Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
From The Deepest Darkest Part of Africa, Akeem the African Dream

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQtIUtp2n_4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

snoremac posted:

Believe it was the week before Chris Benoit

It was two weeks before Benoit. I remember that because Sherri Martel died days after the limo explosion and people thought it was in pretty bad taste to dedicate the following Raw to mourning Vince. At one point Stephanie came out to do a crying promo about her father and the crowd booed the hell out of it.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

how does hhh look younger than this 30 years later fully bald and with a grey beard

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Eau de MacGowan posted:

how does hhh look younger than this 30 years later fully bald and with a grey beard

steroids

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

That was his original gimmick, and then he transitioned to "Hunter Hearst-Helmsley", "a Connecticut blueblood". Which was basically the same thing but with a bad English accent. He acted like an 18th century nobleman.

As we can see once again, Vince McMahon only comes up with the best gimmicks.

I think we all knew that he was a creative powerhouse when he came up with a club where people put their mouth on his butt

Yes I know there are better references, but this one says that Test and Scott Steiner once cornered Stacy Keibler and took turns farting on her.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Eau de MacGowan posted:

The whole look probably has that effect on purpose given the point is to try to look like a gross stodgy old fucker.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Defiance Industries posted:

I think we all knew that he was a creative powerhouse when he came up with a club where people put their mouth on his butt

Yes I know there are better references, but this one says that Test and Scott Steiner once cornered Stacy Keibler and took turns farting on her.

This is a Terrence and Philip bit.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

lol vince had a cartoon made where his rear end was sentient and had arms and then his rear end pulled a turkey out of his rear end and everyone ate it

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

MrQwerty posted:

lol vince had a cartoon made where his rear end was sentient and had arms and then his rear end pulled a turkey out of his rear end and everyone ate it

and most of it is lost media lol

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i want to see the other stuff so bad, it looked pretty entertaining in an extremely vince mcmahon way

edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkV5kqbLaJE

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jan 8, 2024

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Because it was a blatant Rip-off of “Assy McGee”.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

MrQwerty posted:

:psyduck:

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

this surprises you?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
They also had a few cartoons making light of Ric Flair's sexual harassments and assaults over the years. Like they presented the Plane Ride from Hell as though it was a delightful romp.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Pope Corky the IX posted:

They also had a few cartoons making light of Ric Flair's sexual harassments and assaults over the years. Like they presented the Plane Ride from Hell as though it was a delightful romp.

You mean the 30 for 30?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I don't think so?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

It definitely had cartoons that gave jokey depictions of Flair exposing himself in various settings

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
There have been cartoons produced by WWE over the last twenty-five years for their site, the Network, Spike, DVD, etc. That's what I'm talking about.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure Camp WWE had Flair as a perverted little shithead kid.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I think it was Paul Roma who said he didn't last as a horseman because he wouldn't hang out with the rest of them because he got tired of Flair whipping his dick out all the time

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

There have been cartoons produced by WWE over the last twenty-five years for their site, the Network, Spike, DVD, etc. That's what I'm talking about.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure Camp WWE had Flair as a perverted little shithead kid.

Did they ever do a cartoon about the Plane Ride from Hell that wasn't WWE Story Time? Because that was a different plane ride where Ric Flair pulled his dick out.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

OK goddam it let's just settle this. Where's the link to the spreadsheet that tracks all the times Ric Flair pulled his dick out in public?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Prof. Crocodile posted:

OK goddam it let's just settle this. Where's the link to the spreadsheet that tracks all the times Ric Flair pulled his dick out in public?
I don't think theres a hard drive in existence with that kind of capacity.

Mulaney Power Move posted:

I think it was Paul Roma who said he didn't last as a horseman because he wouldn't hang out with the rest of them because he got tired of Flair whipping his dick out all the time

Does that make him homophobic?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Prof. Crocodile posted:

I think it'd be faster to make a list of all the times he had it put away.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

cartoon Rey Mysterio just chowin down on rear end turkey

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Prof. Crocodile posted:

Now I imagine Randy, Dave and Triple H just awkwardly sitting there in silence while Ric gets it over with for that night.

Grendels Dad fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jan 9, 2024

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

this surprises you?

It does not, just having the words written out brings about a fever dream fugue state

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Because to them, it WAS. After all, no one got hurt, did they? At worst, some women got shocked or crowded. Water off a duck's back, right?

They didn't, and probably never will be able to, understand just how traumatic even such 'harmless' acts can be. Partly because of ultra macho crap, partly because of carny crap, and partly because society just is not ready until it is. For the best example, see Monica Lewinsky: how much mockery and scorn was directed at her back in the heyday of 'her scandal'? When most of it should have been heaped on Clinton abusing the power of his position. The power imbalance and just how that works is just as true THEN as it is now, but then, if you tried to explain it, 99 percent of people would have just blown you off or stared at you blankly (and those are the nice reactions: you'd also probably get a lot of 'why are you standing up for the whore?'. Probably far too much of that, mixed in with "What, do you wanna gently caress her too?"). Society in general wasn't ready.

