Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Apollodorus posted:

If anything, they have restrictions in favor of them!

Remember that ENT starts with Archer being appointed captain specifically because the ship uses his father’s design.

Truly, the rot goes deep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

ChickenHeart posted:

DS9 trip report so far: Man if I was Odo I'd just shapeshift into more Odos

(Progress has been my favorite episode so far, if just for the Nog/Jake side plot)

Wonder how many he could get to before they started getting scaled down in size

That or they'd become increasingly crude and featureless humanoid forms as he has to like concentrate more to pull it off until there's a bunch of cylinders just sliding around

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Matryoshka Odos would be a fun party trick

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

DrSunshine posted:

Does Starfleet not have restrictions or regulations against nepotism or conflicts of interest? In a normal organization Beckett Mariner would never have ended up reporting to her own mother!

I think the regulation is "You're assumed to be an adult and there's no money so you don't have to steal stuff so if a personal relationship does become a problem we can address it."

Picard was dating a direct subordinate, and didn't even do anything wrong, but realized he might in the future, so she transfered.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Picard plays his magic flute to escape to that alternate dimension, but instead it summons an orange Q who starts singing Qmpa Loompa Qmpity Q

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Gutcruncher posted:

I hate this so much and I hate you for telling me about it.

Westley comes back as a space god and recruited Soongs clone daughter into the space god business. After Dr. Jurati and the borg queen merge into an ethical borg.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

CainFortea posted:

I think the regulation is "You're assumed to be an adult and there's no money so you don't have to steal stuff so if a personal relationship does become a problem we can address it."

Picard was dating a direct subordinate, and didn't even do anything wrong, but realized he might in the future, so she transfered.

I was just thinking about it purely in terms of unequal privileges and unfair treatment, because as you say, obviously the grift and kickbacks from nepotism wouldn't be a thing. And to be honest, the text actually supports it! All the examples previously stated about Picard's son, plus in an episode of Lower Decks, Mariner blatantly blares it out that she can get away with stuff that wouldn't be tolerated by others simply because she's the captain's daughter. It's a shambles! Starfleet is a deeply unserious organization!

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
I started rewatching enterprise and I got to season three and it's like a wall of terrible episodes.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
I'm glad everyone in Florida died Trip. Now what.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

drilldo squirt posted:

I started rewatching enterprise and I got to season three and it's like a wall of terrible episodes.

Yep, that wall stretches from the beginning of the series until the end.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

drilldo squirt posted:

Yea, season 3 aint great. There's still some good ones. The vulcan zombie ship was nice and creepy. The Trip Clone. The weird alien eggs.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I think Extinction might be my least favorite Enterprise episode, so season 3 goes up from there, slightly

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Alexander: "You just don't get it, Father!"

*door hisses closed as Alexander tries to push it faster*

*Muffled yell of "I'M THE SCATMAN" from Alexander's room as Worf sighs.*

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Grey Cat posted:

She was a gmilf.
Unless we're referring to a certain colonel.

Theres the owner of the bajoran restaurant that garak tries to hook him up with

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Non Compos Mentis posted:

Theres the owner of the bajoran restaurant that garak tries to hook him up with

Oh yeah, nothing came up about that again so I forgot.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

drilldo squirt posted:

Westley comes back as a space god and recruited Soongs clone daughter into the space god business. After Dr. Jurati and the borg queen merge into an ethical borg.

I actually knew all of that and somehow “all changelings have a bucket” is stupider

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

CainFortea posted:

Yea, season 3 aint great. There's still some good ones. The vulcan zombie ship was nice and creepy. The Trip Clone. The weird alien eggs.

Stratagem was entertaining. They roofie the Xindi guy and make him think he’s on a shuttle with amnesia but they just jury-rigged a Star Tours ride so he’d reveal where the weapon is

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Gutcruncher posted:

I actually knew all of that and somehow “all changelings have a bucket” is stupider

I agree, the changeling bucket thing is a billion-fold stupider than Wesley doing Time Lord Q Continuum Traveler things.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

peak DS9 is nog and jake's oatmeal odo bucket prank

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

mycomancy posted:

I agree, the changeling bucket thing is a billion-fold stupider than Wesley doing Time Lord Q Continuum Traveler things.

