Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I wish I could also work at your guys' dicksucking factories

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:

Barudak posted:

My boss gave me my year end review early to confirm Im in the top 2.5% of the entire org.

Someday Ill figure out what I do.

May i suggest you hire me, my pros are that I dont speak japanese and I have never worked Sales before.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Randy Travesty posted:

I got the note yesterday that says "don't sell anything else this month." There's 5000+ unprocessed tickets that are now my fault because I sold too much.

So you're the one selling Boeing planes that the door's fell off. Stop doing that!

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Atopian posted:

Tickets.

That's what it's called. Dropping a ticket.

When an advisor enters an order into an electronic order entry system at point of sale in this particular entry, it's a ticket. It attaches a ticket number, which then becomes a policy number.

Comstar posted:

So you're the one selling Boeing planes that the door's fell off. Stop doing that!

Worse. I also work for a large Japanese parent company that deals with financial matters.

I'm still not convinced that somehow barudak and I are going to cross paths and be in a conference room going "so, sold anything this year? Me either."

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Starting to seem like Japan's entire economy runs on not selling anything.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Everett False posted:

Was asked to disable the mailbox on the fax machine because going to the mailbox and entering the password (12345678) was too hard even with instructions tucked into the manual on the side of the machine. Looking forward to the daily printing of the same guy trying to sell us awnings, as well as the next time a vendor's fax machine fucks up and sends us a fax of the same invoice every five minutes for two days.

The funniest part is, as always, the fact that we have and use a fax machine in 2023.

We have in fact been getting regular faxes from the guy trying to sell us awnings. Also, when the tray that faxes print from hosed up, every attempt to fax us would cause the printer to be out of order until we could fish the crumpled paper out of the innards. If we did not immediately delete the fax and request they email us instead, it would try to print the fax again and jam again immediately in a sisyphean nightmare of paper. Because we don't have the mailbox enabled there was no option to send the fax to our local server as a scan instead.

Anyway here's a cool fax we got today.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Everett False posted:

We have in fact been getting regular faxes from the guy trying to sell us awnings. Also, when the tray that faxes print from hosed up, every attempt to fax us would cause the printer to be out of order until we could fish the crumpled paper out of the innards. If we did not immediately delete the fax and request they email us instead, it would try to print the fax again and jam again immediately in a sisyphean nightmare of paper. Because we don't have the mailbox enabled there was no option to send the fax to our local server as a scan instead.

In my first real office job, one of my tasks each day was to view the incoming faxes via our efax system, and only print out the actual sales forms from the clients. I was an IT dude, hired to help do a bunch of poo poo my boss was too busy for. But we'd get a ton of legit faxes, and then you know, 900 spam faxes with random poo poo just like the above. Fortunately my boss had a coke habit, blammed his lovely work on me, and got me fired. That's how I ended up never touching a fax machine or printer for work again.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Everett False posted:

Fax machines are cool because you get to waste someone else's paper, ink and printing time for spam that you send. It's better than spam marketing calls because they might not get the option to just stop getting their time wasted by hanging up.

lmao at the Ron Paul mention at the end.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

I was alone in the office when it came in and when I saw Ron Paul I cackled out loud like a gremlin.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

We have three tiers of work poo poo happening.

A project is basically a quarter, we say "for the next x months we are going to do this work" and stretches across our whole delivery team.

A product is a major (i.e. 1.x) release of one of our systems (usually but not always within a project). This might be specific to a development team.

An iteration is usually (but not always) a 4 week period where a development team works on a product.

For each of these we have a checklist with multiple stages. A project has 4 stages - a pre-planning stage where the management have a rough idea of what they want, a planning stage where this is fleshed out into actual features, a commit stage where we check we have capacity to do that, and a completion stage where we talk about what was done. A product has roughly similar steps but with an extra production release step at the end, and an iteration only has three - planning, commit, completion.

My boss goes through this checklist pretty rigorously. He finds time in everyone's diaries to hold meetings to go through each of the questions, some of which are quite important. I've been doing some work recently to tidy up/improve the QA parts of it because it asks questions that everyone just says "Yes" to and doesn't deliver any value - the Security guys did the same just before Christmas. It's a lot of work for him to go through and find the time and fill things out.

