Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Drink ウコン before drinking next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I slam a liter of Pocari on the walk home and that does the trick most of the time.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Mister Chief posted:

Drink ウコン before drinking next time.

I love how the instructions for the Ukon are “drink with water, and be sure to drink water during the night!” and yet the Ukon claims credit 🙃

Yeah, get thee a Pocari Sweat and something greasy. Alternatively: early morning can chu-hi :gritin:

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Miso soup is great for settling your stomach

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Is there a Suica shortage? My friends going to be in Japan in a week and I'm wondering how he will get a card. Can he get one when he lands at NRT?

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Someone once told me that hangovers are caused by sleeping and becoming dehydrated from the alcohol, so I always slam a full bottle of water before I sleep now to balance it out and I’ve never been hungover since I started doing that. That’s my advice I guess.

I dunno, or just don’t drink too much. Or do, and drink a ton of Hoppy. That poo poo is wild.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Thanks all. I don't usually drink much or often on account of being prone to bad hangovers and on this occasion I only had the equivalent of about 3-4 glasses of wine, with water in between. But one of them was sake which I rarely have the opportunity to drink so I reckon that's what got me, and just mixing drinks.

Mos Burger with a ginger ale for dinner and I'm feeling almost human again! It's not intentional but I've had a track record of visiting a new country and needing to discover what local treatments are available for random ailments. Makes for some memorable experiences if nothing else.

I've got a kendo lesson booked for tomorrow so am looking forward to not being ill for that :)

Busy Bee - the terminal we landed at in Haneda just prior to new year's didn't have Suica cards for sale there, we got told we'd need to go to another terminal to get one, but no indication that they were sold out. We ended up just going to the JR station and getting Icoca cards and they've been just fine for getting around with. Also I was delighted to discover that the duck on the card is actually a platypus :3:

bee fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jan 7, 2024

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

Busy Bee posted:

Is there a Suica shortage? My friends going to be in Japan in a week and I'm wondering how he will get a card. Can he get one when he lands at NRT?

Yeah, and looks like only Haneda has the Welcome Suicas now. They should be able to get a Pasmo Passport which is like a welcome Suica at Narita.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Chekans 3 16 posted:

Yeah, and looks like only Haneda has the Welcome Suicas now. They should be able to get a Pasmo Passport which is like a welcome Suica at Narita.

If he has an iPhone, is it possible to set it up that way without having to buy an IC card?

Seems like it's possible to add an IC card to an iPhone's Apple Wallet but only if it's recharged with a Mastercard? Does one need a physical IC card before they do this or can they just create one within the Apple Wallet?

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jan 7, 2024

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

What is the Japan version of DayQuil/NyQuil, I have fallen ill and need to kick this poo poo to the curb, I only have 3 days left

I got some bron but it doesn't seem to be doing poo poo, and googling indicates most of the cold meds here have caffeine

Edit: pharmacist at donki hooked me up with some yasumo which has no caffeine. Also the cough drops are by the gummy worms and not the cough medicine. Hope it works!

Shredder fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 7, 2024

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Busy Bee posted:

If he has an iPhone, is it possible to set it up that way without having to buy an IC card?

Seems like it's possible to add an IC card to an iPhone's Apple Wallet but only if it's recharged with a Mastercard? Does one need a physical IC card before they do this or can they just create one within the Apple Wallet?

No, you don't need to have an physical IC card first to use the digital one. Just create a digital one in the app. In fact, if you covert a physical IC card into digital that physical IC card becomes invalidated anyways.

For visa, some visa cards work but it's kind of a black box if your visa card will work. It's due to some issue with Visa's authentication for foreign cards working with Japan's payment processor.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Shredder posted:

What is the Japan version of DayQuil/NyQuil, I have fallen ill and need to kick this poo poo to the curb, I only have 3 days left

I got some bron but it doesn't seem to be doing poo poo, and googling indicates most of the cold meds here have caffeine

Edit: pharmacist at donki hooked me up with some yasumo which has no caffeine. Also the cough drops are by the gummy worms and not the cough medicine. Hope it works!
Trusty ol' Loxonin (dunno if it has caffeine in it).

