Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

X-O posted:

The only floppies I've bought in the last 15 years are two or three CGC books so I can't very well look inside them.

I think you should. For science. :science:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
I wonder if every comic in the 2099 miniseries is going to end with ”So we shipped them off to another planet. Problem solved!”

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Either that or throw into the sun.

These 2099 minis are kinda cool, not quite an ongoing but they're released enough to have a cohesive continuity.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
ultimate spidey good

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

site posted:

ultimate spidey good

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Very good. I didn't know what all to expect but I was very pleased with what I read. Definitely in for a ride in this new universe.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
As somebody with a beard who frequently wears a (KN95) mask, my real question is how Ultimate Peter is gonna make that work.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Daredevil made it work for a while.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I will never not be a little disappointed in extended hero origins, as in I wanted some Spidey action, but Ultimate #1 was cool so far. I'm guessing there is a master plan for the whole UU2 here because it's not a clean slate start but reliant on some other continuity and we get knowledge about how things "should" be.

Wanderer posted:

As somebody with a beard who frequently wears a (KN95) mask, my real question is how Ultimate Peter is gonna make that work.

Pico! Pico! Picotech!

srypher
Jun 3, 2011

Really?
jjj being a positive presence in peter's life makes me so happy, peter's reveal to him in zdarsky's run is one of my all-time favorite comic moments. i'm hoping they don't touch symbiote stuff with a ten foot pole at least for a while

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
First Marvel thing I read in years. I guess I should've expected that a 4 part mini-series was required reading, it's a marvel thing after all.

Nonetheless really good! Can always trust on Hickman, and Ben and JJJ's relationship is an immediate highlight.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 11, 2024

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I don't know if it got posted or not, but Deniz Camp confirmed he is writing the new ongoing Ultimates title coming later this year. You may know him from the recent Children of the Vault mini which was awesome.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

MorningMoon posted:

First Marvel thing I read in years. I guess I should've expected that a 4 part mini-series was required reading, it's a marvel thing after all.

Nonetheless really good! Can always trust on Hickman, and Ben and JJJ's relationship is an immediate highlight.

Cool!

What stuff from that Ultimate Invasion mini-series do we need to know for Spidey?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Heavy Metal posted:

Cool!

What stuff from that Ultimate Invasion mini-series do we need to know for Spidey?

The recap page gives you the basics you need to know.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Right on, thanks.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Us Matrix Resurrections fans are eating so fuckin good with this and Alan Wake II giving us stories in conversation with their original works featuring older, bearded versions of the protagonist

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

srypher posted:

jjj being a positive presence in peter's life makes me so happy, peter's reveal to him in zdarsky's run is one of my all-time favorite comic moments. i'm hoping they don't touch symbiote stuff with a ten foot pole at least for a while

Wasn't the ultimate symbiote a science experiment that was cooked up by by Richard Parker and Eddie Brock's dad? If Peter's not even a science guy I don't know how it would come up

I liked Ultimate Spider-Man okay but I keep finding myself having to go "No, but this is an alternate Ultimate universe" whenever I start thinking of things to whine about like an annoying comic book fan, like MJ and Peter getting together without Spider-Man's influence

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

OnimaruXLR posted:

I liked Ultimate Spider-Man okay but I keep finding myself having to go "No, but this is an alternate Ultimate universe" whenever I start thinking of things to whine about like an annoying comic book fan, like MJ and Peter getting together without Spider-Man's influence

Why would MJ and Peter being together be an issue? We know this is quite the curveball of a universe but if the Parkers and Watsons were still neighbours then that's a natural connection for Pete and MJ regardless Spider-Man.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I really liked the premise of the this new Spider-Man, I think it's a really interesting idea that I want to see them explore. But the execution wasn't perfect. The last page straight up annoyed me. Why did they pull the silhouette bullshit? Either he has the Spider-Man suit on the cover or he doesn't. If he does, then you should have ended the first issue of this new Spider-Man #1with a big page showing us Spider-Man. It's the first issue, close it with a hero shot! Holding it off until the second issue is pointless since we've already seen it on the cover. If it's not the normal Spider-Man suit, then showing that would have been a good last second twist, ooh there's more to this Spider-Man journey then you thought, come back next time to find out!

Either end on a hero shot or on a surprise twist. Splitting the difference and doing neither was so loving anti-climactic.

Also, I'm not sure how I feel about Kingpin killing Aunt May in 9/11 2. That's pretty weird.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

Gripweed posted:

Also, I'm not sure how I feel about Kingpin killing Aunt May in 9/11 2. That's pretty weird.

Wasn't the attack done by The Maker but made to look like Stark did it? All I can see Kingpin doing so far is taking over the Bugle

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

Wasn't the attack done by The Maker but made to look like Stark did it? All I can see Kingpin doing so far is taking over the Bugle

I just assumed so because Osborn was introduced and all we learned about him was he was mad about 9/11 2, and then it's suggested Tony Stark didn't do 9/11 2 as everyone thought, and then we saw Green Goblin attacking Kingpin. So I assumed Kingpin must've been the one who did it because why else would the guy whose entire character is "mad about 9/11 2" be attacking him?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
need to read ultimate universe

site fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 11, 2024

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

site posted:

need to read ultimate invasion

Isn’t the whole point of Ultimate that it’s largely self contained stories for new readers?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
turns out that when you launch a new universe with a 4 issue mini and then a one shot that sets up the whole thing if you want to know the setup you gotta read the setup

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Gripweed posted:

Isn’t the whole point of Ultimate that it’s largely self contained stories for new readers?

this is loving Marvel lmao it's never gonna be taht simple again

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
think of it like this, you're reading hickman's x-men 1 without reading hoxpox first

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

site posted:

turns out that when you launch a new universe with a 4 issue mini and then a one shot that sets up the whole thing if you want to know the setup you gotta read the setup

But I don’t care about that stuff I just want to read Spider-Man.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Gripweed posted:

But I don’t care about that stuff I just want to read Spider-Man.