We've discovered, as part of my review and his own work, that none of the other delivery teams loving bother with any of it. On the rare occasions they actually fill out the checklist, it's either done on the same day (so they complete and production release on the same day, when it's supposed to go to another team to verify) or they've just copied information from the previous one. Most of the time, though, it's entirely blank. Leading my boss and I to wonder what the gently caress are they actually doing?

Like yes I get that it's mostly just paperwork and everyone hates paperwork, but as I said there are some important questions about things like security and performance. Unsurprisingly, these delivery teams also generate the highest number of customer issues (which we're now having to help the Ops team to sort out because they're completely snowed under). Our director is pissed off with quality and is now funneling more money into the department to try and fix it. I'm pretty sure the mess would be massively helped by the delivery team leads actually doing their jobs.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

We got mail today that told me I needed to contact a Canadian lawyer to collect my inheritance from my father's estate.

No one in my family has ever been to Canada, much less died there. The name the letter used for my dad doesn't appear on our family tree at all.

I thought it was funny but I feel bad for the girl they sent to deliver it to me because she was incredibly nervous handing me this file.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Are you going to contact the guy? It's free money.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Thought about it and using the corp bank account if he needs details.

Either I miss out on that dosh and the company gets it, or they get frauded again.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Ravus Ursus posted:

We got mail today that told me I needed to contact a Canadian lawyer to collect my inheritance from my father's estate.

No one in my family has ever been to Canada, much less died there. The name the letter used for my dad doesn't appear on our family tree at all.

I thought it was funny but I feel bad for the girl they sent to deliver it to me because she was incredibly nervous handing me this file.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth: someone in Canada died, and you stand to benefit!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
You say that, but after sending tens of thousands of dollars to that Canadian Prince over a couple years I'm starting to think they may not be on the up and up.

Very polite though.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Hold on. Are you being asked to do the needful at any point?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Takes No Damage posted:

Dumb poo poo someone else's work did (this is in a hospital) :

There were a bunch of patients that died in a hospital in like boston? from this exact thing. Immunocompromised patients can get completely fuckin wrecked by poo poo like this.

https://arstechnica.com/science/202...gation%20found.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Space Kablooey posted:

Fax machines are cool because you get to waste someone else's paper, ink and printing time for spam that you send. It's better than spam marketing calls because they might not get the option to just stop getting their time wasted by hanging up.

lmao at the Ron Paul mention at the end.

With the very old school fax machines that used large rollers in their inputs, what you could do was take an entirely black piece of paper, feed it through, tape the ends together to form a loop, and then fax it to somebody after hours. So by the time their office opened they had used up all of their paper and toner, all for the cost of a single phone call.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
holy poo poo to that hospital ice maker.

i was the event manager at a venue and CONSTANTLY had to ride the bar managers rear end to keep the ice machine up to par

but i guess i took a hospitality gig way too late in life, cuz I talked to that bar manager in a bit of a tone I would when an arborist would do something dangerous in my old career. and then suddenly im the Not Chill Guy on management

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Everett False posted:

That has the same vibe as this, highly recommended "Sovereign Citizen" case.

Volmarias posted:

For those who haven't seen it, but actually weirdly enjoy otherwise dry reading, you may wish to read Meads v. Meads, the canonical "judge is sick of this sovcit poo poo" ruling. There's also a follow up about how that's turned out for judges who want to use the ruling to short circuit the bullshit.

peanut fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 11, 2024

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I unfortunately expect there's a reason for that.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

peanut posted:

Thank you so much for this. I knew this was gonna be good but i saw the Wesley Snipes bit and had to take a pause to collect myself. I love this poo poo.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Breetai posted:

With the very old school fax machines that used large rollers in their inputs, what you could do was take an entirely black piece of paper, feed it through, tape the ends together to form a loop, and then fax it to somebody after hours. So by the time their office opened they had used up all of their paper and toner, all for the cost of a single phone call.

Incredible.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Rawrbomb posted:

I ended up never touching a fax machine or printer for work again.

Gosh I wish that was me

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I ruined the IT intern's life by telling all the boomer coworkers that he is a printer repair expert.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

McGavin posted:

I ruined the IT intern's life by telling all the boomer coworkers that he is a printer repair expert.