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

EVE is full of caffeine, Loxonin usually not but you should always check.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shredder posted:

Bron is a great NyQuil alternative as long as you have enough time to sleep it off. Just don't become an addict like all those reddit weirdos.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
We had the whole rigmarole of getting Pasmo Passports for friends since it seemed an old physical Suica I had laying around from previous trips no longer worked. International iPhones can get the digital Suica just fine but we couldn't find any way to get it working for non-Japanese Android phones for some reason - even big brand flagship ones.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Question Mark Mound posted:

We had the whole rigmarole of getting Pasmo Passports for friends since it seemed an old physical Suica I had laying around from previous trips no longer worked. International iPhones can get the digital Suica just fine but we couldn't find any way to get it working for non-Japanese Android phones for some reason - even big brand flagship ones.

So what did you end up doing for the non-Japanese Android users?

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

It's something like Android phones made outside Japan don't have the Felicia NFC chip enabled unless you install a custom rom, which requires root, which breaks contactless payments

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/FeliCa

The hardware is there but it's not enabled, it's dumb

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
^^^ that’s weird. Like what’s the benefit to not having it enabled to make the phone more useful?

Busy Bee posted:

So what did you end up doing for the non-Japanese Android users?
There’s a handful of stations that offer Pasmo Passports, I think one of the Shinjuku stations was one of them so we just made a couple of trips there.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
There's a licensing fee required to enable Felica NFC. Also not all androids have Felica tech installed but yeah, the ones that do have the tech (usually flagship phones) have it disabled for non-Japanese markets.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Zettace posted:

There's a licensing fee required to enable Felica NFC.

Buy Felica

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Buyee.jp should come with a warning label. I've spent $100 on used books (ostensibly good, for learning), and ofc this stupid thing followed me home too.

For 4,000 yen I couldn't afford not to!

Riptor posted:

Buy Felica

I appreciate this post.

I wanna say the Suica (I think?) card I got in 2022 was good for like ten years.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The Suica card I left in my hotel room in march was not in the lost and found in December.

I wouldn't have been surprised if they had it but am also kind of surprised that they didn't.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Shredder posted:

BRON liquid version works nearly as well.

BRON pill version is poo poo and doesn't knock you out.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Riptor posted:

Buy Felica

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Waltzing Along posted:

The Suica card I left in my hotel room in march was not in the lost and found in December.

I wouldn't have been surprised if they had it but am also kind of surprised that they didn't.

???

Even if it had been handed in it most probably would been disposed of after 6 months. Nowhere can be expected to just hold on to things forever.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Grand Fromage posted:

I slam a liter of Pocari on the walk home and that does the trick most of the time.

As a China goon with access to Pocari Sweat, I can speak from experience that it works wonders for hang overs.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.
Japan was my first ever international trip almost 20 years ago. Spent two weeks in and around Tokyo. It's been more than a decade since visiting anywhere in Asia, but I'm finally getting to go back soon. The bulk of my trip will be in South Korea, but I'm taking a day to spend in Fukuoka while I'm in the area since I've never been to the south of Japan.

I'll be arriving in the early afternoon and heading back to Seoul around the same time the next day. I'm have a small list of things to see and I'd love any suggestions. I'm also considering getting on the train to Nagasaki since it's only about 3 hours round-trip.

Also, any breweries/brewpubs worth a visit around Fukuoka and/or Nagasaki?

Accipiter fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jan 9, 2024

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

If you arrive/depart in the afternoon, then visiting Nagasaki isn't very realistic.
Get hosed up on ramen near Nakasukawabata and drink on the street and people watch imo.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/wVhxjwJP9sKrmHHs7

https://maps.app.goo.gl/EB3Dk4uucCJS1aYq6

peanut fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jan 9, 2024

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

peanut posted:

If you arrive/depart in the afternoon, then visiting Nagasaki isn't very realistic.
Get hosed up on ramen near Nakasukawabata and drink on the street and people watch imo.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/wVhxjwJP9sKrmHHs7

https://maps.app.goo.gl/EB3Dk4uucCJS1aYq6

Fair enough. I can keep it in my back pocket as an option, but I'll just plan on sitting Fukuoka the whole time.

Here's my Fukuoka list that I have so far:

- Ohori Park
- Atago-jinja Shrine
- Fukuoka Tower
- Ichiran Main Shop (NOODLES)
- Nakasu
- Aozora Brewery

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah, you would basically be heading out from Fukuoka to go do dinner and/or a stay overnight in Nagasaki, and same in the morning. Would recommend just staying in Fukuoka, especially since the core areas (Hakata/Tenjin/Nakasu) are both really close to one another, and Hakata and Hakata Station itself is less than 10 minutes by subway from the airport. It’s nuts.

Stop by a yatai street food spot in Nakasu, head to the river, and enjoy.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Dazaifu is the biggest-best shrine in the area.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

peanut posted:

Dazaifu is the biggest-best shrine in the area.

Checked that out on maps and it looks to be two quick train stops from Fukuoka's city center. Added that to my list. Thanks!

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Accipiter posted:

Japan was my first ever international trip almost 20 years ago. Spent two weeks in and around Tokyo. It's been more than a decade since visiting anywhere in Asia, but I'm finally getting to go back soon. The bulk of my trip will be in South Korea, but I'm taking a day to spend in Fukuoka while I'm in the area since I've never been to the south of Japan.

I'll be arriving in the early afternoon and heading back to Seoul around the same time the next day. I'm have a small list of things to see and I'd love any suggestions. I'm also considering getting on the train to Nagasaki since it's only about 3 hours round-trip.

Also, any breweries/brewpubs worth a visit around Fukuoka and/or Nagasaki?

It's not much time, definitely don't do Nagasaki if you only have 24 hours.

There's a big Gundam somewhere, that's probably worth a shash'.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Thinking back on Fukuoka, since it was the first place I ever went to in Japan. One thing I realize now about Japanese summer is that I don't give a poo poo if it's hot and humid so long as I'm not forced to wear a suit and walk down the street at X time and wait for a train to go to work and whatnot. I'm sure that I'll retire in Japan and will be able to just wear and go wherever I want, whenever I want. That's fine with me tbh.

In fact I definitely have nostalgia about going out on those hot and humid nights and hitting up the yatai places or going to the Seijoishii for some of that freakishly good cheesecake.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Pocari is great and I downed lots of it in Japan, but people deserve to know that it's got grapefruit juice, which can seriously gently caress up the amount of medication in your system. Not only prescribed stuff but OTC as well.

https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consumer-updates/grapefruit-juice-and-some-drugs-dont-mix

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
OS-1 is basically Pocari/Aquarius without the flavoring. It's what sick people drink to stay hydrated/electrolytized. Should work for hangover.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Suica cards are back on sale right? At least at the major Tokyo stations?

I'm flying into Narita in March, so if I take the Keisei Skyliner to Ueno, I should be able to buy one there right?

Kicking myself for returning my Pasmo card for the money back when I visited in 2019. Should have kept it lol.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Yeah you can get one at the Travel Service Centre desks now.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Looking at flights from Tokyo to Fukuoka just to see what prices are like. My trip isn't until November so I'm just trying to figure out what to budget for a flight, not actually book today.

Looks like flights are bumping up against $200 until we hit October and then they start to jump to like $800. Is this an actual seasonal thing, or is this just google flights throwing out some nonsense numbers because i'm looking at flights like 11 months out and I may as well be asking for prices for the year 2037? I'm hoping it's the latter.

Hoping to score a day or two at the Kyushu sumo tournament while I'm there in November but obviously tickets don't go on sale until later this year and I'm not booking any flights until I actually know what days I need to be in Fukuoka.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Good Listener posted:

Is there a good JR site which lists all the train station's hours and the like? I wanna see ahead of time when the last train back to Kamata is and such.

https://www.hyperdia.com/

there should be some options to search by first/last