bat file.