Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Beer_Suitcase posted:

Leaping from tree to tree as they float down the mighty rivers of British Columbia. The giant redwood, the larch, the fir, the mighty Scots pine!

Not yet.

British Columbia is too cold for them. So is Washington and most of Oregon.

But it was warm enough forty million years ago, and it may be warm enough again soon. :nsa:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

They don't send logs down river anymore. They store them in log booms in lakes or the ocean, while they wait to be processed. They don't spend that much time in the water overall, maybe a couple weeks at the most. Not enough time to cause any real damage. If anything it's beneficial, as it softens the bark and makes it easier to remove during processing.

You can make a decent living in some areas as a beachcomber too. Inevitably some logs come loose from the booms, and once that happens they're legally up for grabs. Beachcombers putter around in their little boats and mini-tugs, picking up any loose logs and selling them to local lumber mills.

Wasn't there a show about it too, another of those history channel reality things? Maybe ax men?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/mwBLM2B.mp4

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Azhais posted:

Wasn't there a show about it too, another of those history channel reality things? Maybe ax men?

There was a cancon drama in the ‘80s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erd4vN40jYw

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
every year logs have to swim back upriver to breed

though fewer and fewer logs make it

thanks global warming

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Platystemon posted:

Not yet.

But it was warm enough forty million years ago, and it may be warm enough again soon. :nsa:

https://youtu.be/pfRdur8GLBM?si=DSRDTRZjINBxHPq6

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Jonny Nox posted:

More of a comedy.

Almost every episode had some light hijinks, then something would happen, but dangit, we'll never make it in time in the Persephone (a boat)! Then they'd have to ask lovable old curmudgeon Relic for help, and then he'd bomb rear end off to save the day in his sleeper jet-boat.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Every time I see people running across floating logs, I think of that one post10 video where he visits this lake where there are thousands of logs floating and how he was walking across some of them while also warning people that a log could roll under his feet and trap him in place atop at this remote log ocean or trap him underwater with no way out if he didn't get crushed outright.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jan 10, 2024

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

They don't send logs down river anymore. They store them in log booms in lakes or the ocean, while they wait to be processed. They don't spend that much time in the water overall, maybe a couple weeks at the most. Not enough time to cause any real damage. If anything it's beneficial, as it softens the bark and makes it easier to remove during processing.

You can make a decent living in some areas as a beachcomber too. Inevitably some logs come loose from the booms, and once that happens they're legally up for grabs. Beachcombers putter around in their little boats and mini-tugs, picking up any loose logs and selling them to local lumber mills.

My grandpa lived along the Columbia river and when he took his boat out and came across any loose floating logs he would tie a rope or chain around it and tow it to the nearest mill to sell it to them

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

gently caress SNEEP posted:

My grandpa lived along the Columbia river and when he took his boat out and came across any loose floating logs he would tie a rope or chain around it and tow it to the nearest mill to sell it to them

Yeah, I had several uncles that did the same, in the Kitimat area of BC. My grandfather owned a logging mill there, and all my uncles would go beachcombing in their off hours to make some extra bucks.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

the thing that surprises me the most is that the Popcorn Gun That Explodes And Injures Bystanders is Chinese and not American

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Glad to see sex robot is still getting work

https://youtu.be/Fvh32fQ8nNI?si=BolPXCAKrss6UPOq

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Space Kablooey posted:

Sending logs downriver seems pretty weird to me because won't the logs rot, waterlogged like that?

Aside from what was already mentioned, freshly felled timber already has a barely lower water content than the river itself, cutting green logs feels kinda like slicing into a one-ton watermelon and it takes weeks to months and an insane amount of energy to eventually dry the lumber to a commercially workable state

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Platystemon posted:

Not yet.

Years ago I stumbled across a few people discussing that they had planted some redwoods on their properties deep in the Norwegian fjords - it's surprisingly sheltered and temperate in there, so they do apparently grow fine. They won't reach their full remarkable heights in my lifetime, but it's a fun thought.