Part of me does understand why the Flair types just keep doing their thing and then suddenly one day it seems it went from 'This is fine, just keep it hands off, okay Flair?' to 'This is absolutely unacceptable and we are going to punish you severely for it and all the past events'. The change is so gradual and the nature of pushback too often doesn't match it (I suspect a lot of 'cancelled' people would never have been 'cancelled' if pushback to what becomes understood as unacceptable was done at the same slow pace understanding comes, instead of finally hitting a tipping point and probably making a lot of people feel like they left the room and 'they' 'changed all the rules'). Not that I am not condoning his actions or going 'oh let the boys be boys and/or blow off some steam'. You just need to remember that while some things will always be the same, a lot is not, and projecting current mindsets into the past is a waste of time and pointless outrage.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

And here I thought the Scooby-Doo crossovers were crazy with the monster trucks.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

WhiteHowler posted:

From watching the documentary, I have learned that Jim Cornette doesn't seem to like Vince Russo very much.

To say Jim Cornette doesn't like Vince Russo is like saying 'The Pacific Ocean is a body of water'. Technically true, but oh boy is it lacking many crucial details.

First off, Cornette is no innocent victim here. There's definitely a chunk of old man get off my lawn the old days were better the best way to listen to music is on records in his viewpoints. This is the kind of guy who fondly reminiscences on numerous times when he and his wrestlers had to fight their way out of riots in the arena because it meant they'd done such a good job making the fans 'believe' and 'care'. Yeah, maybe they did, but Cornette doesn't seem to realize just how nasty the other edge of that sword could have been and how lucky he was that he and his wrestlers, often his very good friends, were. One of Cornette's constant wrestlers was Bobby Eaton, said in reality to be one of the nicest guys in the business. Cornette doesn't seem to realize that in retrospect, their 'great work' put Eaton at risk who knows how many times of being mob-murdered, or slashed with a feces soaked knife and getting a horrific infection, or maybe even worse.

I think there's also some buried envy and hatred of the fact that for a time, 'no one saw' how worthless Russo's ideas were and they actually helped produce great success, beyond what anything Cornette had done. Imagine having a company where you make sure you do 'everything right, by the book' (Smokey Mountain Wrestling) and it only lasts a few years, while the guy who you hate's ideas help pull a company out of a death slump and make it as popular as it was in its heyday, and even more so, perhaps. Just how much that return and success can be given to Russo is a debate with no real answer, but he WAS a part of it.

That being said, and we're also discounting poo poo like Russo possibly talking behind and stabbing Cornette in the back when they both worked in the same company, which would piss off anyone, let alone someone with as bad a temper as Cornette, the man is not wrong in his assessment that Russo did damage the business, both as he saw it and as it was. Russo was not a wrestling fan, he was a fan of trash, anything to get attention, car crash rubbernecking. He saw little to no value to the actual work inside the ring, and at the end of the day, that IS what this is about, whether two people are fighting because they don't like each other, one stole the other's girlfriend, one tried to run the other over with a car, one spilled coffee on the other, one tried to shove a chair around the neck of the other and fatally snap his vertebrae, and so on. To Russo, it was about getting attention, and not so much keeping it as throwing out something else to get NEW attention, don't touch that dial. And as said, the business was in a rut, and times had to change, and it might well have been a buggy whip change (a constant refrain of mine from the film Other People's Money, where the main character points out that if you cut away all the other details, the company he's trying to liquidate has no future, just like every buggy whip for horses for main transport company didn't when the automobile finally became as ubiquitous as horse-pulled carriages were. That last buggy whip company might have made the finest for the price buggy whip you could buy...but cars didn't need them, and cars were now the norm, no going back).

The problem, of course, was that Russo didn't realize he was just part of a collective making a change and that no matter what, unlike buggy whips and cars, this was not going to change at its core. To his mind, he completely reinvented the wheel and the car, and he never evolved when evidence showed that he drastically overestimated just how effective his methods were. And in doing so, as Cornette bitterly snarls, he 'hosed the business'. He basically went and bellowed in the fan's ears that this was all just pre-arranged nonsense and that you were stupid if you believed it, the real entertainment is the Jerry Springer stuff he produced. He never considered the future, just throw poo poo at the wall NOW. In the end, Cornette was mostly right. Russo didn't reinvent the car, and he also did the equivalent of adding lead to the gasoline, a short term fix that caused much worse long term problems.

Still, Cornette is a man who is far too close to the issue to be properly impartial. As he's said, he wants to outlive Russo so he can piss on his grave. You think if Cornette dies before Russo, he's going to try and do the same? No. In the end, Cornette's right, but he doesn't understand that being right doesn't make him as right as he thinks he is, and he doesn't seem to understand that he's giving Russo far too much power over him over poo poo that in the end, just isn't important. But as the meme goes, IT'S STILL REAL TO CORNETTE, drat IT. And he never got the other side of the sword of just how badly that 'realness' could have gone.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
brother love was cool, but cornette can jump off a cliff

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Brother Love was Pritchard, unless I'm misreading

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
oh drat i thought he did brother love

welp brother love was still cool

e : and cornette can still jump off a cliff

ded fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jan 9, 2024

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And here I thought the Scooby-Doo crossovers were crazy with the monster trucks.

