Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Best Friends posted:

Haven’t got the game yet but extremely dumb lore question I can’t stop wondering: why are they called “rogue traders” if they’re authorized by empire?

They wear makeup and everyone misspells it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Is there a way to tell which skills will trigger an attack of opportunity? I thought it was just attacks, but war hymn seems to trigger it as well.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Runa posted:

If your eyes glaze over reading the descriptions of abilities just google Argenta Arch-Militant build and let someone else do the legwork for you.

Because of google being poo poo now and how hard it was to find guides for Wrath until someone explicitly linked them I honestly hadn't even tried to find one.
Honestly yea levelling in this is awful. Pillars 1 had a sort of similar issue where about half way to max you'd be "done" and just picking randomly and I almost feel like that here. Maybe if I started over I'd have a better idea than I did at the start of this.

Dox023 posted:

I am currently playing a slightly altered version of this build. cRPG Bro has some really strong builds on his channel if you want stuff that’s really optimized.

And so much stuff for games is now a video
I don't want to watch a video, I can't pay attention! Gimme some text

I really hope that they (with the space DLC maybe) add quest markers to the space map

Taear fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jan 10, 2024

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Heyyyy everybody what's up welcome back to the channel don't forget to likansubscribe ok today we're looking at a build for

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

The Kingfish posted:

Is there a way to tell which skills will trigger an attack of opportunity? I thought it was just attacks, but war hymn seems to trigger it as well.

War hymn counts as an attack for the purpose of triggering AoOs because one of the talents associated with it causes it to damage daemonic enemies within range. :v: IIRC the only completely non-damaging action that causes an AoO is reloading a gun.

Dox023
Feb 23, 2009

Taear posted:

I don't want to watch a video, I can't pay attention! Gimme some text

Check the comments under the video, usually someone types out the stuff for his builds there. I also have my builds typed out on my pc if you want a text version later.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Dox023 posted:

Check the comments under the video, usually someone types out the stuff for his builds there. I also have my builds typed out on my pc if you want a text version later.

That would be amazing.
Honestly I think my issue is just not understanding how the versitility stuff stacked, I thought it was just on melee attacks and I didn't do them so my head went "Okay you can start with 3 and that's still nice"
I also think Arch Militant is the ONLY promotion class that has a good Heroic.

Can anyone tell me how I can work out which systems I didn't put extractors on? I thought it'd be marked not-green but either it's bugged or it doesn't work that way. I need some Flogiston and I know I've got loads out there I didn't get

Dox023
Feb 23, 2009

Taear posted:

That would be amazing.
Honestly I think my issue is just not understanding how the versitility stuff stacked, I thought it was just on melee attacks and I didn't do them so my head went "Okay you can start with 3 and that's still nice"

Can anyone tell me how I can work out which systems I didn't put extractors on? I thought it'd be marked not-green but either it's bugged or it doesn't work that way. I need some Flogiston and I know I've got loads out there I didn't get

So when you’re on the expanse map there is a little i button near the bottom left. I think if you click that it gives you a list of all the systems/planets you’ve discovered and/or scanned. I’m not 100% sure if it shows whether you have an extractor or not but it’s worth checking.

For the arch-militant versatility stacking you just need to alternate attack types. That could be swapping between single shot and burst fire or shooting and melee, melee into melee area attack or even shooting and using the kick ability etc. The exception being the wildfire ability which specifically states that it grants a stack of versatility no matter what so you can burst -> wildfire -> burst.

I’ll try and remember to get you my list of typed up builds after work. I also need to unfuck my pc, my wife woke me up this morning and showed me a picture of my screen saying it couldn’t boot properly so that’s fun.

Dox023 fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jan 10, 2024

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Taear posted:

I hate it too, but cRPGbro actually has pretty good video builds, without usual "yooooo please smash that subscribe button, now time for soyface and raid shadow legends ad" poo poo and his builds are much better than neoseeker builds.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Taear posted:

That would be amazing.

I thought you had to switch weapons for a long time and couldn't figure out why alternating single shots between the bolter and sniper didn't generate stacks until I reread the tooltip and realized you need to alternate attack types like single shot-burst. :unsmith:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Dox023 posted:

The exception being the wildfire ability which specifically states that it grants a stack of versatility no matter what so you can burst -> wildfire -> burst.