There's also a single young one in the botanical gardens here, and it's still just a normal sized tree - but if it's happy with the conditions, I imagine it will eventually be a bit of a landmark. :)

And yeah invasive species and all that. I'm not super worried about these sneakily taking over the coast or being hard to keep in check.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jan 10, 2024

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

They don't send logs down river anymore.

They still do!

But anyway trees don't rot while standing even though they're full of water, because they are also full of biological compounds that prevent fungi and other microbes from spreading. It takes some time for those to deteriorate or evaporate.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
I think invasive species get a bad rap. Like those Joro spiders. They're loving huge and look like something out of a futuristic horror movie.

I love them because as huge as they are, you know they have to eat a gently caress ton. And I'm troubled by what may not be an invasive species, but sure as gently caress is an annoying species: the gnat

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Computer viking posted:

Years ago I stumbled across a few people discussing that they had planted some redwoods on their properties deep in the Norwegian fjords - it's surprisingly sheltered and temperate in there, so they do apparently grow fine. They won't reach their full remarkable heights in my lifetime, but it's a fun thought.

There's also a single young one in the botanical gardens here, and it's still just a normal sized tree - but if it's happy with the conditions, I imagine it will eventually be a bit of a landmark. :)

Coast redwoods (Sequoia sempervirens) are my favorite. They’re the ones with valuable lumber that could potentially grow in a warmer BC, but they’re by far the least cold tolerant of the redwoods.

Giant sequoia (Sequoiadendron giganteum) though take at least negative twenty Celsius. This makes sense, because they grow at altitudes nearing three thousand metres. This species is probably the one to plant as an exotic spectacle. Historical specimens rival coast redwoods in both height and bulk; today they hold the latter and coast redwoods the former. Giant sequoia lumber is nearly worthless, but that didn’t stop scoundrels from logging many of them.

The University of Oslo has some giant sequoia. There are four older ones elsewhere in the country cataloged here.

The dawn redwood (Metasequoia glyptostroboides) is deciduous and even a little tougher. They have a cool history, but they do not grow to great height, size, or age. There are some of these at the University, too.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Azhais posted:

Pretty sure Dirty Jobs did an episode about a guy that collects logs like that

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Platystemon posted:

Coast redwoods (Sequoia sempervirens) are my favorite. They’re the ones with valuable lumber that could potentially grow in a warmer BC, but they’re by far the least cold tolerant of the redwoods.

Giant sequoia (Sequoiadendron giganteum) though take at least negative twenty Celsius. This makes sense, because they grow at altitudes nearing three thousand metres. This species is probably the one to plant as an exotic spectacle. Historical specimens rival coast redwoods in both height and bulk; today they hold the latter and coast redwoods the former. Giant sequoia lumber is nearly worthless, but that didn’t stop scoundrels from logging many of them.

The University of Oslo has some giant sequoia. There are four older ones elsewhere in the country cataloged here.

The dawn redwood (Metasequoia glyptostroboides) is deciduous and even a little tougher. They have a cool history, but they do not grow to great height, size, or age. There are some of these at the University, too.

Ah, thanks for the precision. I've actually been to visit the ones in the UiO botanical garden, they're neat trees even at their current height.

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

Computer viking posted:

And yeah invasive species and all that. I'm not super worried about these sneakily taking over the coast or being hard to keep in check.

Well at least they don't immolate themselves to out compete everything else like eucalyptus do :tif:

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

coldpudding posted:

Well at least they don't immolate themselves to out compete everything else like eucalyptus do :tif:

Hah, I'd forgotten that. I think the american redwoods are adapted to forest fires, but there's a step up from that to trying to summon them. :supaburn:

Also, Norway is absolutely covered in Thuja, it's by far our most popular hedge plant. If we can deal with millions of one North American cypress variant, we'll probably survive a handful more.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Computer viking posted:

Also, Norway is absolutely covered in Thuja, it's by far our most popular hedge plant. If we can deal with millions of one North American cypress variant, we'll probably survive a handful more.