The WWE/Hanna-Barbera crossovers were pretty funny in how chaotic they got due to WWE's constant cutting ties.

- The Flintstones one had CM Punkrock as the main villain. It was coming out long after Punk left WWE and WWE insisted HB alter the movie in light of that. HB laughed them off.

- While the first Scooby Doo movie came out fine, the sequel was going to have a big emphasis on Hulk Hogan. When THAT shoe dropped, they really did have to rework the movie to completely remove him.

- The Jetsons movie had appearances from various wrestlers and their futuristic robot doppelgangers. As Cody Rhodes was gone by this point, Stardust was missing from the movie, but the Stardust robot was still around.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

MrQwerty posted:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xq7ka

dont forget to post the video

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the flintstone movie is amazingly bad lol cm punk's pain delivery every time he has to make a rock pun ftw

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
There was a Twitter post the other day on how old school promoters would run their shows today.

Paul Heyman would give you the greatest month of Wrestling ever before the checks start to bounce.

Cornette would book like it's still 1978. He's probably have some "woke" heel stable.

He had a black tag team doing the gangster gimmick as his top heels. He's not above shock value himself.

Anyway, Cornette's retelling of the Montreal Screwjob is pretty entertaining. He treats everyone in the story like an idiot, which they were, and once suggested that they book Bret in a shoot with Shamrock so that he would drop the title.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Okuteru posted:

Anyway, Cornette's retelling of the Montreal Screwjob is pretty entertaining. He treats everyone in the story like an idiot, which they were, and once suggested that they book Bret in a shoot with Shamrock so that he would drop the title.

It's also proof of my assessment that he's too close to really understand just how 'wrong' Vince Russo was for the business (ie, SO wrong that Cornette wants to piss on his grave). Because his view on 'everyone involved in this is stupid', namely his view that Bret didn't realize he wasn't an actual hero, he was a performer paid to do a job and now was refusing to do it because he saw himself as 'a hero' in Canada...Cornette, that's the EXACT SAME MINDSET YOU HAVE TOWARDS RUSSO. It just focuses on different things. Bret's view on Shawn and how that tied into his choice is cut from the same cloth you have about Russo. As I said. Being right does not mean he is as right as he thinks that makes him.

There's also the nagging possibility that I suspect Jim gained and still has all these years later that all the stuff Russo kicked into overdrive, Cornette might have helped laid down the soil for. He said Russo hosed the business because he injected far too much reality, but he was the one who may have suggested that if Bret wouldn't drop the title in a fake match, then get it off him in a 'real' one. And once the snowball was thrown...

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Cornwind Evil posted:

It's also proof of my assessment that he's too close to really understand just how 'wrong' Vince Russo was for the business (ie, SO wrong that Cornette wants to piss on his grave). Because his view on 'everyone involved in this is stupid', namely his view that Bret didn't realize he wasn't an actual hero, he was a performer paid to do a job and now was refusing to do it because he saw himself as 'a hero' in Canada...Cornette, that's the EXACT SAME MINDSET YOU HAVE TOWARDS RUSSO. It just focuses on different things. Bret's view on Shawn and how that tied into his choice is cut from the same cloth you have about Russo. As I said. Being right does not mean he is as right as he thinks that makes him.

There's also the nagging possibility that I suspect Jim gained and still has all these years later that all the stuff Russo kicked into overdrive, Cornette might have helped laid down the soil for. He said Russo hosed the business because he injected far too much reality, but he was the one who may have suggested that if Bret wouldn't drop the title in a fake match, then get it off him in a 'real' one. And once the snowball was thrown...

Bret was just too much of a mark for himself and Shawn kind of hosed himself over with past comments towards Bret.

But yeah, I don't see how having Shamrock shoot on Bret would have gone over well with anyone. One promotion signals to the others in the locker room that they are not above using real violence to get what they want, and the other would have gotten a former world champion who just got his rear end kicked by a legitimate tough guy.

This is why I rank Bryan Danielson over Bret. Dude might not know when to stop, but at least he knows when to job.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Bret stated at the time that he was happy to lose to Shamrock, or (had he been uninjured) Austin, or anyone who wasn't Shawn and as long as it wasn't in Canada. He offered to lose it the week before in New York.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
That & the fact that Bret's contract still had a few weeks before running out meant the screw job was pointless in the end. If Bret had actually taken the WWF title to WCW he'd be in breach & guarantee Vince would've sued him & WCW into oblivion for it. Makes me wonder if it was just Vince being a dick because he knew about the issues between Shawn/Bret & was mad about the WCW "defection" but wanted HBK to be champ again to rub it in Bret's face/piss him off on the way out.