Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Holy poo poo, Jeb did something and it’s Imanaga? Soon we can be the Poor Man’s Dodgers

Hand Row posted:

If it is 5/75, it’s really 5/90 or so with the posting fee I think. Still nothing for the Cubs but there’s risk with signing a pitcher for his 30s who has never pitched in the MLB and gives up dingers. Still would much rather sign him over the other guys in his range or the Boras guys though.

That’s a good point too. If he was that cheap, why wouldn’t the Dodgers or Yankees or anyone else try to sign him? They must know something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
Imanaga is really good and we are lucky to have him.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/JimBowdenGM/status/1744915164476936406

lol what the gently caress?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Cubs did a find and replace to switch the $ to ¥ at the last second.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

Japanese Wikipedia posted:

Imanaga’s pitching arsenal includes a fastball delivered from a three-quarter arm slot, along with sliders, changeups, and curveballs. His fastball, known for its liveliness, and in relief appearances, he has recorded a personal best speed of 95.7 mph (154 km/h) and a maximum spin rate of 2678 rpm. Since 2019, he has added a changeup (split change) in the low 80 mph range (130 km/h), taught to him by his junior colleague Toshiya Sato, and a high-speed slider that fluctuates around the mid-80 mph range (140 km/h). Additionally, he varies his changeup, including a version that reaches around the mid-80 mph range (140 km/h).

When DeNA drafted him, his pitching style drew comparisons to that of Toshiya Sugiuchi. His fastball speed improved significantly in high school, largely due to training that focused on making his scapula more flexible. By his third year, he consistently pitched fastballs in the mid-80 mph range (140 km/h).

During his university years, Imanaga’s pitching was characterized by a pattern of accumulating high strikeout counts when in peak condition and giving up hits when his stamina was depleted. In his rookie year with DeNA (2016), manager Ramirez would typically pull him from the game once his pitch count reached between 85 and 100, as part of a strategy to protect the young pitcher’s arm for the future. After a period of struggle in early June, Imanaga was temporarily demoted to the second team for rest and conditioning. He returned to the first team later in the season and continued to pitch effectively as a starter. He later expressed gratitude to Ramirez, saying that his time in the second team was crucial for his ability to pitch well in the first team.

Imanaga has also shown proficiency in hitting, recording a career batting average of .172 as of the end of the 2022 season. Notably, he achieved a .270 batting average in the 2021 season.

He has earned the nickname “The Philosophical Pitcher” from fans and the media for his distinctive expressions during interviews. His personality and approach to baseball are widely admired.

Imanaga uses Mizuno-made baseball equipment and has been a brand ambassador for Mizuno since 2017. He enjoys listening to professional baseball team songs and sometimes hums the opposing team’s theme on the mound during games as a form of self-encouragement.

Both of his parents are middle school teachers, and his older brother, who is five years his senior, is an elementary school teacher. He has an older sister who is four years his senior. His father passed away in June 2022.

Known for his love of reading, Imanaga’s first book, “Shota Imanaga’s Pitching Bible,” was announced in September 2023 for release on October 27, 2023, by Baseball Magazine Sha.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

God dammit lol sign a normal loving deal

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Did we just "Ozzie Albies" Shota Imanaga? Why is he this cheap?

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

Popete posted:

He's cooked op. Of course we're the only team that doesn't know!

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

every year jed must solve the Riddle of Imanaga. If he succeeds, Shota resigns for another year at $15 million. If he fails, however, it's $45 million plus Hoyer must dress as Bay Stars mascot Starman at the Winter Meetings.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Popete posted:

quote:

Shōta Imanaga (今永 昇太, Imanaga Shōta, born September 1, 1993), nicknamed "The Throwing Philosopher"

the Throwing Philosopher heard we have a Professor

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

*Bursts into room, panting*

IS IT TIME TO CUBSPOST?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Explosionface posted:

*Bursts into room, panting*

IS IT TIME TO CUBSPOST?

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

It's always time to Cubspost, my friends

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i paid my Posting Fee 20 years ago

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Canned Sunshine posted:

That’s a good point too. If he was that cheap, why wouldn’t the Dodgers or Yankees or anyone else try to sign him? They must know something.

Heard the Dodgers dropped out once they were told Imanaga wanted to get paid prior to 2040

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

thanks for this

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Phillies at the bottom? Brewers nowhere near the top? I call shenanigans.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
That's because Brewers fans never make it out of the parking lot

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The LA County DA's office is declining to file felony domestic violence charges against Julio Urias. They are still determining if he will be charged with a misdemeanor offense.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/39275476/ex-dodger-julio-urias-face-felony-charges-da-says

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

ScottyJSno posted:

[Imanaga] enjoys listening to professional baseball team songs and sometimes hums the opposing team’s theme on the mound during games as a form of self-encouragement.