This is what makes Wildfire with the Flashfire talent so strong. Once you've used the Arch Militant heroic actin and gotten up to 9 stacks of versatility you've got two completely AP free burst attacks that will both add additional Versatility Stacks. Get given 2 AP by an officer? that's 3 burst attacks with 3 additional stacks of Versatility. Get given just movement points via Move! Move! Move! and you've still got 2 burst attacks for 2 additional stacks of versatility. And there's also talents that give you bonuses to dodge and armor for each individual shot you've fired, It's how you end up mid-fight with Argenta looking like this:

Dox023
Feb 23, 2009

habeasdorkus posted:

This is what makes Wildfire with the Flashfire talent so strong. Once you've used the Arch Militant heroic actin and gotten up to 9 stacks of versatility you've got two completely AP free burst attacks that will both add additional Versatility Stacks. Get given 2 AP by an officer? that's 3 burst attacks with 3 additional stacks of Versatility. Get given just movement points via Move! Move! Move! and you've still got 2 burst attacks for 2 additional stacks of versatility. And there's also talents that give you bonuses to dodge and armor for each individual shot you've fired, It's how you end up mid-fight with Argenta looking like this:

Indeed! The Reckless Rush ability with the All Out talent is super good too as it temporarily doubles your versatility stacks for free every turn allowing you to get the insanity going faster.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Dox023 posted:

For the arch-militant versatility stacking you just need to alternate attack types. That could be swapping between single shot and burst fire or shooting and melee, melee into melee area attack or even shooting and using the kick ability etc. The exception being the wildfire ability which specifically states that it grants a stack of versatility no matter what so you can burst -> wildfire -> burst.

As far as I can tell that just tells me where I've already done it and doesn't seem to tell me "Hey, you can do stuff here!"

Currently doing Pasqal's final quest step. gently caress this is a buggy one. It WORKS but you have to answer a specific quest bit with a random NPC in a specific order too. What's even weirder is the wrong order still gets the dialogue path you need but only ONE order actually updates the quest

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Taear posted:

Honestly yea levelling in this is awful. Pillars 1 had a sort of similar issue where about half way to max you'd be "done" and just picking randomly and I almost feel like that here.

I thought Pillars had a really great leveling system. Have you considered that maybe the rest of your life is too exhausting to also want to engage with new, dense rpg mechanics? Sometimes, people just want something comforting after a long day, and reading paragraphs of rules text isn't what they need.

I've been there. Other times, something crunchy like this is exactly what I want. It really doesn't sound like you are in the headspace to enjoy an owlcat game, and that's OK.

If the idea of googling for help is too much, maybe take a break?

Edit: I understand wanting to beat a game, but you are clearly not able to interface with its systems right now if you can't beat fights on the easiest difficulty while thinking you've taken all of the good abilities. Even if you drag yourself to the end, what have you proven?

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jan 10, 2024

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

KPC_Mammon posted:

I thought Pillars had a really great leveling system. Have you considered that maybe the rest of your life is too exhausting to also want to engage with new, dense rpg mechanics? Sometimes, people just want something comforting after a long day, and reading paragraphs of rules text isn't what they need.

Edit: I understand wanting to beat a game, but you are clearly not able to interface with its systems right now if you can't beat fights on the easiest difficulty while thinking you've taken all of the good abilities. Even if you drag yourself to the end, what have you proven?

Pillars 2 had an amazing one. Pillars 1 was a bit anemic levelling wise. I wouldn't say that's a controversial opinion?

And no I beat it on Story absolutely fine I just expect it to be like it is in Wrath (as in you put it on story mode and you basically just win the fight without having to do anything).

I LIKE crunchy systems, I just think the one in this is kinda poo poo. Especially since nearly every fight you don't really need to care and it's only occasional ones where suddenly it's really hard and annoying. Big lists of tiny percentages of "if you do this or this happens" are just blah to me. Especially ones that require a lot of consistent ability usage. I don't like micromanagement busywork. This feels a LITTLE like pathfinder pre-buffs only you can't automate it
Probably why i prefer pathfinder 2 so much compared to 1!

Act 4 spoilers
They all turn up and say goodbye but tell me that I've not got my relationship with them very high. Which made me kinda laugh because honestly everyone is above 10 and I'm saying that takes quite a lot of effort!
It's been said but I think it might actually be impossible to get to the higher levels of the different factions, even if you super duper focus on it

Taear fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jan 10, 2024

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Dox023 posted:

I am currently playing a slightly altered version of this build. cRPG Bro has some really strong builds on his channel if you want stuff that’s really optimized.