Thujas are the worst pine filth in existence. Horrible, greasy plants. One of the few that should be outright illegal to plant.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

PurpleXVI posted:

Thujas are the worst pine filth in existence. Horrible, greasy plants. One of the few that should be outright illegal to plant.

On the other hand, they make for a dense, evergreen hedge that takes very little work apart from trimming once a year; I see the attraction. How is it as firewood?

(I live in an inner city apartment anyway, so it's theoretical to me.)

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Computer viking posted:

On the other hand, they make for a dense, evergreen hedge that takes very little work apart from trimming once a year; I see the attraction. How is it as firewood?

(I live in an inner city apartment anyway, so it's theoretical to me.)

All resinous softwoods make for terrible firewood.
Great as fenceposts since the oil content protects them but they will clog up your flue something fierce with creosote and they smell pretty strong when burnt, possibly even with irritating fumes.

Good as kindling or for (non cooking) outdoor fires

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jan 10, 2024

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

All resinous softwoods make for terrible firewood.
Great as fenceposts since the oil content protects them but they will clog up your flue something fierce with creosote and they smell pretty strong when burnt, possibly even with irritating fumes.

Good as kindling or for (non cooking) outdoor fires

The majority of firewood burnt in the nordic countries is softwood. Or mixed rather. It's not the best, but it's perfectly usable.

e: I can personally attest to burning nothing but softwood for 5 years without any of these problems. Now I run a mix but majority softwood.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jan 10, 2024

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

This must be the home version of the one they had on Mythbusters (with guest star Alton Brown!)

https://youtu.be/lhTdAMWiYeo?si=hFRzVzmz5sXV55Mg

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Beer_Suitcase posted:

Leaping from tree to tree as they float down the mighty rivers of British Columbia. The giant redwood, the larch, the fir, the mighty Scots pine!

Oh Bevis :allears:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

He's a lumberjack and he's okay, even though that he might be gay.
:gaysper:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Thanks for the responses! My only experience with timber in water is from driftwood at the beach, and those felt more like paper than wood.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Vampire Panties posted:

:hmmno: Buffalo are loving HUGE. A few years ago I took a cross-country road trip visiting national parks. I was at Badlands National Park at sunset, driving from the viewing area back to the campground when I encountered a buffalo directly. The buffalo got close enough to sniff the bumper :stare:.. I was in a jeep, but honestly I think the buffalo could've taken us if they'd wanted.

between that, and having lived in Alaska and seen moose up close.... :catstare: what are these loving people doing :catstare:

Great picture! How long were you in that standoff with the buffalo?

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

Great picture! How long were you in that standoff with the buffalo?

Thanks! We faced off for maybe five minutes. I think the LED headlights dazzled the buffalo a bit, and it was intrigued by the fan noises from the LED. I backed up twenty feet and it walked off into the dark

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

HolHorsejob posted:

the thing that surprises me the most is that the Popcorn Gun That Explodes And Injures Bystanders is Chinese and not American

THIS SIDE TOWARD ENEMY TODDLER'S MOUTH

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

More tunnel madness in Brazil

https://twitter.com/MailOnline/status/1744330916602777808?t=3-VtjfkmHDqir9Awi1JXiA&s=19

This inspired a little known Philip K Dick story called "Do Brazilians Dream of A Gilded Keep"

Beer_Suitcase fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jan 11, 2024

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Was the gold down there

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Probably, it's often found in them thar holes

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

It's a total tunnel turmoil ITT

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Jet Jaguar posted:

This must be the home version of the one they had on Mythbusters (with guest star Alton Brown!)

https://youtu.be/lhTdAMWiYeo?si=hFRzVzmz5sXV55Mg

LOL that he holds it upright in front of his face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

*Jumping Peppers!* *Enjoy the Sauce!*

Jonny Nox posted:

The 'combers!

That was a staple in our house when I was *really* young