:mods:

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Further conversations around the plant reveal that it isn’t the personal vendetta they have with me that’s got the last HR person trying to revoke our OT pay, it’s the brainchild of my immediate boss, who doesn’t like:

1. That he’s having to pay extra to have some of us come in on the weekend to do his Monday meeting prep work for him (he, uh, didn’t exactly phrase it this way)

2. He’s jealous we get it and he doesn’t. (He literally said it was unfair)

3. He thinks the work week should be 50 hours as a bare minimum.

E: I’ve got to find another job

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

McGavin posted:

Dude...

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Breetai posted:

IIRC, Anonymous did this to Scientology offices across the US when it was trendy.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

peanut posted:

I wonder if at any point in the writing of that, the judge reflected on *why* it is so easy for so many people to believe that the legal system is a complex, arbitrary network unrelated to reality or common sense in which success or failure hinges on the correct incantations?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Atopian posted:

I wonder if at any point in the writing of that, the judge reflected on *why* it is so easy for so many people to believe that the legal system is a complex, arbitrary network unrelated to reality or common sense in which success or failure hinges on the correct incantations?

Yes, chapter 4.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Ha, nice.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Whole org (4000+) got an email with the subject line “*company we work for* is closing down!” and absolute loving anarchy ensued.

They’re changing some partner program and the email was triggered by their system as a heads up that our account with that partner is closing down, lol.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Whole org (4000+) got an email with the subject line “*company we work for* is closing down!” and absolute loving anarchy ensued.

They’re changing some partner program and the email was triggered by their system as a heads up that our account with that partner is closing down, lol.

Goddamn, that's art.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
All hands meeting today to announce that the new CEO has been "terminated immediately" and that the founding director will be taking over again.

Third CEO in two years. This latest one lasted 6 months and the only noticeable thing he did was change the logo from blue to green. Lots of talks about sustainability and wind power considering that we're an oil and gas contractor.

Turnover is so high that we have almost no one left who actually knows what they are doing. Company ran on people and scaled massively in its first few years without proper procedure and documentation in place. People left, training is poor so we've got brain drain that gets worse with every iteration of the people getting ground down and leaving. As people leave, positions don't get filled so folks get spread thin and burn out.

Director plans to "steady the ship" by closing down the city office and moving everyone down to the workshop that has very little room and no public transport access.

It's going to decimate the project management and design teams, mood is foul all around.

After the move it'll be the 5th time I've had to rebuild my team essentially from scratch and I'm pretty over it. I've got solid job security as the director thinks I'm magic and desperately wants to keep me but there's gotta be a limit.

The trick as always is to disconnect and not give a gently caress about the disfunction but I struggle to not try to fix things.

I just wanna play with scan data and model things

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Holy poo poo literal greenwashing

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

McGavin posted:

this is violence.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Abongination posted:

All hands meeting today to announce that the new CEO has been "terminated immediately" and that the founding director will be taking over again.

Third CEO in two years. This latest one lasted 6 months and the only noticeable thing he did was change the logo from blue to green. Lots of talks about sustainability and wind power considering that we're an oil and gas contractor.

Turnover is so high that we have almost no one left who actually knows what they are doing. Company ran on people and scaled massively in its first few years without proper procedure and documentation in place. People left, training is poor so we've got brain drain that gets worse with every iteration of the people getting ground down and leaving. As people leave, positions don't get filled so folks get spread thin and burn out.

Director plans to "steady the ship" by closing down the city office and moving everyone down to the workshop that has very little room and no public transport access.

It's going to decimate the project management and design teams, mood is foul all around.

After the move it'll be the 5th time I've had to rebuild my team essentially from scratch and I'm pretty over it. I've got solid job security as the director thinks I'm magic and desperately wants to keep me but there's gotta be a limit.

The trick as always is to disconnect and not give a gently caress about the disfunction but I struggle to not try to fix things.

I just wanna play with scan data and model things

This is where I'm at, and my place has the same issues with brain drain.

My place passed over me as PM for an outside hire. The scuttlebutt from my information network is that the interviewers just wanted a stooge to take the blame for failing projects.

Lmao, that ain't me.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

McGavin posted:

My God, what did he do to you to deserve this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

It was either him or me.