Jesus, I loving hate when people turn what could be a single page of text into a 30 minute Youtube video. We don't need to watch video of you actually picking the options when you level up one by one.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I think I've broken my game?
Act 4 ending spoilers.
I go to the gateway. I fight the ships then some lady comes onto the ship who I also beat. Then I turn around and go back onto the ship. And now I can't do anything? I go to the system map and the gate isn't interactable with and nobody seems to have new dialogue. Not sure what to do

Edit: unfortunately it seems the only answer is to download toybox. You know I think this is the first time ever I've played a game and been unfortunate enough to encounter a game ending bug, I guess I've been pretty lucky.

Taear fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jan 10, 2024

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away

Terrible Opinions posted:

I don't think it's an incitement of anyone's character, but it is weird to me that people rank Jae as particularly worthy of getting shot. It's something your character in universe has the power to do due to social standing, but she didn't really do anything wrong. Is there some sort of act 4 betrayal plot that I missed?

Jae does some funky stuff if you romance her. More on the 'normal human behavior' side of funky stuff than like, Marazhai, but she releases your sex tape to the whole ship.

CottonWolf posted:

It makes very little sense to keep Idira around except for a Heretic playthrough where she’s regularly summoning “your pals” rather than “unholy abominations from hell”.

First off, the demon summoning is a 5% thing(except for that one personal quest of hers) and she can use a gun just as well-second off, and maybe more relevant, is that Idira is a seer/diviner who is proven to give reliably accurate prophecies which range from foreshadowing to 'hey these guys are about to die/ambush us watch out'. Consider how much Heinrix was willing to sacrifice for the chance to see the future on Kiava Gamma. Compared to that, Idira's mild case of demon summoning isn't much.

Preechr posted:

By far the cruelest thing you can do in this game is to do the entire Yrliet romance and quest up until Quetza Temer, and then after her spirit stone breaks and her people exile her, tell her that this is what real revenge is, and you’re leaving her filthy treacherous xenos rear end to wander the jungles alone forever until Slaanesh takes her.
I applaud the psychopathy.

Jesus christ. And here I was thinking the ending where you romance Marazhai as a heretic and he's stuck in a relationship he knows is literally going to kill him and send him to eternal superhell but can't stop coming back to you was kind of hosed.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I think the Yrilet romance is proper broken, you can't even trigger it with Toybox. You can at least flag it as "done" I guess.

In fact it feels like anything that takes place aboard the ship after the Act 4 stuff is just broken for me. None of it will trigger. Just loads me onto the ship and that's it

Dox023
Feb 23, 2009

t3isukone posted:

First off, the demon summoning is a 5% thing.

I think it’s technically less than 5% because it’s a 5% chance to cause any kind of warp fuckery afaik and most of it is just like “you see ghosts” or “you feel insects under your skin” etc.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Dox023 posted:

I think it’s technically less than 5% because it’s a 5% chance to cause any kind of warp fuckery afaik and most of it is just like “you see ghosts” or “you feel insects under your skin” etc.

if they based it off the tabletop, as an unsanctioned psyker idira's got an appreciably higher chance of rolling the Ah gently caress Here Come Demons results

our pal Heinrix is just as capable of producing demons, he's just far, far less likely to do so

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

if they based it off the tabletop, as an unsanctioned psyker idira's got an appreciably higher chance of rolling the Ah gently caress Here Come Demons results

our pal Heinrix is just as capable of producing demons, he's just far, far less likely to do so
Does Sanctioning mean Heinrix went to Terra and got his eyes burned out or what.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah. He grew a new eyeball after meeting big E

Dox023
Feb 23, 2009

Yeah I don’t know what the actual chances are but in my personal experience she’s far more likely to knock people over or self-immolate than summon demons. In my around 100 hours of playing she’s only summoned a demon once.

rng is rng though.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Dox023 posted:

Yeah I don’t know what the actual chances are but in my personal experience she’s far more likely to knock people over or self-immolate than summon demons. In my around 100 hours of playing she’s only summoned a demon once.

rng is rng though.
Wasn't sure if she summoned a demon on that space hulk or if it was just a bunch of evil intercom airhorns.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Nessus posted:

Does Sanctioning mean Heinrix went to Terra and got his eyes burned out or what.

they have quietly backtracked on that one over the years, because "every psyker has been to Terra" is a pain narratively speaking. all we know is that he has had his soul stapled to Big E in some way, that sometimes the soul-stapling burns your eyeballs out, and that it makes you less likely to roll the Oh Boy Here Come Fun Times results when you start throwing psychic powers around

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

they have quietly backtracked on that one over the years, because "every psyker has been to Terra" is a pain narratively speaking. all we know is that he has had his soul stapled to Big E in some way, that sometimes the soul-stapling burns your eyeballs out, and that it makes you less likely to roll the Oh Boy Here Come Fun Times results when you start throwing psychic powers around
It makes sense that there'd be different degrees and stuff even if maybe all the astropaths end up with burned out eyeballs. You could have like apostolic succession with sanctioned psykers going out to places like the Koronus Expanse.