That's low key kinda savage.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Honestly wild that the brewers are that far up considering the tailgate that starts at ??? and ends 2 hours after the game.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

anakha posted:

would like to see the same list sorted by the last column as well

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

anakha posted:

Gonna assume that Phillies fans prefer to sneak their own booze in

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
you can't be counted buying drinks at the game when you're already too drunk to even get in the stadium

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
very excited for this Cubs signing at last year's low low price of 2 years of trey mancini annually, not including contract elevators, mutual opt-in no takebacksies, secret dumb waiter 'do you like us y/n' notes, reverse staircase for innings and pizza eating contest clauses

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

The LA County DA's office is declining to file felony domestic violence charges against Julio Urias. They are still determining if he will be charged with a misdemeanor offense.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/39275476/ex-dodger-julio-urias-face-felony-charges-da-says
Seems weird cause I thought when it happened we heard there's video and a bunch of witnesses. Sucks that LA can't seem to prosecute, he got away with it the first time because his girlfriend didn't want to press charges.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Sydin posted:

That's low key kinda savage.

Yeah it is, holy poo poo

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

Who had a worse agent: Kenta Maeda when he came over, or whoever the hell just committed malpractice for Shota Imanaga?

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
There's gotta be a medical issue, right?

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Hard to say, because it's probably the cubs trying to pay as little as possible, but there's a non-zero chance it's Imanaga trying to guarantee that he hits free agency at 32, with 2 good years of MLB proof to go out and get the "gently caress you" contract that yamamoto was able to get this offseason

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

anakha posted:

I remember years ago when the Angels made a big deal about how their stadium had low concession prices. That chart means their beers are $17.50 each. :psyduck:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

bawfuls posted:

would like to see the same list sorted by the last column as well

e: oops, middle column title should be Average # of drinks, but all the numbers are still right

Kevlar v2.0 fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jan 10, 2024

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Could be a lot of craft beers though

Or maybe everyone in Ahaheim gets those yard margaritas

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

TheFlyingLlama posted:

Hard to say, because it's probably the cubs trying to pay as little as possible, but there's a non-zero chance it's Imanaga trying to guarantee that he hits free agency at 32, with 2 good years of MLB proof to go out and get the "gently caress you" contract that yamamoto was able to get this offseason

No pitcher is getting that kind of deal at 32 unless they’re Scherzer-level dominant

Like, the reason Yoshinobu Yamamoto got paid is that he’s unusually young on top of being dominant, so the odds favor him as much as they can favor any pitcher with no MLB experience

I think it’s more likely that MLB teams were spooked by Imanaga’s apparent propensity for giving up dingers. The teams that were in on him, too, are like a who’s-who of teams with more money than sense — Giants, Angels, Red Sox. That’s not all that encouraging

bravesword fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jan 10, 2024

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

anakha posted:

Braves fan here. The beer and wine is free where my tickets are, and it's a pretty big section. I wonder if our 2nd place has something to do with that. Are a lot of other parks offering free hooch to premium sections? An Orioles fan sitting next to me said their premium seats only gave free popcorn and cracker jacks haha.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

General Bullshit posted:

Who had a worse agent: Kenta Maeda when he came over, or whoever the hell just committed malpractice for Shota Imanaga?

I assume in both cases the issue is that their elbow looks terrifying on any type of imaging equipment. Plus the posting period has a hard deadline so you can lowball these guys if there isn't a real feeding frenzy.

Canned Sunshine posted:

The Yankees probably had real reservations about his HR rate in Japan on top of whatever the medicals show, although I would have been excited if they did sign him. I expected Senga to open the door more for guys like Imanaga.

EDIT: oh

https://twitter.com/GoCubs49/status/1745099720035328306?s=20

Imanaga = Mervert confirmed

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jan 10, 2024

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Imanaga seems gives up more dingers/9 than Kikuchi did in Japan and that seems rough!

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Maybe he's good pals with Seiya. If not yet, he will be. :3:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Imanaga seems gives up more dingers/9 than Kikuchi did in Japan and that seems rough!

And from what I gather that number rarely goes down when you move from Japan to MLB.

That being said, I'm still a little peeved the Red Sox didn't get him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Inspector_666 posted:

Imanaga = Mervert confirmed

:doit: