Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Lockback posted:

How excited were you to dust off quake console command skills?

i haven't used a quake console in like 10 years and i can still tell you all the commands you need it owns so much lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Please help me up with my autoexec.bat file.

PhilsComputerLab has those all ready to go for you.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Kazinsal posted:

someone's gonna do an RTX Remix of Freelancer like the fanbase has always wanted and then immediately close source it without releasing anything, like every other loving Freelancer graphics engine upgrade over the past fifteen loving years

Everspace 2 feels like a sequel to Freelancer, at least.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Arivia posted:

PhilsComputerLab has those all ready to go for you.

always nice to see another Phil-head

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Please help me up with my autoexec.bat file.

Well first we need to figure out how much expanded and extended memory you need. And most importantly you need to print out an ASCI bart simpson so everyone knows you're a real hacker.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Look at me, a scrub who doesn't remember that quake uses .cfg

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
msi's slim revision has literally been out for a month, and now they're teasing a new limited design for ampere's super revisions

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1744408119378145342

at least they know we don't want cards the size of shoeboxes

e: whole product line

https://twitter.com/hermita_akiba/status/1744568725746151779

kliras fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jan 10, 2024

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i want a card the size of a shoebox if it's quieter

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

repiv posted:

i want a card the size of a shoebox if it's quieter
i "fixed" this by installing a custom loop way back when, but a big part of that bother being worth the effort of installing gpu blocks was also being able to overclock poo poo by 50%, now that said poo poo comes out of the factory already cooked to the point where people are getting perf boosts by undervolting, and also custom bioses being impossible, there's no point anymore

also, zero fans on idle is pretty much baseline now and i use headphones so i don't really mind if it's not silent while playing

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Aesthetically a GPU should be exactly the size that a case allows so that it looks like you really min/maxed your build.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i bought a giant tower specifically so i can never change the case again ever. for a moment there with with 1000/2000 and 6000 series it looked like the size war stopped for a moment but then 3090 and 4090 launched and lmao i'm still glad i did

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Salt Fish posted:

Aesthetically a GPU should be exactly the size that a case allows so that it looks like you really min/maxed your build.

Telescopic GPU is a v good idea

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Salt Fish posted:

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I will never ever go small form factor again. Upgrading it was such a pain in the rear end.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I will never ever go small form factor again. Upgrading it was such a pain in the rear end.

LMAO you don’t just upgrade one part in SFF. You build a whole new rig and put the old one in the closet.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

It's too bad you can't get a custom PC SFF build engineered the way the Xbox Series X is - afaik, they all cram cards like the 4090 as is

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

shrike82 posted:

It's too bad you can't get a custom PC SFF build engineered the way the Xbox Series X is - afaik, they all cram cards like the 4090 as is

Yeah, we should be putting the GPU on the same plane as the CPU is and putting a tower cooler on the GPU. The ATX standard has really passed its prime.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Animal posted:

LMAO you don’t just upgrade one part in SFF. You build a whole new rig and put the old one in the closet.

It was just my luck that one stick of ram turned out bad.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Twerk from Home posted:

Yeah, we should be putting the GPU on the same plane as the CPU is and putting a tower cooler on the GPU. The ATX standard has really passed its prime.

I'm wondering if, assuming ATX stays around, we're going to see movement back toward the old horizontal case orientation that ATX was originally designed around. A lot of things like anti-sag brackets become unnecessary if the mobo is horizontal and the giant, hulking, 5lb GPU is mounted vertically.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Just put the GPU in its own smaller case off to the side.
:shrug:

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Animal posted:

How small are we talking, ~14 liter cases are totally modular these days. I’ve swapped GPUs out of my Lian Li Q58 pretty easily

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

change my name posted:

How small are we talking, ~14 liter cases are totally modular these days. I’ve swapped GPUs out of my Lian Li Q58 pretty easily

My last build was on the DAN C4-SFX and it was a joy to build in. In fact I recently swapped the motherboard and it didn’t take considerably longer than it would have on ATX. It’s so satisfying seeing a 7800X3D + 4090 FE fit perfectly with great temperatures, the pinnacle of min-max builds.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Just attach the CPU, SSD and RAM to the GPU directly

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

apple silicon systems aren't far from that unironically

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Animal posted:

My last build was on the DAN C4-SFX and it was a joy to build in. In fact I recently swapped the motherboard and it didn’t take considerably longer than it would have on ATX. It’s so satisfying seeing a 7800X3D + 4090 FE fit perfectly with great temperatures, the pinnacle of min-max builds.

I think you just sold a C4-SFX

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Right so I'm only a dabbler in AI, made some 7 fingered people when it exploded about a year ago(!), funny ha ha. GPUs with more memory were nicer for AI, because you could make larger images.

But I'm not sure why, today, gaming GPUs should give a poo poo that "the AI market is the new crypto"? Looks like most serious AI image creators moved to hosted solutions, and all those GPT style trainers need gigantic servers anyway, you can't build an AI farm (whatever it would do) locally with Anus Strix Super Fucker Gaming 4090s like you could to mine Eth.

So like... what's the connection? Why are my Gaming GPU prices higher because of AI ?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

As was discussed earlier in this thread, packaging chips is a bottleneck. Nvidia would rather spend more effort into putting their chips into enterprise cards that sell for several thousands instead of $1,900.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

So like... what's the connection? Why are my Gaming GPU prices higher because of AI ?

As above, production is focusing more on AI
You can do a lot of playing with consumer GPUs even if you're not doing anything production-level, though this isn't nearly as much a factor as crypto, it is still a growth industry.
Overseas demand for GPUs is high and consumer-grade has an inside track. So markets in China and Brazil GPUs for AI development is in demand
NVidia in particular is not less beholden to the gaming market, which is probably good for them as the datacenter and business market is higher margin and probably more predictable.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

I think you just sold a C4-SFX

good luck they're no longer in production

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ijyt posted:

good luck they're no longer in production

v2 coming early 2024, I thought? maybe I misunderstood what I was skimming

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I've dealt with some sff cases in the past that were hell to work on, but my sliger conswole is pretty easy to deal with. I think a big difference is old desktop/VCR shaped rather than the little cubes. With the VCR shape you just pop the top and everything is right there without any digging around other parts. It's nbd to mount the GPU sideways. Temps aren't terrible on it and it's small enough to work as my weird house portable PC (it was an odd briefcase build that replaced a gaming laptop).

My main desktop PC is an ungodly huge case though for simplicity's sake. I'm not space limited in my office so why not have a case so gigantic that routing cables and such requires no fiddle and it runs cool enough. It's nice not having to ponder at all the size of whatever 4080 super I decide to buy.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

always nice to see another Phil-head

I bet you're not even surprised.

Honestly I think he's a bit of a blowhard, a dick and kind of a whiner sometimes. I don't like (at least his youtube persona) as a person. But there's no denying he's done yeoman's work for people enjoying retro computing, especially on DOS/early Windows. (Of course I still watch most poo poo he posts.)

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I had to use a pocket knife to lever off the side panel of my old Meshlicious build

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Truga posted:

i haven't used a quake console in like 10 years and i can still tell you all the commands you need it owns so much lmao

sv_cheats 1
iddqd
noclip

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Arivia posted:

I bet you're not even surprised.

Honestly I think he's a bit of a blowhard, a dick and kind of a whiner sometimes. I don't like (at least his youtube persona) as a person. But there's no denying he's done yeoman's work for people enjoying retro computing, especially on DOS/early Windows. (Of course I still watch most poo poo he posts.)

huh, he’s always seemed like a chill bald guy who likes to play with old computers to me. ive pointed some things out to him in the replies a few times and he’s been cool about it. different strokes i guess.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cygni posted:

huh, he’s always seemed like a chill bald guy who likes to play with old computers to me. ive pointed some things out to him in the replies a few times and he’s been cool about it. different strokes i guess.

the desktop I built in 2019 when I got back into serious PC hardware was actually inspired by one of his videos: it was one of those old-Xeon plus Chinese motherboard combos because I was enamored with the idea of scoring a six-core CPU at a time when my budget might not have been able to afford much more than a 9th-gen i3 if I bought brand-new

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

gradenko_2000 posted:

the desktop I built in 2019 when I got back into serious PC hardware was actually inspired by one of his videos: it was one of those old-Xeon plus Chinese motherboard combos because I was enamored with the idea of scoring a six-core CPU at a time when my budget might not have been able to afford much more than a 9th-gen i3 if I bought brand-new

yeah my laughably large cpu collection is at least partially his fault. videos of playin old games on Socket 7 boards inspired me to start collecting eBay ewaste in my home at an ever expanding scale. thanks Phil.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

ijyt posted:

Man apart for sam and max these look kinda fuckin terrible if the assets aren't up to scratch, which was kind of to be expected from the first reveals

Yeah, LMK when they can AI up some extra polygons on game models on the fly.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Where are things headed when it comes to TDP and PSU reqs for mid/high end GPUs in the next couple of years? Anyone know?

Another Q:
Are some GPUs so tall that you can't close the case? Saw this claim in a comment section somewhere - gpu being so tall, power connector taking up space, 35mm clearance needed - so that you can't have the side wall on the case on? Is that a real issue??

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jan 11, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Wifi Toilet posted:

Yeah, LMK when they can AI up some extra polygons on game models on the fly.

oh they could do that now. NVIDIA’s video-conferencing thing was basically doing that