Too bad.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Lobok posted:

Why would MJ and Peter being together be an issue? We know this is quite the curveball of a universe but if the Parkers and Watsons were still neighbours then that's a natural connection for Pete and MJ regardless Spider-Man.

So much of their (616) relationship is couched in MJ being Peter's confidant re: Spider-Man things I have a hard time imagining them having much to do with each other otherwise

But in the Ultimate universe they were childhood friends so it's neither here nor there

I was gonna make some played out jokes about someone being able to afford an apartment for four in Manhattan on a reporter's salary but given that 9-11 2 happened in this universe maybe the news business is hopping

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

OnimaruXLR posted:

So much of their (616) relationship is couched in MJ being Peter's confidant re: Spider-Man things I have a hard time imagining them having much to do with each other otherwise

But in the Ultimate universe they were childhood friends so it's neither here nor there

I was gonna make some played out jokes about someone being able to afford an apartment for four in Manhattan on a reporter's salary but given that 9-11 2 happened in this universe maybe the news business is hopping

They were off and on again for years before she knew he was Spider-Man. And the main reason for the off parts were complications due to him being Spider-Man and hiding that from her.

Mohawk Potato
Jan 15, 2008

So I just saw some panels from the new ultimate spider-man and I just have to ask is it good? Will I be able to read a spider-man story that doesn’t piss me off something I haven’t been able to say in like 15 years

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Mohawk Potato posted:

So I just saw some panels from the new ultimate spider-man and I just have to ask is it good? Will I be able to read a spider-man story that doesn’t piss me off something I haven’t been able to say in like 15 years

it's really more of a Uncle Ben story than a Spider-Man story, but it's a good Uncle Ben story so take that as you will.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Mohawk Potato posted:

It's very good and I love the new reason why Peter becomes Spider-Man in this universe.

Also come on Gripweed. You don't even need to have read everything before this issue to see what was going on. Harry is mad that he lost his parents. We don't know who the Green Goblin is. We don't know why he attacked Kingpin. We do know that Tony Stark was blamed for what happened, and that's all you really need to know. The stuff before this will give you the background to it all and you can see it was the Maker who was responsible for all that and Tony got the blame, and you can see how Tony got the device that was delivered to Peter. But everything else you need to know is in the issue.

Codependent Poster fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jan 11, 2024

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Agree that Ultimate Spidey was good.

I also really like McKay's Avengers so far. It feels rare these days to get what is essentially an entire issue fight scene that also contains characterization, intrigue, and legible action rather than a couple of impressionistic panels.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

nemesis_hub posted:

Agree that Ultimate Spidey was good.

I also really like McKay's Avengers so far. It feels rare these days to get what is essentially an entire issue fight scene that also contains characterization, intrigue, and legible action rather than a couple of impressionistic panels.
I'm not trusting that series until Bats gets the Avengers spot he deserves

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it seems pretty clear to me. the bugle actually investigated 9/11 2 instead of repeating the official line (wildly implausible, i know), then fisk took it over and put a stop to that. if you are starting from the basis that there is a coverup, fisk is very obviously involved.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Nessus posted:

I'm not trusting that series until Bats gets the Avengers spot he deserves

Unlike lesser, flightier heroes, Bats has the true commitment to stay dedicated to one great book at a time. :colbert:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Codependent Poster posted:

Also come on Gripweed. You don't even need to have read everything before this issue to see what was going on. Harry is mad that he lost his parents. We don't know who the Green Goblin is. We don't know why he attacked Kingpin. We do know that Tony Stark was blamed for what happened, and that's all you really need to know. The stuff before this will give you the background to it all and you can see it was the Maker who was responsible for all that and Tony got the blame, and you can see how Tony got the device that was delivered to Peter. But everything else you need to know is in the issue.

Yeah, I read Ultimate Spidey without reading anything else and sure enough it was easy to follow. People love to throw around that meme about Western vs. Japanese comics where you've got to do all this stuff to read any Western character but honestly you can just jump in anywhere like we all did I'm sure and Ultimate Spider-Man #1 makes it dead easy.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah it didn't seem particularly complicated to me or feel like any other book was required reading. The little paragraph does enough to set it up, bad guy did a thing, they're living in that world without knowing he's running things, that's probably going to become the focus over the course of the larger story but they'll tell you what you need to know as it builds to that, in the meantime this Spider-Man is going to be doing some Spider-Man poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, I read Ultimate Spidey without reading anything else and sure enough it was easy to follow. People love to throw around that meme about Western vs. Japanese comics where you've got to do all this stuff to read any Western character but honestly you can just jump in anywhere like we all did I'm sure and Ultimate Spider-Man #1 makes it dead easy.

As someone who didn't like the lead in stuff at all, this is definitely true. It is dead easy to get what is going on. In fact they say it, "A terrorist attack killed a lot of people". They how and why is beyond the knowledge of what the main character has, and if it matters it will come up normally in the course of the story.

Books that require you to read any significant amount of earlier works and present themselves as the start of something are poorly written. Same thing for reading any Marvel events, if it is actually important it will be in the main mini.

A single page of text at the beginning should be all you need.