It's like how they brought back the boson whistle prop from Star Trek 6 but none of the allegorical political poo poo about the end of the Cold War with the Klingons and growing old and the need to live with change or anything else on that level

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Season 5 of ds9 opens with the scooby gang being klingons

Just a klingon with a irish accent, nothing sus there

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Why would that be stranger than a klingon with an american accent?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Season One and Two of Enterprise is just "American Tourists and their long-suffering native guide", any time it's an away mission episode. There are some legitimately good episodes in the show still, but hoo-boy is the "American tourists loving about" tone prevalent a lot. The rest of it is "...And that's why there's a law or procedure against that by Kirk's time".

Season 3 is "24, But In Space", with Archer getting a Jack Bauer haircut.

Season 4 is Manny Coto pushing the worst aspects of the show (ie; The temporal cold war) immediately into a blender and driving it noisily at a high speed to make drat sure everyone knows they're obliterated. And then making some pretty good "Precursor to the Federation" multi-episode story arcs. And the fantastic, entirely unrelated to the main universe, Mirror Universe two-parter just for the fun of it :allears:.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Yeah season three is 24 in space but I hated 24.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
It’s a real crime that Dr Giggles Guy only got a single Enterprise season. He was totally turning that show around in some real good ways but the well was already poisoned

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

e:nvm

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Oh i get it now, Keiko is the dom and Miles is the sub

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Very dumb nerdy question but I'm sure someone's thought of it.

Is it ever established how the universal interpreter can know when Klingons want to use English and when they want you to hear the original Klingon.
Or does it just not translate swear words which seem to be 90% of the use cases.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Mega Comrade posted:

Is it ever established how the universal interpreter can know when Klingons want to use English and when they want you to hear the original Klingon.
Or does it just not translate swear words which seem to be 90% of the use cases.

It understands intent and non-verbal communications. Similarly as automated doors can differentiate between people standing in front of them, and people who want to go in.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they can also translate completely new alien languages from the first syllable spoken. don't worry about it.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Oh I'm not bothered by it. I was just betting on there being some lore explanation, and lo and behold there was.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
the lady that lives in the computer knows what you want to do

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

the lady that lives in the computer knows what you want to do

She does?! Oh God no!!!

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

O'Brian actually left his anti-intoxicant in his quarters.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Mega Comrade posted:

I wonder if cultures can petition to have certain words in their languages go untranslated because they consider the word sacred, or they believe the meaning can only be contained in the native tongue, etc.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Some words don't have a one-to-one translation so the translator just keeps them as is because it's easier.

Like what we already do when talking about concepts like rasputitsa or hygge or Bushido.

Alternatively, English is just as much a mongrel tongue in the 24th century as it is now and petaQ and such just got adopted as loan words.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Also, as an English speaker, I’d prefer certain words to not be translated simply to save face. Not the best or most egregious example, but fireman jumps to mind. When I don’t think about the word, a fireman represents a skilled professional who helps keep the community safe. When I think about the word, it’s fire and man squashed together, like Trog of The Cave People was asked to come up with it while he was having an off day.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

ChickenHeart posted:

Welp goons, I'm gonna finally get around to watching all of DS9 after catching random episodes across the past decades

I'm sure it won't take too long - it's gotta be like what, 50 episodes, max?

oh

Garak is only in 36 or 37 of those

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Season One and Two of Enterprise is just "American Tourists and their long-suffering native guide", any time it's an away mission episode. There are some legitimately good episodes in the show still, but hoo-boy is the "American tourists loving about" tone prevalent a lot. The rest of it is "...And that's why there's a law or procedure against that by Kirk's time".

Season 3 is "24, But In Space", with Archer getting a Jack Bauer haircut.

Season 4 is Manny Coto pushing the worst aspects of the show (ie; The temporal cold war) immediately into a blender and driving it noisily at a high speed to make drat sure everyone knows they're obliterated. And then making some pretty good "Precursor to the Federation" multi-episode story arcs. And the fantastic, entirely unrelated to the main universe, Mirror Universe two-parter just for the fun of it :allears:.

season 5 could have been so fun