I believe the great majority of the psykers on the black ships end up being thrown in the ol' Golden Throne furnace, though

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It's impossible to say because 40k's grasp on scale is not good. So the thousands of souls eaten by the chaos god of golden racism, might be a large portion of the black ships, or it could be a drop in the bucket.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

It's impossible to say because 40k's grasp on scale is not good.

This is an incredibly generous way of describing what it is.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

It's impossible to say because 40k's grasp on scale is not good. So the thousands of souls eaten by the chaos god of golden racism, might be a large portion of the black ships, or it could be a drop in the bucket.
My impression is each ship has a shitload of dumb idiots but they probably kind of trickle back since they have to go visit Bognor Regisium IX on the back of beyond to pick up a handful of guys and probably don't come back until they've got a good freight.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Nessus posted:

That’s astropaths, who are pretty high up on the power scale. Heinrix was strong enough to be useful but not so strong that he was capable of being slotted in an advanced program like that; he was just a bog-standard imperial guard issue psyker. Considering he joined the inquisition, the sanctioning probably just seared his butthole shut.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Preechr posted:

That’s astropaths, who are pretty high up on the power scale. Heinrix was strong enough to be useful but not so strong that he was capable of being slotted in an advanced program like that; he was just a bog-standard imperial guard issue psyker. Considering he joined the inquisition, the sanctioning probably just seared his butthole shut.
The Spiritual Gates of the Fourth Chakra, or as we know it, "Chaos's Cornhole"

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Preechr posted:

Ah, so thats where the demons emerge from

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

the "math" means there needs to be several thousand fodder psykers dropped off every 1-2 months, the doom and gloom lore mentions it keeps taking more and more to feed the Throne

It's got to be the lions share of psykers, because the stronger the psyker the more rare, and there's some kind of threshold to be strong enough to make it as a sanctioned psyker.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

pentyne posted:

the "math" means there needs to be several thousand fodder psykers dropped off every 1-2 months, the doom and gloom lore mentions it keeps taking more and more to feed the Throne

It's got to be the lions share of psykers, because the stronger the psyker the more rare, and there's some kind of threshold to be strong enough to make it as a sanctioned psyker.

Bloody lion'el stealing all my psyker psnacks

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The logistical nightmare of every sanctioned psyker having been to Terra is very 40K though. And it's interesting as this caste of people who are completely unmoored in time and space, for whom their esoteric service is their whole world.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
40k is absolutely terrible when it comes to math and scale.

Finishing chapter 3 and I am not sure what to think about it, storywise and visually it was great to visit Dark City, but gameplay was extremely boring and linear. Should I put a pause now and wait until Chapter 4 onwards is patched or is it playable now?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Arglebargle III posted:

The logistical nightmare of every sanctioned psyker having been to Terra is very 40K though. And it's interesting as this caste of people who are completely unmoored in time and space, for whom their esoteric service is their whole world.

They don't all go to Terra, but they are all told that they are on Terra. The Scholastica Psykana has schools all over.

The vast majority of psykers who go to Terra don't leave.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Szarrukin posted:

40k is absolutely terrible when it comes to math and scale.

Finishing chapter 3 and I am not sure what to think about it, storywise and visually it was great to visit Dark City, but gameplay was extremely boring and linear. Should I put a pause now and wait until Chapter 4 onwards is patched or is it playable now?

The first conversation I had with Yrielt in Act 4 her character portrait was replaced with the generic green static. I'm not gonna get back into it until there's a major patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

its one of the smarter things about the Koronus Expanse as a setting. welcome to the rear end end of nowhere's rear end end of nowhere. the Imperium is big, scary, and most critically: a long way away from here.

i hope they eventually drag in the bit from the sourcebooks about the Inquisitor-Trader who wandered off into the far north parts of the map just setting planets on fire as he went, who unites every person in the Expanse on every side of the law in the fervent prayer that he is dead as hell

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 10, 2024